BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In any group of people you get some ego maniac assholes with extremely high opinions of themselves.  That being said all of the polling I've seen seems to suggest on average atheists are more educated than highly religious people.  See the pew global website for polls.  

If someone is more educated than someone else they may or may not be more intelligent... But on average they probably are, although that doesn't mean their ideas are correct.  However, as an atheist I tend to think that the ideas of all religions, that I am familiar with, are erroneous.

Btw did I tell you I have a high iq?  

I've never met an atheist that said the type of shit that you posted.  

I have heard people say things like they can't understand how intelligent people could believe in nonsense (ie religions)
View Quote
This is the sort of dispassionate, even-handed response that anyone, religious or areligious, can applaud for its restraint and logic.  It shows that not all atheists are preening, thin-skinned buffoons.  Even a highly religious individual (such as myself) can find nothing logically objectionable in its content, which is the entire point--a point which escapes those who turn to atheism as some sort of fetishistic symbol of intelligence.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:27:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Put that little bitch in the open of an artillery barrage and let me know the name he is screaming to.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I've met alot of really dumb people in my career. Most of the self describe atheists are not so much idiots or morons as just plain assholes to be around in the first place.

Nearly every atheist I have met is anti-gun, pro abortion, and loves Bernie. And nearly every one of them is flat broke 100% of the time and asks to borrow money (which I politely refuse).

That said, I've met some bum-fuck stupid self described "Christians" who can hardly screw in a lightbulb w/o watching a youtube video over ... and over ... and over again.

There is no religion (or anti-religion) that has a market cornered on stupidity. Just evil and selfishness is what I have witnessed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Offended by star wars because it is fake?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Religious people are less intelligent on average than atheists because faith is an instinct and clever people are better at rising above their instincts, researchers have claimed.

The theory — called the 'Intelligence-Mismatch Association Model' — was proposed by a pair of authors who set out to explain why numerous studies over past decades have found religious people to have lower average intelligence than people who do not believe in a god.

A 2013 analysis by University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 out of 63 historic studies.

A negative correlation between intelligence and religion makes sense if religion is considered an instinct, and intelligence the ability to rise above one's instincts, say researchers Edward Dutton and Dimitri van der Linden in their new paper published today.
View Quote
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/atheists-more-intelligent-than-religious-people-faith-instinct-cleverness-a7742766.html

Just to spell it out for the more obtuse among us, atheists aren't necessarily more intelligent than religious people, but intelligent people are more likely to be atheists.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just to spell it out for the more obtuse among us, atheists aren't necessarily more intelligent than religious people, but intelligent people are more likely to be atheists.
View Quote
Not really... Most atheists are very vocal about their hatred of Christians and hide/run in the face of Islam. That doesn't make them more "intelligent", just openly two-faced blow hards.

Niel DG is not a super genius as he pretends... cucker has his PhD in ballroom dance, not astrophysics.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not really... Most atheists are very vocal about their hatred of Christians and hide/run in the face of Islam. That doesn't make them more "intelligent", just openly two-faced blow hards.

Niel DG is not a super genius as he pretends... cucker has his PhD in ballroom dance, not astrophysics.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you didn't read anything I referenced before your emotional outburst.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Atheism isn't an IQ test, its a ego test.  Atheism appeals to our base selfish instincts.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As an atheist that happens to be a former infantryman and has fought muslims... fuck off in the most sincere way possible. I hope a Muslim is fucking your daughter right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm glad that they have a degree of modesty.  They can burn in hell with the Muslims.
As an atheist that happens to be a former infantryman and has fought muslims... fuck off in the most sincere way possible. I hope a Muslim is fucking your daughter right now.
Seriously?    You actually wrote that and then actually hit Submit.  No sympathy for you here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"Account suicide"
View Quote
Dude that was full retard shit. Edit it and apologize to the dude even if what he posted was inflammatory as hell. They will ban you for bringing in family.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's the fundamentalists who hold power (socially and theologically).

Agnostic-Theists, theological liberals and deists who grapple with the issues honestly are rare (they'll also often play cover for the fundamentalists).

Holistically, you defeat them by educating them.
View Quote
I prefer the Roman way.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First time anybody's ever confused me with being a believer. My post that you quoted is just looking at what I see going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You believers take religion too seriously, that's why you will never win an argument, only thing left is the bitter after taste.
First time anybody's ever confused me with being a believer. My post that you quoted is just looking at what I see going on.
Soda came out of my nose when I read that.

ETA: should have scrolled down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
They _______, but we ______.

If what your saying follows that pattern, then you aren't as smart as you think you are. That goes for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seriously dude you should be banned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the Muslims in the Middle East.  Generally low IQs in addition to poor education.  Extremely religious.  What is the cause?

Look at who is most religious in America.  The poorly educated.  Is it because of the lack of education?  Or is there an actual dearth of intelligence?

Intelligent people can be religious, but there is a strong negative correlation.
Seriously dude you should be banned.
@hotbiggun42

What for?  

The most religious in America are the least educated.  Are facts worthy of a ban?

To be honest, I thought the correlation was stronger.

A study found the correlation between IQ and atheism to be 0.60.  This means a moderate to strong correlation.  

Another study showed that the correlation between low educational attainment and religion was present but decreasing.

It would seem to be that the correlation is between low intelligence and religion.  The fact that well-educated people are more likely to be atheists is probably due to higher intelligence rather than to more education, with higher education simply being an artifact of higher intelligence.  Note:  This last statement is a conjecture, not a fact.

To be clear, there are some very intelligent people who believe in God.  I am not stating that only dumb people believe in God, or that believing in God makes one stupid.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:33:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@hotbiggun42

What for?  

The most religious in America are the least educated.  Are facts worthy of a ban?

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/04/25101955/PF.04.26.2017_-useducation-00-02.png

A study found the correlation between IQ and atheism to be 0.60.  This means a moderate to strong correlation.  

Another study showed that the correlation between low educational attainment and religion was present but decreasing.

It would seem to be that the correlation is between low intelligence and religion.  The fact that well-educated people are more likely to be atheists is probably due to higher intelligence rather than to more education, with higher education simply being an artifact of higher intelligence.  Note:  This last statement is a conjecture, not a fact.

To be clear, there are some very intelligent people who believe in God.  I am not stating that only dumb people believe in God, or that believing in God makes one stupid.
View Quote
The problem with those statistics is that atheism and religion aren't the only two answers.  I can't find it, but I recall a case study where they examined the beliefs of the dozen or so people with the highest recorded IQ's from various tests.  Their views on God ranged everywhere from traditional religion to atheism to various forms of non-religious theism.  This also matches the great philosophers where you have the whole range from Decartes (Catholic) to Socrates (non-traditional theism) to Nietzsche (atheist).

Any time you measure "the traditional beliefs" of a people versus something else you're going to get a rural-urban split, and the correlating education/IQ differences.  The people in the countryside are always more conservative and adhere more strongly to the traditional beliefs.  In ancient Rome the pagans were in the countryside and the dangerous radicals were Christians in the cities.  Now the Christians are in the countryside and the dangerous radicals are atheists in the cities.  In Iran the Mullahs are supported by the traditionalists in the countryside and opposed by radicals in the cities.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:41:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@hotbiggun42

What for?  

http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2017/04/25101955/PF.04.26.2017_-useducation-00-02.png

View Quote
Well presented argument.  Bonus debate points for good citations and the caveats when you presented your conjecture.  I agree with the findings and see it in everyday life.

I would say that often highly educated/intelligent people will publicly attest to a belief in the accepted religion of their social circles in order to fit in.  I lied for years and still do to some people (75 YO father).  As far as intellect goes, I am not a stupid person.  I quit posting inflammatory responses a while back when I realized I was just feeding trolls the majority of the time.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well presented argument.  Bonus debate points for good citations and the caveats when you presented your conjecture.  I agree with the findings and see it in everyday life.

I would say that often highly educated/intelligent people will publicly attest to a belief in the accepted religion of their social circles in order to fit in.  I lied for years and still do to some people (75 YO father).  As far as intellect goes, I am not a stupid person.  I quit posting inflammatory responses a while back when I realized I was just feeding trolls the majority of the time.
View Quote
Dumbest shit I've ever read.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
For me, religion provides entertainment.

I have a co-worker who is extremely devoted Evangelical Christian.  The very first day I came to work, he gave me a copy of Billy Graham's book and CD, I know what was ahead of me right a way.

I kept my mouth shut for the first 2 years, I finally realized he's not gonna stop.  Then I started treating the preaching as fun times at work, it does make my days go by faster.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Feel free to rebut his position.  We can hope you will provide proper cites and caveat your personal positions.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Feel free to rebut his position.  We can hope you will provide proper cites and caveat your personal positions.
View Quote
So, Athiest keep their beliefs to themselves, why? So they can fit in. Lol. Like you are some kind of genetic anomalie lol, if the Christians found out the truth you guys carry in your noodles surely you would be crucified. Lol.

This guy thinks he is so brilliant that if he told his 75 year old father what he has figured out  it would what, blow his mind?
Like his 75 year old pa was never young and thought he knew the secrets to the universe. Haha.

Atheism is not some new mutant gene that only a few gifted posses. Lol.

WTF is wrong with some of you knuckle heads?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So, Athiest keep their beliefs to themselves, why? So they can fit in. Lol. Like you are some kind of genetic anomalie lol, if the Christians found out the truth you guys carry in your noodles surely you would be crucified. Lol.

This guy thinks he is so brilliant that if he told his 75 year old father what he has figured out  it would what, blow his mind?
Like his 75 year old pa was never young and thought he knew the secrets to the universe. Haha.

View Quote
I honestly think there's a tidal wave of Atheists/non-believers whom call themselves Christian/religious/etc.

Trump beat Cruz during the Republican nomination. It was the non-weekly attenders that nominated Trump. Actual committed Evangelicals (the weekly attending) wanted Cruz, the SBC wanted Cruz, etc. Like it or not, everybody knows Trump is pretty much the antithesis of Evangelicalism.

It's a tribal label for most. The religious fundamentalist will also ostracize those outside the group, so it's better to keep the tribal label (even if one doesn't really believe).
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I honestly think there's a tidal wave of Atheists/non-believers whom call themselves Christian/religious/etc.

Trump beat Cruz during the Republican nomination. It was the non-weekly attenders that nominated Trump. Actual committed Evangelicals (the weekly attending) wanted Cruz, the SBC wanted Cruz, etc. Like it or not, everybody knows Trump is pretty much the antithesis of Evangelicalism.

It's a tribal label for most. The religious fundamentalist will also ostracize those outside the group, so it's better to keep the tribal label (even if one doesn't really believe).
View Quote
Not in this century bud. Athiest have been around as long as man has existed.
You can put your life in the hands in politicians who believe they are the highest power on earth. I will take my chances on those who fear their actions will be judged by a higher power.

Trump says he is a Christian and I believe him. If he's lying well not much I can do about it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you quote a person make sure you write in a form that addresses them, not about them.  

You are sure shine your light well, don't you.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is exactly the point I was making.

WRT Trump, he has presented nothing to indicate he would be considered an evangelical.  I personally think he fits in the category like you have stated.  He appears to me to be a "tribal believer" in order to fit in.  Cruz lost because he sold his beliefs which turned many off before they ever looked his positions.  He was pandering is faith and nothing is more pretentious.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you may have confused him
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When you quote a person make sure you write in a form that addresses them, not about them.  

You are sure shine your light well, don't you.  
View Quote
this guy thinks he has it all figured out! He must be young.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I think you may have confused him
View Quote
Hoe so?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not in this century bud. Athiest have been around as long as man has existed.
You can put your life in the hands in politicians who believe they are the highest power on earth. I will take my chances on those who fear their actions will be judged by a higher power.

Trump says he is a Christian and I believe him. If he's lying well not much I can do about it.
View Quote

[cringe]

------------------------

Cruz would also have been the nominee if people really cared (whom the weekly-attending Evangelicals wanted to nominate). Trump was nominated by the non-weekly attenders.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's pretty clear that you don't personally know any atheists.  But don't let that get in your way; your insights into their intellect and motivations are nothing short of dazzling.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#31]
I started college a liberal and an atheist.  I left college a Christian and a Republican.  There is a common consensus, both quantitative and qualitative, that college graduates are no longer increasing their critical thinking and problem solving capacity over non college graduates.  I will take a kid with a vision and no college over a college grad any day of the week.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I started college a liberal and an atheist.  I left college a Christian and a Republican.  There is a common consensus, both quantitative and qualitative, that college graduates are no longer increasing their critical thinking and problem solving capacity over non college graduates.  I will take a kid with a vision and no college over a college grad any day of the week.
View Quote
What if they have a vision of another God?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:24:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Indeed they do.  As the great poet Bob Dylan once said:

You may be an ambassador to England or France
You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes
Indeed you're gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So, Athiest keep their beliefs to themselves, why?
View Quote
Because it's none of your business, nor is there any reason for me to bring it up unsolicited.   A position that some Christians find difficult to abide by.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:01:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you will take someone who worships the Devil cloaking as God over a college grad any day of the week?

How do you know that you're not worshiping the Devil cloaked as God and he's worshiping the real God?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:09:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Put that little bitch in the open of an artillery barrage and let me know the name he is screaming to.
View Quote
Usually it is "Mother."
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:35:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Its k.

Yuppy atheists don't multiply.

The future belongs to the jimmy rays, jaquarius's, and the Juan Carlos's and not the skyler's and the rian's.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:29:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Its k.

The future belongs to the jimmy rays, jaquarius's, and the Juan Carlos's and not the skyler's and the rian's.
View Quote
India has a billion people, how come the future/present doesn't belong to them?

Economic/cultural productivity is more important.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Because it's none of your business, nor is there any reason for me to bring it up unsolicited.   A position that some Christians find difficult to abide by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, Athiest keep their beliefs to themselves, why?
Also because of the desire to be accepted by the society.   It is not uncommon to hear people being qualified by their beliefs.  How many times have I heard "He is such a good Christian man."? His belief is used to qualify him as a good person, not his actions.   I find that statement to be on of the most erroneous statements a person can make about another.   It puts his beliefs before his actions.  

People want to be qualified as "good" and valuable  to their peer groups. To do that they will "fill the squares" as needed.  I have all my life as have most if not all of you reading this thread.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Must be so hard to teach young atheist ,constantly overthinking , chronically questioning and doubting.

Little atheist Johnny , 2+2=4.. why , 2+2=4 ,  but why.. it just is, 2+2=4 don't you understand this...why , what if it's a different 2? what if your 2 isn't the same as my 2? You don't really know it equals 4 , you can't prove it.. show me a 4.. see you cant.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In any group of people you get some ego maniac assholes with extremely high opinions of themselves.  That being said all of the polling I've seen seems to suggest on average atheists are more educated than highly religious people.  See the pew global website for polls.  

If someone is more educated than someone else they may or may not be more intelligent... But on average they probably are, although that doesn't mean their ideas are correct.  However, as an atheist I tend to think that the ideas of all religions, that I am familiar with, are erroneous.

Btw did I tell you I have a high iq?  

I've never met an atheist that said the type of shit that you posted.  

I have heard people say things like they can't understand how intelligent people could believe in nonsense (ie religions)
View Quote
I've come across many here over the years. They are not as prevalent now for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its k.

View Quote
Wrong.

https://youtu.be/77Jl59DZ2C4
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
  God has a super shitty record of saving people from artillery barages,historically speaking. It is of course possible that He thinks artillery barrages are super badass and who can really fault that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
It hard not to feel superior when you're in a discussion with another person about the existence of an mythological all powerful being. Its worse than discussing a globe with someone from the flat earth society.

You with as well be arguing the existence of the Easter bunny or Saint Nick but without any of the proof that comes with the candy and presents that show up annually.

There I said it. There is more actual physical  evidence to support the existence of the Easter bunny and Santa than there is for an all powerful God.

What I can't fathom is how a group of books wrote 2K years ago by a bunch of shepherds are taken to be the holy truth after all this time.

Actual real hard science is in debate by folks that think the words of a 2K year old shepherd is final word on all things metaphysical.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Atheist Religious folks are like: "You are silly for believing what is written in a book by a bunch of dead men. . . things you have never seen and can't prove for yourself. Just to prove you wrong . . . here is a science book full of stuff written by a bunch of dead men that I have never seen and can't prove myself"
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Because this is not going to change anybody's mind, on the contrary, it reaffirms the ideology of each side.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Must be so hard to teach young atheist ,constantly overthinking , chronically questioning and doubting.

Little atheist Johnny , 2+2=4.. why , 2+2=4 ,  but why.. it just is, 2+2=4 don't you understand this...why , what if it's a different 2? what if your 2 isn't the same as my 2? You don't really know it equals 4 , you can't prove it.. show me a 4.. see you cant.
View Quote
I know accepting things at face value and never questioning why produces great thinkers. With this philosophy there is no limit to the things we won't understand.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Do any of you really think the OP was asking a genuine question or just making a statement.

The title of this thread should have been: atheists are stupid, and please agree with me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do any of you really think the OP was asking a genuine question or just making a statement.

The title of this thread should have been: atheists are stupid, and please agree with me.
View Quote
It's not about engaging and having a conversation it's about feelings. OP was triggered by atheists that feel superior so he came here to feel validated.

People know so little about themselves it amazes me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#50]
That's why I've never shit posted in religious section.  Religious topics in GD are pure comedy gold.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top