User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put that little bitch in the open of an artillery barrage and let me know the name he is screaming to.
View Quote
War convinced me that god doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is the sort of dispassionate, even-handed response that anyone, religious or areligious, can applaud for its restraint and logic.  It shows that not all atheists are preening, thin-skinned buffoons.  Even a highly religious individual (such as myself) can find nothing logically objectionable in its content, which is the entire point--a point which escapes those who turn to atheism as some sort of fetishistic symbol of intelligence.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In any group of people you get some ego maniac assholes with extremely high opinions of themselves.  That being said all of the polling I've seen seems to suggest on average atheists are more educated than highly religious people.  See the pew global website for polls.  

If someone is more educated than someone else they may or may not be more intelligent... But on average they probably are, although that doesn't mean their ideas are correct.  However, as an atheist I tend to think that the ideas of all religions, that I am familiar with, are erroneous.

Btw did I tell you I have a high iq?  

I've never met an atheist that said the type of shit that you posted.  

I have heard people say things like they can't understand how intelligent people could believe in nonsense (ie religions)
This is the sort of dispassionate, even-handed response that anyone, religious or areligious, can applaud for its restraint and logic.  It shows that not all atheists are preening, thin-skinned buffoons.  Even a highly religious individual (such as myself) can find nothing logically objectionable in its content, which is the entire point--a point which escapes those who turn to atheism as some sort of fetishistic symbol of intelligence.
Agreed.

I've never tried to say that one belief is superior to the other, universally.  One may be better for me (because of whatever reason), and another may be better for the next person (for whatever reason).  But to try to say that I am superior in some way because of the corner I picked is hypocritical due to the fact that I argue that the other corner shouldn't attempt to feel superior for their belief.

It's a free country.  The beauty is that I can believe what I want, and the next gets to believe what they want.  The only conflict is when one or the other tries to impose their code on the other.  All sides are guilty of it, and all sides need to take a step back and quit with the rhetoric.  It's a free country.  Let people be free.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:53:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've met alot of really dumb people in my career. Most of the self describe atheists are not so much idiots or morons as just plain assholes to be around in the first place.

Nearly every atheist I have met is anti-gun, pro abortion, and loves Bernie. And nearly every one of them is flat broke 100% of the time and asks to borrow money (which I politely refuse).

That said, I've met some bum-fuck stupid self described "Christians" who can hardly screw in a lightbulb w/o watching a youtube video over ... and over ... and over again.

There is no religion (or anti-religion) that has a market cornered on stupidity. Just evil and selfishness is what I have witnessed.
View Quote
I'm an atheist.
I am not broke.
I hate bernie, IDGAF about abortion (if I don't like it, I don't have to participate), and I am very pro gun.  
I don't ask to borrow money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
where you are born tends to say what god you believe in.

A majority of religious people(all religions) believe something cause their parents started teaching them about said god at a very young age.

We could convince any child that a cow is god, if given enough time and social pressure.

Primary socialization has huge impacts on an individual.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It hard not to feel superior when you're in a discussion with another person about the existence of an mythological all powerful being. Its worse than discussing a globe with someone from the flat earth society.

You with as well be arguing the existence of the Easter bunny or Saint Nick but without any of the proof that comes with the candy and presents that show up annually.

There I said it. There is more actual physical  evidence to support the existence of the Easter bunny and Santa than there is for an all powerful God.

What I can't fathom is how a group of books wrote 2K years ago by a bunch of shepherds are taken to be the holy truth after all this time.

Actual real hard science is in debate by folks that think the words of a 2K year old shepherd is final word on all things metaphysical.
View Quote
I find it strange that religious people believe that their version is correct when everyone else is wrong when it is all faith based?

I was raised Catholic and am now agnostic.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Atheism isn't an IQ test, its a ego test.  Atheism appeals to our base selfish instincts.
View Quote
Are you an atheist?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:15:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Are you an atheist?
View Quote
We all are. Very few people think Baal or Zeus are real.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not that atheists are so smart, it's just when compared people who believe in magical beings the bar is set very low.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you an atheist?
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
Richard Dawkins,  The God Delusion.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."
View Quote
Almost finished reading it. The guy is certainly full of himself lol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Great quote... I always love how people proclaim their god is the only true god.... that means in every case, there are a lot of other "wrong" people.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Almost finished reading it. The guy is certainly full of himself lol.
View Quote
Yep.  He was.

He is right about religion as a whole in most cases but was quite the ass about it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Critical thinking is a tough subject since God is infallible.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Must be so hard to teach young atheist ,constantly overthinking , chronically questioning and doubting.

Little atheist Johnny , 2+2=4.. why , 2+2=4 ,  but why.. it just is, 2+2=4 don't you understand this...why , what if it's a different 2? what if your 2 isn't the same as my 2? You don't really know it equals 4 , you can't prove it.. show me a 4.. see you cant.
View Quote
Everything is defined in the statement, because of this, it's proved. Two is two no matter the language or whatever label (kwigybo, |Bv#$, Japanese characters, etc.) you want to put on it.

Yes, it's a construct, still everything is defined, you actually have to think.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's not that atheists are so smart, it's just when compared people who believe in magical beings the bar is set very low.
View Quote
"If we came from monkeys then why are there still monkeys"

It's a counter argument I've heard enough times to form a general opinion of creationists as dim witted folk who form their opinions from things they read on bumper stickers.

Notice I said general. There are exceptions but they are not the rule.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great quote... I always love how people proclaim their god is the only true god.... that means in every case, there are a lot of other "wrong" people.
View Quote
If the staunch fundamentalists Christians in this thread had been born in Saudi Arabia they would be blowing up concerts in Europe.

Your faith is based on your geography.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems to be a bad trait of humans to malign those whose beliefs are different than their own.  Cuts both ways.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meaning believers consider themselves quite highly.

One reason they need to go to church is to find someone to give each other a pat on the back.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#19]
OP has done quite well this time, 8 pages.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe in God.

I also went to College, and got as much "education" as I could.

My wife has a degree in Mathematics. She also has faith.

We encourage our kids to get as much education as they can, while we also take them to Church.

When we have the missionaries over, I ask them what is the hardest questions they get asked from anti-Mormons or atheists, and answer it in front of my kids.

It was how I was raised. They should not be scared of any information or knowledge or questions.

I have seen scientists who were local leaders in my Church. My Stake also includes Rose Hullman, ISU, and IU. We have a lot of professors of science who are in my Church who I know personally.

A lady in my Ward is a high-level engineer professor at RH... Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Very faithful believer. Is an amazing leader to the young women at my Church.

I have never thought that knowledge and faith contradict each other. But, to truly believe and worship, without knowledge, you have to have faith.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
you have to have faith.
View Quote
That's your opinion, doesn't mean it's a fact.

No one  Has To, or Must have faith, one chose to or not to.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#22]
There is a strong instinct in people to look to a stronger power for guidance and protection. Even people that claim to be atheists often turn to government or some ideology to be their God.

It does little "good" if you abandon theological fairy tales, then turn to government or paranoid delusions like "global-warming-cooling-climate- Armageddon".
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#23]
It's the human condition.

Members of most groups tend to look at themselves as morally and intellectually superior to those who do not agree with their views.  We could make this same topic about any group of people with whom we are not in agreement.

It's like having a low opinion of people who use the word "educate" when the words "inform" or "teach" would be appropriate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
where you are born tends to say what god you believe in.

A majority of religious people(all religions) believe something cause their parents started teaching them about said god at a very young age.

We could convince any child that a cow is god, if given enough time and social pressure.

Primary socialization has huge impacts on an individual.
View Quote
I backed up the page and caught this tidbit.

I totally agree, where you are born and raised has a great deal to do with your belief systems.  Grow up in the southern US, chances are if you go to church it will be evangelical (the bible belt and all).  Grow up in California, maybe no church at all, have hispanic parents I would bet on catholic, SWA yep Islamic.  I attend church with my wife regularly and have heard the pastor state this very thing as part of a sermon.  

Oh, of course in India, they do convince children that cows are gods.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Must be so hard to teach young atheist ,constantly overthinking , chronically questioning and doubting.

Little atheist Johnny , 2+2=4.. why , 2+2=4 ,  but why.. it just is, 2+2=4 don't you understand this...why , what if it's a different 2? what if your 2 isn't the same as my 2? You don't really know it equals 4 , you can't prove it.. show me a 4.. see you cant.
View Quote
I've never heard analysis and skepticism described as negative traits. Asking questions and demanding proof is how we learn, and we should encourage kids to be that way. But I digress.

2 is 2 in any language, 4 is 4 in any language. Further, anyone can demonstrate that 2+2 is 4 using mathematics and visually prove that it's factual.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is a strong instinct in people to look to a stronger power for guidance and protection. Even people that claim to be atheists often turn to government or some ideology to be their God.

It does little "good" if you abandon theological fairy tales, then turn to government or paranoid delusions like "global-warming-cooling-climate- Armageddon".
View Quote
Not true for all people.  It could be true for many people, or some people.  But not all people.  

I do my best to observe laws, because it is perilous to not to.  But I don't look to the state for protection by choice, I turn to it because I am legally required to because again, it is perilous to my own freedom to not obey those laws (considering the stakes).

I would, however, prefer to be completely free to select my own methods and doctrine of protection.  Guidance is easy if one has the ability to think critically, logically, and with a good enough understanding of the situation to make the choice least bad for everyone involved.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
LOL. No, they don't.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Are you an atheist?
View Quote
Former atheist, I am still in recovery.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If the staunch fundamentalists Christians in this thread had been born in Saudi Arabia they would be blowing up concerts in Europe.

View Quote
Thats funny, the Judeo/Christian faith came from the same area as Islam.  Try again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thats funny, the Judeo/Christian faith came from the same area as Islam.  Try again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The point is, if you were born to Saudi parents in Saudi Arabia, you would undoubtedly be raised as a Muslim, not a Christian.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I backed up the page and caught this tidbit.

I totally agree, where you are born and raised has a great deal to do with your belief systems.  Grow up in the southern US, chances are if you go to church it will be evangelical (the bible belt and all).  Grow up in California, maybe no church at all, have hispanic parents I would bet on catholic, SWA yep Islamic.  I attend church with my wife regularly and have heard the pastor state this very thing as part of a sermon.  

Oh, of course in India, they do convince children that cows are gods.
View Quote
Shhhhhh...... don't talk about what's actually true or not, keep your mouth shut.

attacking ideas | my changing view of Islam [cc]
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The point is, if you were born to Saudi parents in Saudi Arabia, you would undoubtedly be raised as a Muslim, not a Christian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you, was about to reply to that.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's funny how one predates the other and has not been practiced in any scale in that region for the better part of 1,000 years.

Try harder.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top