Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I got my son an Iraq War veteran hat after he got discharged.

I don't think he has ever wore it.

However, he does have First Cav lapel pin that he will occasionally wear on a suit coat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Because most of them are still relatively young & they don't want to look old?

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I see Iraq vet hats on occasion. Probably about the same amount as Desert Storm hats. Probably just a generational thing combined with how the public initially treated Vietnam vets. Once Vietnam vets were "cool" they started wearing the swag... DS and later vets were treated differently from the beginning, so less need to "represent" maybe. I don't have a DS hat, nor would I wear one if I did...
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I remember that, we staged there for QRF often.

The night that happened, a few soldiers and myself may have been imbibing on "Listerine"
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife has a relative that constantly wears Irag war veteran hats (so I can attest that they do exist) interchangeably with desert storm hats because he says they the same thing. He gets 100% disability from PTSD, has 3 service dogs he dresses up in molle vests with veteran patches all over and even has custom doggie dress blues he puts them in for formal events so they'll be matchy matchy. He hangs out at VFW's retailing how he's "seen some shit" and his truck is covered in "I'm a veteran, please clap" stickers.

He was a truck driver in the reserves during desert storm/desert shield and never deployed or so much as left the states.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about movies?

They're still making VN movies (war lasted well under decade) and under a dozen about Mideast Desert Wars Parts   -   that smeared across several decades.

New movie about Vietnam every year, sometimes a half dozen in one year back in the 80s.  

I was hoping to see what they could make of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars but tit seemed they got the shitting on military mostly out of their system and they didn't want to build non-jungle movie sets or something.

View Quote
Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal
Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife has a relative that constantly wears Irag war veteran hats (so I can attest that they do exist) interchangeably with desert storm hats because he says they the same thing. He gets 100% disability from PTSD, has 3 service dogs he dresses up in molle vests with veteran patches all over and even has custom doggie dress blues he puts them in for formal events so they'll be matchy matchy. He hangs out at VFW's retailing how he's "seen some shit" and his truck is covered in "I'm a veteran, please clap" stickers.

He was a truck driver in the reserves during desert storm/desert shield and never deployed or so much as left the states.
View Quote

And that’s the kinda guys that usually wear that stuff. That and old dudes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal

Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about movies?

They're still making VN movies (war lasted well under decade) and under a dozen about Mideast Desert Wars Parts   -   that smeared across several decades.

New movie about Vietnam every year, sometimes a half dozen in one year back in the 80s.  

I was hoping to see what they could make of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars but tit seemed they got the shitting on military mostly out of their system and they didn't want to build non-jungle movie sets or something.

Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal

Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

Only ones worth watching IMO, and I thought The Outpost did a generally poor job of reflecting that Tapper's excellent book covered four years worth of units.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I think a lot of guys are in the trying to forget stage that comes right before only remembering the good/fun times where putting an attention getter like a hat on starts. I try not to think about it most of the time after the clusterfuck of the withdrawal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]
The men who served at NIKE/Titan missle bases should have their own hats and other regalia.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Florida has these license plates now:

This plate is available for former military service members who served during the Cold War from May 9, 1945, to Oct. 2, 1990. It is required to show proof of active membership or former duty during the time of the Cold War before purchasing this license plate.
View Quote

The Army of Occupation medal was only awarded to troops in Germany outside Berlin (with "Germany" clasp) from 9 May 1945 to 5 May 1955 (Berlin was until 2 Oct 1990).  Also Austria (9 May 1945 to 27 July 1955) & Italy (9 May 1945 to 15 September 1947) - with the "Germany" clasp.

With the "Japan" clasp it was issued to troops in Japan (3 September 1945 to 27 April 1952) or Korea (3 September 1945 to 29 June 1949).

Its a WW2 era medal not a Cold War medal (except for Berlin since West Berlin was technically occupied).

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Did you do Iraq?

Most of the guys who went (in all branches) never saw anything more dangerous than the Puerto Rican E-4 chicks on MWR Salsa Night (regardless of their war stories) so it don't translate to hats.
View Quote

That sounds about right, probably more so in the beginning.  Later on in the mid to late 2000s, they started pulling a lot more support soldiers to go on patrol.  I recall seeing some woman from commo going out on patrol (gunning a humvee with the 50 no less) and she even had a fat dip in.  They pulled HQ soldiers and people from the s-shops to supplement in all kinds of places.  They ran guys in the infantry units pretty hard with very little off time.  It was either going on patrol, a raid, tower guard, or whatever oddball mission came up.  It probably got even worse for the surge a couple years later.  

I also assume you aren't counting the people who took a little bit of mortars or rockets on their FOBs.  Hardly worth mentioning.  

That was my experience at least.  I did a tour in an infantry unit back in 06.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I only have a SW Asia Campaign Medal, they didn’t give me a hat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
If you think there are people who would buy them, you should sell them.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never deployed reservist with a 100% rating for PTSD? Damn. I’d love to hear that story. Reservists need a “line of duty” determination to service connected anything. He get butt raped in basic training or something?
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal
Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

View Quote

Three Kings
Jarhead
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Three Kings
Jarhead
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal
Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

Three Kings
Jarhead
I guess I assumed he was talking about '01+ and left those out. But yes if we're going back to DS/DS those should be on the list.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I guess I assumed he was talking about '01+ and left those out. But yes if we're going back to DS/DS those should be on the list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal
Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

Three Kings
Jarhead

Want to hear something crazy?

Congress and the Veterans Affairs say the Gulf war started in 1990 and is not over yet. Some sailor on a ship off the coast of Bahrain today is a “gulf war veteran”. Desert shield, Desert Storm, Southern watch, OIF are different campaigns in the same “war”.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Never deployed reservist with a 100% rating for PTSD? Damn. I’d love to hear that story. Reservists need a “line of duty” determination to service connected anything. He get butt raped in basic training or something?
View Quote

I admittedly only know what I posted, but unless he's making it up and the portion of the family we associate with are corroborating, that's all I got. I do know he gets some sort of disability check because he's not living the way does working at taco bell (not kidding) and "collects" service dogs. He's a complete piece of excrement (robbed the wife's grandfather blind right before and right after her grandfather died) so we don't associate with him directly anymore.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Congress and the Veterans Affairs say the Gulf war started in 1990 and is not over yet. Some sailor on a ship off the coast of Bahrain today is a "gulf war veteran". Desert shield, Desert Storm, Southern watch, OIF are different campaigns in the same "war".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Generation Kill
Restrepo
Korengal
Lone Survivor
12 Strong
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Rock The Casbah
The Outpost
War Machine
The Covenant
Armadillo
The Hornets Nest
Hell and Back Again
The Hurt Locker
American Sniper
War Dogs
Green Zone
Hyena Road

Three Kings
Jarhead

Congress and the Veterans Affairs say the Gulf war started in 1990 and is not over yet. Some sailor on a ship off the coast of Bahrain today is a "gulf war veteran". Desert shield, Desert Storm, Southern watch, OIF are different campaigns in the same "war".
I did not know that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Three Kings
Jarhead
View Quote

That movie is such bullshit. When I met my wife, she read the book to see what my service was about. I had to explain that whiny bitches with momma issues did represent me or my views.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That movie is such bullshit. When I met my wife, she read the book to see what my service was about. I had to explain that whiny bitches with momma issues did represent me or my views.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three Kings
Jarhead

Yes, it sucked
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I personally wouldnt wear one if someone gave it to me. I know where I went and what happened while I was there. I have no interest in drawing attention to it from strangers. I dont want to discuss it with people I don't know or have them blindly say they appreciate what I did. No clue if that's other people's opinion and has an impact on the hat industry, but it's mine. I thought a lot about the Army based tattoo I got and the first criteria on my list was for it to NOT be readily visible to random strangers. I didn't get it to advertise anything. I got it for myself and nothing more.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, it sucked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three Kings
Jarhead

Yes, it sucked
I need to re-watch it but I didn't remember liking it that much. I think I was expecting more action though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
We’re 15-20 years too early for that
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Suddenly those 5 different ice cream flavors make sense.
View Quote

damned autocorrect.  LOL a storm of dessert would have been tastier than MREs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We’re 15-20 years too early for that
View Quote

Lots of OIF guys are retired grandfathers now
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wait until we're are old timers and I'm sure you'll start seeing them
View Quote

I think that’s a lot of it. Those of us from that time period are still young(ish). We are still looking at the present and future. As you get older, you tend to spend more time looking back at the past. In the future they’ll start cropping up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lots of OIF guys are retired grandfathers now
View Quote

Yeah, but they're still not old.

Here's my position on this, based on my life experience. If you are 65 or older and wear a hat that has some medals or a war are wtf ever, it's an automatic cool. If you are under 65 and your identity is worn on a trucker cap, you have problems I can't solve.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Can I get a hat if I banged a Flight Nurse Contractor who flew evac cases from Doha to Wiesbaden on a Global Express?

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can I get a hat if I banged a Flight Nurse Contractor who flew evac cases from Doha to Wiesbaden on a Global Express?

View Quote

Damned right! You need a hat for that.

If I could have banged that hot Spanish girl at the airbase in Torrejon on my way to Saudi, I would have a billboard in town about it. She was a blonde, green eyed, Sofia Vergara.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Because a lot of them that weren’t killed or maimed in Iraq have committed suicide in the years since returning home. The ones that haven’t probably don’t want to talk about it.

3/1 Marines alone have lost nearly 40 veterans of Operation Phantom Fury to suicide.

Give it another 30 years and I’m sure there will be old dudes all over the place wearing GWOT veteran hats. And the majority of them will be veterans who never deployed, or never deployed into actual combat.

Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Army has no more entrenched and more worthless a pogue class than senior food service NCOs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like there is “Veteran of the Vietnam War” hats.

Up here there is a lot of them. The Vietnam Nam ones.

I have not seen one Iraq war veteran hat.

Is that because only Marines would be able to wear them?

Did you do Iraq?

Most of the guys who went (in all branches) never saw anything more dangerous than the Puerto Rican E-4 chicks on MWR Salsa Night (regardless of their war stories) so it don't translate to hats.

What pogue bases had MWR? LSA Anaconda and Baghdad Airport? I was mostly at Falcon and Blue Diamond. No MWR. We got shelled all the dam time. In fact the ASP at Falcon got blown up.

Jesus….don’t ask what camp it was, but it was in the Camp Victory complex, and we had pulled in just in time, thinking we’d be able to hit a real chow hall. We did, and from little we saw, it was like everything we had been told…a buffet, sandwich bar, grill, salad bar, about 5 different ice cream flavors. There was about 12 of us scoping out where we could all sit together when an e7 asked us to leave. He advised us that much like a dress code, we were too dirty and sweaty to be in the dfac, making people uncomfortable. We sat in the parking lot, looking to see what mre’s we had left that weren’t all rat fucked, and not sure who it was, but someone brought us out to-go plates of burgers and fries.

Your job is to feed us. Here we are Pogue Mess Sergeant. They tried this shit on us we we rolled into the chow hall from patrol, dirty and late (right before closing) and brought our 3x .50 receivers inside the chow hall with us so we could all eat together as there was no time to eat in shifts. We said we weren’t leaving and just ignored them and kept eating. Nothing happened. We were having a war and then garrison broke out.

They pulled that bullshit at COB Speicher when I was there. Turned my guys away because they were dirty from working on helicopters. ??

The Army has no more entrenched and more worthless a pogue class than senior food service NCOs.

I don’t recall the mess people being a pain.  Always some CSM from a turd unit on a base or something trying to be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see some legit vets wearing them.

But I would have to say the preponderance is those with a term or two of service, and it was a big thing in their life.
Maybe the biggest thing of their life.

They guys with like three or more campaign stars on each of their OIF and OEF ribbons that were in Ranger Bn or green beret before becoming an operator, or that did a couple of trips as a SEAL before doing the GI Bill and becoming an aviator or getting their Econ degree from Dartmouth before becoming a lawyer or a solid MBA, etc. not so much.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know you are joking but an AGR guy got 100% MST, who never deployed, because his buddy was killed on a deployment.
And as for MST, it is a presumed event when claimed, with about a 70% chance of getting 100% PTSD rating.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Army of Occupation medal was only awarded to troops in Germany outside Berlin (with "Germany" clasp) from 9 May 1945 to 5 May 1955 (Berlin was until 2 Oct 1990).  Also Austria (9 May 1945 to 27 July 1955) & Italy (9 May 1945 to 15 September 1947) - with the "Germany" clasp.

With the "Japan" clasp it was issued to troops in Japan (3 September 1945 to 27 April 1952) or Korea (3 September 1945 to 29 June 1949).

Its a WW2 era medal not a Cold War medal (except for Berlin since West Berlin was technically occupied).

View Quote

For that plate, it's nein necessary.

From the application form:  Proof that the applicant was awarded the Army of Occupation Medal, current or former member of the United States military who was permanently assigned to occupation forces in specific overseas locations during the Cold War between May 9, 1945, and October 2, 1990
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:25:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I don’t like look at me hats
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Just based off hats and shirts, you can meet a lot of Navy SEALs at the gun show.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#42]
The only people that wear that shit are dudes that never deployed or never left the wire. Or the guys that were serving food at 30th AG instead of graduating.

One of our guys that didn’t make through basic got caught wearing a gwot veteran hat.

Not all but a lot
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Like there is “Veteran of the Vietnam War” hats.

Up here there is a lot of them. The Vietnam Nam ones.

I have not seen one Iraq war veteran hat.

Is that because only Marines would be able to wear them?

View Quote

I've seen quite a few of them and its always guys that didn't do shit and Marines that are looking for attention.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Almost never wore my OEF hat and then it got stolen. Think I wore it twice
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That era stuff is some of the most disingenuous BS out there.  

Either you're a veteran of the Vietnam War or not.  Nothing wrong with either option, just don't try to tag along on someone else's work.
View Quote

Hey now, what do you have against Indians chanting and banging on drums while complaining to liberal reporters about smiling high schoolers in front of you
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Saw one on an old guy at the VA last week
View Quote

I’ve met a handful of WW2 vets sporting ball caps
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
IDK but I did love those bitchin dragon jackets made out of satin that guys in the neighborhood came home with from Vietnam in the 1960's.
View Quote

I recall 1980s ROK versions when I was an E-3 in processing
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#49]
to soon I would say.

I dont need a hat to say where I have been.

WW2 guys and Nam guys are the one that deserve to be recognized and thanked.  Just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#50]
My kids bought me an OIF Hat an a purple heart hat, I've never worn either. No grunt style shirts etc, my trucks completely sterile, no stickers etc. If people ask what I do, I just say I retired from the post office.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top