BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did I make it in before the truck driving mother?
View Quote

I came here for it...

All the fats I work with a seem to suffer from "bad knees" too.
None seem to draw a connection between their heft and their knee problems...
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Some take responsibility, some blame a disease.
View Quote

You misunderstand, it's not about blaming anything or lack of personal responsibility. It's understanding what the intrinsic issue is and being able to tackle it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not fat just big boned
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Portion control. How does it work?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back from a very enjoyable three hour mountain bike ride and oh look, I'm still not a fatass.

See fats, you can be a fit and enjoy yourselves too.

Now I am having some chips and dip without having to post-fact rationalize to soothe an aching conscience.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still not sure if this is a joke thread like the magnet vaccine one
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm still not sure if this is a joke thread like the magnet vaccine one
View Quote

The irony itself is ironic here.

The obesity chart spiked in 1980 when .gov came out and said low-fat diets will save you from heart disease.  They did this with no actual science.

The fat in almost all foods was replaced by sugar.  Sugar IS addictive.  Eating it makes you want more-- unlike, say, steak.

young active healthy people can indeed control their weight with calories in/calories out.  However, if you reach your forties and you have been following the .gov recommendations (an amazing percentage of Americans did follow that guidance) you are probably a dozen or more pounds overweight.  You are tired all the time, you've been taught to crave sugar and taught that it's better for you than the fat that would have satiated you.

You've reached insulin resistance.  You are now in a vortex of bad advice and spiraling cravings and fatigue.  Your doctor, who knows nothing about nutrition, tells you to "cut back."  You follow his directions and it works, you lose weight for about six weeks;  you stick with it even though you are miserable, tired and hungry all the time. then your resting metabolic rate slows to match your intake and you stop losing weight.  Your doctor blames YOU for poor discipline, even though you're eating 1600 calories a day.  You started the diet with a resting metabolic rate of 2400 calories; it has slowed to 1600.

Now you start GAINING weight even though you are eating 1600 calories.  Your resting metabolic rate has slowed by 35 percent. Why?  Interesting question. Like "why don't they have reunion shows for The Biggest Loser?"  Those people kick ass in the gym and cut calories like crazy!  They must still look great! Right?

Now if your doctor actually knew anything about nutrition he would advise you to make some real changes.  Those changes aren't calorie related; they are macro nutrient related.

Our Standard American Diet is super-carb-heavy.  We haven't evolved fast enough to be able to accept this change in our diet.  We should be eating 70 percent fat, 25 percent protein and 5 percent carbs, mostly veggies.

We are fat because we followed the gov guidelines; we stay fat because it's fucking HARD to kick an addiction.  

So you can assign blame as you wish.  I blame "experts," the media, the medical profession, Big Agra, Big Pharma, and Coca Cola for telling us "everything in moderation, eat less, move more."  It doesn't work that way for anyone with a damaged metabolic system.  Good people, disciplined people, have had their lives harmed or ruined because the medical profession told them to do EXACTLY THE WRONG THING.

Does that mean there aren't lazy bastards who combine gluttony with sloth?  Of course there are.  Just not 60 percent of our population.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not reading 5 pages.

But I will say this.

I want a woman to sit on my face without having to first  fish a snorkel tube up and out her nasty sweaty ass crack as insurance to keep me from suffocating and dying a horrible ( and embarrassing) death.

It's not just the fatness. It's a safety thing for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m not into the Ethiopian skinny types. But there are definitely some girls that have a little bit of weight that are attractive and a good personality goes a long way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Insulin isnt that simple. Ive seen bodybuilders use it as its very anabolic.
View Quote

Insulin is required to store fat.  Period.

spike insulin, store fat.

You get fatter eating 500 calories of carbs than you will eating 500 calories of steak.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fat people have a self control issues and lack proper motivation.  You could debate all day long as to how they got that way or who hurt them.....but it does nothing to make them lose weight.  I know, they know, they are fat lazy slobs.....but they just don't care enough to do much about it other than complain.  Hard work is, well, hard work.  Most people avoid that.  And now we have the govt and corporations pushing this "fat is beautiful and healthy" shit.  It will only get worse.
View Quote

what makes it worse is telling them they are lazy fucks and need to cut back on calories.  

They just need to change their macros.  Eat til you're full; just don't eat carbs.  You will normalize naturally.

You make character judgements denigrating people who thought they were doing the right thing: cut dietary fat. they got hooked on an addictive substance:  sugar.

Corporations helped get many millions of Americans addicted to their products.  It was a huge fraud, a massive experiment perpetrated on the American people.  Many have found their way out of this; many have not.

I actually remember when Coca Cola advertising bragged there was "no fat" in their product.  Enough sugar in every can to kill a small animal, but no fat.

Yes eventually everyone is responsible for their own health.  But the more you understand about the problem, the more likely we will be to solve it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know the govt gets a lot of shit about the food pyramid, but not all govt info is bogus.

https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2019-09/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf

TLDR, 150 minutes of moderate cardio per week, plus minimum of 2 days of weight training.  

So 30 min a day cardio x 5 days a week, plus 2 lifting days.  That’s pretty ambitious for most.

Deeper in the report, those who meet the above reduce their lifelong morbidity by 30% compared to those who don’t exercise.  Imagine the health saving we as a society could achieve if we just exercised 30 min a day, for life.

Being fit is more important than being thin based on the data.

It had been my experience that once you put in the work in the gym, the weight will fall off.  It’s physiological for me.  Once you realize how much effort it takes to burn 500 calories and how easily it is to consume 500 cal....it just clicks.

View Quote

You can't exercise your way out of a shitty diet.  Unless you're 20 years old, maybe.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
No one is attractive to fat slobs who breathe heavy getting up and down the couch. Sweating like crazy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, it's not always that simple; you still need to be at a caloric deficit to lose weight.  Building muscle means your resting burn rate goes up.  Going keto means your resting burn rate goes up.  Tossing out sugar and carbs means it's harder for your body to make fat.  All these things combined with a caloric deficit will get the weight down, but you still have to do the groundwork.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the posts in GD where someone talked about quitting sodas and magically dropped 50 pounds. It deflates me because I also stopped sodas, have curtailed my beer drinking, a bag of chips that used to last me 2 days now lasts a week, bread turns green before I finish a loaf, and I’m walking everyday.

I haven’t lost anything.

It’s incredibly disheartening and destroys my motivation.

Unfortunately, it's not always that simple; you still need to be at a caloric deficit to lose weight.  Building muscle means your resting burn rate goes up.  Going keto means your resting burn rate goes up.  Tossing out sugar and carbs means it's harder for your body to make fat.  All these things combined with a caloric deficit will get the weight down, but you still have to do the groundwork.

Calorie deficits are fluid.  Reduce calorie intake and your calorie burn rate decreases.

the only way to short circuit this is to cut carbs.  Take away the insulin and you take away fat storage.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Being fat is a result of poor decision making and poor impulse control.
View Quote

Jesus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m just saying that insulin resistance makes it very fucking hard for some people.

I’m not fat, but I’m vain and I’m having a hell of a time even with the gym and diet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insulin resistance is a bitch.

Don't get on the insulin roller coaster and insulin resistance stops being an issue.

With what we know about nutrition and diet these days, nobody has to stay fat.  People are fat because they're lazy fucks.

I’m just saying that insulin resistance makes it very fucking hard for some people.

I’m not fat, but I’m vain and I’m having a hell of a time even with the gym and diet.

THIS! thank you Big Easy.  Like most people, you were probably reasonably disciplined, ate pretty high carb, developed insulin resistance and messed up your metabolism.  It wasn't a character flaw.

I'll stop now.  You're welcome.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jesus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being fat is a result of poor decision making and poor impulse control.

Jesus.

Arfcom's favorite thing to do is totally misunderstand science and blame everyone's faults on poor decision making and poor impulse control and say that their weight is due to character flaws.

Sugar's hold over a lot of people can be worse than a heroin addiction.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 10:23:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

what makes it worse is telling them they are lazy fucks and need to cut back on calories.  

They just need to change their macros.  Eat til you're full; just don't eat carbs.  You will normalize naturally.

You make character judgements denigrating people who thought they were doing the right thing: cut dietary fat. they got hooked on an addictive substance:  sugar.

Corporations helped get many millions of Americans addicted to their products.  It was a huge fraud, a massive experiment perpetrated on the American people.  Many have found their way out of this; many have not.

I actually remember when Coca Cola advertising bragged there was "no fat" in their product.  Enough sugar in every can to kill a small animal, but no fat.

Yes eventually everyone is responsible for their own health.  But the more you understand about the problem, the more likely we will be to solve it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fat people have a self control issues and lack proper motivation.  You could debate all day long as to how they got that way or who hurt them.....but it does nothing to make them lose weight.  I know, they know, they are fat lazy slobs.....but they just don't care enough to do much about it other than complain.  Hard work is, well, hard work.  Most people avoid that.  And now we have the govt and corporations pushing this "fat is beautiful and healthy" shit.  It will only get worse.

Yeah man, because living every second of your waking life with the equivalent of an 80lb sack of concrete strapped to your gut is totally unnoticeable and just happened one day for no reason at all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You get fatter eating 500 calories of carbs than you will eating 500 calories of steak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, its not that simple. Insulin is anabolic. It aids in building muscle.

It helps to move nutrients into muscle cells among other things.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No

We like nice turd cutters because it goes with the hips going back to caveman times...

Science.
Chicks with a sway back and nice round ass with nice hips = easier child birth. Back in them days, squat and push out the pups. The ass centered their weight while squatting...

I'm caveman as fuck.
I go for women that have an hourglass figure, long legs, and protruding hip bones.

View Quote

There’s no detriment to less-than-optimal balance when squatting and squirting out a kid. Do females chimps have nice asses? What about the other close relatives of humans? Was optimal balance necessary so our primitive ancestors could lunge out of the way at the last second mid child birth to avoid a sabretooth attack? It’s a ridiculous premise.

The truth is that society’s ideals for beauty aren’t entirely rational and in fact shift over time, likely due to boredom.

It’s abundantly clear that feature rarity (being the only blonde in a pack of brunettes) impacts our perception of attractiveness significantly.

There is no objective ideal. There’s a body composition range which generally correlates with health and likely hints at breeding suitability. But that’s actually a pretty wide range and you’ll find individual’s preferences smattered about all across that range.

In fact, women at low body fat %’s can have trouble conceiving. Yet their “health” profiles would get high marks for their body composition and lean body mass numbers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:11:39 AM EDT
[#22]
When I went to Indonesia in 2018 I found that NEARLY ALL THE GIRLS WERE HOT.

I do not (generally) find Asian women to be attractive.

So, what was going on?

ALL THE WOMEN THERE ARE THIN.  I saw like 2 fat people, that was it!

99 percent of everyone there is fit or thin.......that's why the women were such a turn on.

99 percent of Americans are overweight or obese.  

Once an American girl reaches her 30's, she's generally fat as a cow and looks like crap.

Been doing Atkins' Diet for 5 weeks now.  I've lost 10 pounds and I am now at the tightest belt buckle hole.  5 weeks ago I was at the 2nd hole.  

A year ago, back when I was hitting the gym hard every other day, size 36 pants were a bit tight.  Now size 36 pants are very loose, as in 1 inch too big.   I'm smaller now than when I was hitting the gym crazy hard.  

I feel great, loads of energy, not depressed, not worried very easily (stay calm like crazy now), and my tendonitis went away!

Mowed with a push mower for 1.5 hours straight, non stop yesterday, on a hill side.  Then raked the whole yard and removed the grass clippings.  Went 4 hours non-stop in the heat and sun.  I was a little tired but felt great.

Cut the sugar out!  Eat protein, drink loads of water, and reclaim your body.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Thin and fit checking, I am beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#24]
There's an instinctive drive to breed with the most fit people to pass on the best genes for the survival of our species.People that are fat, be it genetically or through poor self control about eating and/or not exercising aren't going to be hardly anyone's first choice if at all possible.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Insulin isn't just anabolic, it's very anabolic.  

Spikes of course will hurt your energy levels as you'll be on a rollercoaster, and poor macro balance will ultimately lead to poor body composition.  But to try to oversimplify it like a Keto cultist would, if you're fat it's because you eat in a surplus all the time which means you're blood sugar will be elevated all the time because of the extra food intake.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 10:06:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I went to Indonesia in 2018 I found that NEARLY ALL THE GIRLS WERE HOT.

I do not (generally) find Asian women to be attractive.

So, what was going on?

ALL THE WOMEN THERE ARE THIN.  I saw like 2 fat people, that was it!

99 percent of everyone there is fit or thin.......that's why the women were such a turn on.

99 percent of Americans are overweight or obese.  

Once an American girl reaches her 30's, she's generally fat as a cow and looks like crap.

Been doing Atkins' Diet for 5 weeks now.  I've lost 10 pounds and I am now at the tightest belt buckle hole.  5 weeks ago I was at the 2nd hole.  

A year ago, back when I was hitting the gym hard every other day, size 36 pants were a bit tight.  Now size 36 pants are very loose, as in 1 inch too big.   I'm smaller now than when I was hitting the gym crazy hard.  

I feel great, loads of energy, not depressed, not worried very easily (stay calm like crazy now), and my tendonitis went away!

Mowed with a push mower for 1.5 hours straight, non stop yesterday, on a hill side.  Then raked the whole yard and removed the grass clippings.  Went 4 hours non-stop in the heat and sun.  I was a little tired but felt great.

Cut the sugar out!  Eat protein, drink loads of water, and reclaim your body.

View Quote

Yep, same.  I went over there too, and right off the bat thinking that it's chock full of hotties.  After a picking up my tongue off the floor and blood starts to go back to the big head eventually I realized it was because most of them are thin.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can't exercise your way out of a shitty diet.  Unless you're 20 years old, maybe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know the govt gets a lot of shit about the food pyramid, but not all govt info is bogus.

https://health.gov/sites/default/files/2019-09/Physical_Activity_Guidelines_2nd_edition.pdf

TLDR, 150 minutes of moderate cardio per week, plus minimum of 2 days of weight training.  

So 30 min a day cardio x 5 days a week, plus 2 lifting days.  That’s pretty ambitious for most.

Deeper in the report, those who meet the above reduce their lifelong morbidity by 30% compared to those who don’t exercise.  Imagine the health saving we as a society could achieve if we just exercised 30 min a day, for life.

Being fit is more important than being thin based on the data.

It had been my experience that once you put in the work in the gym, the weight will fall off.  It’s physiological for me.  Once you realize how much effort it takes to burn 500 calories and how easily it is to consume 500 cal....it just clicks.

Oh, so you are getting your seven sessions a week in and you are still not happy with how you look in your undies?

You have the discipline to exercise but can’t starve yourself into looking like a 19 year old Brad Pitt?

Better call the whole thing off then, quit trying and order up a mobility scooter ASAP.

Look, very few of us men can attain the goals we set for ourselves.  Even after decades of exercise I know I have failed to attain the “look” I was after.  Good Health was simply a side effect of my vain desire to look better.

I know you can’t exercise your way out of a shitty diet, that was kinda my point in my original post. The pain/effort required to burn off a Big Mac in one session would put most people on their ass. A 170 lb man would require 1.35 hrs of running at 10 mph (6 minute mile) to burn off a Big Mac combo.  
I know I can’t do that, never could.   Easier to slow down the fork than it is to pick up the pace.   As we age, the fork needs to move slower than before.

It doesn’t need to be anymore complicated than that.  Take action, adjust as needed.  Realize that unless you are genetically gifted as well as having tremendous discipline, you will never look like Arnold, or Brad or Henry.
But you will be healthier than you are now, and look better too.  

Remember, “perfect is the enemy of good”.

Strive to be, at least, good.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Fat people are untrustworthy
They lie about their diet and exercising
They need to quit being fat and walk a few miles a dayDisgusting fatbody fatties
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of. Insulin will also push blood sugar into your muscles after a heavy workout to replenish them and it is an anabolic hormone.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
They need to quit being fat and walk a few miles a dayDisgusting fatbody fatties
View Quote

I didnt realize this until I got to know a few very well. Sneaking fast food on the way home and throwing away the wrapper, eating salad in front of everyone and then eating Snickers bars at their desk, overestimating their activity levels, making excuses for everything (big boned, my momma always said I was "solid", my jaw makes my neck look fat).... I now don't believe anyone who is overweight without a pile of evidence.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm not reading 5 pages.

But I will say this.

I want a woman to sit on my face without having to first  fish a snorkel tube up and out her nasty sweaty ass crack as insurance to keep me from suffocating and dying a horrible ( and embarrassing) death.

It's not just the fatness. It's a safety thing for me.
View Quote
using this as my safety share tomorrow morning.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

In my experience, fat people lie about more than just their diet. I had a friend once who liked to make fun of fat people, his favorite website was yourefatbecauseyourestupid.com. But then in about 2019 he began his slide into obesity. I commented on it in private, and from what I heard later, he took personal offense at my concern over his weight. From there, he started acting crazy, spreading false rumors, and outright lying to other people about things I'd done and said. At one point he threatened physical violence. I have an offer on the table to reconcile, but it would mean describing to me what slander he has been engaged in, and he's afraid I'd sue him if I heard all of it. It's really quite pathetic how a person can self destruct, and sometimes it starts with becoming a disgusting mcfat. I look at it as a warning sign.

Fat people have basically given up on life, but because they don't have the guts to off themselves in one act, they shovel food down their gullets and kill themselves bite by delicious bite. It's a slow, shameful way to go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#33]
My theory is that people following the food pyramid guidelines have overtime wrecked their metabolism and insulin sensitivity.  They could reverse course with exercise and some dramatic changes to their way of eating.  The problem I’ve noted from people I know in this situation is that they’ve been eating terribly (crap food, 3 meals a day, gotta have snacks, not reading labels, every meal has to be a feast, someone say DESSERT) for so long that they don’t really want to change their ways as they’ve become acclimated to all that terrible food.   Could have been avoided using some critical thought vs just gobbling up what the .gov was spoon feeding but here we are.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top