Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/14/2021 8:41:42 PM EDT
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc….   But nothing in Africa.

I cannot think of a single thing I own that says made in Africa.  

Surely there is something that can be made there.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The problem with Africa, is that it’s full of ________.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s a continent of exploitation.

Always has been.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Because China is already there. They have the non-politically correct mindset to deal with the natives.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you saying it’s never been attempted??
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm wearing a shirt made in Africa. It's made in kenya.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly. Look at Durban. It WAS industrialized and they pretty much destroyed it in a few days!

But let's not talk about the gorilla in the room!

Just like here in the good old USA.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
We tried, back in the 70s and 80s.

Ask Volkswagen and Pepsi how it works when the government decides to nationalize your factory.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Somalia had factories once. They were taken apart for scrap metal.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Rwanda is doing pretty good for having a genocide 27 years ago.  

With their willingness to work with outside investment and AGOA, they'll be a leading country on the continent within the next 2 decades.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I spent time in Africa.  Some folks are genuinely smart and good human beings, but...
people there are very tribal.  Think concentric circles of loyalty:
immediate family first, village/tribe next, region, nation last.

Altruism there is a foreign concept.

I have (ex) family there, and I wish them no ill will.

ETA - I think Togo does well with industrial beer production.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Europeans tried and they got kicked out.  

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Before Europeans colonized Sub Saharan Africa how many great cities were there? How many written languages were there? Had a wheel been invented there? How well have the populations progressed since the colonial era ended? , Look at South Africa today, would you want to invest there? All serious questions. We have enough places where we are wasting money without "helping Africa" any more.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck Africa. Let those fuckers fend for themselves, except the oppressed South Africans. Let them come here.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
China is going to destroy Africa. That continent will be a wasteland of war within 25 years.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I read a good article by an American in Africa who said the US perceives Africa as a giant shit hole not bothering with. The Chinese view Africa as "some parts we can make a buck in" and with super populated and competitive China it's worth the risk to strike out and gamble in trying to make money in Africa
View Quote

The chinese have also gotten away with killing locals, there are even rumors of cannibalism because of the weird chinese tradition of folk medicine. The things they do there are things that western nations could never get away with.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The only way to help Africa is to remove all Africans.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
China is going to destroy Africa. That continent will be a wasteland of war within 25 years.
View Quote

It's been a war zone as long as I can remember, and I'm an old fart.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chinese?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
When oil prices crater as EVs take over the market the next few years, Africa is going to become an Ecological disaster. China will strip mine it, leave the craters, export toxic waste there, etc.

The local population will not be able to survive. It will be chaos.

I predict hundreds of millions of deaths there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When oil prices crater as EVs take over the market the next few years, Africa is going to become an Ecological disaster. China will strip mine it, leave the craters, export toxic waste there, etc.

View Quote

Millions will probably die, but the land is too valuable to poison it. The chinese are already moving there as well and planting roots, it's the perfect solution to their overpopulation problem.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Chinese beat us to it.  Plus, they have the will to dominate we lack.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc…
View Quote

You realize the years 1880-1914 actually happened right?

We've already tried this
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Arfcom Africa threads are entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#29]
If they get organized and stop fighting with each other they may figure out what kind of resources they have.

The rest of the world doesn't want that because it makes it more difficult to "negotiate" those resources for themselves.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Millions will probably die, but the land is too valuable to poison it. The chinese are already moving there as well and planting roots, it's the perfect solution to their overpopulation problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chinese don't care, they poison their own homeland this way right now. I guarantee they couldn't care less about Africa.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#31]
We have hundreds of thousands of people illegally crossing our southern border on this subject the dimocrats aren’t interested in getting to the root cause.

I would rather see us work to get rid of corruption and industrialize Central America than Africa.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]
I would not be surprised to see the Chinese invade Africa and kill off every single person on the continent to steal the resources.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:20:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe....and i know this is a crazy idea....but just perhaps we should be setting up the means of production here, within the confines of our own borders. The main reason our supply chain is failing right now is because we are fully dependent on shipments of crucial supplies from across oceans. We need a government that stops creating barriers to commerce. Ill take a policy of isolationism over one of globalism every time.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Somalia had factories once. They were taken apart for scrap metal.
View Quote

The same thing happened with all of the farms that were stolen.

Rather than maintain and operate the farms, they scrapped and sold all of the irrigation equipment.

What makes you think a factory would fare any differently?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would not be surprised to see the Chinese invade Africa and kill off every single person on the continent to steal the resources.
View Quote

I couldn't really imagine a timeline where I'd fucking love China but here we have a glimpse.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I spent time in Africa.  Some folks are genuinely smart and good human beings, but...
people there are very tribal.  Think concentric circles of loyalty:
immediate family first, village/tribe next, region, nation last.

Altruism there is a foreign concept.

I have (ex) family there, and I wish them no ill will.

ETA - I think Togo does well with industrial beer production.  
View Quote

Sparky's new account?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#37]
TIA
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
TIA
View Quote

Came here for this. Gd is slow today.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Before Europeans colonized Sub Saharan Africa how many great cities were there? How many written languages were there? Had a wheel been invented there? How well have the populations progressed since the colonial era ended? , Look at South Africa today, would you want to invest there? All serious questions. We have enough places where we are wasting money without "helping Africa" any more.
View Quote
The real Wakanda is still hiding from the rest of Africa.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were a number of great and influential empires in Africa during the bronze age, with writing and poetry and trade and (probably) the wheel. From the iron age forward, the only 'native' empire of any note, with any great centers of scholarship and technological advancements, was the Mali empire - which among other things spawned the "richest man in history", and the world heritage site at Timbuktu.

All the great African empires, whether native (Mali, Songhai, Aksum) or settlements by foreigners like Carthage and -Dynastic Egypt are all north of the equator. Sub-Saharan Africa pretty much stayed in the stone or bronze ages, until European colonization.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mosquitoes!
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#42]
We all know the reason, but if we say it we get banned.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#43]
If we don’t export freedom there. China will by it up and build communism.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sparky's new account?
View Quote

I'm not Sparky, don't know Sparky, but he sounds interesting if he had family in Africa.

I just assume I'd face machete justice there if I ever returned after divorcing their family member.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lack of maintained infrastructure due to the failure of the colonial governments to create a governing structure that was sustainable upon independence?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I won't say the O-word if you don't. The resource trap is a real thing and it's sad. Norway and Saudi Arabia  and Iran and Mexico and Canada and the USA notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc….   But nothing in Africa.

I cannot think of a single thing I own that says made in Africa.  

Surely there is something that can be made there.  

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I read a good article by an American in Africa who said the US perceives Africa as a giant shit hole not bothering with. The Chinese view Africa as "some parts we can make a buck in" and with super populated and competitive China it's worth the risk to strike out and gamble in trying to make money in Africa
View Quote

China doesn't have to deal with legions of domestic whiners in regards to their activity there, so there is a lot more upside for them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Umm... it's been tried over and over with horrible results.  Peace corps workers can't even get them to maintain a well pump because after a year it either breaks due to lack of maintenance or it gets stripped for parts, and you want them to take industrial technology and run with it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But let's not talk about the gorilla in the room.
View Quote

The fucking jokes you could spin off this line
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top