Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Has OP not seen the movie Zulu?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Too busy industrializing Gaza.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Political instability...among other things.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The problem with Africa, is that it’s full of ________.
View Quote

I literally laughed out loud
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, in the 1960's they were on their way to industrialization.  Then......Africa happened.  All over Africa, the former industrial infrastructure is rusting away.  Railroads are cut up and sold to the Indians and Chinese as scrap metal, highway bridges are left to rot until they collapse, aircraft and airfields ate looted and cut up to make pots, and looted mines dot many areas of the continent.  Many older Africans with 8th grade or better educations regale their nearly-illiterate grandchildren and great-grandchildren with stories of the past about bus systems, telephone networks, fully-stocked stores and cafes, train trips, etc.  There are many factors that led to this co this outcome, and historians will argue forever over which factors(s) was/were the primary cause(s) of Africa's "failure to launch".
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's industrialize yet another group of people that hate us, brilliant idea!
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Reminds me of Kipling's "The White Man's Burden".  Great poem.  Great author.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Christianity is exploding in Africa.  Really cool to see.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Because its Africa
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Christianity is exploding in Africa.  Really cool to see.
View Quote

No woke Methodists over there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Well those in America who hate America figure they had a much better chance getting primitive backwards America hating China industrialized and invading America long before they could ever get Africa to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of raw materials in Africa.  Like S.America.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I read a good article by an American in Africa who said the US perceives Africa as a giant shit hole not bothering with. The Chinese view Africa as "some parts we can make a buck in" and with super populated and competitive China it's worth the risk to strike out and gamble in trying to make money in Africa
View Quote

No doubt. Anyone that travels Africa will tell you that the Chinese are all over. Every airport I’ve been at has had Chinese flying in and out, even Liberia.

I stayed at the Sheridan in Addis Abba and it was full of Chinese businessmen and women. They even had an entire Chinese breakfast spread in one of the restaurants.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#17]
African Airplane Compilation | African Aviation
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The average IQ there is roughly 64. That's why.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#19]
It is bad enough that jobs have gone to all of these other shit holes over the last hand full of decades. As the economies of those nations improve, their people have more disposable income so they consumer more which puts pressure of raw materials and goods which drives up prices for us.  So do we want to send more jobs to Africa?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Read the book "Something of Value" by Robert Ruark. The answers you seek are within.

For every step forward made in Africa, tens steps are taken backwards.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#21]
The answer is: Because math is racist, and there is no industry without math ?

Did I win the cookie ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read a good article by an American in Africa who said the US perceives Africa as a giant shit hole not bothering with. The Chinese view Africa as "some parts we can make a buck in" and with super populated and competitive China it's worth the risk to strike out and gamble in trying to make money in Africa
View Quote

The Chinese had a substantial presence in every city I went through in Africa when I was doing work over there. Africa has the natural resources that mainland China does not.

Hard to start up manufacturing operations in an unstable political environment. Too much capital involved. Most of Africa is politically unstable. Ergo, we primarily engage in trade with them for resources and raw materials as opposed to highly manufactured goods.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If we don’t export freedom there. China will by it up and build communism.
View Quote

Will?

Try "has begun to".
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Because shit would be dismantled and sold for scrap.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It’s a continent of exploitation.

Always has been.
View Quote

Then we would have factories there and not China
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I think China's already on it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:35:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Surely there is something that can be made there
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Chinese beat us to it.  Plus, they have the will to dominate we lack.
View Quote

So the Draka are actually the Han Chinese and not a bunch of displaced American southerners and English?
That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I cannot think of a single thing I own that says made in Africa.  

Surely there is something that can be made there.  

View Quote

I met a local guy about 10 years ago who would set up textile operations in the cheapest labor markets he could find. At the time he was making clothing for Harley Davidson in East Africa cause Asia had gotten too expensive.  Guy had some awesome stories, like running factories in the middle of Central American civil wars paying off both sides for protection.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We all know the reason, but if we say it we get banned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:46:13 PM EDT
[#32]
We will right after we're done turning middle eastern countries into functioning democracies with the rule of law and respect for individual rights
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#33]
C'est l'Afrique, c'est comme c'est.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Trying does not mean succeeding.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc….   But nothing in Africa.

View Quote

Really?

Read up on the Belgian Congo.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chinese.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#37]
What is an inability to keep themselves from looting and destroying required distribution hubs?
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Lack of maintained infrastructure due to the failure of the colonial governments to create a governing structure that was sustainable upon independence?
View Quote

With the tribalism a lasting governing structure that encompasses a former colony rarely works. I can think of several though, Kenya, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia.

Mozambique and Tanzania might make it.

Usually, a governing structure lasts one dictator’s life.m span.

ETA: The idea of preventative maintenance and it’s benefits, or even just preparing for tomorrow is largely foreign to indigenous Africans. No joke.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Genesis 4:12
King James Version
12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

You cannot escape the Book!
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:12:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We tried, back in the 70s and 80s.

Ask Volkswagen and Pepsi how it works when the government decides to nationalize your factory.  
View Quote

Plus the Ford, GM and Coca Cola factories in South Africa.  Ford of South Africa built some kickass performance cars using American 302s and European bodies.  When the country was blacklisted by Carter and those companies pulled out, the Ford engineers moved to Australia and fueled Ford's performance boom there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Because all business disputes would be
resolved with machetes.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lions, I mean real lions, not like those lions you be fucking with at the zoo "Hey lion, motherfucker", nah man, these lions will eat yo ass.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We have hundreds of thousands of people illegally crossing our southern border on this subject the dimocrats aren’t interested in getting to the root cause.

I would rather see us work to get rid of corruption and industrialize Central America than Africa.
View Quote

That would require our crooks in the govt. to have their crooks in the the govt. run out on a rail as opposed to the emulation our politicians currently have for them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why do we set up factories in Thailand, Mexico, India,  China, Malaysia, Tibet, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, etc….   But nothing in Africa.

View Quote

China has paid too much money to USA politicians to have the USA go and making money off of anything.

I mean, look at Afghanistan. USA soldiers spill blood and guts to "keep the country safe" just so the Chinese can get sweet mineral mining deals.

China was bitching last week over the USA pulling out.

Apparently it's making the country unsafe for Chinese business interests.

All while the commie media tells their voting drones to throw a fit if the USA makes money in a foreign country.

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#45]
OP is channeling Rudyard Kipling.  Let China have Africa.  The US has had enough savage wars of peace.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah... several European countries tried that in South Africa, Namibia, and other places there.

And we see how that all worked out...
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Lots of raw materials in Africa.  Like S.America.
View Quote
We brought in raw materials from Africa before.  Lucrative for a time.  Royal pain in the ass ever since.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#48]
thread title makes it sound so easy..

Why is Africa Still So Poor?

I watched this video the other day, I thought it was a rather fair take... you can judge for yourself, it's 40 minutes..
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Why do my tax dollars need to go to another shithole?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We have hundreds of thousands of people illegally crossing our southern border on this subject the dimocrats aren’t interested in getting to the root cause.

I would rather see us work to get rid of corruption and industrialize Central America than Africa.
View Quote

That would require our crooks in the govt. to have their crooks in the the govt. run out on a rail; as opposed to the emulation our politicians currently have for them.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top