Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have literally never heard a Northerner gloat or even bring up in conversation the Civil war.

Southerners talk about it constantly. OP is projecting.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have literally never heard a Northerner gloat or even bring up in conversation the Civil war.

View Quote

Me either. But every yankee I have met brags about how awesome the north is and bitches about the south. And I ask why did you move here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Me either. But every yankee I have met brags about how awesome the north is and bitches about the south. And I ask why did you move here.
View Quote
Mostly because you guys advertised the ever living fuck out of your state and how cheap it is the live there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll be in FL Sunday.  looks like 80 and sunny at new smyrna beach next week.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only people I know that talk about the civil war are southerners. And talk. And talk. And talk.
View Quote
This. Was raised in the north. The war of rebellion was only mentioned, in passing, in American History class.
Moved to the south more than forty years ago and hear a lot of pissing and moaning about how unfair it all was/is.
Kind of childish.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nope. Job transferred me here.  Texan, proud of it.  I can't wait to live there again.
View Quote

Say no more . . .
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only people I know that talk about the civil war are southerners. And talk. And talk. And talk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Mostly because you guys advertised the ever living fuck out of your state and how cheap it is the live there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Visit North Carolina's RetireNC program works to bring potential retirees to the state by promoting RetireNC.com and the North Carolina Certified Retirement Communities program. The program emphasizes North Carolina's assets that make it a top retirement destination. Visit North Carolina maintains the Certified Retirement Communities Program and helps those communities reach out to potential retirees and assist them in visiting the state to learn more about retirement opportunities.

Certified Retirement Community Program

In July 2008, the Legislature passed SB 1627, which created the North Carolina Certified Retirement Community program, to be administered by the North Carolina Department of Commerce. In July 2018, revisions were made by the General Assembly to enhance and continue the program in order to reach the program's goals of promoting North Carolina as a preferred retirement destination and encouraging the mature market to travel to our great state.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll be in FL Sunday.  looks like 80 and sunny at new smyrna beach next week.  

View Quote

I'm in FL right now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sherman left a bad taste in our mouths. He brought the war right to our front pourches.
The famous Arlington house in Birmingham, Al was spared being burn down. Because Arlington was a northern sympathizer. The Arlington house stands today and sill intact and even has all the original antebellum furniture inside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When people say "Yankee" about anything, it confirms they are backwards and potentially retarded.  No different than someone who believes they deserve reparations from slavery.

I have lived all over the US and the only place that talks about the Civil War is the south, often within minutes of conversation.  I live minutes away from Revolutionary War Battlefields and have never mentioned them to anyone, ever.  Neither are part of my identity.

Sherman left a bad taste in our mouths. He brought the war right to our front pourches.
The famous Arlington house in Birmingham, Al was spared being burn down. Because Arlington was a northern sympathizer. The Arlington house stands today and sill intact and even has all the original antebellum furniture inside.

That's what, 4-5 generations ago depending on your family?  Any "bad taste" is artificial flavoring at this point.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, we can be long distance friends then, because I am damn sure not moving south. A good cold winter keeps out the riff raff
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The answer is jealously

The north is a cold, desolate, soulless place filled woth ugly women.
View Quote

Statistically speaking, the northeast States have the most inshape and fit women in the country, so....
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When people say "Yankee" about anything, it confirms they are backwards and potentially retarded.
View Quote
Certainly doesn't help.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Certainly doesn't help.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When people say "Yankee" about anything, it confirms they are backwards and potentially retarded.
Certainly doesn't help.

Even baseball??
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Every town square around me has a monument to those who died fighting in that war.  

I like to reserve gloating about the Civil War as a mere garnish.  Every winter there is a beautiful moment when 2 inches of frozen white Northern Aggression drops on Dixie.  Then, as the beautiful chaos blossoms into a ballet of squealing tires and gyrating vehicles of all forms, my Schadenfreude turns white hot and I howl with laughter.

Minivans in trees, children abandoned in the schools in Atlanta...is that picture of the highway of death in the withdrawal from Kuwait?  No, that is just outside Durham, North Carolina.  Only in the South can someone spin their tires so hard and for so long the ATF in their transmissions overheats, barfs out the fill tube and then ignites on the exhaust.  Flames!  Snow (well, slush)!  OH THE HUMANITY!

Then the interviews.  The southern accents are all the more delicious when they are lamenting their certain fate of freezing to death (or starvation- nothing to eat is a mysteriously common complaint) after auguring their Honda into a ditch.  The best part is common refrain: "The South doesn't get snow like this, so we don't have any reason to get the [fancy Yankee technology of your choice: plow trucks, salt, sand, snow tires, snow shovels, snow blowers, winter boots, winter coats, a fucking warm hat and gloves].  It just doesn't happen!"

Except it does happen.  Every fucking year, Johnny Rebs.  And I am waiting, popcorn at the ready and I promise not to ruin this beautiful shit salad by over-seasoning it with gloat over the outcome of the Civil War.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

People in PA will gloat about their connections to the Revolutionary war, not the civil war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've lived in PA my whole live and I can honestly say I have never heard anyone here gloating about the Civil War. In fact most people just don't talk about it at all. Many of us don't have family connections to it, lot of our families came over from Europe in the period after the Civil War but before WWII. So I do hear lots of talk about WWII, especially since many folks my age had grandparents who fought in it.

I find it very interesting personally from a strategy, military, and humanitarian perspective to study. But I also find it very sad that it happened and that so many men lost their lives. It needs to be taught and studied for eternity to ensure we as a country prevent something like that from ever happening here again.

Just because we happen to live in the North, I would not characterize most of us as gloating about it.

People in PA will gloat about their connections to the Revolutionary war, not the civil war.

yep
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Why do people who have no collection to slavery in America at all still insist there is one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The answer is jealously

The north is a cold, desolate, soulless place filled woth ugly women.
View Quote
LOL.... no. Honey Booboo isn't a NYer.

And neither Northerners nor Southerners have any clue on what real women are. The Latin American Capitol, FLORIDA has the good looking women. A South Beach 2 is like a Mississippi 11.

Plus, what state do you love in since you're too afraid to list it.

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Why are yankees always gloating about the Civil War?
View Quote

I don't know. Why do black always complain about slavery that ended 165 years ago. No one alive today was a slave back then. No one alive today has 1st-hand knowledge of what slaves did or went through back then. No one alive today owned salves back then. No one alive today has 1st-hand knowledge of what it was like being a slave owner.

Slavery happened. You can't deny it. You can't run from it. And you can't force people to forget it. You can try, but you'll fail.

And if their treatment back then reflects upon on how you act today, then you're sorely out of touch with reality.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...because the South won't let it die.  It's history.  Let it stay as history.
View Quote
In many places it's more than just history, the church graveyards are loaded with KIA's, there are historical plaques, signs, buildings, cannons, parks that are all related to it.

In short, the event itself (not its reasoning and politics) is still very prominently displayed in daily social life.

for example
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yankee means upper east coast, not north.  Too many people f that up.  I agree that only southerners stay stuck talking about the civil war.
View Quote

This merely touches on the broader topic, as the "I wrap my whole self-identity around, and view the world through a filter based on "the war" crowd defines "yankee" as anyone who is not them, and uses it as a pejorative. This confuses normal people not wrapped up into their ideology.

One of many hallmarks of ideological possession is the use of private definitions, often with terminology that makes zero sense in larger contexts. But, the definitions serve the purpose of advancing and perpetuating the victim mentality. The term, "African American" is another great example, and that one's codified into law.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In many places it's more than just history, the church graveyards are loaded with KIA's, there are historical plaques, signs, buildings, cannons, parks that are all related to it.

In short, the event itself (not its reasoning and politics) is still very prominently displayed in daily social life.

for example
View Quote

What is this supposed to highlight? That Confederate forces could win some battles but overall just weren't good at waging war?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Laughs in 30 round mag
View Quote

Laughs in 30 round mags and permit less carry, and no purchase permits etc. NC isn’t as free as y’all want it to be.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
From people that have no connection with it.  Is it a reflection of their personal values? Do they think it projects some kind of guilt?  Is it the only think that make their life somehow less pitiful?  Discuss.
View Quote

You're still sore that we took away your negroes.  Wow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I was raised in the north, growing up in Michigan.  My family had been "Northerners" (i.e., Yankees) for generations, with my GrGrGrandfather serving as a Union soldier and participating in "Sherman's March to the Sea"----then, after the warm naming his next born son (my GrGrandfather) Sherman, after the General of the same moniker.

All that being said, my Grandfather----who never knew his GrGrGrandfather----always said that if he had known him, he would have "kicked him in the ass," for he fought for the wrong side.

Take solace in that OP......

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Jesus southerners are thin skinned.  

Any ETA on when y'all are rising again?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

yep
View Quote

and the French & Indian War
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#29]
The South is (can be) awesome.

The North can be awesome.

Someone pass me a bourbon. I’m sitting this one out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
From people that have no connection with it.  Is it a reflection of their personal values? Do they think it projects some kind of guilt?  Is it the only think that make their life somehow less pitiful?  Discuss.
View Quote

I have never heard a single person gloat about the civil war.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. I have 3 uber Liberal family members move from Cali to Texas because of that. The Texan guys bitch about it, but the very same politicians they voted for brought it upon them
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why do bama fans have a personal sense of self worth over championships "won" over 100 years ago?
View Quote

I live on Alabama now and I find this idiotic. Almost Branch roll-Tide-ism.....

It is a game. A sports ball game. Not an identity....
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LOL.... no. Honey Booboo isn't a NYer.

And neither Northerners nor Southerners have any clue on what real women are. The Latin American Capitol, FLORIDA has the good looking women. A South Beach 2 is like a Mississippi 11.

Plus, what state do you love in since you're too afraid to list it.

View Quote

This is incredibly true. And its only true of SE Florida. Once you get to the "Southern" areas, ie the rest of rural Fl, the women are fat nasty chain smoking white trash Wal Mart mutants.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This thread is inspired by the FP in the other thread, right?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/D64B5972-31F4-43D1-A7E6-961DC925628D_jpe-2214809.JPG
View Quote

You should have known it was a joke.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What is this supposed to highlight? That Confederate forces could win some battles but overall just weren't good at waging war?
View Quote

Confederate were too romantic about pivotal but temporary and glorious battles , not so much focused on the bigger picture and it bit them in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Laughs in 30 round mags and permit less carry, and no purchase permits etc. NC isn't as free as y'all want it to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laughs in 30 round mag

Laughs in 30 round mags and permit less carry, and no purchase permits etc. NC isn't as free as y'all want it to be.

Don't pop their bubble and make them use google.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Its the only thing they can really brag about.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Because the War Of Northern Aggression was the cancer that caused the slow and painful death of federalism and brought us to where we are today.  NOW all of a sudden people are recognizing that states rights actually mean something, oddly its the southern states leading the way... again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gaslighting,

Southerners have had a long tradition of bullshitting themselves into making a big deal out of losing the Civil War with grace. Not to mention sore losers at that because of Jim Crow laws which is ironic.

I don't see people waving union flags at Yankee events like the Confederate South will rise again types.
View Quote

Whats ironic is the amount of Rebel Flags you see flying where I live….not rear windows of pickup trucks…..I mean people displaying the Confederate flag in front of their homes usually right next to the American flag

Guess where?

Hint: not West nor remotely close to South
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holy hell, this.

And how often do you see Yankees flying flags from that era?  Ever??

That being said, a Yankee is just a quickie that you do by yourself.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Because they’re fucking Yankees
View Quote

That's Damn Yankee to you
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Both sides had their faults, & tragedies. What some fail to realize is yankee/southerner
really didn't mean too much. Many from the "north" fought for the confederacy. There were
"southerners" that fought for the union. & someone said earlier how no one could have
ties to the civil war. My grandfather told me a few stories about his great uncle. Who fought
in the civil war.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#44]

I think we all know what the OP would blame those results on. We've had those threads before as well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
+

Why is it you had to make a whole post about a joke? Maybe instead of having an aneurysm you take a chill pill.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

for example
View Quote
Which, a lot of it was done by the Daughters of the Confederacy to promote lost cause revisionism and support Jim Crow in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Laughs in 30 round mag

NH doesn't even have gun free zones in their schools. NH is a hell of a lot more free than the South.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Both sides had their faults, & tragedies. What some fail to realize is yankee/southerner
really didn't mean too much. Many from the "north" fought for the confederacy. There were
"southerners" that fought for the union. & someone said earlier how no one could have
ties to the civil war. My grandfather told me a few stories about his great uncle. Who fought
in the civil war.
View Quote

Nuance? Shades of gray? We don’t do those things around here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup. I have 3 uber Liberal family members move from Cali to Texas because of that. The Texan guys bitch about it, but the very same politicians they voted for brought it upon them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The truth hurts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Grew up in PA, my military career has taken me to SC, FL, AL, LA, TX, AK...  

My experiences mirror many on this thread--a select few Southerners are butt hurt over event in the late 1800s.

I'll say this, I love where I grew up...but they can't hold a candle to food options in the South.

EDIT: I've noticed in places like SC, TX and FL. The people with 'NATIVE' stickers on their truck/heap, tend to drive like the biggest assholes.  If I've just described you, I want to thank you for self-identifying and making it easier to keep up my situational awareness.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top