BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's what, 4-5 generations ago depending on your family?  Any "bad taste" is artificial flavoring at this point.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When people say "Yankee" about anything, it confirms they are backwards and potentially retarded.  No different than someone who believes they deserve reparations from slavery.

I have lived all over the US and the only place that talks about the Civil War is the south, often within minutes of conversation.  I live minutes away from Revolutionary War Battlefields and have never mentioned them to anyone, ever.  Neither are part of my identity.

Sherman left a bad taste in our mouths. He brought the war right to our front pourches.
The famous Arlington house in Birmingham, Al was spared being burn down. Because Arlington was a northern sympathizer. The Arlington house stands today and sill intact and even has all the original antebellum furniture inside.

That's what, 4-5 generations ago depending on your family?  Any "bad taste" is artificial flavoring at this point.

Fraid not homey.
My /our grand parents remembered the horrors brought to their homes and towns from Sherman. They member the COLLATERAL damage these A holes brought. They passed down the stories to us younglings.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It's kind of funny but I have never been called a Yankee until I moved south, I'm from Chicago. I never referred to Southern people as Johnny Rebs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, except in this case the party that lost would continue to gain power and influence and implement its ideology in government for generations.

The Republican party has been the party of of individual liberty, federalism, and small government since its founding. It just had a beef with slavery. That's it. Because, well, that individual liberty thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civil War threads are always fun.

To put it in context, there is rumbling of Civil War 2.0.  Imagine it happened and the liberals won.  Your life as you know it ended along with  everything you love about the country.  It becomes some authoritarian hellhole liberal paradise, everything regulated, no guns, social credit scores, the works.

Would you be bitter about for generations?  Probably.

Well, except in this case the party that lost would continue to gain power and influence and implement its ideology in government for generations.

The Republican party has been the party of of individual liberty, federalism, and small government since its founding. It just had a beef with slavery. That's it. Because, well, that individual liberty thing.

None of that matters to the side that loses.  The winner will always paint themselves as the righteous victor.  That is the way it has been throughout all of history.

In my example, we’d go down in history as the vanquished deplorable evil white bigots.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only people I know that talk about the civil war are southerners. And talk. And talk. And talk.
View Quote

THIS..
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's kind of funny but I have never been called a Yankee until I moved south, I'm from Chicago. I never referred to Southern people as Johnny Rebs.
View Quote

Alot of that has nothing to do with the past or the war of northern agression. it's because some northerners are harsh, too up tight and not laid back enough.
We rarely even honk our car horns at each other. We talk friendly to strangers, with zero hidden agendas. It's different down here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I gloat everytime I am uptown and see our 10 foot tall copper statue of a confederate soldier facing North, standing watch, musket by his side, haversack and bedroll just daring the Yankee vermin to try it again. It won't work out so well for you a second time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I gloat everytime I am uptown and see our 10 foot tall copper statue of a confederate soldier facing North, standing watch, musket by his side, haversack and bedroll just daring the Yankee vermin to try it again. It won't work out so well for you a second time.
View Quote
Is this with the heavily armed electric scooter cavalry armed with CPAPs and Diabetes?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

None of that matters to the side that loses.  The winner will always paint themselves as the righteous victor.  That is the way it has been throughout all of history.

In my example, we'd go down in history as the vanquished deplorable evil white bigots.
View Quote
American Southerners are like South African Boers. They lost the war but won the peace for a good chunk during the 20th Century. But, just like with the end of Apartheid, Jim Crow also collapsed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.
My /our grand parents remembered the horrors brought to their homes and towns from Sherman. They member the COLLATERAL damage these A holes brought. They passed down the stories to us younglings.
View Quote

All that could have been prevented if the Confederacy would have been better at war.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

All that could have been prevented if the Confederacy would have been better at war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.

Like not firing the first shots and actually gaining diplomatic recognition.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They'd go home and wouldn't even move if you guys didn't keep advertising how great it is. Last I checked, it was the Georgia Legislature and Georgia Governors that gave tax breaks to "Yankee" businesses to invest and settle in the Peach State. Hollywood moved to Atlanta and turned it into Y'allwood not because they're evil carpetbaggers, but because of an ever increasing ad campaign to lure said industry and a never ending cavalcade of tax breaks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a southerner who feels no guilt about past transgressions real or imagined, I get tired of hearing this stuff.
While we're on the subject though, speaking from experience, while they may not talk about the war itself, Yankees rarely let the opportunity pass to disparage southerners as can be seen and heard from yankee television, movies and books along with carpetbagging here to tell us how much better it was up north.
Yankee go home, we're full because we got too damn many Yankees taking up space here.
Y'all talk funny too, it hurts our ears.
They'd go home and wouldn't even move if you guys didn't keep advertising how great it is. Last I checked, it was the Georgia Legislature and Georgia Governors that gave tax breaks to "Yankee" businesses to invest and settle in the Peach State. Hollywood moved to Atlanta and turned it into Y'allwood not because they're evil carpetbaggers, but because of an ever increasing ad campaign to lure said industry and a never ending cavalcade of tax breaks.

Ouch! Those truth bombs have got to hurt!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
American Southerners are like South African Boers. They lost the war but won the peace for a good chunk during the 20th Century. But, just like with the end of Apartheid, Jim Crow also collapsed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my example, we'd go down in history as the vanquished deplorable evil white bigots.

If course.  Slavery, apartheid, Jim Crow were never sustainable in a modern society.  

Even if the Civil War had not been fought slavery would have ended.  It just would have ended slightly later than it did.  But there is no way we would still have slavery today in the form that it existed then.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.

It wasn't just northeners we went to war with it, was the whole United States Goverment and all their tactics and weaponary. The North was industrial. Didn't need slaves as much. And could produce weaponary.
South was agricultural. Needed a man work force. (I hate slavery and am ashamed of our past). But you can't change history.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

North was industrial. Didn't need slaves as much. And could produce weaponary.
South was agricultural. Needed a man work force. (I hate slavery and am ashamed of our past). But you can't change history.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.

You can't. Also why I dont see a point in getting worked up about it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
In my 72 years on this planet I've never heard anything about the Civil War coming from "yankees", ever.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.

You call this worked up? What milk toast world do you live in?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

But the original naming and statues were OK, even if it was nonsense to try to appease idiots that were never be satisfied nor appeased and it continued to provoke discord among the populace?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
From people that have no connection with it.  Is it a reflection of their personal values? Do they think it projects some kind of guilt?  Is it the only think that make their life somehow less pitiful?  Discuss.
The new age of gloating about it is nothing more than the sheep mentality brought on by the statue debate.

But the statues shouldn't have been removed and military bases shouldn't be renamed, that's government nonsense to try to appease idiots that will never be satisfied nor appeased and will continue to provoke discord among the populace for their own flawed ideals.

Southerners (of all races) need their heroes preserved in the historical record of our nation the same as Northerners and even the filthy Californians.

But the original naming and statues were OK, even if it was nonsense to try to appease idiots that were never be satisfied nor appeased and it continued to provoke discord among the populace?

Those bases were given Southern generals names to keep the population from going ballistic that the Federal government was seizing the land of the several states to forever maintain a strong Federal military presence in every state of the union. Worked too.

Despite being on the losing side of the conflict, as a military staff corps, the South had better quality generals.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Civil war was before my time.

Originally from Ill.

Why would I give a flying fuck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only people I know that talk about the civil war are southerners. And talk. And talk. And talk.
View Quote

GTFBUN.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It wasn't just northeners we went to war with it, was the whole United States Goverment and all their tactics and weaponary. The North was industrial. Didn't need slaves as much. And could produce weaponary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.

The South was producing better/higher quality gunpowder than the North by the end of the war. In a much safer industrialized factory than any in the North at the time.

It's a shame the Southern troops blew the place up during a retreat, it would have probably catapulted the industrial revolution ahead by a decade, nationwide.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:31:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fraid not homey.

I was speaking in a generality.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm curious if hehas ever been to Pennsyltucky before or seen the rural counties of Western NY and how they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say most northerners I have met (and if the discussion went that direction) believe in a strong central government, kind of a absolute rule thing.  And most believe in joining unions, another strong form governing.

So your sample size is obviously small, as most northerners are conservative.  You sound foolish.
I'm curious if hehas ever been to Pennsyltucky before or seen the rural counties of Western NY and how they are.

Lifted trucks and unintelligible backwoods accents exist on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:Bingo. They constantly make threads, such as this, and that other one, and drone on and on and on and, of course, engage in revisionist history.This thread is just the OP deflecting.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you have a source for this claim? Lot of southerners live and talk about this in Washington state?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...because the South won't let it die.  It's history.  Let it stay as history.

Do you have a source for this claim? Lot of southerners live and talk about this in Washington state?

The only southerners I see are fake, red necks at best driving their lifted Dodges with stacks through the bed and confederate flags waving in the black smoke they feel they need to share. They then bitch about DEF and emissions on the new diesels. . Who cares what wet fantasy’s they have, their the reason emissions are why they are on diesels. We have our own issues with all the blue liberals here, who cares about something that happened 150 years ago? It’s fucking history and it didn’t concern us then and share as fuck doesn’t now. The only thing those flag wavers do is make us all look stupid, and cause more shit thrown at us for their stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Because revisionist lies make heroes out of slime. Very few know why brother fought brother and a nation called for volunteers to kill its own citizens.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:There is a huge anti-Southern bias in the country, more so now than ever before. I can see being defensive. Bubba/hick/redneck etc.  Although I read in Newsweek years ago (complete with graph), marrying cousins was more predominate in the north.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lifted trucks and unintelligible backwoods accents exist on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.
View Quote

^————————This———————^
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yankee here. I don't have any friends here in PA that talk about the Civil War let alone gloat about it. I assume OP posts a lot of shit on the internet and gets trolled.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#29]
The South lost, the North won. Get the fuck over it! You were not born nor lived through it. Just fucking stop already. The South will not rise again and the Union is now in jeopardy by enemies within that care little for honor or freedom. They want us ALL DEAD! Blue and Gray, North and South! Shut the fuck up about slavery as well. We are all going to be slaves if we don’t stay together and fight the REAL enemy!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Because the War Of Northern Aggression was the cancer that caused the slow and painful death of federalism and brought us to where we are today.  NOW all of a sudden people are recognizing that states rights actually mean something, oddly its the southern states leading the way... again.
View Quote

This.
Among all the purse swinging in this thread, this gem appears.
The South gave the Union all the reason it wanted and needed to create the Federal monster that it now is.
Thanks, lincoln.
160 years later we are truly feeling it, and its only just beginning.
You should have picked your own cotton.
Now we ALL have to pick up that can.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:The way the Civil War ended was the best possible outcome for this country.
We are all Americans, our common enemy is the commies who are trying to destroy this country.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:Attachment Attached File
As a southerner who feels no guilt about past transgressions real or imagined, I get tired of hearing this stuff.
While we’re on the subject though, speaking from experience, while they may not talk about the war itself, Yankees rarely let the opportunity pass to disparage southerners as can be seen and heard from yankee television, movies and books along with carpetbagging here to tell us how much better it was up north.
Yankee go home, we’re full because we got too damn many Yankees taking up space here.
Y’all talk funny too, it hurts our ears.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#33]
I think a lot of southerners like playing the victim card , much like liberals .

Don't start none , won't be none  .
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Yankees love to brag about their victory in one thread and complain about the direction of our country in another…..

All I can say is “ Love what you’ve done with the place” !!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Because Yankees, and their descendants, are still the same scumbags who have always denigrated and despised southerners. Times have changed now though, we have plenty of money and most of the weapons, not to mention better supplied and in a much better position than back then. The northern sissy would be in for a big surprise if North vs South happened today.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think a lot of southerners like playing the victim card , much like liberals .

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Spoken from the safety of
a very northern state.  So,hows that governor working out for you?

Quoted:

Yankee here. I don't have any friends here in PA that talk about the Civil War let alone gloat about it. I assume OP posts a lot of shit on the internet and gets trolled.

Is that the limit of your critical thinking?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
When taken in context (industrial capacity, population, etc) it really is akin to Andre the Giant gloating for a hundred years about beating Peter Dinklage in the 5th round of an MMA match, while shying away from the ultra embarrassing reality that he should have won within moments of it beginning.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#39]
100%.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Posts like this show the mentality of some, instead of discussing the real issues at hand, let’s deflect and redirect attention. It’s not just northern governors, but it soon will be all. Your pointing at critical thinking, to me I see a complete lack of critical thinking, if anything I see the opposite. You want to talk about history that has led us to where we are now, how’s that working for the whole of the USA?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Alot of that has nothing to do with the past or the war of northern agression. it's because some northerners are harsh, too up tight and not laid back enough.
We rarely even honk our car horns at each other. We talk friendly to strangers, with zero hidden agendas. It's different down here.
View Quote

That has been my experience with the good people of the South. We were welcomed with open arms and the Yankee comment was just in jest. Honestly, I never even thought about it growing up in Chicago. It just never came up unless you were talking about North siders vs. South siders in Chicago, they even have their own Baseball teams! Now, half of my family came here from Germany after WW2 and it was Bavarian's (my family) that were considered back country folk. Sort of similar I think.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yankees love to brag about their victory in one thread and complain about the direction of our country in another..

All I can say is " Love what you've done with the place" !!
View Quote
You're missing out on that sweet apartheid-based agrarian economy that would have to wonder what to do with human property after it was eclipsed by technology.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:Just using the term “yankee” makes me think the OP is obsessed.
View Quote

How do feel about the term “rebel”?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Because they won the war we're all Yankees now
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:The answer is jealously!!  The north is a cold, desolate, soulless place filled woth ugly women.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is this with the heavily armed electric scooter cavalry armed with CPAPs and Diabetes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add in all the +40 year old missing half a leg. Although that's not much different down south.

My family was from Tennessee, Family fought for the North in The Kentucky Calvary, nobody gives a shit  except the folks who lost.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You damn yankees come down here and trash our beaches and fuck our thick hot ass girls. Just kidding.
I have no beef with Americans living north of the Mason dixon line. Southerners who live at the gulf coast believe any one north of Interstate 10 is a fucking Yankee.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Why are Easterners still talking about it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In my 72 years on this planet I've never heard anything about the Civil War coming from "yankees", ever.
View Quote

In my 43 years I've spent about 15 in the south, nobody up north talks about it. But the losers sure do.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Well the south may have lost the war, but now the entire country gets to pay for their imported work force.  
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top