What happened?

Breaking Bad - Laser Pointers
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Emitting is gross.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Muh sniper laser pointer.

It’s what we call a visual storytelling element.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a fast way to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a Lasermax on a LCP for shits and giggles. Wont hold zero after 2-3 shots. Friend has the same issue with a CT one on his pistol and its been warrantied for it before.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Muh sniper laser pointer.

It’s what we call a visual storytelling element.
View Quote

I suppose it would have a psychological effect, if you're close range. A laser would tell them "yep, that gun is pointed right at my chest!"
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It still is with the poors(check the number of reviews for $20 lasers on Amazon) and people who don't actually shoot their guns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Because it would have never really been a thing but for Hollyweird. They have some applications but they'll spotlight the shooter as much as it'll ID the POI.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Lasers are last year technology. Only people at the gun range that use them are boomers lol
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I only have one on an LCR. It still holds zero and is quite handy, tbh.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
They are a great training aid,  but for actual shooting, no thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]
They suck, are slow to acquire and who looks at their own chest to see if a gun is pointed at them?

Fun for the cats if you can keep your finger off the trigger though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Light works both ways, I’m guessing.

I could understand a laser that’s NV only, assuming your opponent(s) aren’t in that same wavelegnth.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Snubbys with useless sights are one of the few places I can understand their use. Then again getting a gun with proper sights/optics is a much better idea.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have one on a 300blk. It is invisible though.
View Quote

Unless your opponent has NODS.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Because five minutes on a range with a timer in hand shows that they fucking suck.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
30+ years ago there was an article in the newspaper where my neighbor was arrested in the McDonald’s parking lot with bricks of cocaine. A few nights later his house got raided. I could see them ripping up all of the insulation in his attic through the gable vent, I could hear them tossing his woodpile in the basement. I guess they generally ransacked the place.

He never did any jail time beyond a week I believe but a nice guy arrived with a Rolls Royce limo and driver about 3 months later. He was inside my neighbors house for about 3 hours before leaving.

He then ventured into flipping pallets. Pick up trailer loads of cracked pallets, repair them as needed and take them out to resell. The trailer would be stacked just under 16 foot high. He ended up having two workers that helped him with the carpentry repairs on the pallets. Stated he cleared $110k in cash two years in a row doing that. No idea where the money went because he lived in absolute squalor.

Fast forward about 5 years I had this super bright laser pointer and I shined it through his front picture window while he was asleep watching Tv in his chair. Took a bit to wake him up by flipping the red beam past his face. When he did come to, I moved the laser to the center of his chest. He sat for about 5 seconds looking at it before jumping up to turn off all of the lights ad Tv. So I shut off the laser and watched. I was in the shadows but could see his face in the moonlight looking out various windows of his house.

About 10 years later I was bullshitting with him when I bought his dads rifle from him. I came clean about the laser and he was relieved it was me. He lived all that time looking over his shoulder thinking the coke guy was going to come back for him. He eventually ended up dead of a heart attack on the side of the road while picking up firewood.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#19]
{Deleted}
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks cool on my paintball launcher !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
30+ years ago there was an article in the newspaper where my neighbor was arrested in the McDonald’s parking lot with bricks of cocaine. A few nights later his house got raided. I could see them ripping up all of the insulation in his attic through the gable vent, I could hear them tossing his woodpile in the basement. I guess they generally ransacked the place.

He never did any jail time beyond a week I believe but a nice guy arrived with a Rolls Royce limo and driver about 3 months later. He was inside my neighbors house for about 3 hours before leaving.

He then ventured into flipping pallets. Pick up trailer loads of cracked pallets, repair them as needed and take them out to resell. The trailer would be stacked just under 16 foot high. He ended up having two workers that helped him with the carpentry repairs on the pallets. Stated he cleared $110k in cash two years in a row doing that. No idea where the money went because he lived in absolute squalor.

Fast forward about 5 years I had this super bright laser pointer and I shined it through his front picture window while he was asleep watching Tv in his chair. Took a bit to wake him up by flipping the red beam past his face. When he did come to, I moved the laser to the center of his chest. He sat for about 5 seconds looking at it before jumping up to turn off all of the lights ad Tv. So I shut off the laser and watched. I was in the shadows but could see his face in the moonlight looking out various windows of his house.

About 10 years later I was bullshitting with him when I bought his dads rifle from him. I came clean about the laser and he was relieved it was me. He lived all that time looking over his shoulder thinking the coke guy was going to come back for him. He eventually ended up dead of a heart attack on the side of the road while picking up firewood.
View Quote

This reads like Trailer Park Fan Fiction.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you like me to post a photo of his dads rifle? I suppose the newspaper might still have the article on microfiche.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#24]
They are, they are just internal now so only the shooter sees the dot...
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]
If my grandma wanted a 38 i might put a laser on it. But otherwise rds makes more sense to me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:38:33 PM EDT
[#26]
It’s only useful function is psychological.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I still have quite a few in the green ones are actually usable outdoors
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Would you like me to post a photo of his dads rifle? I suppose the newspaper might still have the article on microfiche.
View Quote

Not even a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Sometimes the dumbassery is so epic you just sit there and watch, in awe.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
They don't work well if at all in sunlight which means that about 50% of the time they are worthless.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a set of CTs on my SIG 232 that I still like, because the damn things just WORK.

But yeah, I imagine Crimson Trace is not a good stock anymore (are they even still around?).
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I used one when they first came many years ago to shoot a couple IPSC matches. Certainly wasn’t faster and didn’t feel natural so I hadn’t thought of them as any type of primary weapon sight. Now IR a with NODS/? That is a whole other ballgame and they are very effective if your team is the only ones with night vision. You can really put the hurt on any poor bastards trying to man a defense position at night in relatively close quarters. As much NV devices as we lost to the bad guys i don’t think it’s that much of an advantage anymore.

I have a green laser on my “home defense/SHTF”. Carbine. It’s not the primary sight: That’s a red dot. It’s there for two reasons. Primarily as a final warning to someone OUTSIDE  my house to back off and go away. Not going to fine a warning shot but that might be enough of an encouragement to someone to stop. Inside, no warnings, two center of mass with follow ups if needed.

Lastly, if you’ve ever been on the ground with blood/sweat/CS in your eyes it can be very hard to get a sight picture. That situation it might be the only way to get on target quickly.

Again, not primary, but there are POTENTIAL applications for one. Beside’s what else are you going to do with all that extra rail space?
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I use one on a PDP as a laser pointer at work. Really keeps folks focussed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I suppose it would have a psychological effect, if you're close range. A laser would tell them "yep, that gun is pointed right at my chest!"
View Quote

" A convict with a laser dot on his chest is no longer a part of a crowd."--
Alabama Corrections Officer
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I bought a used S&W Shield 2.0 that has a laser built into it and I have to say, it is pretty accurate with it. I get a few people at the range who want to try it and see if it is for them. They were a fad of sorts and now with the advent of rds on pistols,the time of the lasers are over.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#38]
If you run a shield on an entry team in a full face respirator and an mRDS doesn't work for you, they have some value.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lasers are last year technology. Only people at the gun range that use them are boomers lol
View Quote
Not true!  I sold my unused green laser to a millennial.  

He put it on his Kel-Tec KSG because it wouldn't fit his Taurus Judge.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#40]
"Da beamz" has a big fan base... But we can't talk about it here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same, but a Crimson Trace on a J frame.  I like it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Limited usefulness. Cost.

Good for old cops, with declining eyesight, that must qualify with a JFRAME back up gun. But that’s more an issue of ridiculous range qualification standards.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:15:23 PM EDT
[#43]
In a defensive situation they make no sense; let's point a gun, look for a dot "somewhere over there".

You're attention is on looking for a fucking dot.

RDS is the only way.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Cuz dem beams will get u anotha 20 wit da feds…
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I can't wait for a an X300 sized LEP "pointer"

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In a defensive situation they make no sense; let's point a gun, look for a dot "somewhere over there".

You're attention is on looking for a fucking dot.

RDS is the only way.
View Quote

Target focus is the same for RDS or a laser. If you are searching for the dot your presentation sucks
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#47]
When Laser Devices Inc was pushing theirs in the 90s, I had to get one for the MP5. It fit horribly, but never lost a zero. I ended up getting another housing for it. Pulled the laser module and was rocking it on a P89.

I believe Beretta bought them out and they are now part of Steiner. Either way, the laser still functions 100%.

ETA- Laser have been an AWESOME deterrent in LE. The red dot on someone's chest seems to have a different effect. The problem was the quality of them and the CT one I had always ended up getting blocked by indexing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Target focus is the same for RDS or a laser. If you are searching for the dot your presentation sucks
View Quote

Not really. A visible light laser gives you no user feedback unless it’s on target.

If it was useful and an advantage on a handgun they would be used in competitive venues were they’re legal. But they’re not.

They’re useful on a PCC in an extremely narrow set of circumstances which are only made relevant by the rules of the competition and don’t translate to the real world.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why aren’t laser pointers a thing anymore on guns?

View Quote

They invented new gimmicks to attach to handguns, like red dot sights

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top