Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
How many here have actually fired a PPK. I have a late 50's early 60's PPK in .32. It is glass smooth in operation, the fit and finish are fantastic, and it hits dead on. Damn fine pistol, and my carry piece when I travel outside of Illinoistan where I can use my carry cards.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How many here have actually fired a PPK. I have a late 50's early 60's PPK in .32. It is glass smooth in operation, the fit and finish are fantastic, and it hits dead on. Damn fine pistol, and my carry piece when I travel outside of Illinoistan where I can use my carry cards.

My Mother had a friend that let me shoot his pre-1968 PPK in .32 ACP.  I thought it was interesting, but nothing to get excited about.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
When Fleming was writing his novels, in the early 50's, his choices for a concealable handgun were much less than today.

I would bet the PPK in .380 was king of hill for concealable pistols 60 years ago.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But the pakistani doc didnt have to race to get the location of Bin Ladens hideout to his CIA handler on skis, whilst Al Qaeda gunmen chased after him spraying the snow and trees arround him with gunfire as they rocket down a mountainside and off a cliff where the CIA agent is miraculously waiting in a helicopter and then they fly into the sunset with the doctor hanging from the skids as the gunmen fall to thier doom.

And you know this how?

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
When Fleming was writing his novels, in the early 50's, his choices for a concealable handgun were much less than today.

I would bet the PPK in .380 was king of hill for concealable pistols 60 years ago.

European thought processes in firearms selection.     A pistol was a smaller caliber, easy to shoot, rarely used tool.     Rifles were for battle, pistols were for expressing authority.    

There's an old book I have floating around about Bond and how the guns were selected (and mistakes in the holster...that was designed for a revolver...that the Armorer gave Bond)....
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
unable to find a 1911 that thick
[/div]

I measured my personal Remington Rand M1911A1, three customer 1911s, my roommates' three Springfield 1911s, and four Colt M1911s that belong to my boss. Then I measured and averaged my pair of Gen 3 Glock 17s. And I checked the calipers I used against two other calipers.

10+ 1911 average dimensions:
Grip 1.271
Widest point: 1.333
slide: .921
Frame: .760

Glock
Grip: 1.215
Widest point: 1.262
Slide: 1.005
Frame: 1.145

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
James Bond’s PPK gun is only good for its looks

By STEPHEN HUNTER, Published: October 4

It’s like shooting a cork from a fistful of barbed wire. You won’t hit anyone, but it’s okay, because if you did hit them, they’d just get really mad.

That’s the sleek but basically useless PPK, with which Ian Fleming — who knew nothing about guns — armed James Bond, and then died before both 007 and the pistol became icons.

Fleming presumably made his choice of weapon on the basis of design alone. And indeed, the PPK (in German it stands for “short police pistol”) is a cool little beauty. It looks like Nietzschean poetry in steel, with a thrust of decadent Weimar art moderne to it. And it is Weimar, the latest thing from 1931, with its radical double-action design. It’s light, thin, designed for undercover work, meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. It was already old-fashioned by the time Connery got his in ’62.

Its tragic flaw is that when it was designed, streamline was the hot lick, but nobody had heard of ergonomics; men adjusted to machines, not the other way around. And though it looks sleek, its edges are all razor sharp, while the trigger pull is like dragging a 75-pound rake across gravel. When you finally get the 10-pound lever far enough back to fire, the pipsqueak jumps like a snapping mousetrap as it recoils, the slide shooting back in supertime, then forward again as all those edges cut into your flesh. Shoot a box of ammo, and your hand looks as though it’s been put through a meat grinder. You probably haven’t hit anything either, because the sights are tiny and the barrel short.

So the gun, like the man, is an illusion. Its reality is pointless: Bond never had to aim, had hands made of asbestos and never missed. He could have fired a staple gun and put Blofeld away.

Stephen Hunter is a Pulitzer Prize-winning former Washington Post critic and author. His upcoming novel, “The Third Bullet,” is out in January.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/james-bonds-ppk-gun-is-only-good-for-its-looks/2012/10/04/4892e07c-0e2b-11e2-bb5e-492c0d30bff6_story.html

Comments:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/james-bonds-ppk-gun-is-only-good-for-its-looks/2012/10/04/4892e07c-0e2b-11e2-bb5e-492c0d30bff6_allComments.html#comments
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
when the movie started i was pretty disappointed by him keeping his weak ass weapon. Then i saw him sneak into that shower with that chick he talked to for less than 5 minutes. (like a boss), Then not even blink when she got shot (like a boss) I concluded this man needs no weapons at all.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

when the movie started i was pretty disappointed by him keeping his weak ass weapon. Then i saw him sneak into that shower with that chick he talked to for less than 5 minutes. (like a boss), Then not even blink when she got shot (like a boss) I concluded this man needs no weapons at all.

Lol, that was pretty sweet.  At first he's all "I'm interested in you, you have an exotic and intriguing background.  Let's talk and stuff, oh and fuck."

Then he was all "Meh, that bitch is dead.  What bitch, I already forgot. Anyway, it's off to take this guy back to headquarters where he can implement his fiendishly complex plot to basically walk into a room and pull the trigger on his pistol and shoot my boss which he could have done with absolutely no plot and which dimwitted morons manage to do thousands of times a year."
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#10]
After posting in this thread I wrote an article on James Bond's movie guns. It turns out that there is a lot of info on the actual props used on various websites and the gun you "tink you see" isn't always the gun they used. (Hint: At various times the actual prop has been guns other than a PPK and both 7.65 and 9mm Kurz pistols have been used)

Here's the article with a nice BOTD type pic for the first image.

A look at the guns of James Bond for the Skyfall premiere

"With the new James Bond movie, “Skyfall,” in theaters Friday this is a good time to look behind the movie magic and compare the “reel guns” of Agent 007 to the real guns used in the films."
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Geoffrey Boothroyd made several recommendations, he thought a j-frame Smith would be best.

I have, by now, got rather fond of Mr. James Bond. I like most of the things about him, with the exception of his rather deplorable taste in firearms. In particular, I dislike a man who comes into contact with all sorts of formidable people using a .25 Beretta. This sort of gun is really a lady's gun, and not a really nice lady at that. If Mr. Bond has to use a light gun he would be better off with a .22 rim fire; the lead bullet would cause more shocking effect than the jacketed type of the .25.

May I suggest that Mr. Bond be armed with a revolver?

"May I suggest that Mr. Bond be armed with a revolver? This has many advantages for the type of shooting that he is called on to perform and I am certain that Mr. Leiter [ Bond's sometime associate] would agree with this recommendation. The Beretta will weigh, after it has been doctored, somewhere under 1 pound unloaded. If Mr. Bond gets himself an S & W .38 Special Centennial Airweight he will have a real man-stopper weighing only 17 ounces loaded. The gun is hammerless so that it can be drawn without catching in the clothing and has an overall length of 6� inches. Barrel length is 2 inches, but note that it is not 'sawn off.' No one who can buy his pistols in the States will go to the trouble of sawing off pistol barrels as they can be purchased with short 2-inch barrels from the manufacturers. In order to keep down the bulk the cylinder holds five cartridges, and these are standard .38 S & W Special. It is an extremely accurate cartridge and when fired from a 2-inch barrel has, in standard loading, a muzzle velocity of almost 700 ft./sec. and muzzle energy of around 200 ft./lbs. This is against Bond's .25 Beretta with muzzle velocity of 758 ft./sec. but only 67 ft./lbs. muzzle energy. So much for his personal gun. Now he must have a real man-stopper to carry in the car. For this purpose the S & W .357 Magnum has no equal except the .44 Magnum. With the .357, Bond can still use his S & W .38 Special cartridges, although not vice versa. The .357 Magnum can be obtained in barrel lengths as follows: 3� inches, 5 inches, 6 inches, 6� inches and 8? inches long. With a 6�-inch barrel and adjustable rear sights Bond could do some really effective shooting, getting with the .357 Magnum a muzzle velocity of about 1,300 ft./sec. and a muzzle energy of nearly 600 ft./lbs. Figures like these give an effective range of 300 yards, and it's very accurate, too—1-inch groups at 20 yards on a machine rest.

"With these two guns Bond would be able to cope with really quick-draw work and long-range effective shooting."

Now to gun harness, rigs or what have you. First of all, not a shoulder holster for general wear, please. I suggest that the little Centennial Airweight be carried in a 'Lightning' Berns-Martin Triple Draw holster. This type of holster holds the gun in by means of a spring and can be worn on the belt or as a shoulder holster. I have played about with various types of holster for quite a time now and this one is the best. Here are descriptions of how it works—as a belt holster and as a shoulder holster

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/06/may-i-suggest-that-mr-bond-be-armed.html
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top