BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Aren't tool cabinets usually excluded from their coupons?
View Quote
Yes they are, tried to use one and got rejected at the store by the cashier. Still bought it though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought this cart last month and paid $189.00.
It was well worth it.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/4/64031_W3.jpg
View Quote
I have the same one. It’s built like a brick shithouse. Locking drawers are a must have for me and of the store brands HF seems to be the only one offering them across their line.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
@WeimaranerDad

I did mine kinda like you are talking.

I'm a ex mechanic so I had my Matco box which is on the right end of my bench.

On the left end of my Matco box I took the handle off and made brackets that bolt where it went to hold up angle aluminum that is bolted to the bottom of the counter top.

The counter top I got from Ikea, it's 100% oak butcher block type not particle board veneer. It is held to the back wall with angle aluminum bolted to the bottom with nutserts and screwed to the wall. Link to the counter top (only one Ikea has that's solid every other one is particle board inside)
https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/hammarp-countertop-oak-solid-wood-60274964/

Got a Black Friday deal 2 years ago for the Husky box on the left end it was I think $189 or something? Took the casters off it and bolted 3/4" plywood on the bottom and sat it on the floor, bolted the counter top onto it. The Husky box came with a maple top I cut it and made the little space that the counter top was too short on the far left.

Got my Lee press mount bolted through the counter top and Husky box, same with the vise, and made a plate out of 6"x6"x1/2" steel plate bolted from underneath on the counter top and ground down the mounting bolts flush, then drilled and tapped it for my Dillon XL640 and painted it.

Total length of work bench including the Matco box is 16'.

Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
That's what 20% off coupons are for, maybe even a 25% off coupon for Labor Day this year?
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Icon toolboxes are showing up at HF now too.
View Quote
Bought a Icon 1/2" click torque wrench recently for $99.xx is a excellent tool for the money. Mucho better than the 9.99 Tq wrench.

Goes to 250 ft/lbs so I can actually accurately tq the lug nuts for the F-250 now.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have 3 of the 44 inch models.   Before they increased the price $100 they were by far the best deal anywhere and a huge value.   Now they are priced along with what you can get at Lowe’s or HD and in the same quality category.  Main reason I went to HF was the tool chest, haven’t been back since they raised the price.  Nick nack tools can be had for a little more at L or HD and I have a Lowe’s 45 seconds drive time from my house.
View Quote
They are thicker steel and have better casters than the Lowes/Craftsman boxes.
I'd say they are just as good as a Snapon box for a fraction of the price.

Wait until they go on sale. Sometimes they are on special with the inside track club and it may be worth joining to get the lower price (saved over $100 on my 72" box by doing that...the membership does NOT autorenew and is good for a year).

HF has really upped the quality on many items lately...the Earthquake impact wrenches and the new series of welders are items to look at.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, stupid is saying muh heavy gauge steel.  LOL

I did a comparison thread between the flimsy and tiny HF drawers compared to the thicker SnapOn, even showed the difference in twice as heavy slides compared to the kitchen drawer HF units.  It all boils down to some people want American quality they can pass on to their kids and others are broke cheap asses that love supporting communists
View Quote
You aren't wrong, and I won't argue against this. Nice things are nice. Lol. I also try to buy American when I can.

I could have purchased a nicer box but at the end of the day I couldn't justify literally 10x the price for a similar box off of a tool truck. Are the tool truck boxes nicer? Absolutely. Are they 10x nicer?  I'll let you know in a decade.

I wish that there was some middle ground.  I would spend a grand or two for a good non commie box, but 5 grand or more is a bit much for me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Watch the comparison video above and about the 11:40 mark he shows were both the HF and Snap On are made in China.
View Quote
You are wrong about Snap on boxes. They are made in Algona IA. Blue point is Snap on's budget line and mostly made overseas with very few tools in china. Most blue point is Taiwanese which is usually much much better quality than china.

I had a HF box. It was nice for the money. The finish sucks but the mechanics and gauge of steel are very good. I upgraded to a Snap On box earlier this year only because my tool lady made a stupid deal on a tool show box she ordered. 7800 box for 3k new then 300 in rebates off that. Snap On boxes are extremely nice but not the for the price they go for.

ETA: The new Masterforce Menards boxes are stupid nice. This year they did substantial quality upgrades to them. Although they are not that cheap. Very similar to MAC quality but way above the older masterforce which was on par with HF.

Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#9]
56" box here. Not sure why people have a problem with this.

The NAPA boxes seem to be good too.

Until you start spending Mac/Snap On money for incremental increases in quality the HF boxes are the best right now going for the price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
56" box here. Not sure why people have a problem with this.

The NAPA boxes seem to be good too.

Until you start spending Mac/Snap On money for incremental increases in quality the HF boxes are the best right now going for the price.
View Quote
I think the NAPA boxes are Homak Pro
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
HF and Masterforce  are similar and good quality. I went with Masterforce because it was on sale and I like the drawer release better. The HF only release on the end of the drawer, Masterforce the whole handle lifts up.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm using the Sam's club bench, along with the smaller roll around toolbox for my reloading bench.

I imbedded some 2040 aluminum in the top so I can easily mount and unmount different presses and tools.

Works great and is extremely strong.

This is an old photo when the garage was pretty messy.

Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A habor frieght thread on arfcom, all about Maga until its time to buy tools...
View Quote
I was looking at this Milwaukee "box" at Home Depot :

But then I opened a drawer and there was an inspection (QA/QC) sticker stuck to the drawer bottom.

The sticker said something like "Inspected By:

There is a dude on CL selling a Snap On box for $1,500.  It is blue...almost Dillon blue...but still blue.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You aren't wrong, and I won't argue against this. Nice things are nice. Lol. I also try to buy American when I can.

I could have purchased a nicer box but at the end of the day I couldn't justify literally 10x the price for a similar box off of a tool truck. Are the tool truck boxes nicer? Absolutely. Are they 10x nicer?  I'll let you know in a decade.

I wish that there was some middle ground.  I would spend a grand or two for a good non commie box, but 5 grand or more is a bit much for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a comparison thread between the flimsy and tiny HF drawers compared to the thicker SnapOn, even showed the difference in twice as heavy slides compared to the kitchen drawer HF units.  It all boils down to some people want American quality they can pass on to their kids and others are broke cheap asses that love supporting communists

A used Snap On or other name brand is better than that flimsy chinese crap any day of the week.  And very reasonably priced.

Don't forget Lista or vidmar
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think the NAPA boxes are Homak Pro
View Quote
I bought a Homak cart from NAPA that was easily comparable to Mac & Matco carts that were also in the shop. The price on them seems to be significantly higher now than when I bought mine, but still decent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#16]
HF boxes are legit.  I have a 44 bottom box built into my workbench at home and a 26" top box at work
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I bought a Homak cart from NAPA that was easily comparable to Mac & Matco carts that were also in the shop. The price on them seems to be significantly higher now than when I bought mine, but still decent.
View Quote
I'll have to check out the NAPA boxes this weekend.

Thanks for the intell.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll have to check out the NAPA boxes this weekend.

Thanks for the intell.
View Quote
FWIW, mine has over a decade and a half of daily wear & tear on it from being in a pro shop & a production enviroment. One of the drawer slides has recently started sticking due to wear, but I had that drawer severely overloaded for quite awhile. That cart has some serious miles on it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Shipping from China and not to mention out of three tool chest only one made it to your store without a huge fucking dent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL. iIf you call working on 757, 767, 777, 737 shade tree, I'm your man.
The USGENERAL Boxes are heavier guage steel than the boxes I see at lowes.
And they hold up well out here in the hangar rolling over grates and air hoses.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155838/2702B188-B8BD-4F2F-971D-A6634C8784D4_jpeg-1063721.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a difference between techs with a HF tool box and a Strap-On.

Shade tree guys use HF.
LOL. iIf you call working on 757, 767, 777, 737 shade tree, I'm your man.
The USGENERAL Boxes are heavier guage steel than the boxes I see at lowes.
And they hold up well out here in the hangar rolling over grates and air hoses.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/155838/2702B188-B8BD-4F2F-971D-A6634C8784D4_jpeg-1063721.JPG
Oh shit. Someone just got Pwned!
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Oh shit. Someone just got Pwned!
View Quote
Our main tool chest that is used 24hrs a day 6 days a week by a crew of 7 industrial electricians and millwrights doing maintenance in a factory is a US General. AKA Shadetree type stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@WeimaranerDad

I did mine kinda like you are talking.

I'm a ex mechanic so I had my Matco box which is on the right end of my bench.

On the left end of my Matco box I took the handle off and made brackets that bolt where it went to hold up angle aluminum that is bolted to the bottom of the counter top.

The counter top I got from Ikea, it's 100% oak butcher block type not particle board veneer. It is held to the back wall with angle aluminum bolted to the bottom with nutserts and screwed to the wall. Link to the counter top (only one Ikea has that's solid every other one is particle board inside)
https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/hammarp-countertop-oak-solid-wood-60274964/

Got a Black Friday deal 2 years ago for the Husky box on the left end it was I think $189 or something? Took the casters off it and bolted 3/4" plywood on the bottom and sat it on the floor, bolted the counter top onto it. The Husky box came with a maple top I cut it and made the little space that the counter top was too short on the far left.

Got my Lee press mount bolted through the counter top and Husky box, same with the vise, and made a plate out of 6"x6"x1/2" steel plate bolted from underneath on the counter top and ground down the mounting bolts flush, then drilled and tapped it for my Dillon XL640 and painted it.

Total length of work bench including the Matco box is 16'.

https://i.imgur.com/YFNzJbu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DdaqG6B.jpg
View Quote
@Doctor7474

Yep, that caught my eye the other day in the reloading subforum.

But I didn't dare mention it for fear of drifting the thread off topic.

:-)
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or, most of us aren't suckered into blowing a couple months salary because of a stereotype and a name on a tool.

So how big is your S-O tool bill?

Broke cheap ass?  LOL  Being smart with money is now considered being a 'broke cheap ass'....
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In before Muh $10000 SNapOn.
View Quote
Mine is a $10k MAC, but yeah....

It was also a tax writeoff..... Just like my new tractor. Business owners can justify a lot of "necessities."
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#25]
In for the Lista master race
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
They can’t get any cheaper.

I’ve always been a “Buy once, cry once” guy when it comes to work tools, it’s why I bought a $9500 Mac box a few years ago. With the construction quality and materials it’s the last tool box I’ll have to buy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are the boxes that Lista offer as good as their work benches?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Or, most of us aren't suckered into blowing a couple months salary because of a stereotype and a name on a tool.

Broke cheap ass?  LOL  Being smart with money is now considered being a 'broke cheap ass'....
View Quote
He likely has Yeti coolers as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Are the boxes that Lista offer as good as their work benches?
View Quote
Lista cabinets are exceptional, the amount of weight the drawers can take is ridiculous and the build quality is very very good. But you will pay for it!

I've outfitted my garage with Saber cabinets (http://www.sabercabinets.com/).  IMO they are the best bang for your buck. You get pretty close to Lista strength and quality, but the price is way more affordable.  If you wanted a rolling cabinet you could put casters on one of their shorter cabinets and call it good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Bought a HF chest this year, 48x28? It's the one that lists for $499, got for 399 on sale, it's a fantastic chest for the money. Think it has 13 drawers,  makes for great handgun storage and a work bench for my gun room. I was impressed with the quality of the chest and I have seen alot of snap on stuff.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:17:02 AM EDT
[#31]
HF tool boxes are cheap.
My MAC boxes are over 30 years old and still great. I preferred the MAC to the Snap-On at the time. The MAC had shorter drawers, with more drawers on a given size box. I worked out of them for a long time. Anyway, I have never seen the HF boxes loaded to capacity with tools. I have seen other cheap brands loaded to capacity. They were not doing well for long term professional use. The drawers would not slide well, the paint would chip, they would rust, the locks would fail. This was a long time before HF was around here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
HF tool boxes are cheap.
My MAC boxes are over 30 years old and still great. I preferred the MAC to the Snap-On at the time. The MAC had shorter drawers, with more drawers on a given size box. I worked out of them for a long time. Anyway, I have never seen the HF boxes loaded to capacity with tools. I have seen other cheap brands loaded to capacity. They were not doing well for long term professional use. The drawers would not slide well, the paint would chip, they would rust, the locks would fail. This was a long time before HF was around here.
View Quote
So you have no experience with HF chests but thought it was a good time to compare shitty other brands? I am failing to see the relevance.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:22:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I saw someone do that mod, they use the cheap or free magnet strips from.....HF

Quoted:

You could always mount a magnet to the back of any drawer that isn't staying closed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So you have no experience with HF chests but thought it was a good time to compare shitty other brands? I am failing to see the relevance.
View Quote
Cheap is cheap is cheap.
You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Harbor Freight has slowly stared making the transition from cheap as dirt junk tools, to more expensive stuff that's actually not half bad.  They sucked everyone in, and got their name out there with the 50% off everything coupons, free returns on anything at and time, 2 for 1, etc, etc.....and then over the last 10 years they have been getting rid of that stuff, and jacking up their prices.

Some of their better tools are almost as much as the name brand stuff.....which I think is a bad more for them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#36]
I bought a dented floor model Craftsman from Lowes at a discount (tiny dent on the side) and it's hella flimsy.  10-12 loaded AR maga make the drawer bottom out.

Craigslist can be a good place to find these at a decent price, I've discovered, as long as you scroll past all the Snap-On cabinets for sale at insane prices.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lista cabinets are exceptional, the amount of weight the drawers can take is ridiculous and the build quality is very very good. But you will pay for it!

I've outfitted my garage with Saber cabinets (http://www.sabercabinets.com/).  IMO they are the best bang for your buck. You get pretty close to Lista strength and quality, but the price is way more affordable.  If you wanted a rolling cabinet you could put casters on one of their shorter cabinets and call it good.
View Quote
For reference. You'll notice I use an old Husky roller parked under the countertop concealing a phase converter for the heavy machines.

Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you pocketbook>MAGA ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cheap is cheap is cheap.
You get what you pay for.
View Quote
Is the Mac/Snap On/Matco box 10x better than the HF?  If you get what you pay for....
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was thinking about buying two or three "tool cabinets" and joining them together, and then placing a real butcher block top across them to make a reloading bench.

So I checked out the Milwaukee brand, the Husky brand, Craftsman, then Harbor Freight, and the Menard's MasterForce brand.

The HF ones seem to be expensive:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190816_113335_jpg-1063606.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190816_113241_jpg-1063608.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/20190816_113955_jpg-1063613.JPG

There are some similarities between some of the tool cabinets that makes me think they are all made in the same Chinese or Taiwanese factory.

{{Laughs in Snap-On and MAC}}

Are the HF ones worth it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, if you buy smart with cash, and purchase used, you can end up with American made quality... but go ahead and do the mental gymnastics to justify your poor decision to yourself.

I have no tool bill, but I do purchase quality tools for cash.

You bought a cheaply made, barely functional junk box that also shows your love and support of Communists.  Thats fine if you want disposable, cheap garbage and have no pride in America.  You do you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
If people only knew
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is the Mac/Snap On/Matco box 10x better than the HF?  If you get what you pay for....
View Quote
Tool box quality can only be determined with long term professional use and abuse. Open and close the  drawers tens of thousands of times (when loaded to rated capacity), and then tell me how good it is.

Does anybody here actually wrench for a living, that has used the HF boxes for a long time?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Harbor Freight makes an exceptional quality rolling toolbox for a wholesale/box store box...

Really smooth roller bearing drawers.

VERY heavy gauge metal cabinet thickness.

Casters are great.

I think they are probably one of the best values period in this type of box.
This.
Agreed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I bought this "mechanics cart" and it rocks. Hands down better than my "real" old school craftsman boxes.
I would assume the "tool truck" brands are better, but by the amount of them for available used, I would have to wonder.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Again, if you buy smart with cash, and purchase used, you can end up with American made quality... but go ahead and do the mental gymnastics to justify your poor decision to yourself.

I have no tool bill, but I do purchase quality tools for cash.

You bought a cheaply made, barely functional junk box that also shows your love and support of Communists.  Thats fine if you want disposable, cheap garbage and have no pride in America.  You do you.
View Quote
lol, if you own any non-US made anything, you're a hypocrite.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

He likely has Yeti coolers as well.
View Quote
No, just some old Coleman, one is even the old metal sided model.  Funny if you buy American, and take care of it, how it lasts.  Hmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:47:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tool box quality can only be determined with long term professional use and abuse. Open and close the  drawers tens of thousands of times (when loaded to rated capacity), and then tell me how good it is.

Does anybody here actually wrench for a living, that has used the HF boxes for a long time?
View Quote
several have replied in this thread, including industrial electricians and aircraft mechanics.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got their shop light for my reloading bench, and I seriously could not be happier for the price. LED, bright white light, and weighs virtually nothing so it was easy to hang.

LINK
View Quote
Just put two up yesterday. $20 each. I certainly can't look directly at them...
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#50]
For those of you who aren't greasemonkeys, if you have any questions about the quality of harbor freight tools, look no further than the HF pass/fail thread over at garagejournal they're an offshoot of the HAMB (hookey ass message board), which is the internet mecca of gearheads.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top