Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Aircraft maintainers love them some harbor freight boxes. My little cabinet is about 6years old and other than some scratches performs 100% like new. I overloaded the crap out of it too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the Mac/Snap On/Matco box 10x better than the HF?  If you get what you pay for....
View Quote
Yes, probably more so.  I did a comparison thread complete with pictures awhile back.  But people who buy junk are often adverse to facts, and like to argue on their subjective feels.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

several have replied in this thread, including industrial electricians and aircraft mechanics.
View Quote
Most of the real aircraft mechanics I know have shadowed boxes, but I would not expect a novice to understand this.  Circle the wagons junk box owners!  LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, the nature of your question tells me you don't need Mac/SO/etc level durability.  If you needed that, you would know
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:00:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, probably more so.  I did a comparison thread complete with pictures awhile back.  But people who buy junk are often adverse to facts, and like to argue on their subjective feels.
View Quote
I own a Mac and a harbor freight box. Mac is thicker steel for sure but that's about all I like better. I like the harbor freight drawer locks (admittedly my Macs are worn out).
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most of the real aircraft mechanics I know have shadowed boxes, but I would not expect a novice to understand this.  Circle the wagons junk box owners!  LOL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

several have replied in this thread, including industrial electricians and aircraft mechanics.
you must only know guys who work on big aircraft?? I work on small stuff and have a "partly" shadowed box
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have not read the whole thing yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
My HF box would have to break 10x in my lifetime for it to compare with the price of snap on.

I like a good tool just as much as the next guy, but the call the HF box a junk box is just stupid and projects ones contempt that they wasted so much money on a box that holds tools.

If my box breaks and I buy a new one 8 times I'm still better off than if I bought a snap on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I own a Mac and a harbor freight box. Mac is thicker steel for sure but that's about all I like better. I like the harbor freight drawer locks (admittedly my Macs are worn out).
View Quote
Heresy!  Everyone knows Mac/Snap-On don't wear out!

For those saying their 40 year old boxes are heavier gauge steel...you all know higher strength steels are being used in nearly every industry now, right?

Example: When I started as an engineer (~2000) the principle material specification for wide flange beams was ASTM A36.  It is now ASTM A992, which has as 50 ksi yield.  For a given beam size/load/configuration the new steel is 1.5x stronger.

As a result, a smaller/lighter/less expensive beam can substituted (assuming deflection doesn't control the design).
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ScdsHmm.jpg

Only $200 a week for the rest of your natural life!
View Quote
It's been nearly 20 years, but when I worked auto body I bought a pretty nice setup from the Mac guy. Wasn't as big as the pic, but decent size, and definitely a decent price tag to go along with it. Paid on it for a few months months before the Mac guy disappeared. Turns out he had some shady practices and got caught for tax evasion. Never heard another word from anybody about any of the money any of us techs owed him, I'm guessing his paperwork was a bit wonky.

I also had a car that I stored at his place, he had a nice pole barn he rented out spots for car parking over the winter. I got that out of storage right before it all went down as that was the last time I seen him. We found out a couple months later when a new Mac tool guy contacted us to let us know and take over, but they had no record of anything so everyone was off the hook for their bill.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:18:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My HF box would have to break 10x in my lifetime for it to compare with the price of snap on.

I like a good tool just as much as the next guy, but the call the HF box a junk box is just stupid and projects ones contempt that they wasted so much money on a box that holds tools.

If my box breaks and I buy a new one 8 times I'm still better off than if I bought a snap on.
View Quote
Or if you saved twice the cost of a new Chinese box, you could have purchased a quality used American box.
That would not break.  And supports America, not communists.  Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or if you saved twice the cost of a new Chinese box, you could have purchased a quality used American box.
That would not break.  And supports America, not communists.  Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
View Quote
You posting from your made-in-america computer?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Heresy!  Everyone knows Mac/Snap-On don't wear out!

For those saying their 40 year old boxes are heavier gauge steel...you all know higher strength steels are being used in nearly every industry now, right?

Example: When I started as an engineer (~2000) the principle material specification for wide flange beams was ASTM A36.  It is now ASTM A992, which has as 50 ksi yield.  For a given beam size/load/configuration the new steel is 1.5x stronger.

As a result, a smaller/lighter/less expensive beam can substituted (assuming deflection doesn't control the design).
View Quote
Ahhh yes, an engineer.  Explains everything.  So the deflection pictures that wracked/bent the Harbor Freight drawer and did not budge the SnapOn drawer?  You know, real world factual side by side testing evidence I posted right here on Arf?

Just admit you prefer inferior, communist manufactured goods.  I understand how embarrassing this is.  Buh my new razor thin lightweight steel!  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you drive a Toyota since you like American products.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do try to keep up on your reading comprehension, we are discussing tool boxes ITT
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:28:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Honda, but I think you misunderstood.  BigPolska is the one with the hard on for snap on and everything else is crap.  And un-American.  And supporting commies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Look I own a Mac and a harbor freight box. Is the Mac better? Sure. Is it enough to make me spend full price on one? Not even close. The chances of breaking a harbor freight box are slim to none for me and I use it every day. Maybe if you had drawers full of super heavy stuff you could break it but I would bet for 85-95% of people the Harbor freight will be the last box they buy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doing audio, video, security, and automation we did not have room for monster boxes. 6 ft was usually the max. We could go as high as we liked, but that would cut down on bench top space.

Why do aircraft peeps call a drill a "drill motor", and a drill bit a "drill"?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Honda, but I think you misunderstood.  BigPolska is the one with the hard on for snap on and everything else is crap.  And un-American.  And supporting commies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, quote box messed up. I was being an ass too??
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Do try to keep up on your reading comprehension, we are discussing tool boxes ITT
View Quote
So supporting commies is fine, so long as it isn't toolboxes.  Got it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking for a nice 40ish inch wide top and bottom tool cabinet.  I've currently got an old Cornwell box, but it's wider than the space I want to put it.

Any recommendations?  So far I've looked at the Craftsman Pro and Kobalt options that Lowes had.  I'm open to spending more for better quality.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
10 times the price??? That Snap On dealer must have really not wanted to sell you a box.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Doing audio, video, security, and automation we did not have room for monster boxes. 6 ft was usually the max. We could go as high as we liked, but that would cut down on bench top space.

View Quote
Never heard of that lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Things cost what people will pay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

10 times the price??? That Snap On dealer must have really not wanted to sell you a box.
View Quote
This snap on box is listed at $6900.  I just paid $650 for this HF 56" box. They aren't exactly the same dimensions, but are close.

Street price looks like the snap on is about 3-4k used.

So maybe only 6x more?  Is it 6x as good?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before Muh $10000 SNapOn.
View Quote
 $10,000 won't even get you into a top-of-the-line Snap-on box anymore.

The Harbor Freight tool boxes are a great deal. Of course they're not Snap-on quality, but for the money you cannot beat them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
How is buying a used SO box supporting the US economy? SO already got paid. Buying a new HF box stimulates the economy more than buying used US products.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
My boss calls them drill motors. Fucking annoying.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So supporting commies is fine, so long as it isn't toolboxes.  Got it.  
View Quote
So, can't form a decent argument on the actual topic, so you obfuscate by doubling down.  I would have expected much better from an "engineer".

So, I will do the work for you.  Demonstrate to the class how you have a choice between a completely American sourced and manufactured device, and the foreign product.  Remember, not one foreign sourced component, not a single resistor or LED in your domestic example...

Because, if you even attempted to keep up with this thread, (but you are an "engineer" so I am really giving you a huge benefit of the doubt) you will see our discussion is the decision to purchase an inferior, foreign made product when a quality, domestic manufactured option is readily available.  100% American made.

Much like the previous thread, facts and photographic evidence will have no effect on your poor arguments and feels.  Sigh.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How is buying a used SO box supporting the US economy? SO already got paid. Buying a new HF box stimulates the economy more than buying used US products.
View Quote
Fuck we are doomed
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
@BigPolska
What is a real acft mechanic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#32]
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fuck we are doomed
View Quote

Whatever you say, hoss.

I bought a used SO ratchet off a guy I know. Was I stimulating our economy? No. I was padding his pocketbook. Buying a HF box keeps an American owned business going and keeps people working in their stores. The people that work at HF are members of your community are they not? They need jobs, do they not?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Its expensive for HF,but not expensive in the world of decent toolboxes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For reference. You'll notice I use an old Husky roller parked under the countertop concealing a phase converter for the heavy machines.

https://i.imgur.com/B6FkSFs.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lista cabinets are exceptional, the amount of weight the drawers can take is ridiculous and the build quality is very very good. But you will pay for it!

I've outfitted my garage with Saber cabinets (http://www.sabercabinets.com/).  IMO they are the best bang for your buck. You get pretty close to Lista strength and quality, but the price is way more affordable.  If you wanted a rolling cabinet you could put casters on one of their shorter cabinets and call it good.
For reference. You'll notice I use an old Husky roller parked under the countertop concealing a phase converter for the heavy machines.

https://i.imgur.com/B6FkSFs.jpg
I have the mid and top cabinets to match those.  I hope for your sake that the ones you have were made better than mine, which were total junk.  Mine are bolted to my dead uncle's Kennedy non-ball bearing slide bottom, and the bottom is a much, much better cabinet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do you even coupon bro?

I have the Harbor Freight one and its nice. I looked at the Craftsman and liked it a lot too but it was more. However the Craftsman I looked at in Lowes was made in USA.
View Quote
Look closer..Unless things have changed it says "Assembled in the USA".

The "Assembled in" is kinda small print though
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Plus, if you are a mechanic, at some point you can repair a box with parts off of the previous one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I have the mid and top cabinets to match those.  I hope for your sake that the ones you have were made better than mine, which were total junk.  Mine are bolted to my dead uncle's Kennedy non-ball bearing slide bottom, and the bottom is a much, much better cabinet.
View Quote
mine have served me well.  To be honest though, i did reinforce these cabinets to increase their strength. Since they hang on the wall, I bolted a 4x4 to the floor along the wall to give the cabinets something to 'stand' on. I also added wood reinforcement to the bottom shelves.  I store raw steel in one of my cabinets, easily over their rated weight, the only problem I've had is the hooks holding the shelves up with fail at some point, but I suspect that's by design so you don't damge the shelf itself.  I've been very happy with mine
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@BigPolska
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@BigPolska
Not me apparently.

Also most aircraft mechanics I know prefer "maintainer" or "technician."
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not me apparently.

Also most aircraft mechanics I know prefer "maintainer" or "technician."
View Quote
Yeah, they use AMT here and I don't care for it. I'd rather be an ACFT mechanic.
Does anyone know what qualifies one to be a real aircraft mechanic?

@BigPolska
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Just in case...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This snap on box is listed at $6900.  I just paid $650 for this HF 56" box. They aren't exactly the same dimensions, but are close.

Street price looks like the snap on is about 3-4k used.

So maybe only 6x more?  Is it 6x as good?
View Quote
I see Snappy has several series now.
Too much $$ for me. My last MAC box purchase was in the late 80's.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Whatever you say, hoss.

I bought a used SO ratchet off a guy I know. Was I stimulating our economy? No. I was padding his pocketbook. Buying a HF box keeps an American owned business going and keeps people working in their stores. The people that work at HF are members of your community are they not? They need jobs, do they not?
View Quote
Perfect illustration, thank you.

Minimum wage service jobs at harbor freight is what made American great!  Fuck American manufacturers and higher wage jobs crafting quality products!

Like I said, we are doomed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Plus, if you are a mechanic, at some point you can repair a box with parts off of the previous one.
View Quote
Or, just get something decent the first time?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah, they use AMT here and I don't care for it. I'd rather be an ACFT mechanic.
View Quote
At one time it was AP&P (airframe and power plant)
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight makes an exceptional quality rolling toolbox for a wholesale/box store box...

Really smooth roller bearing drawers.

VERY heavy gauge metal cabinet thickness.

Casters are great.

I think they are probably one of the best values period in this type of box.
View Quote
This sums it up nicely.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still A&P, I'm an A&P with an IA. Still referred to as a mechanic. Every other country in the world it's  aircraft maintenance engineer. Probably because they shadow their snap on boxes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#48]
im planning on getting several of the harbor freight boxes in the near future. love those things.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I think that white one will be purchased for my basement soon
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm asking @BigPolska

Quoted:

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top