User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no idea what you are talking about.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4769/76P76o.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because they "Compare to Mac, Snap-On, etc".  

HF has evaluated the market and come to the conclusion that they can have a higher profit margin than what they used to have with the same product.
View Quote
Not quite. They are constantly improving quality but prices are going up. I have 2 snap on boxes, craftsman, Torin cart. The HF boxes are good to go, and they have been getting better as they improve them. The boxes they had 10 years ago are much different then now. They are actually competing for a market share with professional markets.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
@bigpolska ,Can we get a link to the HF/SO comparison thread?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Harbor Freight makes an exceptional quality rolling toolbox for a wholesale/box store box...

Really smooth roller bearing drawers.

VERY heavy gauge metal cabinet thickness.

Casters are great.

I think they are probably one of the best values period in this type of box.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
They think they are the same quality as the top brands, which they are not. Harbor Freight is good for tools you don't care about or if you can't afford good tools and need to get tools to get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
What blows my mind:  pawnshop has one that is new.  for $250.  firm.  + tax.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They think they are the same quality as the top brands, which they are not. Harbor Freight is good for tools you don't care about or if you can't afford good tools and need to get tools to get the job done.
View Quote
I don't think this is so.  If they thought their product was the same quality at top brands, wouldn't they be in the same price bracket?

No one is saying HF is as good as Snap-on.  They're 90% as good at 1/10 the price though.  That makes them a real value.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, can't form a decent argument on the actual topic, so you obfuscate by doubling down.  I would have expected much better from an "engineer".

So, I will do the work for you.  Demonstrate to the class how you have a choice between a completely American sourced and manufactured device, and the foreign product.  Remember, not one foreign sourced component, not a single resistor or LED in your domestic example...

Because, if you even attempted to keep up with this thread, (but you are an "engineer" so I am really giving you a huge benefit of the doubt) you will see our discussion is the decision to purchase an inferior, foreign made product when a quality, domestic manufactured option is readily available.  100% American made.

Much like the previous thread, facts and photographic evidence will have no effect on your poor arguments and feels.  Sigh.
View Quote
Bad news: Better get rid of your snap-on stuff.  Their drawer dividers are Chinese sourced.

Edit:

and casters
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]
To answer OP's question, they hired some Snap-on Engineers away from Kenosha.  Have to pay for that extra overhead somehow.

Now, as far as sheet metal goes, it all comes down to the gauge, number of folds, and welds.  That  determines how rigid the box will be and what type of repetitive stress it can handle.  After the raw sheet metal comes the finishing process. The cleaning system and prep before paint, followed by the actual paint (powder) itself.  Not all cleaning, pre-treatment and powders are created equal.  Then we move on to purchased components like slides, handles and casters.  These items should be self explanatory to anyone that uses tools for a living.  Break every step of the process down from coil stock to your garage and you will see why there is a difference between the box store and tool truck boxes.

The debate to justify the extra cost comes down to your personal opinion.  Nobody needs anything better than a Casio G-Shock to tell time, but Rolex isn't going out of business anytime soon.  Deals can be had on the high end boxes with some patience and cash in hand.  You are still going to pay more, it's your choice, we live in a great country that allows us to argue about little shit like this.

Disclaimer:  I have a tool addiction problem, my wife only allows it because she hasn't had to call a repair guy or a mechanic in the 20+ years we have been married.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@bigpolska ,Can we get a link to the HF/SO comparison thread?
View Quote
Quoted:

No one is saying HF is as good as Snap-on.  They're 90% as good at 1/10 the price though.  That makes them a real value.
View Quote
90%?  Damn, what are the tolerances on that feelz SWAG, +/- 89%?  

Pics half way down
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not me apparently.

Also most aircraft mechanics I know prefer "maintainer" or "technician."
View Quote
Mechanics fix things. Technicians change parts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why would you want a reloading bench on castors?  Wouldn't you want one that Doesn't wiggle or move?
View Quote
Load them up with projectiles in the bottom drawer and all your stuff in the other drawers ... with all that weight/mass, you’re going to have a hell of a time just trying to willfully move it.

Trust me, if the frame is solid, there is no wiggling

Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have no idea what you are talking about.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4769/76P76o.jpg
View Quote
Sweet!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I stopped by a Napa auto parts store today to look at their catalog.

They can order in Homak Pro boxes, but nothing exactly like what I was looking for.

So the guy at Napa got online for me and found this:

Attachment Attached File

Nope!

Too rich for my blood.

Especially if I am buying 3 of them.

So I stopped by HF again.

Looks like I will be back there tomorrow with my truck.

Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Load them up with projectiles in the bottom drawer and all your stuff in the other drawers ... with all that weight/mass, you’re going to have a hell of a time just trying to willfully move it.

Trust me, if the frame is solid, there is no wiggling

.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/105468/image-312603.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/105468/CDE2B31D-284B-4258-BA53-7E20834C7C9E-598440.jpg
View Quote
Also very nice!
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

90%?  Damn, what are the tolerances on that feelz SWAG, +/- 89%?  

Pics half way down
View Quote
Thanks for the link.

I got curious after I saw your measurements of the slides so I busted out my calipers (I just got disappointed by them. Dillon precision branded.  I didn't realize they were made in China) and pulled a drawer out of my HF box in my service truck. Attachment Attached File
 while it isn't the .077" of the snap on, it's better than the slide in the box that you have(.028"). This is a series 2 box, so maybe that was one of the improvements that they made.

Here is a pic of the top drawer.Attachment Attached File
 It's a shit show because it's in a truck. I need to find some good magnetic socket rails that will hold everything in place.  I have to reorganize most of the bigger sockets every time I get to a new job. Lol. The drawer isn't exactly empty and it still slides the same as any of the others.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
His measurement technique is kinda biased.  He caught just the fillet/edge of the HF slide, while capturing the fattest part of the SO slide, including the rail stiffening rib.

His precision speed square and buckets are awesome too.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

Here is a pic of the top drawer.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1179_JPG-1064833.JPG  It's a shit show because it's in a truck. I need to find some good magnetic socket rails that will hold everything in place.  I have to reorganize most of the bigger sockets every time I get to a new job. Lol. The drawer isn't exactly empty and it still slides the same as any of the others.
View Quote
@DFARM

I really, really like these for mobile use.  I don't run service anymore, but These kick ass for throw around use
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
His measurement technique is kinda biased.  He caught just the fillet/edge of the HF slide, while capturing the fattest part of the SO slide, including the rail stiffening rib.

His precision speed square and buckets are awesome too.  
View Quote
It wouldn't matter if I threw them on a surface plate and broke out the height gauge.  You are all excuses and sorry justifications.  If you want to support communists, have fun.  I'll stick with MAGA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@DFARM

I really, really like these for mobile use.  I don't run service anymore, but These kick ass for throw around use
View Quote
Quoted:

It wouldn't matter if I threw them on a surface plate and broke out the height gauge.  You are all excuses and sorry justifications.  If you want to support communists, have fun.  I'll stick with MAGA.
View Quote
Pretty sure those Montezuma boxes are made in China now. At least the one I bought was according to the manual that came with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@DFARM

View Quote
Those look pretty legit.

Do the socket organizers come out?  I kinda like being able to grab the whole rail of whatever sockets I need to use and throw it in a bag because sometimes I don't get to have my truck and the broken machine next to each other. Lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Those look pretty legit.

Do the socket organizers come out?  I kinda like being able to grab the whole rail of whatever sockets I need to use and throw it in a bag because sometimes I don't get to have my truck and the broken machine next to each other. Lol
View Quote
I hear that, I always carried an old carpenters metal tool tray to load up.  The pegs are (were) welded so they were captured with the lid closed.  Still have the tray, wish I would have kept the box.  Sounds like they may have sold out?  Used to be good ol Kansas made
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, your maga box with commie parts?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@DFARM

View Quote
Why are you pimping commie tool boxes?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lol, your maga box with commie parts?
View Quote
None in my KRLs.  Sorry your girl lost... but you do act a lot like her.  Have fun with your junk, Red
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:23:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Aren't tool cabinets usually excluded from their coupons?
View Quote
Yes. But they’re almost always running cabinet specific coupons or deals. I’d hold off for a week or two to see if they run any specials over the holiday weekend.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the 56" tool chest. It it built like a tank, and smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.

I got curious after I saw your measurements of the slides so I busted out my calipers (I just got disappointed by them. Dillon precision branded.  I didn't realize they were made in China) and pulled a drawer out of my HF box in my service truck. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1177_JPG-1064825.JPG  while it isn't the .077" of the snap on, it's better than the slide in the box that you have(.028"). This is a series 2 box, so maybe that was one of the improvements that they made.

Here is a pic of the top drawer.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/78442/KIMG1179_JPG-1064833.JPG  It's a shit show because it's in a truck. I need to find some good magnetic socket rails that will hold everything in place.  I have to reorganize most of the bigger sockets every time I get to a new job. Lol. The drawer isn't exactly empty and it still slides the same as any of the others.
View Quote
HF just put out magnetic rails.

That should get at least one guy in this thread fuming.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Icon Toolbox now on display at select Harbor Freight(s)

First look at the Icon stuff. FREE delivery. Lifetime warranty. I heard they are going to offer same day from the store, which means better then tool truck.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top