Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
So if we invade Jamaica they'll have dreadlocks?

Since page 2 is mine, FBHO and FATF, both in the ass
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I always figured it was a way for them to look different from "regular" combat troops.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The term is relaxed grooming standards.  The SF ODA or SF Company Comander normally issues the authorization.  As part of TF Dagger my Team was instructed to grow beards to blend in with the NA we were supporting.  At the time we were wearing man Jammie's and driving Hi Lux's.

I personally didn't care for wearing a beard, it get filthy and collects dust.  But, that wasn't my call to make so I sported one along with all the other cats in my ODA.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I heard that the Navy has begun issuing beards and personal publicists to each SEAL the day they graduate BUDS.

I'm surprised that they're not opposed to the beards on account of the unsightly tan lines they can cause.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.
View Quote

My last two trips with CJSOTF/SOJTF the teams that did not have a partnership mission on an austere post did not get relaxed grooming standards.  Navy SEALs working at the AOB could not grow beards.  DF task forces were required to shave, primarily because the DF Afghan forces like the Commandos were required to.  Ranger TFs always shaved, no matter what, its a Ranger thing I guess.

Even then, if you returned to a larger base you had three days before you had to shave.  Always had to arrive in military boots and wear either "tactical casual" civvies or issued military uniform worn correctly.  When SOF units are not under relaxed grooming they are some of the biggest sticklers for regulation.  Thats one of the reason their patagonias dont come with nametape velcro so they can just avoid the issue completely without violating policies.

The relaxed grroming standard is not just about beards, it is allowing a team the freedom to choose their uniform and appearance to meet their mission.  Footwear, headgear, everything.  Last deployment I spent a significant amount of time in BDUs because our Afghan partners wore them.  

Its also about living in austerity.  I spent 4 months on a VSP where we legitimately ran out of food and water regularly.   I lived with an infantry platoon in 2010 where we were rationed 3 .5L water bottles a day and the guys were wxpected to shave every other day.  Most absurd thing I have ever seen....of course we didnt shave and we shared our saved water with them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That "beard  negates gasmask"  bullshit needs to stop.
View Quote

I did a promask fit test with a full beard and got a positive seal.

Wasnt this big then though.  Most often relaxed grooming comes with a stipulation like "beards will be worn maximum length of 1"" or something like that.  At the time of this pic I didnt fall under a policy like that.

If for some reason I had to work a chem round I had AA battery powered clippers to give myself a 30 second mask trim.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Charlie don't pop no gas.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Special snowflakes and all that...
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The one SEAL I met in Cody , WY was wearing Trop Khakis and was clean shaven, He looked like every other Petty Officer except for the crossed pistols device.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
When SOF units are not under relaxed grooming they are some of the biggest sticklers for regulation.  Thats one of the reason their patagonias dont come with nametape velcro so they can just avoid the issue completely without violating policies.
View Quote

Granted, I was just a commo support puke, by my experience was just the opposite.

Deployed, not even close. Non standard boots, sterile uniforms that had pockets sewn on the sleeves, tucked into pants, rigger belts, velcro, non standard body armor, helmets, and so on. Even deployed on a big Army FOB, we got away with allot... Non standard boots, didn't have to carry a weapon, etc.

"Garrison", even less.... Our Battalion issued physical training uniform was even listed in the SOP as authorized for wear.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.
View Quote

There is some truth to this but at the same time if you show up with a baby face they will think you are young with no power. Of course over time you can prove them wrong but initially small things matter. It's the same all over the world.  Everything is dependent on your area and the experience that area has had with Ameicans. To outlaw it across the board is taking the freedom to make mission essential decisions from those on the ground away.

The problem is everyone now has a hard on for beards so tards who truly have no need still want one. People who will never be out of a standard uniform think it's necessary to have a beard. There are also other reasons besides rapport. Sometimes some people need that split second of "cover" by looking like a local in dress and facial hair to get out of an area.

I would also say conventional forces rarely conduct FID. Most have never heard or know what an IDAD is. Conventional guys generally do SFA.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Granted, I was just a commo support puke, by my experience was just the opposite.

Deployed, not even close. Non standard boots, sterile uniforms that had pockets sewn on the sleeves, tucked into pants, rigger belts, velcro, non standard body armor, helmets, and so on. Even deployed on a big Army FOB, we got away with allot... Non standard boots, didn't have to carry a weapon, etc.

"Garrison", even less.... Our Battalion issued physical training uniform was even listed in the SOP as authorized for wear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When SOF units are not under relaxed grooming they are some of the biggest sticklers for regulation.  Thats one of the reason their patagonias dont come with nametape velcro so they can just avoid the issue completely without violating policies.

Even regular army guys wear BN issued PTs.

If you walk around GRP in a fucked up uniform you will get hemmed up.

Deployed is deployed and mission dictates that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't believe in it.

Everything about you and your person should be for one purpose and that's to fight.

However, I do understand their argument that beards are respected in the Afghanistan and a cultural issue they try to conform with, but it would never be for me.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The beard serves as a bib to keep the hair gel from dripping on their fatigues.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of it is individual SOP of whoever is running your region.

If you are at a large post and not in transition the non standard boots were a big deal for the past few years, and that went for 4 SF groups running the SOTFs and two SEAL AOBs.   My conventional deployments before that I never needed to switch my boots ever, just wore hiking boots all the time.

In garrison, the biggest barometer of standards is to walk into an SF chowhall fucked up and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't believe in it.

Everything about you and your person should be for one purpose and that's to fight.

However, I do understand their argument that beards are respected in the Afghanistan and a cultural issue they try to conform with, but it would never be for me.

View Quote

how would a beard interfere with fighting ability? Wasting time, energy, and water on a shave does nothing to make someone more combat ready.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The problem is everyone now has a hard on for beards so tards who truly have no need still want one. People who will never be out of a standard uniform think it's necessary to have a beard. There are also other reasons besides rapport. Sometimes some people need that split second of "cover" by looking like a local in dress and facial hair to get out of an area.

I would also say conventional forces don't conduct FID. Most have never heard or know what an IDAD is. Conventional guys do SFA.
View Quote

Last two trips I wore a beard only because im not going to be the odd man in the movement.  I am support, but I go out on damn near every mission, so I match who I am with.  I did have my own Afghans and my own training mission as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The term is relaxed grooming standards.  The SF ODA or SF Company Comander normally issues the authorization.  As part of TF Dagger my Team was instructed to grow beards to blend in with the NA we were supporting.  At the time we were wearing man Jammie's and driving Hi Lux's.

I personally didn't care for wearing a beard, it get filthy and collects dust.  But, that wasn't my call to make so I sported one along with all the other cats in my ODA.
View Quote

This is not new in the SF community, when I was involved in Just Cause back in the 80's, as well as other places subsequent to that, we are given very specific instructions on what the grooming standards as well as clothing to be worn are for each area of operation and mission.  There is a fair amount of cultural training and prep of SFOC folks prior to insertion into any area. When you are a group of 12 folks surrounded by civilians and those who wish you harm, you try to blend in and not offend anyone. I was on a mission in Thailand in the late 90's when an entire company of SF soldiers got kicked out of the country for getting drunk and walking down the street propositioning the local ladies.   The only reason that the SF stand out in Iraq and the Stan is the fact that most of them were co-located with Big Army units that get a knot in their panties due to the grooming standards.  Most of the time SF folks look like heavily armed vagrants.

Those in the SF community who disregard grooming and cultural standards for their missions soon find themselves outside that community. I had no problem jacking my soldiers up either way. I didn't make the rules, I just made damn sure they were followed.

By the way, the modified uniform and appearance started in RVN when they wore sterile uniforms without name, rank or patches.  It has been a thorn in the side of the Big Army folks since I joined back in 1970.  

SGM Pierce (RET) 18z

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#21]
their beards are so fierce, no poisonous gas would ever get near it thus defeating the need for a gas mask.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]

are these pricks carrying axes and wearing leather aprons?? who are they? the decapitation detail?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably because they don't have this guy as part of their unit.

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

are these pricks carrying axes and wearing leather aprons?? who are they? the decapitation detail?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If I had to guess I would say they are the equivalent to the English Pioneer Sergeant
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

At camp Pendleton they put you into a little room and everyone backed up against the wall. They lit something that had smoke and it it soon filled the room.

When you had to take your mask off it burned your throat, torched your eyes and made your nose piss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the Marine Corps if you have a shadow you get bent.

I was always told the reason we shaved was for the gas mask. After going through the CS chamber I believed it. When they told us to take the mask off and take a breath... Fuck that hurt.

SEAL's don't need gas masks? It seems every movie every SEAL has a beard. Do they chew CS gas like bubble gum?

I've never met a SEAL so that's why I ask.
At Great Lakes where I went to boot I remember the the gas shack, I was fine until they said over that little speaker, "remove your masks"  I followed the instructions to the letter, I never touched my eyes or rubbed them, I breathed normal as I could, no choking, no burning really to speak of either, eyes watering like crazy but that was about it.

At camp Pendleton they put you into a little room and everyone backed up against the wall. They lit something that had smoke and it it soon filled the room.

When you had to take your mask off it burned your throat, torched your eyes and made your nose piss.

I get the added effect of sheer panic from feeling like I can't breathe and it's all I can do to keep from shredding anything in reach.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

French Foreign Legions Sappers.   Go ahead and make fun of them to their faces, just make sure someone takes video.  From a safe distance.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Grooming standards are signs of discipline, and professionalism.

With that in mind your question is a no-brainer.
View Quote

Arbitrary standards.   I don't see many jobs outside of the military that have those same standards, yet they maintain professionalism.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Because Chuck Norris had one first.

Saint Peter
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are simply a sign of control. The no beards concept for the navy was only brought into play in the 80's to try and kick the image of a bunch of drunks always fighting and banging hookers. You know what? They still fight and bang hookers. It doesn't offer anything to good order or discipline. The english sailors I worked with that had full beards were generally far more professional than the american's I served with.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah but they don't even do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Arbitrary standards.   I don't see many jobs outside of the military that have those same standards, yet they maintain professionalism.

I would argue that a lot of our perceived professionalism in the military is a facade as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#33]
ARF.com you disappoint me...

Clearly the answer

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I had to guess I would say they are the equivalent to the English Pioneer Sergeant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kepi blanc
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Gas masks are for pussies.
View Quote

How about scuba masks and rebreathers?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Gas masks are dumb, I don't even know why the military trains with or issues them.  I couldn't wear one at different times during the 20 years I was in due to asthma  and breathing issues, but was still issued one.
View Quote

Yeah, fuck a bunch of that gas mask shit.

Seriously, we used to PT in gas masks, how is a person that can't PT in a gas mask even deployable?

The second we stop training for it, the most powerful military in the world becomes vulnerable to the whims of anyone that has a chemistry major on their side.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have heard that quite a bit, but zero first hand experience with it.  It makes sense, as they train for very specific missions, and every day grunt shit probably isn't one of them.  When basically any Army or Marine SF type person learned to be a grunt before they learned anything else.

Don't SEALs often roll with Rangers for that reason?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Yep.  The locals thing is BS.

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.

I have a generally low option of the infantry skills of your average Navy SEAL. This is primarily because they do not draw from line infantry units.

I have heard that quite a bit, but zero first hand experience with it.  It makes sense, as they train for very specific missions, and every day grunt shit probably isn't one of them.  When basically any Army or Marine SF type person learned to be a grunt before they learned anything else.

Don't SEALs often roll with Rangers for that reason?

Seals are exclusively rescued by rangers for that reason.

Even if the "beard for rapport" thing WASNT bullshit (which it is) seals don't actually do anything with locals except be in the same place as them for extremely short periods of time.

The actual reason they supposedly do it is to protect persec. If you've ever been Facebook friends with a navy seal or been within shouting distance of a drunk one you know they don't do persec.

Or opsec.
Of infosec.
Or even perimeter sec.

And as it turns out they don't do OPORDs either.

Or pre mission briefs.

They do it the same reason they do everything else, because TDY pay and because they live and breathe Hollywood.

Disclaimer: doesn't (probably) apply to ST6. I've never had to pleasure. Applies to all other teams.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:26:16 PM EDT
[#38]
SEALs do VSO now too, just like SF and MARSOC.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would argue that a lot of our perceived professionalism in the military is a facade as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice that they do something other than tie shit up and fuck up raids and leave their fuck ups for other people to deal with.

Did they at least stop deploying their stupid boat people to get rack upgrades?
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Its done as a way to distinguish them. "Cool guys" that's fine by me but the other explanations are bs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol

On paper they do. I imagine SF and MARSOC conduct themselves differently in that role.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Those are sappers and combat engineers with a horrific historical loss rate in combat. They were allowed beards because they were not expected to live long. Now it is tradition, just like the leather apron and axe.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This. Its done as a way to distinguish them. "Cool guys" that's fine by me but the other explanations are bs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Pics aren't loading
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

lol

On paper they do. I imagine SF and MARSOC conduct themselves differently in that role.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

I worked for SEALs my last couple months of my last trip.  While I was not impressed in the least, and did not enjoy my time there very much, they did literally fall into established VSP/DSP sites as direct replacements for ODAs and MARSOC.  CJSOTF was a literal toss up with almost everyone pulling the same taskings based on location.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:42:56 PM EDT
[#47]
I interact with different teams two or three times a year when they come up to train.  None of them have any facial hair.

Good dudes too, BTW.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have a generally low option of the infantry skills of your average Navy SEAL. This is primarily because they do not draw from line infantry units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  The locals thing is BS.

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.

Please define what a "Line infantry unit" would be in the Navy?
Speaking solely as a guy that joined to be a SEAL, (Didn't make it, but then, not all do). SEAL'S are the only Special Operations Group that I know of that you can apply for in boot camp or even prior to enlistment.  They are not an infantryman they are SF. You wash out you go back to scrapping barnacles off of submarines (ask me how I know that one....) I have been out for 17 years and away from Coronado for 27 years... I have no clue why they do what they do, all my friends except 1 that made it are retired....
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#49]
because fuck it

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Army has 18X Special Forces contracts for initial entry recruits. Also have ranger battalion contracts too.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top