Quoted:

Not quite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.

This. Its done as a way to distinguish them. "Cool guys" that's fine by me but the other explanations are bs.

Not quite.

That is why after 5 years of conventional forces attempting FID, I was unable to drive from Bagdad International Airport to FOB Falcon in the daylight in 2007.  I had to fly in at night in a helo, that is when I realized that the big army had dropped it's dick in the dirt like it always does trying to win over the locals.

The butthurt in here from the straight legs is amazing, but not unexpected.  I have heard that shit since the 70's.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#2]
SEALs are hipsters and hipsters have beards.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
In regards to the cultural aspect of beards, yes it does make a difference on first impressions.  I found this to be true in Afghanistan and here in Saudi Arabia.  It's not as significant in Saudi as in Afghanistan but there is a certain amount of deference given on first time interactions.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Army has 18X Special Forces contracts for initial entry recruits. Also have ranger battalion contracts too.
View Quote

And that's why I don't speak about what Army does, I have no clue. 10 years Navy.  Last 4 being a Corps man attached to a Marine Airstation.... I know jack shit about the real Military.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I worked for SEALs my last couple months of my last trip.  While I was not impressed in the least, and did not enjoy my time there very much, they did literally fall into established VSP/DSP sites as direct replacements for ODAs and MARSOC.  CJSOTF was a literal toss up with almost everyone pulling the same taskings based on location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SEALs do VSO now too, just like SF and MARSOC.

lol

On paper they do. I imagine SF and MARSOC conduct themselves differently in that role.

I worked for SEALs my last couple months of my last trip.  While I was not impressed in the least, and did not enjoy my time there very much, they did literally fall into established VSP/DSP sites as direct replacements for ODAs and MARSOC.  CJSOTF was a literal toss up with almost everyone pulling the same taskings based on location.

I was just throwing a jab at SEALs conducting VSO and how it falls outside their capability or specialty.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
They want to look like me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That is why after 5 years of conventional forces attempting FID, I was unable to drive from Bagdad International Airport to FOB Falcon in the daylight in 2007.  I had to fly in at night in a helo, that is when I realized that the big army had dropped it's dick in the dirt like it always does trying to win over the locals.

The butthurt in here from the straight legs is amazing, but not unexpected.  I have heard that shit since the 70's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.

This. Its done as a way to distinguish them. "Cool guys" that's fine by me but the other explanations are bs.

Not quite.

It's still alive and well, SGM.

It's to the point that relaxed grooming has to be blessed off by the GRP CO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, fuck a bunch of that gas mask shit.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/British_55th_Division_gas_casualties_10_April_1918.jpg

Seriously, we used to PT in gas masks, how is a person that can't PT in a gas mask even deployable?

The second we stop training for it, the most powerful military in the world becomes vulnerable to the whims of anyone that has a chemistry major on their side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas masks are dumb, I don't even know why the military trains with or issues them.  I couldn't wear one at different times during the 20 years I was in due to asthma  and breathing issues, but was still issued one.

Yeah, fuck a bunch of that gas mask shit.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dc/British_55th_Division_gas_casualties_10_April_1918.jpg

Seriously, we used to PT in gas masks, how is a person that can't PT in a gas mask even deployable?

The second we stop training for it, the most powerful military in the world becomes vulnerable to the whims of anyone that has a chemistry major on their side.

Clearly he doesn't know about blister agent, Sarin or VX and how horrible that shit is
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:29:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just want to know why they have apostrophes.
View Quote

Denotes ownership of the beard.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Chuck Fucking Norris, dude.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
marines do a lot of shit for ritual, conformity, shared-sacrifice, discipline etc. reasons that simply aren't required in specops. Those guys don't need that shit, they are no shit professional class warriors and are generally self-disciplined/motivated. I was a regular old Marine 0311 so I did a lot of the Marine crap. I knew dudes that had to shave twice a day blah blah. It's bullshit but the Corps figures that if they heap bullshit on people 24/7, they will be used to it by the time the SHTF. It's just a different mindset. You can't abuse spec ops guys for fun, they are so valuable that you can't afford to let them walk simply because you thought it'd be fun to play fucking games all day/night. Regular 0311? military doesn't mind some of them being expendable...in more ways than one. I'm not saying the Corps sucks, IMO they are the greatest division-sized fighting force of all time....it's just a whole different way of doing things.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Both of you are wrong and basically throwing uneducated guesses out to the masses. I'm guessing neither of you were special operations. I'm telling you that the relaxed grooming standards are for the reasons you are trying to deny as well as for other reasons not mentioned. I've spent the last five years in group and started there on a SOT-A team. I'm not guessing, I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  The locals thing is BS.

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.

I could just see all the CSMs on the FOB's heads explode the month or so we had some SEALs staying at our FOB.  Camo pants, civilian t-shirt, beard, long hair, flip flops.. and rolled straight into the chow hall without giving a single fuck what anyone had to say about it

Both of you are wrong and basically throwing uneducated guesses out to the masses. I'm guessing neither of you were special operations. I'm telling you that the relaxed grooming standards are for the reasons you are trying to deny as well as for other reasons not mentioned. I've spent the last five years in group and started there on a SOT-A team. I'm not guessing, I know.

Might as well shut this thread down now.   Tier 0 national guard signal is here to call everyone stupid pogues.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#16]
meh, why not? when I was 'in' we called EVERYONE that wasn't an 0311 or 0331 a pog. Even 0352s were pogs, 'cause they actually rode in HMMWVs to go places!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Might as well shut this thread down now.   Tier 0 national guard signal is here to call everyone stupid pogues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.

I could just see all the CSMs on the FOB's heads explode the month or so we had some SEALs staying at our FOB.  Camo pants, civilian t-shirt, beard, long hair, flip flops.. and rolled straight into the chow hall without giving a single fuck what anyone had to say about it

I always wait for this.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At camp Pendleton they put you into a little room and everyone backed up against the wall. They lit something that had smoke and it it soon filled the room.

When you had to take your mask off it burned your throat, torched your eyes and made your nose piss.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the Marine Corps if you have a shadow you get bent.

I was always told the reason we shaved was for the gas mask. After going through the CS chamber I believed it. When they told us to take the mask off and take a breath... Fuck that hurt.

SEAL's don't need gas masks? It seems every movie every SEAL has a beard. Do they chew CS gas like bubble gum?

I've never met a SEAL so that's why I ask.
At Great Lakes where I went to boot I remember the the gas shack, I was fine until they said over that little speaker, "remove your masks"  I followed the instructions to the letter, I never touched my eyes or rubbed them, I breathed normal as I could, no choking, no burning really to speak of either, eyes watering like crazy but that was about it.

At camp Pendleton they put you into a little room and everyone backed up against the wall. They lit something that had smoke and it it soon filled the room.

When you had to take your mask off it burned your throat, torched your eyes and made your nose piss.

In the army it was basically up to the drill sergeants how much cs and how much time was spent breathing it. I did as told. Couldn't open my eyes and had lots of snot flowing... If you disobeyed (didn't hold your arms up etc they put you right back in.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:18:25 AM EDT
[#20]

As others have said I have also read that a beard on men in many ME cultures is a requirement to be seen as a man.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:22:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Am I wrong? If you feel the need to be a dick because you need to prove something, you need to take it somewhere else. I didn't call anyone pogues and I'm not trying to be anything better than anyone else...The point was that a lot of people like to throw around "things they heard" and I happened to know a little bit more, not much. If you have a problem, you're more than welcome to IM me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I wrong? If you feel the need to be a dick because you need to prove something, you need to take it somewhere else. I didn't call anyone pogues and I'm not trying to be anything better than anyone else...The point was that a lot of people like to throw around "things they heard" and I happened to know a little bit more, not much. If you have a problem, you're more than welcome to IM me.

Wrong about what?  You didn't make any definitive statements, just talked in circles.

Dont need to IM you, you're probably the most predictable poster on this forum.  

I do love the "you're wrong but im not willing to explain why, aside from groupgroupgroup."   It never fails to amuse.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Because they can

/thread
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Have you seen the natives in afg and Iraq?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the current conflict I believe it allows them blend with the natives if they had to.

Have you seen the natives in afg and Iraq?

What, they aren't 6'3" and 220lbs white dudes?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Beards interfering with donning a protective mask is a load of BS. When the Navy allowed beards, they were required to be groomed to allow for proper fit of the Oxygen Breathing Apparatus and the Mk5 Field Protective Mask. Beards were eliminated because they came to be associated with dope. The Navy got a black eye in the early '80s following a crash on USS Nimitz; post mortems on the 14 dead men revealed some had traces of THC in their systems.

It was this incident which started the "zero tolerance" on drugs policy.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Beards make you 87% more combat effective.

Unless you're a Marine grunt, nothing gets more combat effective than that.
View Quote

I fully agree.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:03:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Late but IN!

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 1:20:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was always told the reason we shaved was for the gas mask. After going through the CS chamber I believed it. When they told us to take the mask off and take a breath... Fuck that hurt.

SEAL's don't need gas masks? It seems every movie every SEAL has a beard. Do they chew CS gas like bubble gum?

View Quote

Same reason they can wear non standard uniforms, use just about any weapon they want, etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Chuck Fucking Norris, dude.
View Quote

But he's Delta...

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So conventional forces are not doing most of the training missions?

So are all conventional forces doing the training missions without beards cannot build rapport with the locals?

So there are not SOF units that don't interact with locals other than raids that still have beards?  If so, why have a beard?

How long were you an advisor and did you ever ask a local what he thought about have a beard?   If you had, you would find that they don't care and it made no differance  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#31]
That's where they keep their lunch
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Because they 'ain't got time to bleed'?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#33]
They wear beards because most of them don't have the back hair required to lash sea turtles together in case they need to escape from a deserted island...
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Cory has a tactical beard.

Hhhhnnnnggghhhhh . . .
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If I had to guess I would say they are the equivalent to the English Pioneer Sergeant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

are these pricks carrying axes and wearing leather aprons?? who are they? the decapitation detail?

If I had to guess I would say they are the equivalent to the English Pioneer Sergeant

Probably 1st Light Infantry, whose regiment breached the North gate at Hougoumont with axes, back in 1815.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:19:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I agree but 20+ years ago the Marine Corps made a point of it. When inspection time, your shave was part of it.

Now today I see beards, just asking about the change in the times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That "beard  negates gasmask"  bullshit needs to stop.

I agree but 20+ years ago the Marine Corps made a point of it. When inspection time, your shave was part of it.

Now today I see beards, just asking about the change in the times.

Wasn't that the reason hitler had the short mustache?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#37]
All I know is they have to be some tough guys to have their beard hairs pulled out by their rifle stock on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Gas masks are dumb, I don't even know why the military trains with or issues them.  I couldn't wear one at different times during the 20 years I was in due to asthma  and breathing issues, but was still issued one.
View Quote

Asthma in the military?

Neat.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Beards have been out since 1984.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe that anybody in the Navy can sport a beard.  Just not a mustache alone.

Beards have been out since 1984.

I had an instructor in Milington when I was there for aviation school...he was from the Baltic's and he had a beard..early mid 1990's.

Wish I could remember his name, one crazy fucker.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How about scuba masks and rebreathers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gas masks are for pussies.

How about scuba masks and rebreathers?

Wat?

You wear some fucked up shit if your mask touches anywhere you grow a beard. A rebreather regulator is held in your mouth just like a regular scuba regulator.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View Quote

The ODA that I supported in Iraq as part of CJSOTF was replaced by SEALs when they rotated out. That was a decade ago.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Probably 1st Light Infantry, whose regiment breached the North gate at Hougoumont with axes, back in 1815.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

are these pricks carrying axes and wearing leather aprons?? who are they? the decapitation detail?

They are French Foreign Legion Engineers.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
All I know is they have to be some tough guys to have their beard hairs pulled out by their rifle stock on a daily basis.
View Quote

Man I hate that!?!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At Great Lakes where I went to boot I remember the the gas shack, I was fine until they said over that little speaker, "remove your masks"  I followed the instructions to the letter, I never touched my eyes or rubbed them, I breathed normal as I could, no choking, no burning really to speak of either, eyes watering like crazy but that was about it.

And burned your face 'cause you just shaved.  You brought back some old memories of Pendleton...
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Man I hate that!?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I hate that!?!

My chin strap on my helmet was the real issue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man I hate that!?!

The buckle location on the ops core chin strap is brutal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How long were you an advisor and did you ever ask a local what he thought about have a beard?   If you had, you would find that they don't care and it made no differance  
View Quote

Some of our terps and us were talking about it one day.  Not only did having a beard promote fear through a presentation of strength as an immediate response, one thing I found interesting in both theaters was that the true measure of power in the middle east is if you can truly state that you are the man in charge during a meeting.  No "ill have to get back to you on that" or other circular discussion.  Locals came to understand that the guys with beards had that power and clout.  To them they are masters of their own domain for many reasons, not just the ability to groom themselves and dress as they please, but appearance plays a big part of perception in the ME.  The concept of making somebody do mundane tasks like shaving is absurd to many over there and shows a childlike lack of authority on the receiving end.   When you only have 12-30 guys living 30-60 minutes plus from other CF forces presentation of strength and competence is paramount.

Even to those that have a grasp on western culture and are somewhat educated it is still somewhat humorous. Like an inside joke.  They don't even care if you have a beard or not, they just think its funny that you HAVE to shave, like you are scared of of the consequences of something so trivial.

In the end it also promoted a concept of integration when these mentors of indigenous troops are willing to look like, talk, live, and eat with them every day. Most conventional forces doing partnerships still have a huge barrier of separation between them and their local partners, most notably the giant walls and gates of their living areas.  It is night and day compared to the cohesion and integration performed in actual FID.   Just taking some guys to the range once in a while doesn't even come close.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saddam, Bashar, Hafez and host of other leaders in the Muslim world without beards would disagree they could not intimidate without a beard
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Some of our terps and us were talking about it one day.  Not only did having a beard promote fear through a presentation of strength as an immediate response, one thing I found interesting in both theaters was that the true measure of power in the middle east is if you can truly state that you are the man in charge during a meeting.  No "ill have to get back to you on that" or other circular discussion.  Locals came to understand that the guys with beards had that power and clout.  To them they are masters of their own domain for many reasons, not just the ability to groom themselves and dress as they please, but appearance plays a big part of perception in the ME.  The concept of making somebody do mundane tasks like shaving is absurd to many over there and shows a childlike lack of authority on the receiving end.

Even to those that have a grasp on western culture and are somewhat educated it is still somewhat humorous. Like an inside joke.  They don't even care if you have a beard or not, they just think its funny that you HAVE to shave, like you are scared of of the consequences of something so trivial.

In the end it also promoted a concept of integration when these mentors of indigenous troops are willing to look like, talk, live, and eat with them every day. Most conventional forces doing partnerships still have a huge barrier of separation between them and their local partners, most notably the giant walls and gates of their living areas.  It is night and day compared to the cohesion and integration performed in actual FID.   Just taking some guys to the range once in a while doesn't even come close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some of our terps and us were talking about it one day.  Not only did having a beard promote fear through a presentation of strength as an immediate response, one thing I found interesting in both theaters was that the true measure of power in the middle east is if you can truly state that you are the man in charge during a meeting.  No "ill have to get back to you on that" or other circular discussion.  Locals came to understand that the guys with beards had that power and clout.  To them they are masters of their own domain for many reasons, not just the ability to groom themselves and dress as they please, but appearance plays a big part of perception in the ME.  The concept of making somebody do mundane tasks like shaving is absurd to many over there and shows a childlike lack of authority on the receiving end.

I absolutely love your insight about these things.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Saddam, Bashar, Hafez and host of other leaders in the Muslim world without beards would disagree they could not intimidate without a beard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those people mean absolutely nothing on the small village/tribal scale.  Again, they also know that Saddam shaved because he wanted to.  Not because he was afraid not to.

Have you ever spent an entire deployment inside a "wild west" type area with just a sub-platoon size element including support assets, with no CF anywhere near QRF distance? You will take anything you can get in the way of perception at that point, as well as certain grooming "liberties".  Theres a reason an ODA is more heavily armed than a weapons company.

You can intimidate plenty of people without a beard, guns and numbers work well for that.   But how do you intimidate 1000 people with just 20 guys? Kinda gotta pull out all the stops on that one.    Again, im not SF and I hate speaking for them, but I do get the concept behind relaxed grooming, and have used it a couple times.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top