BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The buckle location on the ops core chin strap is brutal.
View Quote

No kidding.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Saddam, Bashar, Hafez and host of other leaders in the Muslim world without beards would disagree they could not intimidate without a beard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saddam, Bashar, Hafez and host of other leaders in the Muslim world without beards would disagree they could not intimidate without a beard
Lip Beards.

They have enough authority with only the lip.

Coming out of the rat hole, Saddam had a full beard.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lip Beards.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lip Beards.

He gave himself a no shave profile
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dont need to IM you, you're probably the most predictable poster on this forum.  

I do love the "you're wrong but im not willing to explain why, aside from groupgroupgroup."   It never fails to amuse.

If I need to spell it out for you...I said there are multiple reasons for relaxed grooming standards. There's never just one reason. I'm sorry you got butthurt over my comment to someone else. That's something you may need to look into. As far as Tier 0 national guard, again you're trying real hard to convince everyone that you're some big operator, not me. For your information I spent 16 of my 21 years in the infantry and most of that was as a scout, LRSU and sniper team leader. Your comment tells me you don't know what you're talking about with SOT-A. Every person in that platoon was prior ranger BN except for a prior SEAL and PJ. They do electronic surveillance for the ODA's. They aren't pogue signal. If you are special operations you'd know that or once again you're just trying to pretend to be better than everyone else.

The reason I said to IM wasn't to explain anything to you. That's what your mommy is for. It was because I enjoy my account here and don't care to lose it. I don't WTF your problem is but you need to fix it and maybe do some pt after seeing that last pic.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:13:10 PM EDT
[#6]
And awayyyyyy we go!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lip Beards.

Gaddaffi went from clean shaven as a young man to just a mustache to a Fu Manchu in his final dictator days.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your comment tells me you don't know what you're talking about with SOT-A. Every person in that platoon was prior ranger BN except for a prior SEAL and PJ. They do electronic surveillance for the ODA's. They aren't pogue signal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Your comment tells me you don't know what you're talking about with SOT-A. Every person in that platoon was prior ranger BN except for a prior SEAL and PJ. They do electronic surveillance for the ODA's. They aren't pogue signal.

I know exactly what SOT-A is. LLVI with a cooler name and jump wings.  You must have been in the most high speed SOT-A platoon ever, because last year all the SOT-A's in my SOTF were tiny nerdy dudes that hung around the AOB's waiting to ferry people to and from the airfields.  I guess that's better than trying to chase LOBs with a clown wearing a microwave oven on his back.

Have you deployed in your billet as a National Guard SF SIGINT support person?

Quoted:
I don't WTF your problem is but you need to fix it and maybe do some pt after seeing that last pic.

Sweet that you can tell my physical shape underneath a beard and 100lbs of stuff, but thanks though.  Just got back from the gym.  Guess I gotta raise that 285 somehow, you NG guys are pretty demanding.

Quoted:
you're just trying to pretend to be better than everyone else.

Upset that im blowing up your spot?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know exactly what SOT-A is. LLVI with a cooler name and jump wings.  You must have been in the most high speed SOT-A platoon ever, because last year all the SOT-A's in my SOTF were tiny nerdy dudes that hung around the AOB's waiting to ferry people to and from the airfields.  I guess that's better than trying to chase LOBs with a clown wearing a microwave oven on his back.

Sweet that you can tell my physical shape underneath a beard and 100lbs of stuff, but thanks though.  Just got back from the gym.  Guess I gotta raise that 285 somehow, you NG guys are pretty demanding.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't WTF your problem is but you need to fix it and maybe do some pt after seeing that last pic.

Quoted:

Ahahahah

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I just KNEW there was a reason I subscribed to this thread!
(I need to listen to my inner voice more often)

ETA: Where the hell is Madcap? He needs to get in on this!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahahahah

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/phatalligator/image.jpg1_zpsvqvu23vk.jpg

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love being a pogue.  Seen way more action as one than I ever did as combat arms.  Get paid more now too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I love being a pogue.  Seen way more action as one than I ever did as combat arms.  Get paid more now too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They don't unless they are deployed/deploying/on call for an area where it would benefit them

And then even, some don't

My friend is assigned to a team and he doesn't sport a beard.  He goes everywhere they go
View Quote
I was stationed in Little Creek for a few years and would not agree.

Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/phatalligator/image.jpg1_zpspdqgfymu.jpg

Better watch out, he's a sniper, in case he didn't let you know. He also banged Katy Holmes, the actress.

Who is the most Famous Person you've ever SLEPT WITH?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Better watch out, he's a sniper, in case he didn't let you know. He also banged Katy Holmes, the actress.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k84/phatalligator/image.jpg1_zpspdqgfymu.jpg

Groupgroupgroupgroupgroupkaiteholmesgroupgroupgroupgroupkatieholmes
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Seals are exclusively rescued by rangers for that reason.

Even if the "beard for rapport" thing WASNT bullshit (which it is) seals don't actually do anything with locals except be in the same place as them for extremely short periods of time.

The actual reason they supposedly do it is to protect persec. If you've ever been Facebook friends with a navy seal or been within shouting distance of a drunk one you know they don't do persec.

Or opsec.
Of infosec.
Or even perimeter sec.

And as it turns out they don't do OPORDs either.

Or pre mission briefs.

They do it the same reason they do everything else, because TDY pay and because they live and breathe Hollywood.

Disclaimer: doesn't (probably) apply to ST6. I've never had to pleasure. Applies to all other teams.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The we have beard to fit in with the locals is Bullshit.  They are basically shiny things, they do it because they can.  Most combat FID is done by conventional forces and they don't grow beards.  And going down that line of thought most of the local don't respect non-Muslims do we all convert to Islam to fit in the locals?  I have even asked Iraqis I have advised and they all say you are Americans, why would we expect you to be exactly like us?

Additional many SOF forces don't interact with locals, except for during raids, the colored/number tasks force are hunters and not advisors.

Yep.  The locals thing is BS.

I think when you get the level of being SF, SEAL, CAG, etc.. they really only worry about shit that actually matters.  Not the petty bullshit that the grunts have to do (shaving, regular haircuts, always in a proper uniform, etc) in order to keep discipline in the ranks.

SEALs and the like have proven themselves beyond and doubt, so there is no worry about them suddenly becoming shitbags because they had a beard and long hair while they wore flip flops to the chow hall.  At least thats my theory on the matter.

I have a generally low option of the infantry skills of your average Navy SEAL. This is primarily because they do not draw from line infantry units.

I have heard that quite a bit, but zero first hand experience with it.  It makes sense, as they train for very specific missions, and every day grunt shit probably isn't one of them.  When basically any Army or Marine SF type person learned to be a grunt before they learned anything else.

Don't SEALs often roll with Rangers for that reason?

Seals are exclusively rescued by rangers for that reason.

Even if the "beard for rapport" thing WASNT bullshit (which it is) seals don't actually do anything with locals except be in the same place as them for extremely short periods of time.

The actual reason they supposedly do it is to protect persec. If you've ever been Facebook friends with a navy seal or been within shouting distance of a drunk one you know they don't do persec.

Or opsec.
Of infosec.
Or even perimeter sec.

And as it turns out they don't do OPORDs either.

Or pre mission briefs.

They do it the same reason they do everything else, because TDY pay and because they live and breathe Hollywood.

Disclaimer: doesn't (probably) apply to ST6. I've never had to pleasure. Applies to all other teams.

guess I can't even call them "water Rangers" now!
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice that they do something other than tie shit up and fuck up raids and leave their fuck ups for other people to deal with.

Did they at least stop deploying their stupid boat people to get rack upgrades?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SEALs do VSO now too, just like SF and MARSOC.

Nice that they do something other than tie shit up and fuck up raids and leave their fuck ups for other people to deal with.

Did they at least stop deploying their stupid boat people to get rack upgrades?

I hear seal shit tastes good.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In the current conflict I believe it allows them blend with the natives if they had to.
View Quote

This.

GWOT adaption.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I absolutely love your insight about these things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long were you an advisor and did you ever ask a local what he thought about have a beard?   If you had, you would find that they don't care and it made no differance  

Some of our terps and us were talking about it one day.  Not only did having a beard promote fear through a presentation of strength as an immediate response, one thing I found interesting in both theaters was that the true measure of power in the middle east is if you can truly state that you are the man in charge during a meeting.  No "ill have to get back to you on that" or other circular discussion.  Locals came to understand that the guys with beards had that power and clout.  To them they are masters of their own domain for many reasons, not just the ability to groom themselves and dress as they please, but appearance plays a big part of perception in the ME.  The concept of making somebody do mundane tasks like shaving is absurd to many over there and shows a childlike lack of authority on the receiving end.

Even to those that have a grasp on western culture and are somewhat educated it is still somewhat humorous. Like an inside joke.  They don't even care if you have a beard or not, they just think its funny that you HAVE to shave, like you are scared of of the consequences of something so trivial.

In the end it also promoted a concept of integration when these mentors of indigenous troops are willing to look like, talk, live, and eat with them every day. Most conventional forces doing partnerships still have a huge barrier of separation between them and their local partners, most notably the giant walls and gates of their living areas.  It is night and day compared to the cohesion and integration performed in actual FID.   Just taking some guys to the range once in a while doesn't even come close.

I absolutely love your insight about these things.

+1, I always stop and read daemon's posts whenever I happen upon them.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top