User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't fathom it. Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

Because I am tired of living in fucking slums. I hate having to drive past yards with cars on blocks, overgrown weeds and bushes, and grass that aint been cut in 5 months. I want to live in a nice up kept neighborhood. The people that live here are assholes; but their homes and yards are neat and clean.

My liberty and freedom are not infringed. My HOA started some BS with me when I first moved in, I eventually told them to get fucked. No issues since.

I don't live in an HOA neighborhood.

There are no overgrown weeds.

No overgrown bushes.

No lawns that haven't been cut in 5 months.

No cars on blocks.

And our property value is rising.

same here
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So your neighbor has to mow their lawn every month or so, not leave cars in their front yard, not paint their house neon purple...

Some people like to protect their property value.  

This

Not every HOA is a bad thing.  You just need to know what you are getting in to.  If I build a 3K SF home I dont want my neighbor to come in a build a 1200 sf house next door among many other things

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I"ve owned in a non-hoa neighborhood, and rented in an HOA neighborhood.

There's good and bad with both.  Owning in a non-hoa hood can suck when you go to sell and your jackass neighbors haven't mowed in months, have all kinds of crap in their driveway/yard, etc.  Prospective buyers show up and decide they don't want to live around that any more than you do.  

HOA hoods....they are their own special PIA.  I've gotten letters for leaving the trashcan at the curb an extra day (I was on vacation, sorry a-hats), pictures taken of the fence that needed to be fixed along with a letter stating it needed to be fixed or get fined (and the fence is clearly the NEIGHBORS fence)...can't park a boat or trailer in the driveway so have to store it offsite....BS stuff like that.

Overall, neither one are ideal but it depends on whether you value your freedom to do what you want on your own place and dealing with your neighbors being able to do the same (which can be bad, depending on your neighbors), or regulations and nit picking but an overall nicer looking place that holds value better that you are limited in what you can do there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom it.  Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

Because I am tired of living in fucking slums.  I hate having to drive past yards with cars on blocks, overgrown weeds and bushes, and grass that aint been cut in 5 months.  I want to live in a nice up kept neighborhood.  The people that live here are assholes; but their homes and yards are neat and clean.

My liberty and freedom are not infringed.  My HOA started some BS with me when I first moved in, I eventually told them to get fucked.  No issues since.

No overgrown bushes.

No cars on blocks.

yeh but what if you have to move out of your parents house and get your own

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
In my neighborhood there is a HOA, actually two one fee for the entire property than the other one for sub divisions. There is a hotel and country club at the beginning with a golf course with properties surrounding it, as you could guess those have the most value. The issues I have with the golf course is if your window is broken or your car dinged up, you foot the bill. The grass is cut almost very week if not two I think a lot of it has to do with the golf course upkeep. It's gated at the front and there's also security but there are houses that face another development or public road and some of those houses were burglerized. My neighbors  just sold their house for 355,000 and are moving to Georgia because their sick of Florida, the HOA and his wife just wants to really stay home watch soaps and continue getting fatter. Life goes on.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fathom it. Why would ANYONE pay a monthly fee and WILLINGLY give up their liberty?

Because I am tired of living in fucking slums. I hate having to drive past yards with cars on blocks, overgrown weeds and bushes, and grass that aint been cut in 5 months. I want to live in a nice up kept neighborhood. The people that live here are assholes; but their homes and yards are neat and clean.

My liberty and freedom are not infringed. My HOA started some BS with me when I first moved in, I eventually told them to get fucked. No issues since.

No overgrown bushes.

No cars on blocks.

same here

There are plenty of areas where that is not the case.  One of the key aspects of the HOA for some people is to ensure that remains the case, by discouraging the people who would be bothered by codifying such things from moving in, and reassuring others to that fact.

Every town has examples of areas that were once nice areas that became not so nice areas, and so on.  An HOA can bee seen as a guarantee that a nice and desirable area now will remain nice and desirable.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't it analogous to joining a club of like minded individuals.

Folks who like a neat, attractive, well maintained, tidy neighborhood.

Some folks like to live like animals.....that is their choice and I respect it.  But, I don't want to live next to them.  So I joined a club with rules.  Works well for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Common areas. I live in a place called 7 Greens (has 7 little mini parks scattered around) landscaping, etc. somebody's gotta take care of that stuff, otherwise it's just cool stuff the developer puts in to help sell houses, then it deteriorates and looks like shit. Ours also includes garbage service, so there's one trash day. None of that cans on the curbs 5 days a week stuff. I'm cool with it in his house and hood. Not enough space to do anything cool, so I'm not missing out on anything.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The only time I see my HOA is when someone is mowing the park or sanding in front of the mail boxes.  I do get a letter once a year.  I read the covenants and weighed the risks in my head before moving in.  They were acceptable for a nice house with a decent price that I needed right now because the family was living out of a hotel after moving for work.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I"ve owned in a non-hoa neighborhood, and rented in an HOA neighborhood.

There's good and bad with both.  Owning in a non-hoa hood can suck when you go to sell and your jackass neighbors haven't mowed in months, have all kinds of crap in their driveway/yard, etc.  Prospective buyers show up and decide they don't want to live around that any more than you do.  

HOA hoods....they are their own special PIA.  I've gotten letters for leaving the trashcan at the curb an extra day (I was on vacation, sorry a-hats), pictures taken of the fence that needed to be fixed along with a letter stating it needed to be fixed or get fined (and the fence is clearly the NEIGHBORS fence)...can't park a boat or trailer in the driveway so have to store it offsite....BS stuff like that.

Overall, neither one are ideal but it depends on whether you value your freedom to do what you want on your own place and dealing with your neighbors being able to do the same (which can be bad, depending on your neighbors), or regulations and nit picking but an overall nicer looking place that holds value better that you are limited in what you can do there.

The rules you disparage as a PITA are the same ones that make the first scenario not possible.

I love this place.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have lived with them and without them. I'm about to move back into one . It has 3600 acres, 3,000 of that is common area,, my lot is 3.7 acres. They keep up the roads, the airport, the rifle and pistol ranges, the trap and skeet ranges, the stables, the riding arena, the horse trails, the clubhouse and restaurant, the tennis courts and the swimming pool. Oh and the gate with guards, the fire trucks, the ponds and the hunting areas. Be pretty hard to do that all by my self, especially when I'm at sea half the time. So yes there are some rules that are a pain in the ass. But it isn't in the city limits so there really isn't an extra layer of "government" vs someone who isn't in a HOA but is in the city. It also prevents the guy next to me from hauling in a house on wheels and his kids from blowing by me on a dirt bike when I'm on my horse or a guy with a kennel of baying hounds driving me and my dogs insane. I've experienced those things too on the 20 acres I have up in SC So it's a trade off I find works for me.

gosh, why would you give up all your freedom...

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Common areas. I live in a place called 7 Greens (has 7 little mini parks scattered around) landscaping, etc. somebody's gotta take care of that stuff, otherwise it's just cool stuff the developer puts in to help sell houses, then it deteriorates and looks like shit. Ours also includes garbage service, so there's one trash day. None of that cans on the curbs 5 days a week stuff. I'm cool with it in his house and hood. Not enough space to do anything cool, so I'm not missing out on anything.

Of course, now this thread gave me flashbacks to a brief time in a townhouse. One interaction with the HOA president. Almost 20 years later, and I'm tempted to look through our old documents to find his name, track him down and slap him in the face. Still makes my blood boil. I was on a ladder looking at ice dams on "our" roof, and he started chewing me out like I was a naughty child. I was maybe 23, and completely caught off guard. Would love to have that conversation again. He was just rude, and I never called him on it. Hopefully he got pancreatic cancer. That would give me a warm fuzzy.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Because 50% of the general population are below average morons,
and birds of a feather flock together.  

Hey!  I resemble that remark!!!  

But really, around here prices got pretty bad so we had to "drive till you qualify" and that meant moving into a newer development which included an HOA.  Sucks, but it was just part of the deal, since there weren't too many other options we could afford at the time.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my HOA, there is sometimes petty BS but it is a lot easier to straighten things out with them then dealing with a neighbor who simply replies FU and leaves his place looking like shit.
On the down side, over the last 22 years the fees have tripled to $ 25 a month.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]
In an HOA neighborhood now because I can't quite afford enough land to not care what what my neighbors do or how they affect my property value.

I lived in a place where the deadbeats could devalue a whole neighborhood.

One day I'll be my own HOA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no problem with HOA's as a concept.  I wouldn't live in one, though, unless the benefit outweighed the risk.

The common areas, activites, etc. can make up for it and I know several HOA dwellers around here who are perfectly happy.  

The country is packed with people, and they all have different tastes.

My condo HOA sucked, though.

Many of the anti-HOA people in my life are...what HOA's protect against.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So your neighbor has to mow their lawn every month or so, not leave cars in their front yard, not paint their house neon purple...

This. FUCKING THIS!!! That is exactly why I bought a home in a "master planned community". With several of the worst neighborhoods in the country, I didn't want to even to get close to having to worry about fences made out of hubcaps and shit.

What's wrong with hubcab fences?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
i like my freedom.  People that like HOAs: wait until the neighborhood becomes a gun free zone so potential buyers know the neighborhood is safe
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
i like my freedom.  People that like HOAs: wait until the neighborhood becomes a gun free zone so potential buyers know the neighborhood is safe

Totally.  Or when the HOA President has to sniff your crotch before you go to work!!!11!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Totally.  Or when the HOA President has to sniff your crotch before you go to work!!!11!!

Your comment is a little dramatic, but if the neighborhood devolved into that condition, why would you continue to live there?    Your neighbors want a different environment than you do.  Sounds like a case of a Mom saying "Everyone in the parade is out of step except my little Johnny."  

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Your comment is a little dramatic, but if the neighborhood devolved into that condition, why would you continue to live there?    Your neighbors want a different environment than you do.  Sounds like a case of a Mom saying "Everyone in the parade is out of step except my little Johnny."  

The original comment I quoted was a little dramatic.  My uncle lives in a snotty HOA and shoots off his deck.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I purposely went out of my way to get a home that was not in an HOA and so far I have been VERY happy with my decision. I have only had one problem, I got some new neighbors and for awhile they refused to take care of their weeds. I asked them to do it twice politely over the span of 4 months so I gave them a third of a year to do it and they still ignored me. I called the city and they took care of it. The weeds were cut the next week.

All you did was use the power of a larger "HOA" aka the City, to enforce a rule. What is the difference?
The difference being I can do anything I want except grow large weeds and have abandoned cars and I don't pay any HOA fee/fees.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Or allow an 80 year old veteran to put up a flag pole in their front yard.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

In an area with lots of white trash, its worth it to keep neighbors from decorating their yards with broken washing machines and feral dogs.

And yet, invariably many of these kinds of issues are already covered by city ordinances.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:28:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Bought a home in 2001 and served as President of HOA Board for 10 years. The home is wonderful and I will never buy in an HOA community again... terrible mistake and never a single word of "thanks mister"! If you decide to own in an HOA community, you will be at the mercy of non-paying deadbeats that know, in the end, they don't have to pay and they are happy to let the neighbors subsidize them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to buy a home in an affluent or upper middle class neighborhood in the DFW are that is not governed by an HOA.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Bought a home in 2001 and served as President of HOA Board for 10 years. The home is wonderful and I will never buy in an HOA community again... terrible mistake and never a single word of "thanks mister"! If you decide to own in an HOA community, you will be at the mercy of non-paying deadbeats that know, in the end, they don't have to pay and they are happy to let the neighbors subsidize them.

HOA's are permitted to foreclose on your home in Texas.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

im not going to up and sell my house and move my family and go through trying to find another house and hope i can secure financing because of what some uppety neighbors opinions are.   I rent in an HOA right now and i can't stand it.  It seems like every neighborhood in my town is HOA.  Hopefully i can buy a house outside city limits.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Thank you for all of your hard work, Mister Kanatak.

I serve on the HOA where I have a rental property, and participate in the HOA where my primary residence is located.

Our HOA business has been very low key, yet I can see the potential for craziness.

Focusing on the general issue:

In most general terms, our HOA have very limited power in AZ, except to add additional fines.  When those go to probate court, late fees are typically diminished and the property management company will get the lions share of the proceeds instead of the HOA.

Neither HOA gets out of shape over ticky-tack stuff.  At my rental, we have gone out of our way to make sure that nobody was being fined or levied during the real esate crisis of 2006 - 2010.  

The HOA for my house ensures the owner's rights to keep horses, livestock, equipment storage, and commercial business activity on the premises.  These horse properties and their "character" are a far cry from what most people expect in established HOA.  Out buildings are encouraged and vehicle projects are a way of life.

I remain intrigued at the Florida communities with clubhouses and golf courses.  There is amazing potential to either hold on to a money maker or see the entire dream become deconstructed in court.

Lastly, I wonder what the opponents to an HOA think of communities such as Augusta National...?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't want to look at your neighbor's purple house, you should probably put up a fence.

The whole "But mah PROPERTY values!" argument is a load of crap.   You don't have a right to "value" in your property.   Value is in the mind of buyer and seller.

If your neighbor wants to sell his house to a "trashy" family, are you going to tell him it's your RIGHT to forbid the sale because of how it might affect your property's value?

Pure nonsense.

If you want a say on what goes on next door... then BUY next door.

But you have completely missed the point. An HOA is a free association for like minded people, people who have chosen to live together under a set of rules governing behavior. They have elections and everyone who is a property owner is eligible to hold office on the board.  

It is the purest form of freedom, the freedom to associate with like minded people. I do not live in an HOA, I told my realtor that as long as there is an HOA don't even bother to show it to us. I am a bit jaded because HOA are a large part of my client base, but, I also advocate for them in front of the state legislature and local government because I am strong believer in the right of their members to freely associate under rules that they make and agree to before living in the community.

At the end of the day people choose to live in community associations, they form a compact with their fellow residents and become the most local form of government that people will deal with on a regular basis. If you live in an HOA and don't participate, then don't bitch when things don't go your way. Same thing for gun rights, taxes and freedom at every level. Don't vote? Don't bitch.

Umm how is it free? you pay dues, some states they can foreclose your home to pay said dues and you have to follow their rules.

Really?

Let me clarify, the people who live in the association have freely, of their own volition, without coercion or duress, CHOSEN to live in the association. If by my post you inferred that I meant that associations were free of charge, I apologize. That was not my intent.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This.

I'm not in an HOA neighborhood and have mixed feelings about them.  But they definitely serve a purpose in some cases.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was waiting for this answer.

And Bren Franklin had something to say about these kinds of morons.

What did Franklin say about people voluntarily joining an organization?
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I kind of enjoy the private pool, two fishing ponds, walking trail, landscaped entrances and common areas.  The fact that my neighbors aren't scumbags and can't park on the street is an added bonus.  So I can't put up a chainlink fence and have a donkey in my yard, I think I'll get over it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Not everything about a HOA is negative.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

HOA's are merely a symptom of not enough government involvement/oversight in our communities in the first place

And that is a good thing.

You do not want people from another part of town making one size fits all decisions for your neighborhood based on their biases. Your neighborhood should be controlled by you and your neighbors.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, it's virtually impossible to buy a home in an affluent or upper middle class neighborhood in the DFW are that is not governed by an HOA.

Almost all of Dallas and the Park City's are HOA free.  Welcome, enjoy the life.  SO nice, putting in new fences, gates, roofs, landscaping, drive, not one bit of approval from an HOA overlord.  Glorious sweet Hallelujah!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Because I like paying an extra $100 a month so someone else can tell me the maximum weight of dog I'm allowed to own in my privately owned residence.

/sarcasm
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
HOA's exist for the same reason gun free zones do.

And, for the most part, are inhabited by the same type of people.

"Please make rules to protect me from the bad people in the world ... please don't make me take that responsibility upon myself ... I will gladly give up some freedom to be protected by smarter, stronger men then myself ..."

That sums it up..
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#40]
This whole thing is really pretty simple, herd animals live in herds. I am not a herd animal like a sheep, goat or cow. I do not wat to be corralled into a tiny pen and told what to do and then talk about how great it is to live in the tiny pen. My nearest neighbor is over a mile away , I have a larger yard than the tiny lot most people have in their HOA and that does not include the rest of my property, my home is not trashy, it is well kept, so is my yard. I garden, raise livestock and take a piss in the front yard when I feel like it. I have a private range , out buildings and other improvements that did not require approval from little HOA Nazis or a local council. I live in an unincorporated area. People that want to live with the least possible amount of governance in their daily lives live in unincorporated  areas, not in a fucking sub division and pay dues and beg for permission to construct a patio on their own property. Owning property is work period if you are proud of what  you own and take care of you have earned. I do not need some self important twits to tell me I have to cut and edge my lawn . BE THAT an HOA or a city council.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Was going to post a reply, but BRB got to go to the junk yard and get some el caminos and a few milk crates since I don't live in an HOA.  

Fucking nanny state faggots
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow.

According to this thread, anyone who lives in a home with a HOA is a moron, is possibly insane and has a same mentality of those that think gun free zones are a good idea.

I am learning alot here. None of these thoughts had ever even remotely occurred to me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wow.

According to this thread, anyone who lives in a home with a HOA is a moron, is possibly insane and has a same mentality of those that think gun free zones are a good idea.

I am learning alot here. None of these thoughts had ever even remotely occurred to me.

and anyone that lives in a home without one is a piece of shit human being that wallows in their own filth and does absolutely nothing to improve their property.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Wow.

Gee kind of like the suggestion by many that if you do not live in an HOA you are trailer park trash that does not take care of your property and that being in the HOA and paying the mandatory dues keeps you incentivized to make sure your home stays clean and kept in a nice looking state?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

This.  If everyone were responsible then HOAs would be irrelevant.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I will never own a house with a HOA.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Practically all the new communities in my area have a HOA.  If you want a "new" house, that's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:01:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I don't understand it either. My property, my rules.

Two words:  Love Canal.

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

If you don't want to look at your neighbor's purple house, you should probably put up a fence.

The whole "But mah PROPERTY values!" argument is a load of crap.   You don't have a right to "value" in your property.   Value is in the mind of buyer and seller.

If your neighbor wants to sell his house to a "trashy" family, are you going to tell him it's your RIGHT to forbid the sale because of how it might affect your property's value?

Pure nonsense.

If you want a say on what goes on next door... then BUY next door.

Then I'm sure you won't mind if I open up a feedlot in my back yard right when you decide to put your house on the market.

Property values, who needs them?

Link Posted: 2/17/2013 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#50]
All hoa around here unless I wanted to live 45 miles from my office or in a shit hole. I would rather have piece of mine in my gated community and have time with my family.
To each his own.

FYI to get away I roll out to my land and building a house out there to get away from the city
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top