Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Being I am able to walk into a supermarket and buy ONLY the crap on the list, and nothing else, I am the designated food picker-upper and have been going to 2 or 3 stores every single week for the past two decades. There might have been one person in that time that whipped out a checkbook.

View Quote

Stop making sense. There is much boomer reeeeee'ing to be done.

I need to remember to start writing checks when I shop boomer hour Tuesday mornings at the local WalMart

But I'll hold back in line until I can get in just in front of a youngster, not filling my check out in advance. Just for fun..........

now if I could only find my glasses
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!
View Quote

If my bank does not have electronic payment info for a recipient, they mail a paper check and do not charge me for the stamp.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I like to write checks to my friends and laugh as they groan "why won't you just use Venmo?!"
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Payment by mail -- utilities, insurance, doctor and dental bills, etc. -- I pay by check.

Payment in person -- cash or credit card. I never use checks for over-the-counter transactions.

(Boomer here.)
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Well to be fair most young people don't know how to fill one out, kind of like their inability to count change. No wonder they like plastic
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I do but for expensive items to keep a paper track.
View Quote

That and I just HATE mailing my Debit card to somebody in another state to make a payment...

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I use checks all the time. At Walmart they can run the check without writing anything on it and its usually quicker then the DBag who A- doesnt know which side to stick in the card, B- then punches in the wrong code a few times or C- pulls the card out before the transaction is complete and the cashier has to reset it. Plus i worked at a bank for 15 years and will never use a debit card. Someone can take everything you have and you will have no recourse.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a small business owner I'd MUCH rather get checks than credit cards. No fees with checks.

View Quote

^
All gun and suppressors bought at LGS I pay with check and am thanked by the owner.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My 83yo father in law cannot grasp that a check, once scanned by the point of sale system, is converted to an electronic debit and the paper check is void. He gets into verbal arguments with cashiers all the time that they need to keep the check to get paid, while they insist it is his per their training.

He also carries his checkbook in the back pocket of his pants and regularly drops it in the stall at the grocery store after taking dump when he meets his retired friends for coffee every morning. The answering machine message 2-3 times a week is simply "Hey, it's ___, ___ left his checkbook again..." from the assistant manager on duty.

Kharn
View Quote

Lol my mom is late 70’s. I don’t think she fully understands that when checks are processed like that it’s basically a debit card (which I can’t really get them to understate is not the same thing as a credit card)

The look on my dads face the first time we did self checkout and he was able to pay with cash was
When we got In line at the self checkout to pay for his one item he almost yelled at me “IM NOT PAYING FOR THIS WITH A DAMN CREDIT CARD”!!!

The young lady running the self checkout had to walk off she got so tickled
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like to write checks to my friends and laugh as they groan "why won't you just use Venmo?!" ]
View Quote

i wrote my daughter a check last week and then realized I now have Venmo. But I’m gonna keep writing checks just to aggravate her
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#11]
For example, the guy that owns the building where I rent my office space, he expects a check.

When I pay my film crew members, they get checks.

That is about it but in those cases, checks are the best option.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Cash is king.
Checks are better than plastic.
The government wants you to hate cash and love plastic.
They prefer to track your income and outgo, and plastic is the best way to do it.
View Quote

This is a part of it
.gov wants me to so I don't want to
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Open and run a business. 2.5 to 3% off the top is a lot for some. I think it should be passed on to the customer by adding it to the bill. Not hidden.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Writing a check is faster than a young'n finger fucking his phone trying to find the right app for paying.  Then realizing he needs to sign in but forgot his passcode and had to look for his digital keyring/.........,
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I do it because I know it annoys the impatient children.
Real answer: its just another tool in the tool box.
GD is full of Ageism. The banhammer needs to come down before a lawsuit.
View Quote

Are you saying the website should be sued because young people are making fun of older people?  And did you just make fun of those younger people?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My bank acct has been hit twice(once at Christmas time) in three years from using debit card, CC also hit last year school shopping. Nobody has ever gone into my pocket & robbed my cash.
View Quote

Sooo you order stuff online with cash?  

Don’t tell me....you don’t ever order anything online.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I would only write a check if I knew the person behind me in line was an F150 driver.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!
View Quote

Ours stopped doing that last year. Much better to get your money RFN then deal with missing checks, overdrafts, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#20]
... I pay my landscapers by check, works well for both of us
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:50:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I pull out the check book just to hear millennials groan; other than the enjoyment that provides most everything else is electronically.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I do it for all of the good reasons posted.  3 years ago I was at Sam's Club and started to write a check  at the checkout line for about $300.  The most stereotypical Karen ever was behind me and said out loud "they make credit cards for a reason".  I turned and looked at her and said I have 25 new checks in here (holding up my checkbook) how long do you think it will take me to fill everyone of them out if I can't spell Sam's Club wright. She got my  meaning and shut her face.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You say that as if a card transaction doesn’t create a record.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Bills and donations get checks, online orders and gas gets credit card, in face payments for local purchases get cash.  It's what works for me.

I just wrote out 11 checks a few minutes ago, four for bills and seven for donations to various organizations.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bills and donations get checks
View Quote
Several years ago, my brother-in-law's sister died suddenly leaving husband and two kids. A GoFundMe was set up for them. Was going to go that route until I saw what they skimmed off the top. I gave them a check instead.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I do it because I know it annoys the impatient children.
Real answer: its just another tool in the tool box.
GD is full of Ageism. The banhammer needs to come down before a lawsuit.
View Quote
We shouldn't judge those who attempt to pay for groceries with beaver pelts and beads, after all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because checks are more secure than debit cards at checkouts. I write them at the store, as do a lot of others in my AO. Sure, most of the time they're converted to electronic payment right then, but I don't have to worry about debit card skimmers. It also gives me a better accountability of how funds are spent.

View Quote
I write check.  I know the exact amount I am writing it for.  I see charge hit bank.  I am accountable for my spending.
I use debit card.  I know the exact amount I am swiping it for.  I see charge hit bank.  I am accountable for my spending.

It's easier for a local small time criminal to steal a check and alter it (or use the routing and account number) than it is to conjure up a debit card number.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Cause the feed store only takes cash or checks, and sometimes I but quite a bit of feed.

But I use checks at Drs offices too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cash is king.
Checks are better than plastic.
The government wants you to hate cash and love plastic.
They prefer to track your income and outgo, and plastic is the best way to do it.
View Quote

Yeah because they can't track checks.  Totally impossible.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Only time I write a check is for taxes or very large purchases.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't pay with checks.

But when I did, if you have the store's name written out, dated, signed... then all you have to do is write the amount... it really doesn't take any longer than a credit or debit card.

Problem is, most check-writers don't do that.

However, the reason I stopped writing checks had nothing to do with the time I took.I was damn good... and QUICK. It was more that I realized I was pissing off thin-skinned whiney Millennials behind me who get unhinged at the sight of a pen. So as a mature Boomer, I stopped doing it mainly to keep the peace.

ETA: Currently I use contactless payments with my phone (whenever possible), and within a week I'll be using my new Crypto debit card.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
^^^This
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not aware of any CC daily limits.

I think the single biggest charge I've ever put on a CC was like $3500 though.

Mine is 5000 or 7500 not sure. If I'm spending that much or more it's most likely going to be a check.
Why not get the points/cash back?
^^^This

I wrote a check for 21k today. That would have maxed out my card.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Easy way to pay somebody in some cases. My yard guy prefers checks (or cash obviously) even though he accepts paypal and some other e-thing I forgot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't pay with checks.

But when I did, if you have the store's name written out, dated, signed... then all you have to do is write the amount... it really doesn't take any longer than a credit or debit card.

Problem is, most check-writers don't do that.

However, the reason I stopped writing checks had nothing to do with the time I took.I was damn good... and QUICK. It was more that I realized I was pissing off thin-skinned whiney Millennials behind me who get unhinged at the sight of a pen. So as a mature Boomer, I stopped doing it mainly to keep the peace.

ETA: Currently I use contactless payments with my phone (whenever possible), and within a week I'll be using my new Crypto debit card.
View Quote

You don't have to fill out anything on the check except for your signature.
The MICR (magnetic ink character recognition) scanner at the cash register is also a printer.

But anyone paying with checks today also missed that wonderful technology's introduction 15 years ago.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Cause you can't float a debit card.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I pay my gardener with checks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Large project on your house or a build with me, you'll be paying by check or cash. I don't do plastic unless I have worked with the client for years.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I use checks to pay my bills. Never use them when I go out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I do it for all of the good reasons posted.  3 years ago I was at Sam's Club and started to write a check  at the checkout line for about $300.  The most stereotypical Karen ever was behind me and said out loud "they make credit cards for a reason".  I turned and looked at her and said I have 25 new checks in here (holding up my checkbook) how long do you think it will take me to fill everyone of them out if I can't spell Sam's Club wright. She got my  meaning and shut her face.
View Quote

Is this bait?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:02:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:06:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Because people take exception to just walking out with it?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
1 - Because car dealerships charge 3% on CC payment (cock suckers).
2 - Paper trail of payment or non-payment with a bounced check.
View Quote

Car dealerships don't charge 3%, the banks charge them 3% and they pass on the fee.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:34:11 AM EDT
[#43]
There is always someone who doesn't take an e-payment.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:45:55 AM EDT
[#44]
If your life is so hectic that you can't wait three minutes for someone to write a check, you need to start taking measures to slow things down in your world. Seriously
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That doesn't make sense.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Youngmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Car dealerships don't charge 3%, the banks charge them 3% and they pass on the fee.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1 - Because car dealerships charge 3% on CC payment (cock suckers).
2 - Paper trail of payment or non-payment with a bounced check.

True but someone is still out the 3% and in this case the dealership doesn't want to be the one.

Years ago I put $3000 down on a new car using a check. Based on this formula, a CC would have added 3%. Gee, I wonder what I could do with $90 other than give it to a CC company just for the privilege of paying with their card. I saw no reason at all that a payment fee was necessary when there was a free alternative. It is also kind of telling why the banks and credit card companies want to eliminate cash and put everyone on electronic payment systems (governments too but for different reasons). The flow of money to them would be endless. They would be skimming every nickel and dime transaction. Sweden is pretty much all electronic now with no one using cash. The convenience fees must really be racking up there and even their central bank is worried that it limits the system to people with a digital presence.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My bank acct has been hit twice(once at Christmas time) in three years from using debit card, CC also hit last year school shopping. Nobody has ever gone into my pocket & robbed my cash.
View Quote
I don't often use checks but I do it for certain things.

Ive had my debit card compromised with online shopping more than once.  Not having cash on hand or using checks would have cut me off from my own money.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Why do young people carry no cash and use a fucking credit card for a $2.00 cup of coffee?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top