Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:21:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess many people don't have check books or banks near by, don't make enough money to keep a bank account, or don't need copy pf payments that is official, also some people don't trust electronics accounting  because of hackers. How do you pay your debts OP?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do young people carry no cash and use a fucking credit card for a $2.00 cup of coffee?
View Quote

Because McDonalds charges $2 if it's cash or credit, and it's $0.04 back if you use credit.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]
4 pages and no Lebowski check pic?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Because McDonalds charges $2 if it's cash or credit, and it's $0.04 back if you use credit.

Kharn
View Quote

Gas is 10 cents a gallon cheaper if cash is used.

Plus who the fuck goes to that garbage restaurant.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread in general shows one of the things wrong with society today, no patience. Quick checkouts, instant meals, fast food, high speed internet and on and on.

OP, I wonder if you have children because they will test your patience to no end. Consider it as character building.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Old people.

They can't get with the times.
View Quote

And how's the so called "times" working out for you in VA dude?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I do but for expensive items to keep a paper track.
View Quote

and a debit card doesn't achieve the same result?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Paper trail?

Why shouldn't we?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The trick is to prefill the check, so that all you have to do at the register is fill in the amount and sign.  Doesn't really take all that long.
View Quote

yet some old moron always waits until the cashier is finished, THEN whips out the checkbook and starts s-l-o-w-l-y filling it in...

I went to the county dump, which has a $2 fee, they take cash, check, credit card, debit card.  The old geezer in the truck in front of me got OUT of the truck to rest the checkbook on his roof and slowly wrote a fucking CHECK for $2.    "Fuck all y'all in line behind me, you can just wait on my slow ass."
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As a small business owner I'd MUCH rather get checks than credit cards. No fees with checks.

View Quote

debit cards usually have much lower fees than credit cards, and often no fee.  Negotiate a better deal with your card-reader provider.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why do people give a damn about what or how other people do things?
View Quote

Because sometimes it affects us.  Like when the old lady in line in front of me at Publix takes 5 minutes to write a check for her groceries when she could have used a debit card instead.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use checks all the time. At Walmart they can run the check without writing anything on it and its usually quicker then the DBag who A- doesnt know which side to stick in the card, B- then punches in the wrong code a few times or C- pulls the card out before the transaction is complete and the cashier has to reset it. Plus i worked at a bank for 15 years and will never use a debit card. Someone can take everything you have and you will have no recourse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I use checks all the time. At Walmart they can run the check without writing anything on it and its usually quicker then the DBag who A- doesnt know which side to stick in the card, B- then punches in the wrong code a few times or C- pulls the card out before the transaction is complete and the cashier has to reset it. Plus i worked at a bank for 15 years and will never use a debit card. Someone can take everything you have and you will have no recourse.

That's not true, unless you wait more than 60 days to report fraudulent charges.  From the FTC:

ATM or Debit Card Loss or Fraudulent Transfers.
If you report an ATM or debit card missing before someone uses it, the EFTA says you are not responsible for any unauthorized transactions. If someone uses your ATM or debit card before you report it lost or stolen, your liability depends on how quickly you report it:

If you report:Your maximum loss:

Before any unauthorized charges are made.$0

Within 2 business days after you learn about the loss or theft.$50

More than 2 business days after you learn about the loss or theft, but less than 60 calendar days after your statement is sent to you,$500

More than 60 calendar days after your statement is sent to you.All the money taken from
your ATM/debit card acount, and possibly more; for example, money in accounts linked to your debit account.

If someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol my mom is late 70’s. I don’t think she fully understands that when checks are processed like that it’s basically a debit card (which I can’t really get them to understate is not the same thing as a credit card)

The look on my dads face the first time we did self checkout and he was able to pay with cash was
When we got In line at the self checkout to pay for his one item he almost yelled at me “IM NOT PAYING FOR THIS WITH A DAMN CREDIT CARD”!!!

The young lady running the self checkout had to walk off she got so tickled
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 83yo father in law cannot grasp that a check, once scanned by the point of sale system, is converted to an electronic debit and the paper check is void. He gets into verbal arguments with cashiers all the time that they need to keep the check to get paid, while they insist it is his per their training.

He also carries his checkbook in the back pocket of his pants and regularly drops it in the stall at the grocery store after taking dump when he meets his retired friends for coffee every morning. The answering machine message 2-3 times a week is simply "Hey, it's ___, ___ left his checkbook again..." from the assistant manager on duty.

Kharn

Lol my mom is late 70’s. I don’t think she fully understands that when checks are processed like that it’s basically a debit card (which I can’t really get them to understate is not the same thing as a credit card)

The look on my dads face the first time we did self checkout and he was able to pay with cash was
When we got In line at the self checkout to pay for his one item he almost yelled at me “IM NOT PAYING FOR THIS WITH A DAMN CREDIT CARD”!!!

The young lady running the self checkout had to walk off she got so tickled

my 73yo dad still doesn't believe debit cards are real.  

"Look at that fool, paying for groceries with a credit card.  He'll eat the groceries and still have the debt!"  

It's a debit card, not a credit card.  

"Harrumph! Never heard of such a thing.  We didn't have them in the 1970s, therefore they DON"T EXIST!!!!"
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

GD is full of Ageism.
View Quote

Not true. I also hate it when young people use checks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Weak rant.  You forgot the people who count out exact change out of a pocketbook.
View Quote

Ugh. I'm married to one. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess many people don't have check books or banks near by, don't make enough money to keep a bank account, or don't need copy pf payments that is official, also some people don't trust electronics accounting  because of hackers. How do you pay your debts OP?
View Quote
My point is that for those who feel that plastic is too unsecure, cash and a receipt for showing services rendered, should be sufficient for most transactions.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
. . . . Checks are just like "HEY, HERE ARE MY ACCOUNT AND ROUTING NUMBERS, WILL YOU PLEASE FUCK ME". Add to that the process for check fraud is much, much harder to overturn and track, so victims usually get a lengthy financial fucking instead of a few days of insured investigation.

I requested my bank stop sending me checks and destroyed all of mine, as do all of the people in my field. When you use checks you're basically handing out individual copies of your card.
View Quote

Don't forget that your name, home address, and sometimes telephone number are right there with your bank account and routing number too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why do young people carry no cash and use a fucking credit card for a $2.00 cup of coffee?
View Quote

It's a debit card. It deducts directly and immediately from your bank account.  Like a check, except faster.  Like cash, except easier to carry.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP are you of those people that buy a soda for 1.99 .99 and whip out your cc card ?
View Quote

I'll pay for a .99 Coke at McDonald's with a CC.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread in general shows one of the things wrong with society today, no patience. Quick checkouts, instant meals, fast food, high speed internet and on and on.

OP, I wonder if you have children because they will test your patience to no end. Consider it as character building.

View Quote
Not a matter of patience, but more of my preference to indulge in life's modern offerings.  

But if you prefer your 2400baud dial-up access and CRT monitors, more power to you ;-)
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Plus who the fuck goes to that garbage restaurant.
View Quote

Old guys.
Every morning,like clockwork.
They hang out at one of the corner tables and reminisce with each other about the good old days and all of their dead friends.

RDak, aren't you an old guy? You're missing out!
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:08:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's a debit card. It deducts directly and immediately from your bank account.  Like a check, except faster.  Like cash, except easier to carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I carry both a credit card and debit card.

But will ALWAYS have a couple hundred in cash in my pocket.

I have all bases covered!!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cash is king.
Checks are better than plastic.
The government wants you to hate cash and love plastic.
They prefer to track your income and outgo, and plastic is the best way to do it.
View Quote

If the government wants to track your income and spending, how does writing a check make that harder?

A check is just a paper note telling someone else to make an electronic transfer out of your bank account and into theirs. That's the same thing a debit card or online transaction does. The debit card and on-line transactions show up on your bank statement  just like the checks. The only place a check might be different is if you get images of your checks with your bank statement, which not many personal bank accounts do anymore. Check images and registers can be useful tools for small businesses to maintain IRS-compliant records, if they don't keep books electronically. That's about it.

I still pay most of my personal bills with checks because I think it takes less time than going online, and I'll never give anyone standing authorization to deduct money from my bank. However, I don't act like it's somehow better or more secure to use checks. It's just what I think is faster.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Old guys.
Every morning,like clockwork.
They hang out at one of the corner tables and reminisce with each other about the good old days and all of their dead friends.

RDak, aren't you an old guy? You're missing out!
View Quote

McDonalds sucks.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I went to the county dump, which has a $2 fee, they take cash, check, credit card, debit card.  The old geezer in the truck in front of me got OUT of the truck to rest the checkbook on his roof and slowly wrote a fucking CHECK for $2.    "Fuck all y'all in line behind me, you can just wait on my slow ass."
View Quote

I usually sit in the car and write it out on the glove compartment lid.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My job is centered around banking compliance and fraud. Card fraud makes up the majority, but there are more balances in place to track, protect, and cover users for cards.

Checks are just like "HEY, HERE ARE MY ACCOUNT AND ROUTING NUMBERS, WILL YOU PLEASE FUCK ME". Add to that the process for check fraud is much, much harder to overturn and track, so victims usually get a lengthy financial fucking instead of a few days of insured investigation.

I requested my bank stop sending me checks and destroyed all of mine, as do all of the people in my field. When you use checks you're basically handing out individual copies of your card.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Because it is a legal method of payment?  SOme are easily triggered by something that is none of their fucking business.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31480/D28C5118-8D85-4743-8A47-418B3FC7E333-1589270.jpg

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#30]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31480/D28C5118-8D85-4743-8A47-418B3FC7E333-1589270.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/jake-1628832.jpg

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Patience is a virtue. Instant gratification is not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Boomer here and I still pay bills with checks.  Never at the checkout though.  Being an old fart has allowed me to enjoy this annoyance for a longer time that you did.  TGG was quite fond of the practice.  We must have learned it from them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Boomers
They think they’re gonna somehow stop the “cashless society” by writing checks—which isn’t cash.
View Quote

Used to be a hilarious PSA commercial on AFRTS in Japan, Befuddled woman at the PX being told her check is no good because she has bounced too many, she looks at the camera and proclaims "How can I be out of money!? I still have checks!".
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#34]
It's 2050, why in this day and age ,do people still use cards at the checkout? I audibly groan every time I see someone pull the card out and take forever to tap it at the register. Now granted it always seems to be "folks of a certain age" but I can't wait until cards go the way of the cassette tape and pay phone. Using the Neuro implant is quick and seems so much safer. Like someone said in another thread, you get brain hacked, it's one phone call to reverse the charges and reset the implant. The ONLY reason I keep cards around is to email funds, even then, I try to use Paypal first.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#35]
how else would you balance your accounts?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Used to be a hilarious PSA commercial on AFRTS in Japan, Befuddled woman at the PX being told her check is no good because she has bounced too many, she looks at the camera and proclaims "How can I be out of money!? I still have checks!".
View Quote

I remember one arfcommer who's posted that his ex wife believed that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
As a small business owner I'd MUCH rather get checks than credit cards. No fees with checks.

View Quote

This.

Not sure why some people try so hard to not understand this. Inexperience combined with arrogance is a dangerous mix.

This past year, I've written checks multiple checks for between $5,000 and $10,000, and one for $48,000. That's something approaching a reduction in $2,000 in fees for the businesses involved, and is much of the reason we negotiated the prices we did.

I guess for people who can't comprehend paying for any good or service that doesn't involve a "checkout line," this could be hard to comprehend.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I stopped using checkouts at the checkout ages ago.

Been paying with loose change for awhile now.
View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This.

Not sure why some people try so hard to not understand this. Inexperience combined with arrogance is a dangerous mix.

This past year, I've written checks multiple checks for between $5,000 and $10,000, and one for $48,000. That's something approaching a reduction in $2,000 in fees for the businesses involved, and is much of the reason we negotiated the prices we did.

I guess for people who can't comprehend paying for any good or service that doesn't involve a "checkout line," this could be hard to comprehend.

View Quote

I never realized you were this old.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#40]
At store no but for bills several place need checks.

Also take when traveling
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This.

View Quote

Bought a zero-turn last year from a local shop. Asked if I could get a discount for not using a credit card, sales dude said there's an extra 3-4% (whatever) if I *did* use a CC. Sounded legit, so I show up to get my mower and find out, no checks. Apparently the owner had had enough of bounced checks. Thought I'd have to go to a bank and cash the check until I remembered that my ATM card for the account I planned to use could work for POS.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Bought a zero-turn last year from a local shop. Asked if I could get a discount for not using a credit card, sales dude said there's an extra 3-4% (whatever) if I *did* use a CC. Sounded legit, so I show up to get my mower and find out, no checks. Apparently the owner had had enough of bounced checks. Thought I'd have to go to a bank and cash the check until I remembered that my ATM card for the account I planned to use could work for POS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

This seems to be a growing trend.

I have two current credit card charges, ~8,000 and another 4,500 where I offered to write a check, but they refused to take one. But, they did take credit. Their loss. Same cost to me.

But, for the most part I've been able to negotiate better prices on large purchase offering to write a check. It seems to be a matter of the type of clientele a place is used to, and how many times they've been burned. Also, the type of service involved. But, I had my whole house painted before the check I wrote them ever cleared.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:36:31 AM EDT
[#44]
I have several credit cards but no debit card as I do not trust them. Under existing Federal law going back decades, you have more protections with a credit card then you do with a debit card (Federal law has never been updated to deal with debit cards and I honestly would not trust them to write a consumer oriented law now). Your debit card is protected by the good will of the bank and you have to basically fight to get your stolen money back. With the credit card, you are legally limited to $50 in damages and the credit card company has to fight you to get the money (not the other way around). My sister used her debit card all the time and was eventually hacked. It took her time to get the money restored to her bank account. She went back to credit cards after that. When I have had credit cards compromised, I have never had a dime taken out of my accounts. It was on the credit card company to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Anytime I've ever done that I feel like the Dude buying milk with a check in the Big Lebowski.

ETA: I’m not the only one who was thinking that.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
OP are you of those people that buy a soda for 1.99 and whip out your cc card ?
View Quote

Not OP, but I do this.

I have my CC on my iPhone/watch, which is how I pay at the register. What’s the issue?
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw a girl whip out a cc for a .75 bottle of water last week.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!
View Quote

This.

Also some of my doctor's offices have not set up online bill pay, sending you a paper bill and return envelope for a check or your written Credit card info. I'm not sending written CC info in unsecured mail nor am I gonna play phone tag with them to pay over the phone.

Better paper trail of payments for certain obligations.

You can wait like every other person behind a check user does.  Deal with it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 10:52:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, how is that an issue? Tap the card on the scanner and walk out. Total transaction takes 10 seconds.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top