BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Too bad Dark Tower's story took a nosedive after book 4.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the first half of The Dark Tower series in the mail right now.

I read through them all about 10 years ago, it is awesome just for the crazyness of it. I figured it was time to read through them again.

Too bad Dark Tower's story took a nosedive after book 4.

Yeah, I couldn't even finish it. The Stand is still one of my favorite books, but his writing just became repetitive? to me...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because he's re-writing what he already wrote. Same characters, same dialogue, same plots.
View Quote

Yeah this too...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just read the series.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's a character in the book? How does that work???

Just read the series.

It was a great series until he started writing himself into it.

I haven't read any of the new prequel things, they any good?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
He has always sucked as all libtards do and have.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read the series.

The graphic novels?  Supposedly they're decent, I don't know.  The newer book, Wind Through the Keyhole is definitely worth your time if you read the Dark Tower.  There's also a short story about Roland, I think it was in Nightmares and Dreamscapes?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The graphic novels?  Supposedly they're decent, I don't know.  The newer book, Wind Through the Keyhole is definitely worth your time if you read the Dark Tower.  There's also a short story about Roland, I think it was in Nightmares and Dreamscapes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read the series.

Ya I was referring to the in between books, guess they aren't really prequels.

Cool I'll look into Wind Through the Keyhole and the short story, I read all of the OG books binge style.

ETA: IIRC King didn't even write the Dark Tower Comics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#7]
He sucks because he ran out of that yellow typing paper.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a lifetime goal of never going to the state of Maine.  I have read way too many Stephen King books.

That entire state is haunted.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I think The short stories he wrote a few years back were decent.

The first book of the Dark tower series is the best by far. He edited it a few years back, get a pre edit version and read it. Great book. The other six are shit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just read the series.

I liked Wind Through the Keyhole. Are there others?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Frankly, even his older stuff could be very uneven. His stories often went on way too long, he sucks at endings, and (at least IMO) he always had a tin ear for dialogue. Often found myself reading his stuff thinking, "Who talks like that?"

View Quote

Agreed.

He has provided the framework for some good movies (It, The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Misery, Stand By Me).

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Early Clive Barker:

The Great and Secret Show
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So for those looking for a righteous Stephen King replacement what authors would you suggest?

Early Clive Barker:

Holy shit, was that a great fucking read. That was one book that just totally blew me away. Wasn't in any way shape or form prepared for where that book went.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Holy shit, was that a great fucking read. That was one book that just totally blew me away. Wasn't in any way shape or form prepared for where that book went.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So for those looking for a righteous Stephen King replacement what authors would you suggest?

Early Clive Barker:

I was going to buy this book based on your comment, but $9 for the kindle edition????

Anyone want to sell me their copy?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This, and for most artists, they prosper and come up with their best work when they are under duress or suffering. Art used as an outlet so to speak. King hasn't suffered in a long time. Gold has made him soft. His best work was done when he was a poor alcoholic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many ideas can one guy come up with? He isn't Shakespeare.

This, and for most artists, they prosper and come up with their best work when they are under duress or suffering. Art used as an outlet so to speak. King hasn't suffered in a long time. Gold has made him soft. His best work was done when he was a poor alcoholic.

Truth,

I gave up King halfway through the gunfighter series. I was so disappointed because I had such high hopes....I haven't read a King book since.  He can go fuck himself for all I care now, fucking liberal asshole anyway.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That time travel killing kennedy book was alright
View Quote

+1, i really liked the sci-fi aspect along with all the historical comparisons
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I find most of his books to have about the same cadence or formula.
I have read a few of his books, for an easy nonthinking read they are ok.

ETA: Yeah that comes off sounding poorly worded, of his books that I have read they all seem to have the same cadence or formula.
If I am bored and up home I will borrow a copy of one of his books to read in the shitter.
The only place his books belong.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Truth,

I gave up King halfway through the gunfighter series. I was so disappointed because I had such high hopes....I haven't read a King book since.  He can go fuck himself for all I care now, fucking liberal asshole anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth,

I'm a fan from back in the day....but yea, it feels that way.  I was really disappointed in books 5-7.

Regarding Dean R. Koontz.....used to love his books back when I was young.  They, like King's books, captured my imaginations (I'm 33 now).  Go re-read them.  I think you'll be disappointed  I know I was.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I liked Under the Dome quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early Clive Barker:

I never finished it. I thought it was great, up until the epic battle between the mailroom dude and his assistant. Couldn't get much further than that.
I may give it another shot. It's been about 18 years.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:40:58 AM EDT
[#20]
To a degree, I think King always kind of sucked. I've gone back and re-read some of his stuff that I thought was great when I was in my teens and twenties, and it just doesn't match up to memory. What I thought was good writing and displayed imagination back then...? Just isn't so, now.

I venture to predict that King is going to be the Bulwer-Lytton of the 20th Century--He's going to be remembered, but not for good writing, and none of his works are ever going to fall into that timeless category of "classic".

In other words, he's a hack, always has been, and probably always will be. I honestly can't think of a damn thing of his that I've kept, and what I've tried to go back and re-read, I haven't been able to get through. It didn't help when he got clean and sober, either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:24:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
SNL nose dived when all of the cast members quit doing cocaine as well. You guys may be on to something.
View Quote

...and its why Gary Busey will ALWAYS be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#22]
FPNI

Something happened to his writing after he was hit.  The first book he put out after he got out of the hospital was Dreamcatcher.  Also take a look at the first 3 Dark Tower books and compare them to the final 4.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Protip, while there was a decline in his works, he never was really THAT good...

I experienced the same thing.  LOVED his books growing up.  But IMHO that was because it was some of he first fiction I was reading that was obviously "adult".

But then after getting into Sci-fi around 14-15, and reading some of the "Masters" I can't go back and read King.  It's just not good.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:44:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't want to sound like an ad, a public service ad on TV, but the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got, the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's, it's not as bright. So, that's my little commercial for that.
View Quote

-Steven King
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Because he's re-writing what he already wrote. Same characters, same dialogue, same plots.
View Quote

He's also re-written what others have written for decades.  He just has enough success and name recognition and enough of a "brand" that he can keep going on that, and he usually creates stuff with enough mass-market appeal that it gets published or produced.

He's the Michael Bay/Nickelback of horror.

My opinion of him crashed about the same time I saw the episode of X-Files he guest-wrote that was pretty much a direct rip-off of the Talky Tina episode of Twilight Zone.  Once the facade was gone, I saw a lot of his work after that was copies of other works, or weak, diluted derivative work that he could string along anyway.  Somewhere around the early 90s is when the decline started.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

-Steven King
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't want to sound like an ad, a public service ad on TV, but the fact is if you can read, you can walk into a job later on. If you don't, then you've got, the Army, Iraq, I don't know, something like that. It's, it's not as bright. So, that's my little commercial for that.

-Steven King

halp us steven king we ar stuk in irak
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:47:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

"It" sucked, and not just for the creepy "all the little kids have sex to defeat the monster" ending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It, Thinner, The Shining, Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, those were the days. Lately, everything he writes sucks. Makes me kind of sad.

"It" sucked, and not just for the creepy "all the little kids have sex to defeat the monster" ending.

(You got the ending mixed up a little)

You're reading a book about an ancient alien spider terror-clown that eats children and has been doing so for hundreds of years, and the adolescent hanky-panky is what disgusts you?  

IT was one of his best books, I'll opine.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Damn if you liked joyland , the other stuff must seem like shakespeare.

Joyland wasnt worth the shitpaper it was printed on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know. I have thoroughly enjoyed some of his newer works.

I thought Joyland was an excellent short read. 11/22/63 was also very enjoyable.

He has definitely evolved over his career, and I also think that has been part of my enjoyment as a reader.

Gave my mother a first edition hardcover of The Stand for Christmas this year. She freaked out.

Damn if you liked joyland , the other stuff must seem like shakespeare.

Joyland wasnt worth the shitpaper it was printed on

You think?  I found it a refreshing hint of how well his stories used to grab me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure his best stuff was written when he was "poor".   He got over $200,000 for "Carrie" in 1974, his first published book, and he kinda blew up from there.  He wrote four books before Carrie. Were they all trash after those?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll do you a guy better than Stephen King. Peter Straub.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:01:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The god awful piece of shit mini-series Kingdom Hospital

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After his accident (hit by a van) he lost something. This is most visible in.......

The god awful piece of shit mini-series Kingdom Hospital

If you think his version sucked, you should have seen the original series by Lars Von Trier.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Koontz. Especially the Odd Thomas books.

I haven't read all of Koontz's stuff, but I haven't read anything by him that I didn't like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Koontz. Especially the Odd Thomas books.

I haven't read all of Koontz's stuff, but I haven't read anything by him that I didn't like.

Really?  You put Koontz on the same table as King?

You liked the story about the carny goblins stockpiling nuclear weapons under a mountain?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:07:16 AM EDT
[#33]
As soon as a living author starts pimping out his or her name; the writing tends to go to shit.

Plus, he jumped the shark after Pet Sematary.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:07:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Early Clive Barker:

Imajica

Books of Blood, 1 throught 6

Sacrament

When the Books of Blood were first published in the United States in paperback, Stephen King was quoted on the book covers: "I have seen the future of horror, his name is Clive Barker."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Early Clive Barker:

Imajica

Books of Blood, 1 throught 6

Sacrament

When the Books of Blood were first published in the United States in paperback, Stephen King was quoted on the book covers: "I have seen the future of horror, his name is Clive Barker."

Agreed
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:10:39 AM EDT
[#35]
he always sucked
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I want more DT universe books....I like the uncertainty of what's around the next corner,  old tech?  magic? etc....

I don't even care if Roland or his ka-tet are part of the new ones.    Anyone know of any fan fiction based on the DT universe?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You're reading a book about an ancient alien spide terror-clown that eats children and has been doing so for hundreds of years, and the adolescent hanky-panky is what disgusts you?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It, Thinner, The Shining, Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, those were the days. Lately, everything he writes sucks. Makes me kind of sad.

You're reading a book about an ancient alien spide terror-clown that eats children and has been doing so for hundreds of years, and the adolescent hanky-panky is what disgusts you?  

There were a lot of things that sucked about that book (he spent like 50 fucking pages of backstory for a woman who literally did nothing but walk up a set of stairs and open a door) but yes anytime an author writes a moderately graphic sex scene involving children for absolutely no reason it sets off my wtf-o-meter.

ETA: just read the rest of your posts. Never mind then, didn't realize I was talking to a fanboi.

ETAx2: I should note that "It" also had a lot of incredibly goods parts. Some very effective scenes and imagery. But a lot of cruft too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Libtard brain-eating disease.
View Quote

Was going to post this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll go with this one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:52:12 PM EDT
[#40]
He's always sucked. He's only ever written one good book, and then he fucked it to death with a ton of shitty hack sequels.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the correct answer. Fuck Steven King
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#42]
I really enjoyed this one:

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Meh, Stephen King's overrated....always has been, always will be. Same for idiots like Dean Koontz.

Try Clive Barker, Caitlin R Kiernan, Ramsey Campbell, Dan Simmons

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#44]
This thread has inspired me to pick up some of his books this weekend and revisit them.  Of course only if they are at the local second hand place.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Eventually everyone runs out of shit to talk about.  Or write, in his case.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

-Steven King
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-Steven King

And....

Comprehensive and universal background checks. This probably will happen, and not a moment too soon. For one thing, it would entail a waiting period, and that alone might stop a number of would-be mass killers. Remember that two school shooters, Dustin Pierce and Michael Carneal, expressed incredulity at what they had done only moments later. Violent emotions, especially in teenagers, are like spring tornadoes: their departure is as sudden as their violent arrival. Given a chance to think, even for 48 hours, would be enough to stop at least some of these guys.

Ban the sale of clips and magazines containing more than 10 rounds. A shooter with only eight or 10 rounds at his disposal really might be taken down by a brave teacher or bystander. Dawn Hochsprung, the principal of Sandy Hook elementary school, died apparently in an effort to subdue Adam Lanza. If Lanza had been reloading after shooting his way in, she might have succeeded.

Ban the sale of assault weapons such as the Bushmaster and the AR-15. This is the one that probably won't happen. There are rationalisations but very little actual discourse on the subject of banning assault weapons. When I listen to gun advocates and NRA brass on this subject, I get an image of a little kid having a tantrum in the dirt, rolling around with his hands plastered over his ears. No! No! No! No! Also, La-la-la-la, I can't HEAR you. Can't HEAR you. Can't HEAR you!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm a fan from back in the day....but yea, it feels that way.  I was really disappointed in books 5-7.

Regarding Dean R. Koontz.....used to love his books back when I was young.  They, like King's books, captured my imaginations (I'm 33 now).  Go re-read them.  I think you'll be disappointed  I know I was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth,

I made it to page 64 in Book 3, but my liking of the series started to go down hill in book 2.  Stephen King does a really good job of propping up ones expectations, then blowing them up and they fall like a lead balloon.   It's like a kid at Christmas that wants a new bike and he gets a pencil.  I still have the books and started looking for them after reading this thread, but I can't remember where they are.  

I was never able to get into Koontz's books, though my dad always read them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
His endings really do suck.  Cell was going really well until the bizarre end.

I find that generally he's a much better author of short stories than novels.
View Quote

Agreed, I really liked "The Long Walk"  and some others in the Bachman books.  I enjoyed Bag of Bones, but the ending wasn't that great.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top