User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I really enjoyed The Talisman too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm convinced he is a Psycho who if he hadn't started writing would have been a serial killer.  Writing was his outlet.  My guess hes getting old and older people tend to settle down.  I bet old age has tempered his inner Psycho.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Skeleton Crew was my nighttime reading in the 80s.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard to name an author who maintained an edge.  Only artists who never gained fame while alive and died young seem to escape the downslope.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL yeah he didn't die that's basically it.

he really needs to team up with another writer so he can write the first 2/3 of the book and let some one else take over the ending. he's fucking terrible at endings "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
View Quote

I'm a pretty big fan of everything he did with Straub. The Talisman was a great book. So was Black House.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#6]
As said above.....he quit drinking and doing blow.  He never could write an ending to save his ass though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hard to name an author who maintained an edge.  Only artists who never gained fame while alive and died young seem to escape the downslope.
View Quote

Yeah, I always liked Dean Koontz too, but lately his stuff hasn't been anywhere near as good as it used to be.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I stopped reading King's books years ago. I read Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game after having read everything he had written up until that point that didn't require me to steal it.

I got tired of reading another book mentioning the sheriff in Castle Rock, a big crazed dog, a haunted house, etc... and when he moved his plots out to the Midwest, it was the same thing all over again... another town, another small town sheriff... I haven't read King in years and have no plans on changing that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So for those looking for a righteous Stephen King replacement what authors would you suggest?
View Quote

Koontz. Especially the Odd Thomas books.

I haven't read all of Koontz's stuff, but I haven't read anything by him that I didn't like.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Now?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHH
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So for those looking for a righteous Stephen King replacement what authors would you suggest?
View Quote

The Hillary Memoirs...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
He sobered up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#13]
fuck Steven King.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I enjoyed Joyland.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:13:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Full Dark No Stars was a good read. Not horror but very dark, violent short stories.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Early Clive Barker:

Imajica

Books of Blood, 1 throught 6

The Great and Secret Show

Sacrament

When the Books of Blood were first published in the United States in paperback, Stephen King was quoted on the book covers: "I have seen the future of horror, his name is Clive Barker."
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It, Thinner, The Shining, Dead Zone, Salem's Lot, those were the days. Lately, everything he writes sucks. Makes me kind of sad.
View Quote

He's tapped out. He's written so much that he's really been repeating characters and situations.  How many books doe she need with Christians shouting for "expiation?"  Or the Character of crazy old bible thumper lady over and over again.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]
So what's the general opinion regarding his gun control essay -worth the 99 cents on amazon?

What was that quote of his regarding semi-autos; something about them only being good for hillbillies getting their rocks off and killing people? Something like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

He is just in it for the paycheck now.

I've read a lot of the old stuff too, it was a good time.

I tried one of his newer ones a few years ago, said fuck it and gave the book away.
View Quote
His endings usually suxored anyway.

It's like he got bored about 3/4 of the way through and just wrapped it up in the next 12 pages.

Then he decided that he couldn't be a silent liberal and just take our money anymore, he had to run his fucking mouth about it.

Fuck him, he needs asscancer.

I hope it takes 20 years to kill him and he's screaming in pain from the first minute.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Its not scary , spooky or anything but it was alright. The sequel to the shining was ok as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That time travel killing kennedy book was alright

Didn't read it, assumed it sucked. Will have to check it out now.

Its not scary , spooky or anything but it was alright. The sequel to the shining was ok as well.

There's a sequel to the shining? What's it called?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Damn if you liked joyland , the other stuff must seem like shakespeare.

Joyland wasnt worth the shitpaper it was printed on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know. I have thoroughly enjoyed some of his newer works.

I thought Joyland was an excellent short read. 11/22/63 was also very enjoyable.

He has definitely evolved over his career, and I also think that has been part of my enjoyment as a reader.

Gave my mother a first edition hardcover of The Stand for Christmas this year. She freaked out.

Damn if you liked joyland , the other stuff must seem like shakespeare.

Joyland wasnt worth the shitpaper it was printed on

Ya I thought Joyland sucked. Glad I read it on a plane so didn't waste any of my time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So what's the general opinion regarding his gun control essay -worth the 99 cents on amazon?

What was that quote of his regarding semi-autos; something about them only being good for hillbillies getting their rocks off and killing people? Something like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Never wasted my time on one written word of his after he basically said my brothers, sisters and I were in Iraq because we were too stupid to go to college.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#23]
If you shit in a box and people paid you millions for it; how long would it be before you quit trying to do honest work?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tim Curran?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#25]

I too liked the 4th book the best.

It's not so much the ending.....rather him inserting himself into his books.  Goddamn ridiculous.  I think he lost his way over the years with regards to the story/direction.
View Quote

I may be in the minority, but to me that was one of the best parts of the Dark Tower series.  It was an amazing device to show the overlapping of worlds/parallel universes and put me in mind of Simulation Theory.  Are we all the creation of a writer or computer somewhere (or similar)? This makes my head all weird and fucky and interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Never read Dark Tower(s). What do you guys mean "he put himself in the story?"
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

he is a character in the story...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:29:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I always figured he just went for quantity instead of quality.  Chances are some of them are going to be decent but the majority will suck.
View Quote

He himself has written in one of his forwards that a lot of his books were written just for the money and even he thought it showed.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:29:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

What sort of horror? I still prefer HP Lovecraft!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Steven King is an asshole.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm a pretty big fan of everything he did with Straub. The Talisman was a great book. So was Black House.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL yeah he didn't die that's basically it.

he really needs to team up with another writer so he can write the first 2/3 of the book and let some one else take over the ending. he's fucking terrible at endings "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

This ^^^^
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I agree that his older stuff was "better" - but I disagree on some of the specific opinions...

For example, I personally think that book 4 of the DT series (Wizard and Glass) was absolutely the BEST of the series.  (The first three WERE great, the lasts few were "different, but still good" - but the 4th book was fantastic...)

I'm also probably one of 3 people on the planet who thinks that the ending to the series was PERFECT - and the only way it COULD end to remain epic.  Any other ending would have been lacking, but that one was ideal...

And I do agree that 'The Stand' was singular.  I was a ravenous reader as a kid, but never really gravitated towards King.  Somewhere around late middle school I picked up the unabridged version out of boredom from a friend, and got hooked.
View Quote

I'm the second. Kinda wondering who the third is....
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Everything downhill once he got rid of the thick glasses and started wearing contact lenses.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have the first half of The Dark Tower series in the mail right now.

I read through them all about 10 years ago, it is awesome just for the crazyness of it. I figured it was time to read through them again.
View Quote

Do yourself a favor and stop after Wizard and Glass.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

He literally wrote himself into the books as a character.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That time travel killing kennedy book was alright

Didn't read it, assumed it sucked. Will have to check it out now.

Don't bother.  It's horrible.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The god awful piece of shit mini-series Kingdom Hospital

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After his accident (hit by a van) he lost something. This is most visible in.......

The god awful piece of shit mini-series Kingdom Hospital

You need to watch the original The Kingdom. It was made in Sweden, I think. Subtitles, freaking weird. I'd like to find it and watch it this weekend.
And yes, the new Stephen King sucks. I like his Tower series,  but like many here state he starts sucking wind after book 3.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Too bad Dark Tower's story took a nosedive after book 4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have the first half of The Dark Tower series in the mail right now.

I read through them all about 10 years ago, it is awesome just for the crazyness of it. I figured it was time to read through them again.

Too bad Dark Tower's story took a nosedive after book 4.

I think 6 is when it goes off the rails.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#39]
King writes some awesome, compelling stories; but he can't write an ending to save his ass.  For 20 something years now, he's been endimg them with "It's Aliens" or "It's Wizards."

And I don't know what his problem with Christianity is.  Growing up the worst aspects of Christianity I was exposed to were free meals and a genuine concern I would die an unbaptized heathen.  Those hateful Christians with their fucking hospitality and free food being all secretly judgy
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really enjoyed The Talisman too.
View Quote

That and Dark House are two of my favorite books from him. I just started rereading the Tower series again, just started book 4. I hope he writes another book in the series but concentrates more on the Old People. I like when Roland is traveling and the story is about the old technology and such. Not some damn flashback about him growing up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree that his older stuff was "better" - but I disagree on some of the specific opinions...

For example, I personally think that book 4 of the DT series (Wizard and Glass) was absolutely the BEST of the series.  (The first three WERE great, the lasts few were "different, but still good" - but the 4th book was fantastic...)

I'm also probably one of 3 people on the planet who thinks that the ending to the series was PERFECT - and the only way it COULD end to remain epic.  Any other ending would have been lacking, but that one was ideal...

And I do agree that 'The Stand' was singular.  I was a ravenous reader as a kid, but never really gravitated towards King.  Somewhere around late middle school I picked up the unabridged version out of boredom from a friend, and got hooked.

King.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#42]
He's a character in the book? How does that work???
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
He's a character in the book? How does that work???
View Quote

Just read the series.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I have liked several of his novels and short stories.

The only knock, other than the fact that he likes to put his politics (which I disagree with) in his books, is that a lot of times they feel like they take a while to develop into page turners.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#45]
When did he ever not suck?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#46]
"Strawberry Spring" is still one of the all time great short stories. As is "The Raft" and many others. It has moments of true genius, as does The Stand and much of the Dark Tower.  The Shining and Salem's Lot are classics.  The rest of his stuff?  Meh. Misery's pretty good, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

When did he ever not suck?
View Quote

A few titles come to mind

Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

Green Mile

Misery
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Love his short fiction. My Pretty pony was good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:05:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And not even just a slight cameo, but pretty plot important. Didn't work though, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#50]
He went from Talented, and Crazy, to just Crazy.

He used to take years to put out a book.

Now he seems to have aligned with the industry assembly line mantra.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top