Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I literally don’t know a single person who has done either of these things.

But I do know someone who got Glock leg.

View Quote

How do you think a grip safety prevents that…. Specifically?

You activate the grip safety as soon as you establish your grip as part of the presentation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like I got beat to the punch on the Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamic's experience with them. Less than impressive for long term durability.

Granted I only have personal experience with the original XD and the XDS, I can summarize them as very okay. Springfield is a shit company that fantastically sold a very okay gun. As this thread is filled with folks who say they love their XD because it just works/always goes bang, which is a the lowest form of praise that could be given to a gun as it hits only the bare minimum requirements. At the end of the day the XD really doesn't do anything particularly better than any of it's competitors except for maybe price. There is nothing particularly notable about the gun aside from some very weird quirks. The gun is far from dangerously bad, but compared to more popular models of handguns it is a weak choice.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Until it stops working because you bought something which fails at a higher rate than similarly priced options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't give a shit what the gun is. If you like and it shoots a bad guy in the face, it's gtg.

Until it stops working because you bought something which fails at a higher rate than similarly priced options.
Nobody can figure out Murphy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It deadlined my XDm 5.25" 9mm in the middle of a match. The broken off portion of the pin bound the striker in it's channel. Dead gun.

The whole "it's only a problem if you dry-fire" is an issue in my mind. You should be dry-firing regularly. No other modern center-fire handgun requires snap caps or any other insulation to prevent damage to the firing components. It's an interior design in my opinion.
View Quote

I dry fire mine, never damaged the roll pin…

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a XD-9 compact for almost 20 years, (pre-grip zone).

I have never had an issue, it's a solid pistol.

That being said, it just sits in the safe as it does not do anything better than my other EDC choices.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They're trash.
They're for budget minded customers (aka cheapos and poors)

People who have them and claim they're good guns either don't know the difference, don't shoot much, or it's that strange gun culture phenomenon where people try to convince others their junk is just as good as top shelf options.  
View Quote

Sure, especially the multiple people who shoot them regularly, have thousands of rounds through them, light modifications (similar to other guns) to be able to shoot thousands of rounds and report them to be very accurate and reliable pistols.

My top shelf Block 22 Gen 3 is a nice gun, won't ever sell it but it just isn't as accurate or easy to shoot as it's 4.5" XDm .40 counterpart.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sure, especially the multiple people who shoot them regularly, have thousands of rounds through them, light modifications (similar to other guns) to be able to shoot thousands of rounds and report them to be very accurate and reliable pistols.

My top shelf Block 22 Gen 3 is a nice gun, won't ever sell it but it just isn't as accurate or easy to shoot as it's 4.5" XDm .40 counterpart.

View Quote
If you hate your "Block" so much, why did you buy it?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.

But you can choose to listen to high round count competitors, trainers and instructors regarding their overall performance or you can choose to dismiss them.

Up to you. I’ve seen them fail at higher rates. The magazines are particularly fragile and prone to feed lip damage.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How do you think a grip safety prevents that…. Specifically?

You activate the grip safety as soon as you establish your grip as part of the presentation.
View Quote

Some instances of glock leg and more importantly many fatal instances of glock leg are incurred during reholstering.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I love mine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Some instances of glock leg and more importantly many fatal instances of glock leg are incurred during reholstering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you think a grip safety prevents that. Specifically?

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with him?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you hate your "Block" so much, why did you buy it?
View Quote

20 years ago, you mean?  They were pretty popular then if I recall
Besides, I never said I "Hate" it, just that it's blocky and less appealing than several similar pistols including 2 HK's in .40 (USP Compact and full sized) and the XDm .40 4.5"
Tried to buy a G21 once but, um, block doesn't even begin to describe the ergos of that particular full sized piece, ended up with the HK45 instead.

My other Glock is a gen 5 19 which is certainly better- almost exclusively good things to say about it, still factory plastic sights are meh-  but its mission profile is substantially different than the full sized XDm.  My carry choice is a Hellcat currently.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

20 years ago, you mean?  They were pretty popular then if I recall
Besides, I never said I "Hate" it, just that it's blocky and less appealing than several other full sized pistols including 2 HK's in .40 and especially the XDm .40
Tried to buy a G21 once but, um, block doesn't even begin to describe the ergos of that particular full sized piece, ended up with the HK45 instead.

My other Glock is a gen 5 19 which is certainly better- almost exclusively good things to say about it, still factory plastic sights are meh-  but its mission profile is substantially different than the full sized XDm.  My carry choice is a Hellcat currently.
View Quote
Not that I would try to steer you towards a glock, but did you try the 21SF out or the regular?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not that I would try to steer you towards a glock, but did you try the 21SF out or the regular?
View Quote

It was the full sized, regular grip.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Some folks who drink the flavor aid would rather have an empty glock than a loaded Springfield. My Springfields have performed fine.
View Quote
That's literally one of the most retarded things I've read on here. Why would someone carry an empty Glock?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No.

But you can choose to listen to high round count competitors, trainers and instructors regarding their overall performance or you can choose to dismiss them.

Up to you. I’ve seen them fail at higher rates. The magazines are particularly fragile and prone to feed lip damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Hasn't been my experience with the magazines. They've been intentionally dropped on a cement floor during reloads many times at matches.. Just hasn't been my experience.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Never owned one, never like they way they looked.  Still rank it among the bottom tier of the 00's plastic pistols.

Along the lines of S&W SVDE and sigma.
View Quote

What kind of naughts and guzzintas did you figure that with?  Never owned one, don't like the looks, so its crap like a Sigma....
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I dry fire mine, never damaged the roll pin…

View Quote

How much? How often? Does the fact yours hasn't broken outweigh the fact that mine did?

Both of our data sets are a sample size of one.

The fact that other users have experienced the same failure, and the fact that several companies have gone out of their way to make improved more durable roll pins tells me it's an issue.

I'm not attacking you for your choice of handgun. I'm simply stating that objectively the striker roll pin is a point of failure not present in other contemporary handgun designs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why does no one talk about the Springfield XD series?  Are they junk?
View Quote

Quite the contrary.

I have a Springfield XDM40 that has served me well over the years.

No malfunctions, feeds everything I put through it, and has been my favorite carry gun for a number of years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why are people not looking their guns into the holster?

Goofy shit like grip safeties aren’t going to help if you’re inept to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Goofy shit like grip safeties aren't going to help if you're inept to begin with.
View Quote

Wait, I can't keep track of this- Do we love or hate John Moses Browning now???
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Grip safeties have always been retarded since the Army insisted upon them.

Strangely enough, it wasn’t a JMB thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Granted another sample size of one on both counts:

I, haven't had any failures in 3 of my higher round count XD's, XDm's with one seeing a few months of 3K rounds every 6 weeks and the others being in the 7K-10k since owning.

Video of 10K burn down of new XDm10mm, granted not full power loads but still significant in reliability.

XD-M 10mm - 10,000 Round Torture Test | Springfield Armory

While not failure related, I've got several P-80 builds I enjoy and decided to get a 19.5 MOS in the last two weeks, ended up with BTF a couple of times, WTF! Took some replacing of parts to end that with the various Glock gen 3 parts.

All of my XD/XDm's put brass in the same exact spot whether new or 10K rounds on them.

My M&P also puts the brass in the same spot every time.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Never really  got into them, I already carried S&W or Beretta.

The one I shot extensively, (3K rds in a week, was a full size .40 and one of the candidate pistols when we went dept issue)

Had no problems at all and I much preferred it over the Glock 22.  If I remember right, what washed it out was armory support, not performance.

t
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:14:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine has been great……GD hates everything
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Grip safeties are pretty retarded, but not really an issue.

My only pistol with one is a 1911 though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I like mine and I have a couple XDm .40 and XD .9 (non Grip Zone)

Accurate and never fail.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The guns are fine, nothing wrong with a Croatian made pistol.  I don't like the fake "Since 1794" logo, it's obviously made to trick retards and fudds.  It seems in the gun industry that names get bought and sold a lot but the fake government arsenal Springfield Armory logo is annoying.

They also got caught doing antigun fuckery that would exclude themselves in IL along with RRA.
View Quote

Laws for thee but not for me.  That makes them a lot worse than bitchmade or brcc in my book.  What Springfield and RRA did was on par with S&W selling out to Clinton.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#29]
This guy hasn't not been without reach for years.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a good gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This guy hasn't not been without reach for years.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471670/20210906_142457_jpg-2080673.JPG
View Quote

With virtually zero wear.

Every gun is reliable when you hardly ever shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#33]
XDs are garbage and should go to the shredder.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

With virtually zero wear.

Every gun is reliable when you hardly ever shoot it.
View Quote

I have over 20k rounds through mine. Zero stoppages.

I concede I don't shoot as much as you, But I've never seen a failed XDM first hand. I can't even count the number of failed Glocks I've seen. I've seen more than five in the last year alone. Last one was just a month or so ago. Bent guide rod, that is half polymer to my surprise. I don't even know how that happens.

I've honestly not seen any M&Ps fail either, but around here most everyone shoots Glock or SA.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#35]
It’s been 5 pages, so no one is really reading anymore. But I’ll weigh in anyway.

I don’t have an issue with the Croatian made pistols themselves. They’re decent enough.

My real issue is the SAI took the Springfield Armory name, none of the facilities, tooling, or employees and  started making clones of the real Springfield stuff. Then they eventually source a lot of stuff out of the country, but call themselves “The First Name in American Firearms.”  Go fuck yourself you deceitful bags of crap.

Then they pull the IFMA crap, then claim ignorance. Slimy pieces of shit.

They work well enough, and although I thought the XDM trigger was mushy garbage, I was still able to put together a good group first go with it:

But I won’t send a single dime to SAI, or even buy a used one. They’d have to do a major ownership change with an apology for the past, and even then there’s better options out there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The hate is more for the company than the tool they provide.

FSA
View Quote

This FSA
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't give a shit what the gun is. If you like and it shoots a bad guy in the face, it's gtg.

I agree. Dollar for dollar an xdm is better then a glock
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Nice knife too…Protech?

…Heineken?!?.  Pabst Blue Ribbon!
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Goofy shit like grip safeties aren’t going to help if you’re inept to begin with.
View Quote

Why in the fuck would any LEO want to take their eyes off a subject or situation to “look” their gun back into the holster? Unless of course they like Glock leg…
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I currently only shoot Colt 45 1911s and m&p 9s. I will probably get the xdm in 10 mm because S&W is stupid and wont build a 10mm M&P. Like i said earlier, all the plastic mcpistols are pretty good nowadays, just get what you like and shoot them till they break, repair and repeat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Xdm .40 3.8 was my first gun, shot it well and had no issues but then I found sigs

Same with my XDS.45 great gun but traded up.

I did sell it my XDM, I'm kind ofj sad because it was my first gun but it was just kicking around. I now have a SA Hellcat that I CCW.
View Quote

damn, are you me? had the same gun, sold it for a mk25 and never looked back
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No.

Up to you. I've seen them fail at higher rates. The magazines are particularly fragile and prone to feed lip damage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Up to you. I've seen them fail at higher rates. The magazines are particularly fragile and prone to feed lip damage.
I'm sure you are correct. Not everybody shoots thousands of rounds through their pistols but as a nightstand or self defense gun, they do work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
fuck springfield with hilary's dick
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why in the fuck would any LEO want to take their eyes off a subject or situation to "look" their gun back into the holster? Unless of course they like Glock leg
View Quote
How many XD users do you think practice enough that they NEVER reholster while also depressing the grip safety?
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife has the original in OD green.
HS 2000?
It has a card in the case that says it was made from a melted down Russian tank.
She has at the very least 3k rounds through it.
Never had a prob.
Springfield closed out the 5” tactical and I bought one from buds for $300.
The grip zone thing has been removed for several years now but they will never live that down.
I wrapped mine in friction tape.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I enjoy my XDm. My favorite pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No.

View Quote

“Experts” are a dime a dozen these days and like the old man used to say, “opinions are like assholes…”.  I watch a lot of these videos where the bias is palpable before they even start talking and most of them have some Glock accessories they hock as a side gig, lol.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I have an XDm 45 that I bought about ten years ago. It's been a great pistol and I shoot it better than I do the rest of my pistols.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

"Experts" are a dime a dozen these days and like the old man used to say, "opinions are like assholes".  I watch a lot of these videos where the bias is palpable before they even start talking and most of them have some Glock accessories they hock as a side gig, lol.

View Quote
True story, but flip that.  If people like Yeager or Suarez could have pimped the XD as the greatest thing ever, and made full aftermarket product lines, they absolutely would have.  They didn't. Ask yourself why.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top