Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My first truck was a small Japanese one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because they're linked to penis size.

A small truck would simply be un-American.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
There's still a market for small trucks and economy cars, but the margins won't allow it. Manufacturers make next to nothing on vehicles in those segments so it makes more sense for them to pump out full size trucks and other vehicles that they make a lot more money on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

As was mine, also my first new vehicle purchase. I loved my little base Toyota truck and it served us well. Only option was A/C, it didn't even have a factory radio.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My 22 Frontier is noticeably larger than my 17 was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nissan has been making the Frontier for about 100 years now.

Really?  On paper, it's only about 5" longer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rangers are now the size of older f150s.
View Quote

No way. I have owned F150s since the 1970s. If anything, those were bigger than modern ones…
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know the "small" trucks of today are pretty much the same size as "standard" trucks of yesterday.
My last truck was a Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison crew cab, so... this Canyon is tiny to me.
View Quote
That's kind of the point of the OP's thread though.  It's not actually a small truck.  If you google the dimensions of your Canyon and then the dimensions of an old Ford or Chevy pickup from the 80s or 90s, you didn't buy small truck.  You bought a 1/2 ton pickup truck.

I bet if you got in my old old Colorado you would think it was a toy (and old rangers are a lot smaller than my Colorado), but it's exactly what I need and what I want, for my uses.  You just can't find them anymore .
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think the Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 will be my next truck

Reason #1
There are no more 1/2 ton V8's available.  The Nissan claims 6500lbs towing so it should handle 4500lbs OK on short trips.  I would rather have V8 but since that is no longer an option, I'll get a smaller truck...

Reason #2
I am disgusted with my current Tundra.  less than 80k and all the electronic CRAP is out i.e. the adaptive cruise, the lane warning shit, all the stuff I didn't want to begin with.  Every time it rains, it all starts blinking on the dash

Reason #3
Normally I would have went with Tacoma, but fuck Toyota for selling me this POS Tundra

My 08 Tundra is still going strong.  My son drives it to Bama.  This 2018 Tundra I am driving is crap
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I think there's a huge market for an affordable small pickup truck with not many amenities. A basic bitch if you will. Priced starting around 25-30k for bottom tier.

But then who would buy all those 60k+ trucks they keep pumping out?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And I guess by small I mean primarily shorter.  There are millions of people that use trucks primarily in towns and cities for painting, small landscaping/gardening, and a hundred other businesses  that don't need a truck THAT CAN TOW 18,000 LBS, DRIVE THROUGH 3 FEET OF MUD, ILUMINATE YOUR SECOND STORY BEDROOMS DURING POWER OUTAGES, HAS AN AUTO DEPLOY STEPLADDER FOR EASY ACCESS, SPATTER GUARD FOR UNSEEN PEDESTRIANS, AND LIMITED TO THREE ON THE SAME SIDE OF GUAM AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

I just think that there has to be a market for something smaller.  Even trucks like the Ranger are now monstrosities.
View Quote

Ford Ranger
It's small
It can go off road
It can still haul a few things

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Epa, nhtsa , and 30 other government agencies
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No way. I have owned F150s since the 1970s. If anything, those were bigger than modern ones…
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rangers are now the size of older f150s.

The year 2000 or so.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
As someone who was the unfortunate owner of a 1979 Plymouth Arrow pickup, no never again.

The thing made about 80hp, so even me driving by myself, it was rolling the dice every time I got on the interstate.

Mileage still sucked.

It would pull a small trailer short distances, but again, it was base utility. It could do it, but it sucked. Like having FJB as president.

If you made that truck with a 130 - 140hp package, it might be more popular, and if you change the gearing and frame for better mileage, you lose towing.

Might as well go buy a japanese mini truck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a Bronco.  They are much smaller than you would expect.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Because the market has spoken and little trucks aren’t in demand.
View Quote

Partly.  CAFE and crash safety standards mean small trucks cost and weigh close to the same as half ton trucks, and the perceived value isn’t there.  Cheap gas removed the main operating cost incentive, so they’ve been dead for awhile.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's kind of the point of the OP's thread though.  It's not actually a small truck.  If you google the dimensions of your Canyon and then the dimensions of an old Ford or Chevy pickup from the 80s or 90s, you didn't buy small truck.  You bought a 1/2 ton pickup truck.

I bet if you got in my old old Colorado you would think it was a toy (and old rangers are a lot smaller than my Colorado), but it's exactly what I need and what I want, for my uses.  You just can't find them anymore .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I know the "small" trucks of today are pretty much the same size as "standard" trucks of yesterday.
My last truck was a Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison crew cab, so... this Canyon is tiny to me.

I know. You are correct.
I'm not arguing any of your points.

I miss my '87 Toyota P/U I had back in the day. Probably the best truck I ever owned.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get out of here with that logic.
View Quote

While partly true, this thinking ignores the .gov meddling in the market.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think there's a huge market for an affordable small pickup truck with not many amenities. A basic bitch if you will. Priced starting around 25-30k for bottom tier.

But then who would buy all those 60k+ trucks they keep pumping out?
View Quote

Ford is pretty much only taking customer orders for their entire production capacity on Maverick for the last two years, no retail stock orders......if you see one on a lot for sale, it is because the person that ordered it passed on it....so there is some demand out there for sure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Honda ridgeline
View Quote

No you didn't...
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Taking the newer trucks on forest and desert roads is ridiculous as well. Way easier to get through many of the unmanaged roads in a smaller vehicle. New trucks are like trying to maneuver a bus through obstacles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Tacomas are pretty damn small.

Does OP represent the lollipop guild?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#22]

3/4 and 1-tons are the thinking man’s truck.  The nancies that don’t get it think it has something to do with a penis,  because they think about penis 24/7 they make bad truck buying decisions.  You will notice this when you pass them. They’re left lane camping, trying to hypermile and get over 15mpg in their tiny Tacomas.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same reason they don't make cheap econobox cars anymore. Government regulations and buyer tastes. You might think there must be a market for vehicles like that, but there's not. You make a small simple truck, and everyone's first reaction is "But why, for $5k more you can get into a mid-range F150 that'll carry that little thing in it's bed."

Look into the thread about cheap economy cars here and most responses are "Why not just buy this larger, comfier, fancier, Toyota/Honda/Lexus used for the same price instead." People always want more shit, they might not always want to pay for it, but if they can be convinced that they're getting a great deal on it, well, why not go for more?

And most working types realized that if they need something smaller than a full size truck, they're probably better served with a small van.
View Quote

Those small vans are awful. I last drove one in 2013. I am short. I had to have seat all the way back and at a right angle to drive the POS. Several techs couldn't drive the things at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]
For city or town driving? Why not a Subaru Baja?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Is that street legal?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think it's more to do with the people buying new vehicles. Same reason why automatic transmissions reign supreme even though there's demand for them on the used side of things.

Only sales of new vehicles influence the manufacturer decisions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 out of 10 people who say they would buy a new small truck are lying and you can get that last guy to settle for a medium truck anyways.

I think it's more to do with the people buying new vehicles. Same reason why automatic transmissions reign supreme even though there's demand for them on the used side of things.

Only sales of new vehicles influence the manufacturer decisions.

That’s just another way of saying the overall demand for those features isn’t there.  If it was, people wouldn’t have stopped buying new vehicles with those features.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Used to see a few of these around town. Haven't noticed one for a while.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Next you're going to tell me that a half ton with vinyl floor, cloth seats, roll up windows, manual locks, manual transmission, and manual locking hubs wouldn't sell like hotcakes either
View Quote

4X4? Put in air conditioning and a V8, and I want one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#30]
"muh market resurch"

The used market for older (smol) frontiers and tacomas is extremely competitive.

So I imported a Hilux.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not have an apple to apple comparison (17 was king cab and 6' bed vs 22 w crew cab and 4' bed) but suffice it to say that there are more dimensions than over all length.  I'd say it's about 2-3 inches higher and the over all shape makes it noticeably harder to drive.

My new Nisan next to a buddies old one
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's just another way of saying the overall demand for those features isn't there.  If it was, people wouldn't have stopped buying new vehicles with those features.
View Quote
Then tell me why when I just googled "What is the current wait time for a Ford Maverick", the first response is:

"Demand for the Ford Maverick is extremely high. Right now, the wait time for this truck is between five and eight months. That's a long time to wait for a small pickup. Before you ever get your Maverick, it might be time for the 2024 model."

and

"Now, thanks to FoMoCo's September sales report, we know exactly how many new orders it received for the 2023 Ford Maverick. That number is an astounding 86,000 units   which is even more impressive considering order banks were open for a mere seven days."

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Used to be a bunch of Chevy Luvs around too.  They were small.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or the currently produced and available Ford Maverick.
View Quote
I really like mine. You could also check out the Hyundai Santa Cruz.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I want Subaru to make a new Baja/Brat on an an Ascent frame.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#37]
   Taco?    

Short beds are available on ALL makes and models.  

Do you mean small, and cheap?  

Maveric?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Purchased a 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz a year ago and don't regret it.  I needed a small truck to get minor things from Home Depot/Lowes, trash to the dump, and toss a deer in during hunting season.  The SC has done all three so far. Just don't buy the stand SE model.  Get the SEL with Activity Package.  I have avoided the upper two models with the turbo engine due to the transmission issues they appear to have.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Then tell me why when I just googled "What is the current wait time for a Ford Maverick", the first response is:

"Demand for the Ford Maverick is extremely high. Right now, the wait time for this truck is between five and eight months. That's a long time to wait for a small pickup. Before you ever get your Maverick, it might be time for the 2024 model."

and

"Now, thanks to FoMoCo's September sales report, we know exactly how many new orders it received for the 2023 Ford Maverick. That number is an astounding 86,000 units   which is even more impressive considering order banks were open for a mere seven days."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just another way of saying the overall demand for those features isn't there.  If it was, people wouldn't have stopped buying new vehicles with those features.

and

That’s a current production vehicle, making it irrelevant to the scenario posited in the post I quoted.  The claim I was addressing was “there’s demand for x in the used market, but not the new market.”  It doesn’t really matter what “x” is.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Two three string bales (100lbs) each.   I could fit four easily if I wanted to tie them down.

750lbs of feed.
It's more like a car with a truck appearance package than a truck, but it'll do everything I need it to except tow my tractor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#42]
This is what OP wants but probably still too big. Too bad they don’t make them anymore.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get out of here with that logic.

True, .gov meddling with mandatory safety features and mileage averages have had their hand in dooming the small, inexpensive basic truck concept but the demand for features and comforts by consumers also has a large part in it too.

Nobody (except a few outliers) would buy something like a modern take on a 1985 era Toyota standard cab PU with a manual transmission, a low horse power 4 cylinder engine, a bench seat and maybe AC. Pickup truck owners have evolved and want all the features of a luxury car wrapped up in a pick truck package.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
And I guess by small I mean primarily shorter.  There are millions of people that use trucks primarily in towns and cities for painting, small landscaping/gardening, and a hundred other businesses  that don't need a truck THAT CAN TOW 18,000 LBS, DRIVE THROUGH 3 FEET OF MUD, ILUMINATE YOUR SECOND STORY BEDROOMS DURING POWER OUTAGES, HAS AN AUTO DEPLOY STEPLADDER FOR EASY ACCESS, SPATTER GUARD FOR UNSEEN PEDESTRIANS, AND LIMITED TO THREE ON THE SAME SIDE OF GUAM AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

I just think that there has to be a market for something smaller.  Even trucks like the Ranger are now monstrosities.
View Quote

They seem to drive vans
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Because small trucks suck.

I had an S-10 once.  For like 6 months.  They’re not as useful as a big truck, and are better replaced with minivans and small SUVs.  

I think the 1/2 ton as the smallest truck is the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Hyundai Santa Cruz

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#48]
People don’t think Ford Mavericks be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I have been on the waiting list for a Maverick since the day the order window opened in September.

I ordered a hybrid, so I'm at the bottom of the list.  

I've already bought an Accord while waiting, so I'm not sure I'll even take it when it arrives.

CarMax already told me they would give me at least $5k over my cost for it, so they could resell it for $10k over cost.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Because small trucks suck.

I had an S-10 once.  For like 6 months.  They’re not as useful as a big truck, and are better replaced with minivans and small SUVs.  

I think the 1/2 ton as the smallest truck is the sweet spot.
View Quote

I had a 98 Dakota, V8, 4x4 extended cab. I loved that truck.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top