Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
How difficult is it to make a boring S10 with a V6 and a 5speed? It's not like they melted down the forms for the parts.

I like what I like. I'd buy a new one in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My dad had one of those for awhile, they didn't survive very long in Maine with winters and road salt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My dad had one of those for awhile, they didn't survive very long in Maine with winters and road salt.

That’s one of the biggest gripes I have is that a lot of this stuff existed and sold fine but it rotted away. I’m lucky to see a bunch of old stuff here but back in Alaska we had stuff that was 10 years old and rotten with rust.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell your government to get out of the automobile business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 1989 Toyota pickup. It's what a mini truck should be.
View Quote
Agreed

I do like my 23 Tacoma better.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nissan has been making the Frontier for about 100 years now.
View Quote

This
The new ones grew to Ranger size, but the older ones, especially the half door ones(6ft bed) are not big.
The maverick is a slow expensive POS.  But it's small.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How difficult is it to make a boring S10 with a V6 and a 5speed? It's not like they melted down the forms for the parts.

View Quote

Manuals are dead.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Buy a Kei truck.
View Quote
You can't.   I want to, and would in a heartbeat, but you can only register 1995 and older models.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree completely; it's a damn shame.    The old S-10 and Ranger mini-pickups were great.
Every damn model of every car and truck is a little bit bigger than the previous year's model.
We drive a 10 year old CRV.  New ones are considerably bigger.
The Honda Civic was a nice little car in the 80s.   Now it's just another generic car, much bigger.
And even the full size pickups now are shit - 4 doors, with resulting shorter beds and/or the turning radius of an 18-wheeler.
And of course all the government nanny-control electronics.
I stick with my old vehicles.
My S-10 won't pass inspection any more, but I keep driving it anyway.   If I replace it., I will probably go down south & get one that isn't rusted into oblivion.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rangers are now the size of older f150s.
View Quote
THIS
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#10]
The BED is what's small
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The vehicle was discontinued in the US in 2004 tooling sent to Brazil where production ended in 2012.

Do you honestly think that the tooling hasn't been scrapped in the preceeding 11 years? Manufacturers don't have endless warehouse space to store obsolete equipment and have  dozens of employees on staff to track the location of and maintain said tooling for an indefinite period of time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This
The new ones grew to Ranger size, but the older ones, especially the half door ones(6ft bed) are not big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nissan has been making the Frontier for about 100 years now.

This

Slow and expensive compared to what?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
YEP!
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#14]
You mean like the good old S-10? I loved that thing, perfect for the average suburban homeowner with a wooded lot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:05:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m seeing lots of old 80-90 small pickup trucks on the road now. Some looks like they have been parked for years and now they are in use again
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
A similar question might be "Why does everyone now have to have a FOUR DOOR pickup truck?"
That alone is driving the crap that's now available.
It's probably because they have become so damn expensive that one truck has to be the "stuff" hauler and also has to stand in as the family hauler, too.
All pickups used to be 2 doors.   Then they added the little mini 1/4 door for ease in getting stuff behind the seat.
Then the half door, and now four full-size friggin doors.
What used to be the "crew cab" for those hauling a construction crew around are now the norm.
And the bigger the doors, the smaller the bed.
Beds used to be 8x4 for hauling a shoot of plywood.  Or a motorcycle with the gate up.
No more.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I picked up a gen1 Isuzu Trooper to use in Gambler500 events, and I enjoy the shit out of daily driving it around. (Already have a 2500 for “truck stuff”.  

The truck market you seek is gone. Roll the calendar back to 2000, and start shopping backwards from there.

The root answer to your question likely comes back to ever increasing federal crash standards.
View Quote

This is where I am at.  Probably about 7+ years ago I was in a dealer getting my Nissan D21 fixed for a safety recall and a guy next to me said I wish they still made trucks like that, an engineer standing in the area answered due to crash standards it would weigh just as much as a full size truck. In some respect space..aka "size".... is your friend when designing crumple zones that will save the passengers.

I love what I call mini trucks.....sad to see them pretty much gone.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know the "small" trucks of today are pretty much the same size as "standard" trucks of yesterday.
My last truck was a Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison crew cab, so... this Canyon is tiny to me.
View Quote

A new F-150 dwarfs my 2003 Ram 3500 dually.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Partly.  CAFE and crash safety standards mean small trucks cost and weigh close to the same as half ton trucks, and the perceived value isn't there.  Cheap gas removed the main operating cost incentive, so they've been dead for awhile.
View Quote
Yep, the goddamn government controlling every aspect of our lives.
Toilets that don't flush, "leak-proof" gas cans that do nothing but leak, anything the government is involved, everything goes to hell.
There are lots of great little foreign vehicles in other countries, but we'll never see any of them, due to Uncle Sam and his nannies.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Manuals are dead.
View Quote

Quoted:

The vehicle was discontinued in the US in 2004 tooling sent to Brazil where production ended in 2012.

Do you honestly think that the tooling hasn't been scrapped in the preceeding 11 years? Manufacturers don't have endless warehouse space to store obsolete equipment and have  dozens of employees on staff to track the location of and maintain said tooling for an indefinite period of time.
View Quote

Y'all are killing me. ??
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Is that street legal?
View All Quotes
No, it is not.  Not if it's newer than 1995.   I know - I've looked into it a lot for several years
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I have to laugh at all the people posting pictures of their FOUR DOOR pickup truck and saying "but this is small"
No, it AIN'T SMALL.  The only thing small is the bed!
A four-door pickup, by definition, is not small.
And unless you have a family or work crew to haul around with your lumber, etc in the back, why the hell does everyone want (or accept) a four-door pickup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Maverick is 6 inches longer,  7 inches wider, and about 7 inches taller.

It's bigger but not by much.  Then considering the crew cab and you've got a truck about as small as you can get built from current year designs.

But yes I too want something like this to make a come back.

https://images.classic.com/vehicles/61564f2b8f2bebd4af4671b7b05882bec21413dd.jpeg?auto=format&fit=crop&ar=16:9&w=672&h=576
View Quote

Too bad import taxes ruined the import 4 door trucks back in the day.......you have to find a Mexican resident to bring it across and sell it to get one here legally....  This is the same reason the 2 door 4-runners and pathfinders were killed off in 1989.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Manuals are dead.
View Quote

I bought a manual in 2004, they had about 100 cars of that model on the lot and only two manuals.  They had to shuffle several cars to get to the ones with a manual parked out back by the dumpster.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

You and like three other people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Same reason they don't make cheap econobox cars anymore. Government regulations and buyer tastes. You might think there must be a market for vehicles like that, but there's not. You make a small simple truck, and everyone's first reaction is "But why, for $5k more you can get into a mid-range F150 that'll carry that little thing in it's bed."

Look into the thread about cheap economy cars here and most responses are "Why not just buy this larger, comfier, fancier, Toyota/Honda/Lexus used for the same price instead." People always want more shit, they might not always want to pay for it, but if they can be convinced that they're getting a great deal on it, well, why not go for more?

And most working types realized that if they need something smaller than a full size truck, they're probably better served with a small van.
View Quote

Then why is my 04 Tacoma still worth a shit ton of money?
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

9 out of 10 people who say they would buy a new small truck are lying and you can get that last guy to settle for a medium truck anyways.
View Quote

Old story.  Ford asked people what type car they wanted and built the Edsel.
Then Ford asked what type of car their neighbor wanted and built the Mustang.
AKA people lie and are ful of self delusions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And I guess by small I mean primarily shorter.  There are millions of people that use trucks primarily in towns and cities for painting, small landscaping/gardening, and a hundred other businesses  that don't need a truck THAT CAN TOW 18,000 LBS, DRIVE THROUGH 3 FEET OF MUD, ILUMINATE YOUR SECOND STORY BEDROOMS DURING POWER OUTAGES, HAS AN AUTO DEPLOY STEPLADDER FOR EASY ACCESS, SPATTER GUARD FOR UNSEEN PEDESTRIANS, AND LIMITED TO THREE ON THE SAME SIDE OF GUAM AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

I just think that there has to be a market for something smaller.  Even trucks like the Ranger are now monstrosities.
View Quote

Contemporary pickups are more or less:

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Then why is my 04 Tacoma still worth a shit ton of money?
View Quote

Because of enthusiasts.  The used vehicle market is not the new vehicle market.

Hell many vehicles that sold poorly new are now sought after.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:58:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It can' t be more fuel efficient to have a giant truck.
View Quote

Its not.  

But its all about those emissions.  Less emissions means more exhaust/electronics/sensors/engine bits, which needs space and adds weight.  Add in all the BS safety crap that's required nowadays, and its shocking that they can cram it all into the vehicle sizes we're at now........
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A similar question might be "Why does everyone now have to have a FOUR DOOR pickup truck?"

View Quote

The target demographic for sales is women.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#33]
A current half ton Chevy or Ford pickup is bigger than my '90 1 ton Chevy 3500.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A current half ton Chevy or Ford pickup is bigger than my '90 1 ton Chevy 3500.
View Quote

It's about 10 inches taller. Thats it. Full size pickups have been 76-78" wide since at least the 1960's. Length depends on cab and bed configuration the same as it always has.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm actually surprised Toyota didn't make a single cab like this.  This one is a custom-job

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:13:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'm actually surprised Toyota didn't make a single cab like this.  This one is a custom-job

View Quote

Because different cab configurations cost money. Toyota decided the small numbers of sales wasn't worth the cost. Those customers can go to another brand because Toyota doesn't want them. The domestic brands still hold onto single cabs because they are much more heavily involved in fleet sales where the majority of the demand is for that configuration.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 3:35:43 AM EDT
[#37]
They do. Just not for the US market.

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I dont know much about the Ford Maverick, but they seem to be very popular these days.  Not sure what they can tow, but last evening my wife and I were on the interstate heading to meet my son and his family and I was driving 78 and a Ford Maverick passed us towing a 6' x 10' trailer loaded down with a ZTR mower and some lumber, caught me by surprise.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#39]
My grandpa had a Isuzu pickup back in the day. I loved that little truck.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Next you're going to tell me that a half ton with vinyl floor, cloth seats, roll up windows, manual locks, manual transmission, and manual locking hubs wouldn't sell like hotcakes either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 out of 10 people who say they would buy a new small truck are lying and you can get that last guy to settle for a medium truck anyways.

Next you're going to tell me that a half ton with vinyl floor, cloth seats, roll up windows, manual locks, manual transmission, and manual locking hubs wouldn't sell like hotcakes either

It’s not that the market won’t support a truck like this, it’s because the profit margin is not big enough for the manufacturers.
GM killed the W/T package because they were only making $5K per unit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Tacoma is the same size Tundra was 20 years ago. There isn't anything like the older Tacoma.
View Quote

My neighbor traded in his '97 Tacoma on a new Chevy pick-up and I could have shot him as that Tacoma had like 60,000 miles on it and I'm sure the dealer gave him next to nothing on it for trade. I'd have bought his Tacoma in a NY minute. My 2015 Tacoma fits down tractor paths deep in the woods another neighbor lets me cut up firewood as loggers from 6 years ago left tree tops and branches in his woods. Neighbors late father used to tap maples in the woods and made all those paths by pulling a fibreglass tank on a utility trailor behind his tractor. I think a full size F150 or Tundra would get all scraped and scratched up on those paths. Love my Tacoma!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
THIS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rangers are now the size of older f150s.
THIS

From the side they are as big as my 2000 Z71. From the back or front they are a bit thinner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why is it "not a truck"?
View Quote

Its not body on frame...

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I dont know much about the Ford Maverick, but they seem to be very popular these days.  Not sure what they can tow, but last evening my wife and I were on the interstate heading to meet my son and his family and I was driving 78 and a Ford Maverick passed us towing a 6' x 10' trailer loaded down with a ZTR mower and some lumber, caught me by surprise.
View Quote

4,000 if you have the ecoboost with the towing package.  250 horsepower and 277 pounds-feet of torque.....I think my 1992 half ton had less horsepower and only 300 ft of torque...

Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Tacoma is too big. Ridgeline is too small. Maybe you're just a little too picky.
View Quote
Fiat Goldilocks is just right
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 6:11:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maverick is a cool little vehicle but it is not a truck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/E464XZTSxWM/maxresdefault.jpg

Ford Maverick is what you're looking for. It's the one on the far left.

Maverick is a cool little vehicle but it is not a truck

Pickups in general barely qualify as trucks, this is like a man with a 3” dick laughing at a guy with a 2.5” dick.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

FWD hybrid Maverick is rated for 2k lbs tow capacity.  The ICE version with AWD and tow package is rated for 4k.  That suits my needs for the daily driver / motorcycle / atv trailer puller.  If I need more I'll fire up the dually.  

The Maverick is exactly what I want.  A MPG champion with 4 doors to haul the kids, inexpensive, and a useful enough bed for most of my dirty / stinky random daily needs.  A CRV with a bed
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top