Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It sucks that he's an anti Trumper.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He pretty much sucks.  Boring same old thing in every movie but apparently that's what people want to see.  
View Quote
The same could be said about John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and others.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It sucks that he's an anti Trumper.
View Quote
He HATES whitey.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#4]
English mutha fucka do you speak it ?
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
not by me he's not
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He pretty much sucks.  Boring same old thing in every movie but apparently that's what people want to see.  
Black version of Clint, minus the auteur chops; I can see that as a valid comparison (at least, I'm not aware of Jackson ever writing/directing anything)
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought he was one of the few redeeming qualities of the prequels other than memes. He was going to straight merc the chancellor, that's pretty hardcore for a jedi.
View Quote
This.

My teenage son and I were talking about how bad The Last Jedi was and how we would fix it. (There is lot to fix).

One idea we came up with was when Snoke's in his throne room to have him whip out a purple lightsaber and say, "This party's over MOTHERFUCKERS!".

I think the audience would have collectively lost their shit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The same reason Pacino is.

Because he can yell all of his lines.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because they deserve to die and i hope they burn in hell!
View Quote
That one.
Pre trendy motherfucker he was a good actor.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've always wondered the same thing about Nicholas Cage, and he's not even black. He plays Nick Cage in every movie and yet there he is in leading roles he should never be in.
View Quote
Not anymore.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like SLJ as an actor, I think he's really likeable and he's been in a LOT of amazing movies that I'm a fan of.

And yes, he owns the rights to "Mothafucka!"

But when he starts sounding lefty I weep a little bit.
View Quote
Yeah sometimes you have to separate someones views from their body of work.  Otherwise few of us would ever support SLJ.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Never been lead actor material IMO. Any trailer I see with SLJ in it is an instant turnoff. I don’t think that guy turns down any acting job.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:23:36 AM EDT
[#13]
He's been resting on his laurels from Pulp Fiction for too long.

He's a one-trick pony: all screaming, all the time.

To be fair, though, he did try something different in the first Kingsmen movie. Unfortunately, it was awful.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
His range as an actor peaked in the movie Coming to America
View Quote
He was excellent in Django and Black Snake Moan. He can really get into characters within a certain spectrum of “Black American.” For those, though, he effectively charged how he talked, even how he stood and walked. As such, he has far more range than an Arnold Schwarzenegger’s, Sylvester Stallone type, but lacks the chops of those Brits and Aussies that we don’t even realize are Brits or Aussies until we catch them on a talk show.

His lisping super villain in The Kingsman was his best effort to reach further, but he still came across as Samuel L. Jackson with a lisp.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I think to of his better "acting" movies was Djano and Black snake moan.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Liked "Jackie Brown" role.  Killed DeNiro and then he dies in the end.  Hates WHITEY but loves WHITEY'S MONEY!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Stacks Calhoun
View Quote
Edwards, not Calhoun
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
While I agree OP, Black Snake Moan seemed out of his usual charactor
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#19]
because he's so authentically "black".
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Hardest working motherfucker in Hollywood.

He has stated in interviews that he wanted to be the highest grossing actor of all time and he currently is by a decent margin.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
. He was going to straight merc the chancellor, that's pretty hardcore for a jedi.
View Quote
Not really.  Palpatine was sith.  Jedi kill sith.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#22]
He was great in Shawshank Redemption and The Equalizer.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Americans love psychopaths
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
He is literally the same exact character in every movie he's in. He has the same
mannerisms, tone and mechanical delivery of his lines, without any change.

Sometimes it works (such as Pulp Fiction), but most of the time he seems so out of place and out of
context for the movie (such as Star Wars).
Why is he so revered as an actor?
View Quote
He can’t act and the scowl grows old. There are only a few good actors regardless of race.

Portier, Freeman, Washington, Glover, and Smith are some of the better black actors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Honestly, it is becauae he rarely turns down work. He is in a ton of films because he likes money and that got him recognized in the industry.

Aa for lack of acting skills. John Wayne, Sean Connery, Nicholas Cage, etc.... they all play themselves. People watch films for two reasons.

1. To see some actors do amazing roles. Gary Oldman for example is deep when it comes to acting.

2. To see some actors that play themselves do roles that are entertaining. Arnold Schwarzenegger for example.
View Quote
+1

I just watched The Hitman’s Bodyguard and it was very entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most actors tend to play the same roll because that's what most of their fans want to see them play
Even actors that play different type roles will display some of the same mannerisms. Tom Hanks comes to mind
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most actors tend to play the same roll because that's what most of their fans want to see them play
Even actors that play different type roles will display some of the same mannerisms. Tom Hanks comes to mind
Jim Carey too. However he's gone so far off the deep end, no one wants to see his one-note act.
Quoted:

There are plenty of great character actors in Hollywood. Sam Rockwell comes to mind.
Yep.  He's so notorious for it, they pretty much "hung a lampshade on it" in Galaxy Quest.

Also Gary Oldman comes to mind too.  Cos when I see him in Harry Potter I'm NOT thinking "Oh hey there's Commissioner Gordon" or "Wow, isn't that Mozart?" or even "EVERYONE!!!"  I'm thinking, "That's Sirius Black!"
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've always wondered the same thing about Nicholas Cage, and he's not even black. He plays Nick Cage in every movie and yet there he is in leading roles he should never be in. Now, when the role calls for Nick Cage, he's very good, but when it doesn't, which is much of the time, he's awful.
View Quote
I would put Depp in the same category. Only problem, I can’t stand him as a person or actor.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I would put Depp in the same category. Only problem, I can’t stand him as a person or actor.
View Quote
Not anymore.  Old Depp maybe, but ever since he pretty much became "the other Mrs. Tim Burton/Pirate" he's no longer the "lost-in-the-character" kind of actor.  I mean face it, his "Tonto" was pretty much just "Captain Jack with white paint on his face"
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He is literally the same exact character in every movie he's in. He has the same

Sometimes it works (such as Pulp Fiction), but most of the time he seems so out of place and out of
View Quote
so does tom cruise, keanu reaves, & jack nicolson- whst's your point.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Because he talks............Like THIS  !!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Samuel L Jackson has stated multiple times that there is ine role he will turn down..... kissing a man.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Because he brings in money, the language everyone speaks.
View Quote
If you rank actors by the money their movies made, he's one of the top money making actors in history.
He's been in a few major blockbuster movies.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#34]
The wallet used in the movie was Tarantino’s personal wallet.

So was Vince Vega’s convertible. It was stolen while they were making the movie and wasn’t recovered until about 4 or 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Wayne and Clint Eastwood are a bit different to me. It's subtle, but people go to a John Wayne or Clint Eastwood movie. They also go to movies that SLJ is in. I don't think of movies as a SLJ movie, but as a movie which has him as an actor. JW and CE were bigger than the movies they were in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#36]
I liked him as Mr. Glass in Unbreakable. One of the few movies he steps outside who he is.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I thought he was one of the few redeeming qualities of the prequels other than memes. He was going to straight merc the chancellor, that's pretty hardcore for a jedi.
View Quote
Um, that’s a credit to the writers rather than to him. Unless he wrote his own story arc.

He suffers from the same issue that most older actors suffer from. He’s typecast as himself. It’s the same way with Pacino, Dinero and Nicholson.

They have some variety and subtlety to their roles as up-and-comers. Then they have a defining role which sets the expectation for who they are. So then they get a lot of roles where that type of character is wanted, which further cements the persona. And they get paid well for it, so why pass on those roles?Pretty soon, that’s all they are ever expected to be, even as the size of the roles diminish.

I think they all could, and would probably enjoy, stretching their acting chops to do something different. But it’s risky. As soon as you lose the mojo (due to one too many flops), the phone stops ringing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#38]
He’s a shitty actor, but his generic character is loved for a great motherfucking reason.  Americans fucking love a motherfucking rare steak and angry stars.
Motherfucker!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Because he's black.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 1:17:03 AM EDT
[#40]
His performance in last king of Scotland was 10/10 imo
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#41]
I wouldn’t describe Sam as a great actor. You know what your going to get with him. His range though is questionable.
Of late, Jake Glyennhaal has been decent. He was a weirdo in “Nightcrawler”, hero cop in “End of Watch”, and punchy boxer in “Southpaw”.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Wwwhy are you yelling?

SLJ is like Tarantino films and greasy pizza for me.  I know that they're horrible and that they won't do anything positive for me, but I enjoy them anyhow.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think he sucks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Don't Talk PSA | Samuel L. Jackson | Alamo Drafthouse
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I wondered the same thing often.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I loved him in die hard with a vengeance, made the movie more fun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Waste the motherfuckers!
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Why single him out? There are really too many actors to list in that same category.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top