Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#1]
They are large heavy 9mm handguns that have the ergo's of a club.
unless you are running a suppressor because they have a fixed barrel whats to like about them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

unless you are running a suppressor because they have a fixed barrel whats to like about them.
View Quote
derp derp derp

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not very good for conceal carry

Better options are out there for home defense, duty, and competitive guns.

It's a doublestack P-38.  So it's a 1940's pistol stuck In the 1980's

That doesn't mean it needs to be hated.  It is attractive, well built, reliable, accurate,
And very easy to shoot.  It does t need to be hated, but it kind of has called by the wayside.   Like many guns in this area, if you like it, and are willing to train around it, buy it and carry it.   You could do far worse.

In 20 years when DOD adopts the 226 which by that time will be a 40 year old design as well, everyone will be all about the "retro" 92
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Because it has a manual safety.  At some point years ago, when everything firearm relate became "tactical, match grade, and mil-spec", and when all shooters became "operators", manual safeties fell out of fashion.  Now that everyone is high speed low drag, it's apparently okay to suffer the occasional accidental discharge because we just can't get slowed down with manual safeties.  

I don't know how long arfcom archives threads, but if you've been keeping score over the years, almost every accidental/negligent discharge from a sidearm involves a plastic piece that doesn't have a manual safety.  It's yet another reason I adore 3rd gen Smiths.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is an all steel model Beretta.  Perhaps this guy only has experience with that one.  Tread lightly fellas... things like this is why people hate GD.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
3rd fav  right behind the high power.

most hate on the mags yet the cx4 storms are reliable as heck

for the capacity and caliber it is too big and too heavy but it is also all steel and that hurts the arf love of plastic crap pistols.

Well, we can disregard any more nonsense from you on this topic.

yep

There is an all steel model Beretta.  Perhaps this guy only has experience with that one.  Tread lightly fellas... things like this is why people hate GD.

And they are exceedingly rare, highly prized and seldom shot by collectors, and quite expensive even when new.

I'm going to assume that he doesn't know what he is talking about.    You are suggesting the equivalent of someone firing a Sig X5 and using that as baseline for all Sigs.  It's a common mistake actually.   Look at gunbroker descriptions for 92 inox.  "All stainless steel"
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only people I ever meet that like them, have never carried them outside civilian life or have never carried a real and reliable gun to know better.
View Quote

At my range, the fudds LOVE their beretta 92's

Their comments, vetbatim:

"So SMOOOOOTh"

"It takes 17 rounds, but I only load 10, don't want to be tempted to go
On some crazy chootin spree"

"It's the SMOOOOTHEST handgun Eva made!"

"So smOOoOoooooth"

"Eye-tall-in engineerin!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yup I have small hands.  I have shot bad guys before.  Tell me more of your exploits and what you have done with your big ole sausage fingers.

We have women who have to carry that gun.  Even with it being a 9mm the huge size makes it very hard for those who are not of the right fit.  

I would take my smith and wessons any day.  I would take 20 other guns to a fight than the m9 including the 1911 over and over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only people who hate the 92fs have small, girly hands.

yup I have small hands.  I have shot bad guys before.  Tell me more of your exploits and what you have done with your big ole sausage fingers.

We have women who have to carry that gun.  Even with it being a 9mm the huge size makes it very hard for those who are not of the right fit.  

I would take my smith and wessons any day.  I would take 20 other guns to a fight than the m9 including the 1911 over and over.

For some strange reason, people with small hands tend to do VERY well with the 92fs/M9.   It's counterintuitive, but it's true.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:32:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine..  I have an old 92FS and a 92 Vertec...  frickin sweet pistols.

I have 1911s, Glocks and a couple of CZ's now..   I like guns.

Berrettas are good shit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its not a Glock or 1911?
View Quote

It's not a P226.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've bought and sold two of em... (Dad has 3 of em now.)
I dislike the slide mounted safety/decocker, but i can work around it.
What kills it for me is that, somehow, i can get them to stovepipe pretty damn regularly.... Open top slide and I can stovepipe.. 1911's, CZ75 and BHP I don't have that issue with.  Odd.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Old guys hate it because it replaced the 1911.

Young guys hate it because its not plastic.

Manly men hate it because its 9mm.

Girly men hate it because the grip is too big.

SIG guys hate it because it won the M9 trials (or was awarded the contract anyways ).

Ex- MIL hate it because the one they were issued was worn out with shitty mags.

Concealed carry guys think its too big.

Target shooters hate the sights.

Paranoid types are afraid someone will jerk the slide off their gun.

Personally I like it, not my favorite pistol but I'd trust it to get the job done.
View Quote

Lol this
I for got about the slide release shit that works in the movies.  Someone seriously told me that at the range early in my shooting career.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Berrettas are good shit.
View Quote

I can't figure out why beretta stopped making the good versions of the 92FS.

I guess they needed the production capacity for their shitty polymer guns.  90-two lol what a turd
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Although not my bag the Beretta 92's I dicked around with were all right for what they were.

Every M9 I ever packed I can deal with the goofy slide mounted de cocker but they never shot worth a crap.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you every eaten Italian steel yet?

The 92 is not a bad gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For some strange reason, people with small hands tend to do VERY well with the 92fs/M9.   It's counterintuitive, but it's true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having spent a lot of time on the line coaching and instructing (many new shooters) with the M9, I mostly agree.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Skipped over 3 pages of horse shit.  I like mine. shrug.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I guess they needed the production capacity for their shitty polymer guns.  90-two lol what a turd
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Berrettas are good shit.

I hear ya there.. a freind got a new one and it has a plastic trigger and plastic guide rod...  I was stunned.   Damn shame.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#18]
It was the 3rd or 4th semi-auto centerfire I have ever used.

I prefer the Sig or Glock series for 9mm.

1911 for .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

derp derp derp  

They are large.

The barrel does not articulate down and back like most locked breach handguns

this makes it more suppressor friendly.

75% of the population will tell ya the grip sucks butt on them.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hear ya there.. a freind got a new one and it has a plastic trigger and plastic guide rod...  I was stunned.   Damn shame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Berrettas are good shit.

The nice thing about the guide rod is it doesn't bend. While some numbskull will always manage to drop or hit the guide rod with the slide locked back, it's not the big problem it is with the metal one.

In my experience, the plastic guide rod is an improvement. The plastic trigger I don't give two shits about because it neither hurts nor helps the gun. About all it does is cut down on manufacturing costs
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I seen that thing Bruce Lee did to one in that Die Hard movie...I can't afford that kind of vulnerability.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Junk.  I can't think of a worse Wondernine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
My hands are the size of a teenage girls,I love the M9-92FS.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't hate 'em, but they're pretty far down my list when it comes to wonder-nines - the 75B, P226, BHP, and G19 are all better pistols, IMO...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Both of these guns can kill a field mouse dead at 20 yards first shot, but it's barely slightly easier to do it with the Beretta.

View Quote
Nice.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's not a P226.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its not a Glock or 1911?

It's not a P226.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, back when Christ was a Corporal, and mil had just selected the M9 (92F), I took a look, and decided it was a bit... large for a 9mm, so I bought a 92FC.   I was prepared to be disappointed, but I was pleasantly surprised when it shot dead-on accurate and reliably right out of the box.  That said, I still don't like the DA first shot - the trigger is just too heavy.  Thumb back the hammer, problem solved.

Now, there were a lot of complaints from the guys who shoot a lot for a living - especially the slide breaking.  To the point where there was a saying that "You're not a SEAL 'til you eat Italian steel."
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bull Fucking Shit

Out of the XM9 Trials the Beretta 92FS, FN GP35, and Sig P226 are the only contenders still in production. The only other wondernine at the time that would have been "better" was the Glock 17 which would have been impossible due to the XM9's Specs.

In 1984 the cutting edge of military handguns was either the 92F or the P226. There are a lot of better choices today, but to say the 92FS is junk is laughable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bull Fucking Shit

Out of the XM9 Trials the Beretta 92FS, FN GP35, and Sig P226 are the only contenders still in production. The only other wondernine at the time that would have been "better" was the Glock 17 which would have been impossible due to the XM9's Specs.

In 1984 the cutting edge of military handguns was either the 92F or the P226. There are a lot of better choices today, but to say the 92FS is junk is laughable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull Fucking Shit

Whatever, rigged/staged tests were rigged. 92F is ok at best and laughable at worst, which seems to be the case with every other one produced.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:17:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Best handgun ever
View Quote

13ers are crazy.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Whatever, rigged/staged tests were rigged. 92F is ok at best and laughable at worst which seems to be the case with every other one produced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull Fucking Shit

Whatever, rigged/staged tests were rigged. 92F is ok at best and laughable at worst which seems to be the case with every other one produced.

Whatever

Read this first before engaging mouth.

Point is this. The 92F was great then, and is better today with all the upgrades Beretta has incorporated. Its a fucking world class pistol, has been proven in combat and has even been licensed/copied.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Whatever

Point is this. The 92F was great then, and is better today with all the upgrades Beretta has incorporated. Its a fucking world class pistol, has been proven in combat and has even been licensed/copied.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bull Fucking Shit

Whatever

I'm sure the 92F is fine if you want bottom of the bucket.  Glock, HK, Sig and especially CZ are its masters now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it wasn't for Die Hard and Lethal Weapon most people would have never bought one.

Even the Taurus 'version' is better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

So many parts for just a 9 mm.  It's also very bulky.  What does it do that the CZ-75, BHP or any other 9 mm pistol can't do?
View Quote
carries 15 or more rounds.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many parts for just a 9 mm.  It's also very bulky.  What does it do that the CZ-75, BHP or any other 9 mm pistol can't do?

I have a Steyr GB that holds 18 rounds with a fixed barrel and hardly any parts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Bulky and controls on the slide instead of on the frame. At least, those are two of the things those who hate it bitch about. Me, I like the gun.

By the way, where the hell are the pictures?
View Quote

Before the "wonder 9's" became all the rage:

I have never heard one single complaint about where that gun's safety was located.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm sure the 92F is fine if you want bottom of the bucket.  Glock, HK, Sig and especially CZ are its masters now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bull Fucking Shit

Whatever

Sig is absolute shit these days. After working with hundred of M9's and Sig's alike, the M9 wins, hands down.

Let me count the ways

Doesn't rust all to hell like the Sig

Doesn't come from the factory with out of spec recoil springs

Doesn't drop its grip screws from normal firing

That's enough bad experiences with sig for me, thanks.

The M9/92 series are fine weapons. Yes they are big but not overly so. Some folks complain, but, but, the locking block. Yeah, they're good for about 15k rounds or more. I guess when you shear the lugs off your M16 Bolt, it's a horrible weapons too. Oh, and the M9 does not have a "fixed barrel" like a makarov, ffs.

ETA: 13er gonna 13.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/1f/S%26W4506.jpg/400px-S%26W4506.jpg

I have never heard one single complaint about where that gun's safety was located.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bulky and controls on the slide instead of on the frame. At least, those are two of the things those who hate it bitch about. Me, I like the gun.

By the way, where the hell are the pictures?

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/1f/S%26W4506.jpg/400px-S%26W4506.jpg

I have a 6904, and I think it's just fine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the dumbest fucking thing I've read on this site in at least 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure I stumbled into a troofer thread yesterday
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

QFT.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Slide mounted safeties are for savages.  

It also has a grip that makes a Glock seem small.

QFT.

I knew that would be coming, so...

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:10:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sig is absolute shit these days. After working with hundred of M9's and Sig's alike, the M9 wins, hands down.

Let me count the ways

The M9/92 series are fine weapons. Yes they are big but not overly so. Some folks complain, but, but, the locking block. Yeah, they're good for about 15k rounds or more. I guess when you shear the lugs off your M16 Bolt, it's a horrible weapons too. Oh, and the M9 does not have a "fixed barrel" like a makarov, ffs.

View Quote

You forgot Sig slides and frames cracking, firing pin retaining pins falling out of out of spec holes, sear springs breaking, and the list goes on for the Sig.

I'd say our maintenance and repair costs at least doubled since switching

Newest M9 locking blocks with a matching plunger and a good recoilspring guide will go far beyond 15k....probably more like double is more like it
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:12:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That's the dumbest fucking thing I've read on this site in at least 2 weeks, and I'm pretty sure I stumbled into a troofer thread yesterday
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's the troof!
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:15:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You forgot Sig slides and frames cracking, firing pin retaining pins falling out of out of spec holes, sear springs breaking, and the list goes on for the Sig.

Newest M9 locking blocks with a matching plunger and a good recoilspring guide will go far beyond 15k....probably more like double is more like it
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me count the ways

I was accounting for the old style locking blocks. I have not witnessed cracked frames but have noticed quit a bit of battering of the frames. Probably due to the fact that the recoil springs go to hell in one range session.

Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#44]
I have very little time behind a 92FS, but it seemed OK. The safety location, on the other hand, sucks. And yeah, it did have a bit of a bulky feel to it. With original 15-round magazines, it's kinda too big for the round count you get. But now that there are 17 and I think someone in this thread said 18-round mags for it, the size:capacity ratio is a bit more balanced IMO.
(The "If I'm going to have a big gun, it better have a lot of bullets" rule).

Not a fan of the way the sights are attached, seems like a dovetailed setup like most everyone else has used for a long time would be a better approach.

I do think the flush-muzzle models (I think they're the Vertec or Elite versions?) are kinda sexy-looking.

Take that slide and the frame below, maybe with a rail if you're carrying it for duty use (I've been converted to the pro-weaponlight cause for LE/mil duty carry, or SHTF overt carry if you insist, as well as HD), use the largest capacity flush fit magazines that are reliable in the gun, and I'd carry it gladly. Maybe with the D-series springs and, if the below pictured frame-mounted safety is unavailable, the G-series springloaded decocker.

Quoted:
Mine looks like this (not my pic).

View Quote

ETA: The gun pictured below, but with the safety of the gun in the quote:
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was accounting for the old style locking blocks. I have not witnessed cracked frames but have noticed quit a bit of battering of the frames. Probably due to the fact that the recoil springs go to hell in one range session.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me count the ways

I can't recommend new Sig classic series pistols to anyone anymore. Thier QC is disgusting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me count the ways

Sadly the Sig's are still better then the Beretta's despite all of the unproven one sided issues you listed.

ETA: Douche Bag gonna Douche.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:24:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya know.......15k ain't squat.  Any serious IPSC competitor will go through at least twice that practicing in a single year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ya know.......15k ain't squat.  Any serious IPSC competitor will go through at least twice that practicing in a single year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you can find plenty of those IPSC shooters still on original to the gun 20 year old locking blocks because they actually replace recoil springs at a reasonable interval instead of once every never, like DOD does.

Let your recoil springs go till they don't work properly, and shit will break on any gun. On Sig classic series pistols, the slide cracks right where the pocket that the spring and guide meets the rest of the slide. Other pistols are different.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Well, it's the troof!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's the troof!

That's cute.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 12:32:36 AM EDT
[#50]
I think it is some of the Elite models and the 92G-SD's that were decocker only, so if you had to TRB the gun during a malf, and you accidentally flipped the lever down while slingshotting the slide, it was springloaded.  It would be automatically flipped back to up, to the FIRE position, once the slide went into battery and the hammer dropped.

I did the inadvertent safety activation during a USPSA match once.  Felt like a total idiot.  I was squeezing and SQUEEZING! the trigger and I was like "WHY WON'T THIS GUN FIRE?!" .  "Oh, yeah, durrrrr!".
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top