Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 92FS...carried and qualified various times with the M9 in the Corps and got a good deal on the 92 when I got out.

Lots of muscle memory with it, so I like it, although I'll comment that it's overly large for a 9mm pistol and while I have no plans on getting rid of mine, I like my Glock 19 a hair better.

Ah yes, I have a 1911 also, so I guess I fall into the 'get both' (or get three) here....
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I was an MP in the Army when we transitioned from the 1911 to the M9.

I much prefer the 1911. The gun just fits my hand and points better for me. I don't like the safety/decocker on the slide. It's hard for me to reach and works opposite almost all of my other guns.

I also took one out of service by dropping it with the slide locked back when drawing it from the arms room. The guide rod bent and locked up the mechanism.

I also didn't like that we went from getting issued 3 7-round magazines, for 21 rounds of .45 ACP to 2 magazines that we were supposed to load 10 rounds each for 20 rounds of 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FIFY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because the 226 is extremely mediocre for what you get and the CZ 75 is superior in every way

FIFY

FIFY

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
no complaints about mine.  very solid shooter.  Accurate.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think a lot of the hate comes from former military that only ever dealt with ones that were beat to hell already.
View Quote

True, but I think it was the shitty magazines that gave the M9 a bad rep personally....
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
yep

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

3rd fav  right behind the high power.

most hate on the mags yet the cx4 storms are reliable as heck

for the capacity and caliber it is too big and too heavy but it is also all steel and that hurts the arf love of plastic crap pistols.

Well, we can disregard any more nonsense from you on this topic.

yep

There is an all steel model Beretta.  Perhaps this guy only has experience with that one.  Tread lightly fellas... things like this is why people hate GD.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

True, but I think it was the shitty magazines that gave the M9 a bad rep personally....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think a lot of the hate comes from former military that only ever dealt with ones that were beat to hell already.

Eh. My issue pistol was brand new, straight from the factory. Magazines were new and functioned fine in garrison situations. I still didn't like it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ah yes, I have a 1911 also, so I guess I fall into the 'get both' (or get three) here....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't mind the Beretta. I wouldn't turn one down but as some one else mentioned the Sig 226 is a better choice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The only people I ever meet that like them, have never carried them outside civilian life or have never carried a real and reliable gun to know better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The only people I ever meet that like them, have never carried them outside civilian life or have never carried a real and reliable gun to know better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I actually really like shooting them (after the first shot).  It is also one of the most comfortable handguns in my hands ever.  I don't mind the decocker.  I wonder why I don't own one?
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You haven't seen 92 hate until you've seen 90-two hate. I really like it though.

<a href="http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/tim151515/media/Collection.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/tim151515/Collection.jpg</a>
View Quote

nice
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Haha hahaha haha hahaha

You're funny.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just bought one today because I had a holster that needed a gun.

Anyways, why do we not like it again?
View Quote

It's a fuckin brick.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Because it replaced the 1911 in the military. And it shouldn't have. Because the only reason 9mm is even remotely acceptable is for compact guns that are carried concealed, which it isn't. Because it is European, yuk!
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#18]
The only people who hate the 92fs have small, girly hands.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#19]
For a 9mm it feels like a really big gun.  I don't find it particularly accurate or comfortable like say a good 1911.

There are tons of 9mm's that are smaller, feel better in hand, just as accurate, just as reliable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The only people who hate the 92fs have small, girly hands.
View Quote

yup I have small hands.  I have shot bad guys before.  Tell me more of your exploits and what you have done with your big ole sausage fingers.

We have women who have to carry that gun.  Even with it being a 9mm the huge size makes it very hard for those who are not of the right fit.  

I would take my smith and wessons any day.  I would take 20 other guns to a fight than the m9 including the 1911 over and over.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I like mine. I liked it a lot better when I could use my preban mags, with only 10rds it is very bulky for its capacity.

It is the pistol I shoot best with. I put a Wolff D hammer spring in, makes the trigger nice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You haven't seen 92 hate until you've seen 90-two hate. I really like it though.

<a href="http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/tim151515/media/Collection.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/tim151515/Collection.jpg</a>
View Quote

Dammit I love the 90-Two. I was put off of at the first time I saw it, but now I'm determined to have one in my collection.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#24]
It's the ARFCOM way to be extremely negative and hate most everything...

Just goes with the territory...
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#25]
They're cool. Don't love or hate them. As a matter of fact, there aren't a lot of weapons I go fan boy over anymore. I do love my nano though.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine are very accurate, and I love the 18 round magazines I have now.  The military issue ones that are wore out need to be replaced; Glocks with the same round count that had been treated the same would have the same problems.  Neither of mine have ever hiccuped, even with cheap ammo and dirty reloads.

My only complaint is the safety on the F/FS model.  Never should have been there to begin with.  G-model decocker-only FTW!
In that regard, the Taurus PT92 is a better gun design, but my Taurus isn't as smooth on the triger.  Still like it though.

Also like the PX4, which I feel is the natural evolution of the design.  

Incidentally, the 92 seems like a very touch design to me.  I've had one (not mine) that had a case head failure (bad reload or firing out of battery, maybe) and 'blew up'.  It popped a grip panel off and ejected the magazine, and sprung the trigger and trigger bar out of place.  After I counted my fingers and thanked God I was wearing eyepro, I checked the slide and barrel for cracks or bulges, reassembled the pistol, and proceeded to fire another box (not the same ammo!)  Didn't damage any parts, not even the mag release or grip panel.  If it'd been a Glock or any other polymer frame gun the owner would have been sending it back to the manufacturer.

ETA - I don't consider myself a Beretta fanboy, either.  I just don't get the hate for the 92 compared to other full-size 9mms.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Hipster bullshit, at least I think thats an ARF approved answer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:02:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bulky and controls on the slide instead of on the frame. At least, those are two of the things those who hate it bitch about. Me, I like the gun.

By the way, where the hell are the pictures?
View Quote

I dont have big hands, just long skeleton like fingers I guess but mine is not bulky and the safety/decocker is easy to flip up. Maybe its cause we are used to flipping a safety down instead of up like God intended but I love my 92FS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Best handgun ever
View Quote

I wouldnt go that far but you are close.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Slide mounted safeties are for savages.  

It also has a grip that makes a Glock seem small.
View Quote

QFT.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Too big!

During failure drills "tap rack bang" it is easy of accidentally engage the decocker/safety.

It is too big!!

(Yet I own two of them!    )
View Quote

IMO the only real drawback of the pistol.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Both of these guns can kill a field mouse dead at 20 yards first shot, but it's barely slightly easier to do it with the Beretta.

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Because if you are going to get a double action, semi auto 9mm, you might as well save the extra cash and get a SIG P226,  but that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Aside from the ass-backwards safety and large size, they seem fine.  I enjoyed shooting my friend's 96.   A 92FS is on my list of deals to look out for.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
If you combine all of the main reasons some people dislike 1911's, with all the main reasons others don't like the Glock, you get the M9.

People only went for it, because back then there weren't a lot of high capacity pistol options. They also marketed it as a safe gun because of the idiotic safety, decocker and trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
18 round flush fit magazines. Mec-Gar even has 20 rounds if you don't mind the little knobby bit.

20+1 capacity. ZOMG ITS SO BIG FO WHAT IT IZ!

Safety/decocker is stupid, but I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine looks like this (not my pic).

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Because it replaced the 1911 in the military. And it shouldn't have. Because the only reason 9mm is even remotely acceptable is for compact guns that are carried concealed, which it isn't. Because it is European, yuk!
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#39]
It's a mystery to me.

Some say it's too big, then when you hold it next to a Glock 22 they suddenly get quiet.

Some say it's the safety, but having spent my entire career carrying DA/SA pistols it's a non-issue for my generation.

Same say it's the long heavy trigger, but my niece has not the slightest problem even shooting with the can  and she's barely 5'4".

Some say it cannot be concealed, but I did just that for years and if the mood strikes me i can carry it in the summer with no trouble at all.

It's reliable,, accurate, and the best choice for pistol whipping you have ever seen
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I can and have shot a Beretta M92 just fine.  I dont like the bulk of the pistol for a 9mm,  its too wide across the grip.  The Trigger reach is too long for the first shot.  It has a slide mounted Decocker that I dont care for. It is a DA/SA.  There are better guns for me out there. ETA for ME better guns for me.  Yeah I talk crap about Berettas to guys that own them, if you cant deal with it go play somewhere else
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:41:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's a mystery to me.

Some say it's too big, then when you hold it next to a Glock 22 they suddenly get quiet.

Some say it's the safety, but having spent my entire career carrying DA/SA pistols it's a non-issue for my generation.

Same say it's the long heavy trigger, but my niece has not the slightest problem even shooting with the can  and she's barely 5'4".

Some say it cannot be concealed, but I did just that for years and if the mood strikes me i can carry it in the summer with no trouble at all.

It's reliable,, accurate, and the best choice for pistol whipping you have ever seen
View Quote
I'll take an all-stainless 3906 for my club, thanks.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Mine was unreliable.  To be fair though, it was one of the very early models, and it was a lot of fun to shoot when it worked, which was most of the time.  But I wouldn't consider one for anything other than a range toy; there are far better options for just about any other use IMO.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a mystery to me.

I'm really fond of 3rd Gen Smiths, There is just something  about that Beretta  open slide and integral front sight that really peels the scalp.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I shoot IDPA with my 92FS and I don't see any drawbacks from it.  It hits exactly where I point it, it eats anything I feed it.
If there is any fault in the shooting it's mine.  The safety on the slide? I shoot with both hands manipulating the controls
with my left thumb, and if it weren't required to be used in IDPA I would never use it. I can only remember one FTE and
that was a light hand load that short stroked.  NEVER a FTF, all my mags work, all the time.  I couldn't ask for more.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#45]
for the price ive heard of some going for i would pick one up. i would still most likely prefer shooting my 1911 or any of my mps
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Old guys hate it because it replaced the 1911.

Young guys hate it because its not plastic.

Manly men hate it because its 9mm.

Girly men hate it because the grip is too big.

SIG guys hate it because it won the M9 trials (or was awarded the contract anyways ).

Ex- MIL hate it because the one they were issued was worn out with shitty mags.

Concealed carry guys think its too big.

Target shooters hate the sights.

Paranoid types are afraid someone will jerk the slide off their gun.

Personally I like it, not my favorite pistol but I'd trust it to get the job done.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I have the Taurus version and love it. It was my first 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#48]
The majority of my experience with the Beretta 92 is carrying it on duty.

It's large, for a 9mm, while only carrying 15 rounds.  It's large, and I'm not a fan of the grip size.  I detest the slide mounted controls.  If maintenance isn't kept up, they break locking blocks (witnessed it).

It's a quality firearm, and my FIL likes Berettas.  I choose not to shoot them in my off time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

You would be very wrong
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Not very good for conceal carry

Better options are out there for home defense, duty, and competitive guns.

It's a doublestack P-38.  So it's a 1940's pistol stuck In the 1980's

That doesn't mean it needs to be hated.  It is attractive, well built, reliable, accurate,
And very easy to shoot.  It does t need to be hated, but it kind of has called by the wayside.   Like many guns in this area, if you like it, and are willing to train around it, buy it and carry it.   You could do far worse.

In 20 years when DOD finally moves on to something else, everyone will be all about the "retro" 92
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top