Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Page 3 ownage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:You can’t forget that it’s an intricate plot to distract from the Cyber Ninjas audit!
View Quote

That’s it!!!
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The industry does have established safety procedures.  Even the most hyperbolic news/opinion pieces out there discussing this find only 2 prior incidents in 37 years, or so.  Three in 38(?) years is not a rash of accidents and should lead to the conclusion that whatever they've been doing almost always worked and so there was likely a critical failure of some sort here.

I don't think they need wholesale changes in their processes.  They do need to identify and fix the specific problems in this incident.  Just like all ranges I've ever been on, public, private, police, military, etc., have bullet holes where they weren't supposed to be.   It seems likely a live round got to a place it shouldn't have.  That's not a problem unique to the entertainment industry nor a signal that their entire system is flawed and dangerous.
View Quote

While there have been only 2 deaths in decades, this movie set alone had 2 negligent discharges before the fatal one. If the third one hadn't been fatal, it seem unlikely that it would have made the news. So the question that needs asking is, how common are NDs on movie sets that cause no injuries/fatalities? Was this set an aberration or are NDs common and the movie makers have been lucky up until now?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Her dad was Thell Reed, the guy probably filmed thousands of productions back when recreational shooting was still common on production locations and they still managed to handle set safety…who knows what she was doing?
View Quote

And she obviously didn't learn anything from him.  She was just gifted her first and only gun.  And she went out and played expert.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes I'm the stupid one who thinks all guns in movies are fake.
View Quote

Blank firing guns are constructed differently, even though they may appear identical without closer inspection.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Real firearms on set should have been in a lockbox controlled by armorer.
View Quote

And then locked in a safe with the combination placed inside the lockbox and the safe guarded by at two prior SEALs holding MP5s at the ready with a round in the chamber.  All of this within a secured area with the access passcodes for the area safe with Biden’s football codes.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:It was an old west movie, so probably an MP5
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Under COVID-19 rules there should be one lockbox for "clean" firearms and another for "used" firearms.
View Quote

And one ring to rule them all!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The real question is why is Alec Baldwin so careless with firearms?

And when will he commit suicide because of this?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
its definitely a strange practice. I don't even work on or clean my guns in the same room of the house where i keep my ammo and magazines. Weird to think of someone acting as a set armorer and having live rounds nearby
View Quote

Honestly, I find that kinda weird.  I've never had an inclination to load my gun while cleaning it just because there are cartridges or magazines in the same room.  They certainly don't crawl into the gun on their own.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This their job right? Prop master specializing in guns for movies making giant bucks.  So why is there even 1 live round on grounds other than a security officer. Why would the prop master in charge of movie firearms even have live ammo? Seems like a recipe for disaster.
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing....that should be rule number one.  NEVER HAVE LIFE AMMO on the set.  

No different than body shops not having any silicone based spray products laying around......
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/baldwin-film-crew-spent-spare-time-target-shooting-with-prop-gun-before-incident/

They’ve been sharing all manner of details about what took place on the set preceding the shooting.

Among those details: how the cast and crew used the same gun that Baldwin fired, killing Halyna Hutchins, for target practice off-set while the crew wasn’t working on the film.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah like when they use a couch or a lamp for a scene you can't really sit on the couch or turn on the lamp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It’s not a prop gun if it will chamber live ammo.  It’s a firearm.

Yeah like when they use a couch or a lamp for a scene you can't really sit on the couch or turn on the lamp.

I fucking lol’d thanks for that. Just let them keep thinking the word “prop” somehow means fake. I’ve posted every single detail on protocols/procedure/rules on set in the big thread and people can’t seem to grasp how or why this happened. Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Her dad was Thell Reed, the guy probably filmed thousands of productions back when recreational shooting was still common on production locations and they still managed to handle set safety…who knows what she was doing?
View Quote

Well dang...

I've shot with him,  I helped him burn up quite a bit of his 45ACP and 45LC ammo many many years ago.  The man can shoot that's for sure.

He's like a quick drawing Richard Dreyfus  

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This their job right? Prop master specializing in guns for movies making giant bucks.  So why is there even 1 live round on grounds other than a security officer. Why would the prop master in charge of movie firearms even have live ammo? Seems like a recipe for disaster.
View Quote

Because there was a union walkout just hours before, and the production company brought in scabs.

Someone has got to say it
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Honestly, I find that kinda weird.  I've never had an inclination to load my gun while cleaning it just because there are cartridges or magazines in the same room.  They certainly don't crawl into the gun on their own.
View Quote

The idea is not that the bullets will magically load themselves. The idea is to put more steps between to make it less likely for an ND.

Why are there 4 gun safety rules? If you treat every gun as if it is loaded, you wouldn't need the other 3. But by layering the rules, you make it less likely that an ND would kill or injure someone. Got sloppy, put your finger on the trigger, and NDed? No major harm done as you had the gun pointed at something you were willing to destroy like a sand barrel.

Same idea behind having live rounds no where near your cleaning or smithing bench. Multiple failures have to happen before you end up pulling the trigger with a live round in the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
democrats don't want to follow established safety protocols

There are strict protocols when using simunitions that Hollywood could follow. Instead they get a 24yo armorer in charge of everything, going the least expensive route

It seems to be all about saving a buck doing everything on the cheap
View Quote

That's one of those non-union workers that GD is always extolling the virtues of: since union guys are too expensive and demand too many personal freedoms like breaks, pay, and proper safety protocols.

Just hire a non-union worker, they do just as good a job as the union guys, plus they're 1/4 th cost, you don't have to feed them or worry about safety, since they're expendable.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thell Reed is not an unknown name to anyone who's been really interested in firearms for more than a few years.  You would think that his daughter would know about the four rules, about never mixing live ammo with blanks, and other elementary shit like that.

According to one account, she wasn't even on the set when the shooting happened.  They needed a pistol to plan out a filming sequence, so some Assistant Director grabbed a pistol off some cart somewhere and handed it to Baldwin.  Neither the Assistant Director nor Baldwin thought to check it to see if it was loaded or not. Dumbasses all around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Her dad was Thell Reed, the guy probably filmed thousands of productions back when recreational shooting was still common on production locations and they still managed to handle set safetywho knows what she was doing?

Thell Reed is not an unknown name to anyone who's been really interested in firearms for more than a few years.  You would think that his daughter would know about the four rules, about never mixing live ammo with blanks, and other elementary shit like that.

According to one account, she wasn't even on the set when the shooting happened.  They needed a pistol to plan out a filming sequence, so some Assistant Director grabbed a pistol off some cart somewhere and handed it to Baldwin.  Neither the Assistant Director nor Baldwin thought to check it to see if it was loaded or not. Dumbasses all around.

Sounds like the AD and AB share a good amount of the culpability for this.

Whether it meets criminal standards...I think so. There appears there is a standard protocol to prevent this and it wasn't followed. Also on top of that, simple gun handling rules that weren't followed. End result of not following those rules=Someone died.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The idea is not that the bullets will magically load themselves. The idea is to put more steps between to make it less likely for an ND.

Why are there 4 gun safety rules? If you treat every gun as if it is loaded, you wouldn't need the other 3. But by layering the rules, you make it less likely that an ND would kill or injure someone. Got sloppy, put your finger on the trigger, and NDed? No major harm done as you had the gun pointed at something you were willing to destroy like a sand barrel.

Same idea behind having live rounds no where near your cleaning or smithing bench. Multiple failures have to happen before you end up pulling the trigger with a live round in the chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's completely nonsensical. Am I supposed to reach for a bore-brush but mistakenly load a round into the chamber by mistake
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's completely nonsensical. Am I supposed to reach for a bore-brush but mistakenly load a round into the chamber by mistake
View Quote

Do you never do a feeding or extraction check with dummy rounds? Does breaking down any of your firearms require you to pull the trigger?

Yes, both of those have safety checks in place that should insure that there isn't a live round in the chamber but safety checks fail sometimes. So you add another safety check of never having live ammunition where you would be doing those things.

As an example, there are safety checks to make sure that you don't load a 300 BO round into a 5.56 barrel. But how many times have we seen the lead worm on these boards because someone had 5.56 rounds and 300 BO rounds in the same area?

To be clear, I'm not saying that having live rounds at your cleaning/gunsmithing bench means that someone will die. But it does add another layer of safety.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Gun grabbers should not be allowed to produce movies with guns in them. None at all.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While there have been only 2 deaths in decades, this movie set alone had 2 negligent discharges before the fatal one. If the third one hadn't been fatal, it seem unlikely that it would have made the news. So the question that needs asking is, how common are NDs on movie sets that cause no injuries/fatalities? Was this set an aberration or are NDs common and the movie makers have been lucky up until now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The industry does have established safety procedures.  Even the most hyperbolic news/opinion pieces out there discussing this find only 2 prior incidents in 37 years, or so.  Three in 38(?) years is not a rash of accidents and should lead to the conclusion that whatever they've been doing almost always worked and so there was likely a critical failure of some sort here.

I don't think they need wholesale changes in their processes.  They do need to identify and fix the specific problems in this incident.  Just like all ranges I've ever been on, public, private, police, military, etc., have bullet holes where they weren't supposed to be.   It seems likely a live round got to a place it shouldn't have.  That's not a problem unique to the entertainment industry nor a signal that their entire system is flawed and dangerous.

If I had to guess, I think about as frequent as they are in general firearms ownership and use.   The industry has active, effective safety processes and procedures.  We have "4 simple rules."  We're not perfect, either.  

I wonder about the reported "misfires."  I don't particularly care what they call them.  I don't expect perfection in terms used in reporting or rumors.  Lots of axes being ground over this as well as a fair expectation that the "media" reports are from people who don't have a great deal of familiarity with the subject. Maybe it's an old gun and worn to an unsafe condition.   If it was a dangerous gun, perhaps over worked or broken and a jostling or drop could cause an unintended/unexpected hammer drop, it should have been removed from use until repaired or scrapped.  We talk about competition tuned light triggers at times, considering them maybe too light for general use or carry, or not well suited for novices to use.

Or, they were the result of improper handling, fooling around, sloppy procedures, a blank when it should have been empty, a pull when there never should have been a finger on the trigger.  That's a discipline/people issue, not mechanical problem. That environment/culture has to be clamped down immediately.  

Either situation seems to be possible, maybe both.  Both are unacceptable and the business structure, conflicts, egos, whatever, might well have a played a part.  I lean towards incompetence before malice.  Although in a tense labor/management conflict zone combined with a lack of effective controls and procedures,  it would not be impossible for a live round to be slipped intentionally into play.  I'm thinking it's more likely a process failure as opposed to an intentional act.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It appears they are calling the revolver a "prop" gun, but actually it's a real revolver that was meant to either have no rounds in it or blanks during filming.   A non-firing gun replica should have been used instead.   I think this point is confusing a lot of the media.   I would have never thought a real gun would ever be allowed on a set.
View Quote

That fact that a real fun can also be a prop is confusing about of people here
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
According to TMZ, crew were using the gun for recreational shooting when off the clock. I'm guessing the kept the live rounds nearby so they wouldn't have to travel far to get some shooting in.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/10/23/alec-baldwin-rust-gun-accident-used-off-set-target-practice/
View Quote

If this is correct, somebody didn't properly clear the gun after "playtime" was over.
Also pretty much confirms a real gun being used on the set.

Blank ammunition. Know the difference.

Sadly, Baldwin isn't going to take the heat for this even though he should take some of the responsibility for not ensuring a safe firearm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This belongs in the Alec Baldwin forum.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Jeez, after what happened to Brandon Lee I would have thought prop firearm safety would be been paramount in Hollywood.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What kind of gun was it? A revolver?
View Quote

G19 in a movie set in 1880's.  Way Back To The Future.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you never do a feeding or extraction check with dummy rounds? Does breaking down any of your firearms require you to pull the trigger?

Yes, both of those have safety checks in place that should insure that there isn't a live round in the chamber but safety checks fail sometimes. So you add another safety check of never having live ammunition where you would be doing those things.

As an example, there are safety checks to make sure that you don't load a 300 BO round into a 5.56 barrel. But how many times have we seen the lead worm on these boards because someone had 5.56 rounds and 300 BO rounds in the same area?

To be clear, I'm not saying that having live rounds at your cleaning/gunsmithing bench means that someone will die. But it does add another layer of safety.
View Quote

but if you are already following the four rules it doesn't really matter if you do a feeding or extraction check with a live round.

only reason i say that is often times people come up with these alternate rules which makes them think it's ok to ignore the 4 rules.

There is never live ammo or loaded guns on my worktable so it's ok to point it at my cat and pull the trigger, there are never real guns on movie sets so it's ok if i point it at my dps head and pull the trigger...
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

but if you are already following the four rules it doesn't really matter if you do a feeding or extraction check with a live round.

only reason i say that is often times people come up with these alternate rules which makes them think it's ok to ignore the 4 rules.

There is never live ammo or loaded guns on my worktable so it's ok to point it at my cat and pull the trigger, there are never real guns on movie sets so it's ok if i point it at my dps head and pull the trigger...
View Quote

I don't want a round going off inside my workshop even if it is into the sand bucket. If nothing else, I don't wear hearing protection all the time.

If that's what they are doing, then I agree that it is wrong.

What I was commenting on is the idea that since bullets can't magically transport themselves into a gun, there is no point to not having live ammunition at the workbench. I mean, there's no way for live ammunition to transport itself into any of the rifles in my safe, but I always check the chamber when I remove them from the safe.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#30]
From everything I have read so far it sounds like a lot of safety protocols - both simple gun safety and industry safety - were violated.

Unfortunately we have all seen before the results of people thinking they are "too professional" to have to follow safety rules.

I know it is probably not allowed, but if I were an actor and someone handed me a gun, I would have to check it and make sure it was not loaded or else I would no do the scene.

And I would under no circumstances what-so-ever point that gun a another human being. Surely if a scene calls for such it can be shot from angles where doing so is not necessary.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

True, some rules breed complacency about other more important rules.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's one of those non-union workers that GD is always extolling the virtues of: since union guys are too expensive and demand too many personal freedoms like breaks, pay, and proper safety protocols.

Just hire a non-union worker, they do just as good a job as the union guys, plus they're 1/4 th cost, you don't have to feed them or worry about safety, since they're expendable.
View Quote

Doesn’t really matter union or non-union, matters more regarding experience, skill, training and common sense. The armorer’s own father is a well known firearms instructor, film and tv armorer, trick shooter, fast draw expert and combat competition shooter for over 50 years…she looks like a drugged out trainwreck.  I highly doubt Thell is a 1/4 the cost seeing as he’s trained people like Val Kilmer. Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, Ed Norton, etc…

Her dad’s IMDB

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0715715/
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Prop is short for property, has nothing to do with an item being “real” or not.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own Glocks, so yes. I remove the magazine, visually and physically inspect the chamber, then point the gun in a safe direction before I pull the trigger. It doesn't matter if there's one round sitting next to me or if I'm swimming in a pool of ammo like Scrooge McDuck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#35]
1. There should not have been live ammo on the set.

2. Additionally, Alec Baldwin is responsible for shooting the woman. He pulled the trigger without safety checking the firearm.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I own Glocks, so yes. I remove the magazine, visually and physically inspect the chamber, then point the gun in a safe direction before I pull the trigger. It doesn't matter if there's one round sitting next to me or if I'm swimming in a pool of ammo like Scrooge McDuck.
View Quote

Why do you physically inspect the chamber when you already visually checked it? Because you want to make sure it isn't loaded.

I'm not saying that anyone is taking their life in their hands by having live ammunition around them when cleaning or working on a firearm. I'm saying that adding extra precautions is not ridiculous.

I mean, to paraphrase you, "Physically checking the chamber is completely nonsensical. Am I supposed to believe that there are invisible bullets loaded in my gun?"
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Seems like I saw a bit about Tom cruise a while back regarding using live ammo on set. He said he uses it quite a bit, I guess for more realism or something. Kinda dumb and irresponsible to me
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Why do you physically inspect the chamber when you already visually checked it? Because you want to make sure it isn't loaded.

I'm not saying that anyone is taking their life in their hands by having live ammunition around them when cleaning or working on a firearm. I'm saying that adding extra precautions is not ridiculous.

I mean, to paraphrase you, "Physically checking the chamber is completely nonsensical. Am I supposed to believe that there are invisible bullets loaded in my gun?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ just go clean your fucking gun in someone else's house who doesn't also own guns
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Jesus Christ just go clean your fucking gun in someone else's house who doesn't also own guns
View Quote

Are you insane?! With ammunition in the same state?

I take my guns up on Bezo's space penis so I'm not even on a planet where there is ammunition.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 4:59:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
According to my friend who has been doing camera work for almost 40 years, live ammo is allowed only when you are filming a show that involves actual shooting, like "Top Shot."  Otherwise it is absolutely verboten.
View Quote

I know a lot of people in the film industry.  The majority of them aren't even smart enough to operate a handgun.  The fucks they hire around here makes the industry extremely dangerous.  I wouldn't doubt the 'armorer' or whoever loaded the handgun are from Santa Fe, proper.  The City Different a la Little San Francisco.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS
something is hinky and some people are going down for this
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What kind of gun was it? A revolver?
View Quote

It was a Staccato!!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The real question is why is Alec Baldwin so careless with firearms?
View Quote

The real question is why would anyone hire AB for a movie?!?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:This belongs in the Alec Baldwin forum.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#45]
In the early days of the film industry, live ammo on the set was not unheard of.

"Cagney's autobiography (Cagney by Cagney) confirms this, claiming that Warner Brothers retained a Marine Corps machine gunner (and WWI veteran) for just such effects. Just who this gunner was is something of a mystery. Cagney by Cagney simply references "a man named Bailey." while Imdb claims a fellow named George Daly was the gunner in question.

The most spoken-of shooting is from The Public Enemy, in a scene where Cagney's character ducks around a building to avoid gunfire. From a combination of very sketchy sources and conjecture, the effect worked something like this:

The Gunner was put on a raised platform some 15 or 20 feet from the "building," which was a false structure. There he set up his position (for the sake of argument, we'll say a Thompson submachine gun and some sort of modified bench rest). Cagney enters frame, ducks around the building (I hope to the gods in some sort of fortified position) and the gunner fires off however many bursts are needed that take."

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

THIS
something is hinky and some people are going down for this
View Quote

No, a “prop” can be virtually anything. It only means “property”. Do you think they manufacture fake cars to crash in movie scenes too?
Come on man!
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is what I said to my wife...
“Zero reason to have a live round at all on site”

Or why is the gun even able to fire a live round?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#48]
From what I hear it was a replica of the Colt Navy 44. You just do not insert a cartridge in those. You have to hand load and seat every bullet. How could that be an accident?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
From what I hear it was a replica of the Colt Navy 44. You just do not insert a cartridge in those. You have to hand load and seat every bullet. How could that be an accident?
View Quote

1851 Navy Colt Cartridge Conversion ( Taylor's & Company)
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've not seen any specific weapon identification.
Is this a public source or a private conversation?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top