BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Certainly common but not the norm.

Ever go to an intestine joint for a date?
Because I haven’t
View Quote
Ever eat pate or see it on the menu? (Liver)
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:16:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thank you.  I am going to try this next time I find liver for sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fry a pound of bacon.  In that fresh grease fry the liver and onion and potatoes.

Put a bite of each on each forkful.

Thank you.  I am going to try this next time I find liver for sale.
Learned that from my father in law nearly 30 years ago.

Mom always used Crisco.  And often over cooked it so it was chewy and rubbery.

Cook it more to a med rare to med. and the liver should just about melt in your mouth.  That's good eatin' right there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Probably because they come from poor ass cultures who historically had to eat that slop because they had nothing else to eat.  They had to make a goat last 6 months.

Our ancestors were smarter so they didnt have to eat cocks, balls, tongues and buttholes.
View Quote
Pay her enough, she will.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
TMPDR: we're not as desperate and gout.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've always wanted to try kidneys.  I had an old illustrated Brit' cookbook years ago and they looked pretty good.
View Quote
Goes with the rest of your fried breakfast... Or you could just wimp out and have a steak and kidney pie.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#6]
pianos are too stringy
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I am one of those selective eaters who eats only muscle tissue (non-organ meat) and just one other thing:  I'll eat liver if it's in the form of liverwurst or liver pate.

I'll also eat a variety of cold cuts, pepperoni, salami, sopressata, chorizo, various sausages, hot dogs, etc, but I won't touch head cheese, scrapple, or any other identified organ meat.

My tastes, my preference.   Not saying your preference is wrong, it's YOURS.  I just choose not to eat some of those things.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]
A lot of it is an acquired taste, and it's often not cooked well by home cooks (and sometimes pro chefs, for that matter).

Historically, organ meats were generally considered less desirable. Offal, translated, basically means "waste" or "garbage" It's not like this is a new thing, we are just rich enough that even poor people can afford to not eat them.  Plus, our industrial processes mean that organ meats go into various other products. Much of what remains is often purely nostalgic...  Traditional meals that were eaten when people were dirt poor, and having any animal protein was a rare treat, and those dishes have survived in some form to the present.

In some cases, health issues have also pushed people away...  Nobody wants to get mad cow disease.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:33:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Venison liver is best liver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like pork liver, especially in Boudin
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because I haven't
View Quote
um, that would be called a hot dog stand...
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Because I haven’t
View Quote
This Korean place we go to will bring you a bowl of intestines they clean and marinated.

You grill them at the tableand with a little pickled daikon they are off the charts
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Heart, liver, tongue and other parts aren't 'waste handling' parts, junior.

Of course, I don't let my 'feelz' rule my taste buds like y'all snowflakes.
View Quote
What exactly do you think the liver does?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:50:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
google liver flukes.
Deer liver is good, but no.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:55:09 AM EDT
[#15]
It is common in Western society.

I think you mean the United States, more specifically.

Anyway, my family eats the hell out of all those tasty bits others can't tolerate. Problem is that some stuff has become popular, like lengua. Used to be cheap and super tasty eats....not any more. At least not around here.

Sweetbreads and brains have gone up in price too, dammit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#16]
i think americans had no idea how to prepare it. so they stuck it all into a blender and made hotdogs/sausages instead.

basically, americans DO eat other organs, just as a hotdog is all. i would even argue that americans love other organs more than any other country. most countries sit down to eat other organs as a meal. and then when they finish that meal, they stop eating and do something else. americans will eat a hotdog at any event - baseball game, concert, etc. and not only will americans eat 4 hot dogs for the event, they'll have dinner on top of that. then they have hotdogs after shopping (been to an ikea or most malls?) and that's before we get into spam. or sausage. americans put sausage on everything - pastas, skillets, soups. if anything, i would guess americans eat way more 'other' organs than most foreigners. i think filly cheese steak is popular too and is also meat 'product'. many cities also have gyros, which is similar to cheese steak meat product.

not just beef either - a lot of chicken sandwiches are actually 'processed' in a way to seem like muscle. but it's actually chicken bits in a blender and dried to simulate meat product.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Because we don't have to nor do most of us have access to them. Organs spoil quick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL. Do you eat sausage, hot dogs, bologna, salami, or other products of the like? Parts is parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Peckers, testiclees, buttholes and related plumbing - No thankyou please.
LOL. Do you eat sausage, hot dogs, bologna, salami, or other products of the like? Parts is parts.
Hebrew National kosher dogs.
All muscle meat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:14:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
know how i know you're not from south TX?
View Quote
Or S. LA. Hog head cheese.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Because we're not the 3rd world. We don't have to eat the garbage parts of the animal and instead use them in other ways such as pet food or export to garbage countries.

It's good to be on top.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:19:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We DO eat them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440865/17852194-0B39-481F-A8A5-323F5F463CDC-473049.JPG

Eta, I type and find images like a sloth
View Quote
The only time I have ever purchased hot dogs was to use them as part of a prank.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Europeans eat the shit out of that stuff, OP. Done well, it's delicious. Proper preparation takes skill and lots of time. In general, American chefs aren't as patient.
View Quote
Hell most European MREs have multiple types of pate in them, I'd say that counts for common. Then consider tripe, foie gras, various types of sausages with real casings using blood and other organ meats. Organ meat is very common in much of the "western world", unless your definition is just the US.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Probably because they come from poor ass cultures who historically had to eat that slop because they had nothing else to eat.  They had to make a goat last 6 months.

Our ancestors were smarter so they didnt have to eat cocks, balls, tongues and buttholes.
View Quote
This, we feed that stuff to our animals.  Except for hot dogs and similar kind of meat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
all of them

mexicans love them some non-meat

hell, while technically still meat you know it's getting close to christmas time when an entire row in the meat section gets taken up by whole frozen hog heads
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, that and you think that the eating of organs is rare...
So what organs are the relative norm down there?
all of them

mexicans love them some non-meat

hell, while technically still meat you know it's getting close to christmas time when an entire row in the meat section gets taken up by whole frozen hog heads
Barbacoa time! Though I've never found any eyeballs or teeth in the stuff I have ordered or had served to me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

LOL
View Quote
You laugh but when was the last time you saw a British Restaurant in the U.S. That served more than Fish & Chips. Mexican, Chinese and even Japanese joints a plenty but nobody goes to lunch for boiled meat and blood pudding.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
This man and/or woman is correct and gets 100 arfcom points today.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I see no one spent time in the meat industry.  Read the labels. USDA regs state everything must be listed on the label. Variety meats means hearts, etc. California chorizo often contains tripe, salivary glands, etc.
Long term not the healthiest for you.
Hot dogs - read the label to known what you are eating. Poultry based hot dogs mostly are made from mechanically deboned meat. (You probably don’t want to know).
Ever hear of Mad Cow Desease? Prions do cross species.
Just stay away from skeletal and nervous system tissue in your diet.
Primary cuts only.
Read the labels.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because I haven’t
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you talking about? Liver, heart, intestines, tripe and bone marrow are all pretty common.

Because I haven’t
Chitlins are a popular thing around here (well among certain ethnic groups)

The deer processor I use has some African dudes that take all of the gut piles for food.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...I've seen people eat brains from animals...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...I've seen people eat brains from animals...

Check your local grocery store...

Quoted:
...Also heard a wives tail (hope its a myth) about Asians eating monkey brains while monkey is perched in the middle of a table and still alive.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#30]
America is rich enough, and produces enough food we can easily find and afford legs, and other chunks of meat, and not scavenge innards like a vulture / coyote.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Because I haven't
View Quote
Trump's restaurant in DC served one of the guys marrow as a delicacy when I went there during the inauguration.  Doesn't look appetizing and he didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I thought that was the back straps of a cow, deer or goat.

Aka the lower back

ETA: Hmm guess not
View Quote
I thought it was the pancreas of a calf.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#33]
We are a land of plenty so no need to eat the throw away stuff.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I eat heart and bone marrow all the time and they are delicious.  Marrow is second only to foie gras IMHO.  I have both in my freezer right now.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#35]
because I'm the Piano Man
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#36]
OP doesn't eat hotdogs and sausage everyone
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It occurred to me the other day that we generally think of meat as only edible if it’s muscular tissue, at least for the majority of folks I know.

Having said that, I know plenty of people from other countries or cultures that have zero problems what so ever chowing down on literally anything that contains protein. Guts, bones, insects, it’s all protein and our body can process it just the same as animals do in the wild.

I haven’t really adopted this culinary philosophy but I do wonder why that is the case.

Can it be purely based on taste?

Maybe nutritional value?
View Quote
Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis???

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My guess is our standard of living rose to the point we could afford to throw away perfectly good protein.
View Quote
This would be my guess as well.

That being said every internal organ I've tried has been horrible. I'm sure some of it is individual tastes as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Scrapple, bro.

Scrapple.
View Quote

Yes, I know what it's made of. No, I don't care.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Oddly enough, Hot Dogs, unless specifically mentioned in the ingredients is 100% Muscle Meat.  No organs, no offal.  Its an FDA rule.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#41]
The French eat a lot of offal.  So do we but we generally disguise it as sausage, scrapple, liver mush, potted meat, hot dogs, vienna sausages .......BTW I lover liver and onions!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
google liver flukes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
google liver flukes.
Dude, you're from Wisconsin, they eat liver flukes on purpose there.

Never seen one myself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#43]
We've got to save something for fertilizer. But, my Mom would eat anything. Sea urchin goop... you bet!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Perhaps we prefer Pianos to Organs?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Because we don't have to eat them.
View Quote
This right here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because they taste like shit.
View Quote
Young is the tastiest part of the cow
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
BS, Unless your ancestors were actual Kangs or Jewish.  Western culture has taditionally used ever thing but the squeal and the hooves.  It's only in the last 50-70 years that Americans have become soft squeamish and wasteful.

PS   Mt. oysters are a delicacy, and just what do you think is used to make hot dogs.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What are you talking about? Liver, heart, intestines, tripe and bone marrow are all pretty common.
View Quote
Never been the case for any friends or family of mine.

I what you have to I suppose, and conversely, eat what you can.
Gross

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:12:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I like heart and tongue and tacos de cabeza, liver or anything from the digestive track is not very good and presents issues with spoilage in commercial meat processing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#50]
You don't eat Chittlins, brain cheese, chicken liver/hearts/gizzards in TN?!?  Damn high falutin Yankees.  Next you will be saying you don't put a whole goats head in your Brunswick Stew.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top