User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Liver is a filter. I don't eat filters.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Because it's disgusting and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you talking about? Liver, heart, intestines, tripe and bone marrow are all pretty common.
View Quote

FPNI, eat a can of Vienna sausages or potted meat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seems unnecessarily cruel and unethical while all along being a cholesterol bomb and probably not overly healthy
View Quote
Eating cholesterol is not bad for you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What exactly do you think the liver does?
View Quote
It regulates the composition of blood, including the amounts of sugar (glucose), protein, and fat that enter the bloodstream.

It removes bilirubin, ammonia, and other toxins from the blood. (Bilirubin is a by-product of the breakdown of hemoglobin from red blood cells.) It doesn't store them.

It processes most of the nutrients absorbed by the intestines during digestion and converts those nutrients into forms that can be used by the body.

The liver also stores some nutrients, such as vitamin A, iron, and other minerals.

It produces cholesterol and certain important proteins, such as albumin.

It produces clotting factors, chemicals needed to help blood clot.

What did you think it does?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude, you're from Wisconsin, they eat liver flukes on purpose there.

Never seen one myself.
View Quote
Killing parasites and bacteria is why we cook meat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe we are the richest culture and can pick and chose what parts of an animal to eat?  The lesser cuts feed our pets or are shipped to other markets.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#8]
An ABUNDANCE of prime cuts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Heart is a favorite in our house. My son eats it before it ever gets to the table. My son, my daughter, and I all love liver.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Step back 2-3 generations and you'll get a very different answer than you do today.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL. Do you eat sausage, hot dogs, bologna, salami, or other products of the like? Parts is parts.
View Quote
This...we save the fancy cuts for our favorite smushed meat tube snacks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess nobody eats Haggish or blood sausages, is made out prime steak I guess, correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Liver, kindey and heart are commonly eaten in Western countries.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The organs are where all the vitamins and nutrition are at.  There is a reason a cat eats the whole rat and not just the meat off it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Never been the case for any friends or family of mine.

I what you have to I suppose, and conversely, eat what you can.
Gross

A.W.D.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are you talking about? Liver, heart, intestines, tripe and bone marrow are all pretty common.
Never been the case for any friends or family of mine.

I what you have to I suppose, and conversely, eat what you can.
Gross

A.W.D.
Depends on where you live, even in Texas I suppose.

Some examples: Bone marrow and liver pate is popular at a lot of fancy restaurants in any major city. Braunschweiger (aka Liverwurst) and giblet gravy are common throughout all of Texas. Chitlins and cracklins are common in East Texas. In the Hispanic parts of Texas you can find menudo, lingua, chicharron, etc.

And there is plenty more I didn't list.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
know how i know you're not from south TX?
View Quote
Yuuppp go hang out with some mexicans we still eat all that stuff
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I eat the liver and heart of every deer and squirrel I kill. I also eat the liver, heart and gizzard of the wild turkeys I kill and chickens. I inspect them and as long as they look good I eat them. I don't care how hungry I am I'm not eating stomach or intestines. I tried kidney and didn't like it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Because it chews like rubber
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I had some heart.  It was cut into small pieces and cooked on a grill on a stick like a little K-bob.  Good eating.

I've also consumed a bunch of lamb and veal sweetbreads. When we were down in B. Aries, they were like appetizers with many meals.  Wash it down with some malbec.   Very tasty.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Threw a bd party for the wife (gf at the time).  Thought it was good idea to order a bunch of fried chicken.  She also cooked up some gizzards.  The gizzards were gone in minutes while we were left eating fried chicken for a week.

Mostly her co-scholarship people from Equitorial Guinea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Haven't read all 4 pages, but someone should say that eating the brains of infected cows in the UK led to the spread of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, or "Mad Cow Disease") among animal herds - and eventually humans.

There's just some parts of animals that are better left to the scavengers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Probably because they come from poor ass cultures who historically had to eat that slop because they had nothing else to eat.  They had to make a goat last 6 months.

Our ancestors were smarter so they didnt have to eat cocks, balls, tongues and buttholes.
View Quote
Just because you don't HAVE to doesn't mean you don't WANT to...

I love liver and onions, and tongue is delicious too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I eat the skin on chicken/fried chicken.

Skin is an organ!
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

WTH is that?

Grilled penis or something?

View Quote
Grilled small instestines. It’s fucking delicious. Same with blood sausages, grilled sweetbread, grilled kidneys. They also make a dish using the cow’s stomach that’s fucking delicious https://therealargentina.com/en/recipe-for-argentine-locro/
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#26]
For me, the best part about going to a churrascaria (Brazilain steakhouse) is the chicken hearts.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Back in the day, organ meat was known as "inside meat" and popular among folks of limited means.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Wh2p said its not common? Im from Argentina, we cut the cow in half and pretty much eat everything in it. (And its all delicious)
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:11:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm sure others have eaten more (types/amounts) than me, but here's my observations.

Liver (deer, cow) just tastes nasty.  I don't care how many onions/peppers get fried with it.

Kidney (pig) has a bitter taste, even when soaked in salt water overnight twice (water changed the next day).

Brains (pig) is nasty even when stirred up in fresh eggs.

As a kid I had this thing for chicken livers/hearts rolled in flour and deep fried.  I can remember my mom fixing them for me and me asking for more.

A few years ago I was talking about that to my wife, so she bought some chicken livers at the store.  Damn, my tastes have changed I guess.  They were nasty.  I don't need that stuff anymore.

I'm not that hungry.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The organs are where all the vitamins and nutrition are at.  There is a reason a cat eats the whole rat and not just the meat off it.
View Quote
People aren't cats.  Cats require it because their bodies don't otherwise produce those nutrients.  Humans are omnivores and generally need to eat some plants.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Argentines say we throw away the best parts of the animal.

http://i2.wp.com/anatravels.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/argentinean-achuras.jpg

And I agree!
View Quote
just to educate the  "cuz we not poor" ignorants:
its often the case that many of these organs are more expensive than the actual beef becuase properly cooked they are in fact a delicacy. A cow has lots of meat around but only so much sweetbreats, kidneys, etc.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
The same reason my family doesn’t share bath water. We have options.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
The organ meats can be higher in cholesterol which is one turnoff for me. My late father, who grew up in upstate New York during the Great Depression, would eat organ meat as that is what they had back then and he had a taste for it. Frankly I did not like the taste but he would eat heart, liver, intestines, gizzard and whatever else.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Haven't read all 4 pages, but someone should say that eating the brains of infected cows in the UK led to the spread of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, or "Mad Cow Disease") among animal herds - and eventually humans.

There's just some parts of animals that are better left to the scavengers.
View Quote
There is alleged to be a brain disease developing in Appalachia among folks who have been eating squirrel brains for several decades.

That is turning out to have been a not-so-good idea.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Grilled small instestines. It’s fucking delicious. Same with blood sausages, grilled sweetbread, grilled kidneys. They also make a dish using the cow’s stomach that’s fucking delicious https://therealargentina.com/en/recipe-for-argentine-locro/
View Quote
I tried blood sausage once at the house of a French-Canadian friend of mine.

To say that I didn't care for it would be a gross understatement.

I couldn't even swallow it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The organ meats can be higher in cholesterol which is one turnoff for me. My late father, who grew up in upstate New York during the Great Depression, would eat organ meat as that is what they had back then and he had a taste for it. Frankly I did not like the taste but he would eat heart, liver, intestines, gizzard and whatever else.
View Quote
Dietary cholesterol has absolutely nothing to do with circulating cholesterol.

Your liver manufactures the shit and puts it into your blood stream.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#38]
My parents love liver.  Chitliins are popular here in some circles. Folks put squirrel brains in their eggs too.

Me, I like meat not guts but I would eat what it took to stay alive if needed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#39]
I love sausage and liverwurst and Braunschweiger and Scrapple.
Foie Gras is my personal decadent favorite.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I think part of it is because many of these foods use to be cheaper, so they became associated with "poor folk food".  Thus many of these foods have a stigma attached to them - even though some (many?) of them are actually more expensive than actual meat these days.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Because I also don't like sucking on a handful of pennies either which is what I think of when I hear organ meat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Because it's disgusting and unnecessary.
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread reminded me that I need to go buy some chicken livers.

I just boil them, but maybe I need to try them fried.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:34:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Duck pate. Delicious!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Ghoulish poverty meats
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Because I also don't like sucking on a handful of pennies either which is what I think of when I hear organ meat.
View Quote
You know, hotdogs are pretty much all dicks, balls, asswholes and ears..and thats some of the least disgusting parts in that shit.
Bet many here that cringe at the idea of eating organs you can actually ID wouldnt hesitste to eat a nice hotdog.
They are just as clueless about the food they eat as millennials against hunting but in favor of getting your meat from Styrofoam trays at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Because each generation becomes bigger and bigger pussies.
View Quote
This thread is da-da-damn proof.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Peckers, testiclees, buttholes and related plumbing - No thankyou please.
View Quote
All mixed into the ??
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Eating it hinges on the levels of starvation you've experienced.

Drove home out out of the woods one morning after a coon hunt with my uncle. Late 70s. We took a detour through "The Quarters" in town. Uncle asked me to grab the possum he'd killed. Unc drove through with the criiter  hanging out of the window. We did not make it three blocks and an old black man flagged him down, negotiated and took the possum for $2.

I tell Unc: "I can't believe he bought that nasty damn thing!" He gave me a hard look and this: "That old man lived through the Depression and you didn't cull any food that came your way in those days. Plus, if it's cooked right, it's good." I told him I'd rather starve.

At our family reunion a while later he asked me how I like that BBQ sammich he'd served me from his grill.   Yes, he did. :) It actually was tasty.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Inside out pigs' assholes anyone?
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top