Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I never got a black rifle until 12 years after I got out of the Corps. Thanks Obama. He prompted me to buy one. I got a SIG 556. It's a good rifle. Then I decided to build an A2 style like the one I had in service. I had forgotten how ingrained the handling of that weapon was to me. I since have many more AR's of various sorts. Fight like you train, the AR platform just makes sense to most people who pick it up. If I find myself in extreme cold for a prolonged time, I can always fall back on the SIG but I prefer the AR. Same ammo, same mags etc.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You broke firing pins?
View Quote
Should have gone with trigger springs, people would have believed that lol.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wot in tardnation is going on in here?

Shits where it eats!1!
ARs won't work if they're dirty!1!!
Muh delicate flowers!!
AKs are superior tech, comrade.

It's like I've walked into Bills Discount Gun Emporium and listened to all the Navy Ranger Parajumpers swap stories about Nam.

The most reliable, user serviceable, low maintenance semi-auto rifle you can buy today is an AR platform.  Add in a super simple manual of arms, metric shit tonnes of spare parts, mags and ammo available and there is no question what a non-mongoloid would chose as a "prepper rifle".
View Quote
Not gonna lie, when you said 'tonnes' all British like, I got a little creamy in my underpants region.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
This will be adequate for my needs

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not gonna lie, when you said 'tonnes' all British like, I got a little creamy in my underpants region.
View Quote

Well, if you are speaking in metric, you have to use the correct nomenclature.

Metric shit weight is always measured in tonnes.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Everything has pros and cons.

Your 'I have a hard time breaking it' rifle would be a G3 variant I think.

But you're not going to find as much ammo, mags, and replacement parts if any around.

Without rule of law for a few days to a week, probably AR15.

Bugging out on the roads of post apocalyptic whatever after 3 years of us being kicked back to the stone age.. probably a rusty G3 or AK.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This! Author is a retard
View Quote
But the Mini-14 dude is certainly giving him a run for the title.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I gave up on the AR after I broke my 8th front pivot pin.

I now only own guns that don’t pivot or flower!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/Brown-Bess-1-e1523460845203_jpg-885172.JPG
Dude, it's RustedAce

Attachment Attached File

ULTIMATE WEAPON ACTIVATE
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This! Author is a retard
If you're referring to the guy who posted about the guys from Little Creek liking it, I'm pretty sure you need to send your sarcasm meter in for recalibration.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Snip

The gas tube is thin, fragile and subject to bending or breakingusually taking the rifle out of commission.
Snip
View Quote
To the author of that article.
M4 vs. M4a1 carbine; destructive testing
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude, it's RustedAce

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/456826/31FPqKedGKL__SX425__jpg-885184.JPG

ULTIMATE WEAPON ACTIVATE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I now only own guns that don't pivot or flower!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40084/Brown-Bess-1-e1523460845203_jpg-885172.JPG
Dude, it's RustedAce

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/456826/31FPqKedGKL__SX425__jpg-885184.JPG

ULTIMATE WEAPON ACTIVATE
I am ready.

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m a shtf long term scenario the AR has the advantage bec of parts
But in the immediate shtf scenario I think there are better options and better weapons
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
But in the immediate shtf scenario I think there are better options and better weapons
View Quote
Which one, and why?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
yes

Quoted:
no
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The people who took SCAR 16s on deployment threw them away and got thier real guns back as fast as they could.
View Quote
Socom had issues w the scar17 not 16 if I’m not mistaken
I don’t have a 17 bec it eats up scopes, is way too expensive and I don’t like the proprietary mags
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The people who took SCAR 16s on deployment threw them away and got thier real guns back as fast as they could.
View Quote
Details please?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Details please?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details please?
Yes please
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don’t have a 17 bec it eats up scopes, is way too expensive and I don’t like the proprietary mags
View Quote
Seriously?  Glad I never bought one.  I have a S16 but never picked up the 17.  What is the problem?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought money was no consideration and you could buy multiples of whatever rifle you choose?

SCAR 17 too expensive?  Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes please
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details please?
Yes please
Issues I've heard for the SCAR L (16) were broken stock hinges, broken triggers and seized gas plugs. The trigger also is a bitch to replace, without a special tool or a third hand, from what I've been told.

I had a SCAR 16, was fun and I enjoyed the rifle but it wasn't better than my AR setups. Parted ways with it, if it were 1200-1500, I'd get another just for fun.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Issues I've heard for the SCAR L (16) were broken stock hinges, broken triggers and seized gas plugs. The trigger also is a bitch to replace, without a special tool or a third hand, from what I've been told.

I had a SCAR 16, was fun and I enjoyed the rifle but it wasn't better than my AR setups. Parted ways with it, if it were 1200-1500, I'd get another just for fun.
View Quote
The bold part I can weigh in on because I've taken my lower apart because I like to take things apart.  It's tricky to put the trigger in but IDK about special tools or third hands.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The bold part I can weigh in on because I've taken my lower apart because I like to take things apart.  It's tricky to put the trigger in but IDK about special tools or third hands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy of mine that was in and used it mentioned only that it was a pain in the ass without them. It's still doable but not as simple/straightforward as that found on the AR.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And I have a skill that’s needed in times like that so I’ll always be a valuable asset
View Quote
Good at sucking dick?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here is the thing about prepping and SHTF. You really don't know how long it will go on for. Also many preppers and doomers seem to think SHTF is going to be one big nonstop firefight, going on ops and generally playing Army as if it were WW3 and think weapons above al else. Even to the point of ignoring long term logistics. To most of them its a chance to fulfill some SHTF combat dream or something.

If the SHTF ones priority should of course be avoiding all gunplay at all times. IF SHTF should try not to lone wolf it as there will be groups, better equipped logistically and better suited to outlast you, be it in firefight / raid or just making it to the long term by benefit of familiarity of resources.  A small group of dudes with mismatched shit or an individual trying to make it a go with rare items will most likely not be around in the long term, possibly not even the short or intermediate. Way easier to link up with friendlies and maintain supply by keeping kits mostly the same, you will do better even in the short or intermediate term than the guys with jumbled together boutique gear.

Of course all this means little if your crew don't know what the fuck they are doing.  Commonality of weapons and supplies makes training easier and training is life. Literally.

To be honest neither of us are wrong. If its going to most likely just you and plan on staying that way for a while, nothing wrong with what you are doing. Foe me I have a lot of friends and loved ones that I will be looking after and could spend 2-3x on rifles alone but when building mid range wit some high end parts where it counts rifles. I more easily can arm up a squad wit 10 mags mags each and optics and ammo to train with for everyone. Right now most would be hitting it with Primary Arms 3x and 1x optics as they are "good enough" and are known to take a decent ass kicking so regular banging around isn't as worrisome. (We ain't jumping at 30k then hitting salt water before a target)

So like all things its what you expect to maybe need. I prefer to have the flexibility of arming up allies and having commonality and the benefits it entails for short, intermediate, or long term.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The AR is a more durable platform than the AK.

By the time you need to replace the bolt on your AR (a $60 drop in replacement part), many AKs will have shot their trunnions loose.

SKSs and Mini-14's break parts too.

Mags are often the first thing to break. AR mags are cheap and can be found anywhere.
View Quote

PSSST...Don't tell the Polytech/Norinco AKs that have been here since the 80's, with thousands upon thousands of rounds thru them when ammo. was $60 for a 1K case, that their trunnions should be shot loose by now....BWAHAHAHA !!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

PSSST...Don't tell the Polytech/Norinco AKs that have been here since the 80's, with thousands upon thousands of rounds thru them when ammo. was $60 for a 1K case, that their trunnions should be shot loose by now....BWAHAHAHA !!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The AR is a more durable platform than the AK.

By the time you need to replace the bolt on your AR (a $60 drop in replacement part), many AKs will have shot their trunnions loose.

SKSs and Mini-14's break parts too.

Mags are often the first thing to break. AR mags are cheap and can be found anywhere.

How many AKs do you own which have seen 25,000 or more rounds? That's generally considered to be around the round count where quality AR bolts start cracking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Got that covered, thank God!

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How many times has that happened to you?
View Quote
Almost got me once shooting PMC 55gr. with bras over bolt but it instead took a double feed course of fucking up and the resulting round stuck in the upper pinned the bolt back enough to get the spent case out of the upper but it wasn't quick and was aggravating. Rifle was Bushmaster XM-15, still have it, though I trashed the mag that malfunction occurred with 'cause I wasn't risking THAT shit again.

Picture a spent case up around the gas tube in the upper, with another round released from the mag but not chambered wedged in the partially open action. It was NOT hinging open (first thing I tried). Only other option was taking a small flathead screwdriver and getting in there thru the ejection port to lightly work it (case) around trying not to break/gouge/fuck up anything while doing so until you get it out. That sucked.

Thought about jerking the charging handle like a gorilla but on second thought with the way it was in there it looked like it may have made it worse and jammed tighter instead of clearing it. So I dug it out with a flathead screwdriver until I got the spent case to drop enough to clear it.

Never had it happen since but did hear from a few people who got popped primer into the cam pin notch in the upper and stopped it cold. Not sure what ammo was being used as I got the info second hand, it was in the form of telling me how lucky I was to be able to clear mine without a trip to the gunsmith (how a primer would get in there or how to get it out remains a mystery to me). Knew of a DPMS Arctic Panther model with varmint SS barrel that didn't run worth a shit unless it was immaculately clean and lubed, wouldn't go thru much more than 100 rds without having multiple feeding issues.

I've since added a second Bushmaster (before they were bought out) and a couple of PSA builds to the stable. Still though I prefer a gun I can pop the top in the event of a malfunction to better get at the problem & with some working room within. Haven't had a problem other than occasional stove pipe or FTF from a mag issue.

I'm a sample size of exactly one But since you asked that was my experience with it and it kinda soured me on the AR a bit for the reasons I stated.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

How many AKs do you own which have seen 25,000 or more rounds? That's generally considered to be around the round count where quality AR bolts start cracking.
View Quote
Without serious metallurgical analysis of EACH AR bolt you have no idea what imperfection it could contain resulting in a failure before some assigned round count, hence MPI and shot peening, but that doesn't always catch everything . Same as 25 K round AKs, I personally ever only saw one chinese AK underfolder with a cracked rear rivet, it was a class 3 F/A and had God only knows how many rounds thru it at that point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It is really good to have a few but when shtf.. AK time.
View Quote
This is my first choice.  My Polish under folder will travel with me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#41]
AR15 is fine for almost anything.  You can configure it for many different situations and customize it what you are comfortable with.

For SHTF, the SKS is probably much more of a purist's survival rifle.

Would also be hard to beat a suppressed 10/22
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
AR15 is fine for almost anything.  You can configure it for many different situations and customize it what you are comfortable with.  

For SHTF, the SKS is probably much more of a purist's survival rifle.  

Would also be hard to beat a suppressed 10/22
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:28:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm a shtf long term scenario the AR has the advantage bec of parts
View Quote
You DON'T "think" that.  You FEEL that way, because of what you've heard from knuckleheads and hucksters like the author of that garbage "article", and you're basing your decision on feels.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#44]
What a fucking retard.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Almost got me once shooting PMC 55gr. with bras over bolt but it instead took a double feed course of fucking up and the resulting round stuck in the upper pinned the bolt back enough to get the spent case out of the upper but it wasn't quick and was aggravating. Rifle was Bushmaster XM-15, still have it, though I trashed the mag that malfunction occurred with 'cause I wasn't risking THAT shit again.

Picture a spent case up around the gas tube in the upper, with another round released from the mag but not chambered wedged in the partially open action. It was NOT hinging open (first thing I tried). Only other option was taking a small flathead screwdriver and getting in there thru the ejection port to lightly work it (case) around trying not to break/gouge/fuck up anything while doing so until you get it out. That sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many times has that happened to you?

Bolt overrides are cleared by fingering the bolt back and racking the charging handle back and karate chopping it forward.

It's a pretty basic malfunction to clear, though not the most common.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#46]
He is totally correct. In an actual SHTF/Doom scenario the old flintlocks would be great!
1. No need for primers
2. No need for brass
3. Need for bullet molds.(Hensley&Gibbs preferred)
4. Need for black powder (you do know how to make good powder, yes?)
5. A good source of flint. And I assume you losers can make a decent lock.
6. Barrel making. If you have to ask how, you are already doomed. Assume the fetal position
and cry for mommy.

Or....ignore retard and buy what you want. With superior results.

Being this is GD....get both.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:49:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Bolt overrides are cleared by fingering the bolt back and racking the charging handle back and karate chopping it forward.

View Quote
...and with a charging handle on the side, it’s so easy you may not even realize what the malfunction was (I have a side-charging AR).  Always nice during a class with malfunction drills to be back up and running when everyone else is going Bruce Lee on their rifles.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:28:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...and with a charging handle on the side, it’s so easy you may not even realize what the malfunction was (I have a side-charging AR).  Always nice during a class with malfunction drills to be back up and running when everyone else is going Bruce Lee on their rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No reason the go "Bruce Lee" to clear double feeds.

Blindfolded malfunctions demonstration
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thought about jerking the charging handle like a gorilla but on second thought with the way it was in there it looked like it may have made it worse and jammed tighter instead of clearing it. So I dug it out with a flathead screwdriver until I got the spent case to drop enough to clear it.

Never had it happen since but did hear from a few people who got popped primer into the cam pin notch in the upper and stopped it cold. Not sure what ammo was being used as I got the info second hand, it was in the form of telling me how lucky I was to be able to clear mine without a trip to the gunsmith (how a primer would get in there or how to get it out remains a mystery to me). Knew of a DPMS Arctic Panther model with varmint SS barrel that didn't run worth a shit unless it was immaculately clean and lubed, wouldn't go thru much more than 100 rds without having multiple feeding issues.

I've since added a second Bushmaster (before they were bought out) and a couple of PSA builds to the stable. Still though I prefer a gun I can pop the top in the event of a malfunction to better get at the problem & with some working room within. Haven't had a problem other than occasional stove pipe or FTF from a mag issue.

I'm a sample size of exactly one But since you asked that was my experience with it and it kinda soured me on the AR a bit for the reasons I stated.
View Quote
So the AR sucks because you don't know how to clear a malfunction?

Super legit.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top