BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s part of it.   Hopefully, it’s durable enough where o won’t need parts any time soon.  And If it’s that bad there should be plenty of guns to grab including tons of ARs.   This is for my go to weapon.  The weapon that won’t break down bec it’s fragile.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.readyman.com/blogs/black-autumn/why-the-ar-15-sucks-for-preppers?fbclid=IwAR2QJhv47QmcWZ50tBdPfsaST8cJfBdbnMDprf46KqLdZVVoHbWabSst__U

What do you think of this statement by the above author?

I think some of it is true.
I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I’m not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I’m rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robertson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

What other weapons of its class have you experienced that you think are better than the AR15?

PS  it sure how to make the link above hot
Just curious, but how many spare parts do you think you will find laying around for that Tavor or SCAR?
That’s part of it.   Hopefully, it’s durable enough where o won’t need parts any time soon.  And If it’s that bad there should be plenty of guns to grab including tons of ARs.   This is for my go to weapon.  The weapon that won’t break down bec it’s fragile.
Further, for the same money, would you rather have yourself and your one basic Tavor or an AR for yourself and two buddies.
I know what I would pick.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The author of that garbage is full of shit, and I question his opinion on nearly everything after reading that dumpster fire of an argument.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just curious, but how many spare parts do you think you will find laying around for that Tavor or SCAR?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.readyman.com/blogs/black-autumn/why-the-ar-15-sucks-for-preppers?fbclid=IwAR2QJhv47QmcWZ50tBdPfsaST8cJfBdbnMDprf46KqLdZVVoHbWabSst__U

I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I’m not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I’m rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robertson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

What other weapons of its class have you experienced that you think are better than the AR15?

I keep a fair number of parts available for my rifles -never rely on scrounging.  That said, the AR has come a long way, and with some simple maintenance is reliable.  NEVER depend on ANYTHING you aren't willing to learn to do basic maintenance on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’d rather have a rifle that won’t break down as often to need parts. And if it’s that bad and hard to find parts for a Tavor or scar then there will be plenty of guns laying around to pick up
View Quote
I would rather have a rifle that won't break down and ceramic plates and a bunch of ammo and mags for the same price as your Tavor.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Then why are you asking us?  Go buy one of those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So far I like better than my ARs
TavorX95 & Aug
XCR
B&T
Para FAL
Soon scar16

Also have a Russian AK but it’s not my favorite
Then why are you asking us?  Go buy one of those.
I have them all except the scar    And that’s on the way
Just wondering what others thought. And if they have the aaba
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just shilling for clicks.

What he points out is insanity, not seeing the worst of a system.

"Flowers don't belong in assault rifles. Some say the star chamber provides accuracy. It does not. Bolt-action sniper rifles don't have star chambers."

He doesn't list a bad military/ overseas/ personal experience happening with ARs. (Only people showing up at his range with ammo/guns of unlisted quality) They are just bad because they have flowers.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:51:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bet if i search around my work bench, I could come up with a complete set of springs or two, with the exception of the buffer spring. Those are a little harder to launch and lose.
View Quote
Right now. Some dude in the mountains of pakighanistan is building an AR, with hammered out parts from discarded Russian T72s and helicopter parts.

Yet not one detent spring in the US to be found....
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
exotic flavors suck to get parts for when we are living in a first world utopia, what aboot a zombie fuckpocalypse
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you need for shtf is an HK91, some face paint, and a first aid kit.
https://i.imgur.com/9BoqMok.jpg
BRING ME THE GUN OF CHUCK NORRIS. Rambo is a pussy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#11]
yes but what's the alternative? there's just no "perfect weapon", if the author has any suggestion of a much better alternative, we certainly would love to hear it
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#12]
In the military we are taught that the AR-15 is a fine weapon “as long as you maintain it.”
View Quote
The military also has taught people to improperly maintain their rifles for years. So, yeah.

Any number of things can cause the lugs not to pass efficiently through the star portion of the chamber: dirt, heat expansion, ice, wobbly bolt carrier or wear and tear. All can cause a bolt to seat incorrectly in the chamber, or not to extract after firing, causing a whole host of malfunctions.  This is one of the reasons the forward assist was developed.
View Quote
No, the FA was developed because the Army wanted one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That article is nearly copy pasta from THR or from Fred's M14 stocks circa 2004.

The arguments presented are absolutely RETARDED.

Pro Tip: the AKM series of rifles is absolutely garbage for keeping foreign objects/debris out of the action AND they really do jam up easily despite the rambling talking points of 1960's "mouse gun" arguments.
View Quote
So it's pretty much plagiarized?  Isn't the guy at "readyman" the same dishonest fuck behind the RATS tourniquet?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#14]
That article is just about the most retarded thing I have read in a good long while.
I gave up on it about half way through.

All the article proves is that opinions are like assholes; everybody has one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#15]
To some extent, the guy isn't wrong. The AR is not the gun for a lot of preppers. Of course, the Ruger 10/22 isn't the right gun for a lot of preppers, either. I've known preppers that I would not have trusted with a slinghot, never mind a gun.
Preppers seem to come in two flavors: Smart, careful people who prepare, practice, and train for things they hope will never happen, and whacked-out nutjobs that seemingly can't wait for the Zombie Apocalypse so they can use all the stuff they have.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Same 'Tard that thinks AR's are "too complex for preppers" Also wrote an article about belt-feds for preppers.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:10:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Weapons break - often not from shooting them, but from being carried everyday.  Things like bent front sight posts, bent barrels, broken/crushed stocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well OP, while I certainly like other rifles better than the AR, there are a ton of people here who fervently believe the AR is absolutely perfect.  They will be along shortly to say so...

ETA:  I wonder about the "spare parts" argument.  In 10's of thousands of rounds, I'm trying to think of a single time I needed to replace a part that actually broke.
Battlefield Vegas has a schedule for AR parts replacement, but it starts at something like 5,000 rounds, which is a lifetime in SHTF.
Parts for most rifles can be pretty inexpensive, so you can have a small stock of parts before SHTF.

And no, I'm not wasting any time on the article.
Weapons break - often not from shooting them, but from being carried everyday.  Things like bent front sight posts, bent barrels, broken/crushed stocks.
So are you going to carry a spare stock, a spare barrel, and a spare... front sight post...?
At that point, you may as well carry a spare rifle.  I think many people consider “spare parts” for an AR to be an extractor and some springs and things.

I have not encountered a situation, across all my firearms (pistol or rifle) where I needed a spare part to return it to functioning condition.  (Lord knows I have replaced absolutely scads of parts, but it wasn’t because they needed to be replaced for the firearm to function.)

I’m not saying don’t have spare parts or firearms never break, I just question the validity of the argument for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
No, it's short shorts and a FAL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you need for shtf is an HK91, some face paint, and a first aid kit.
No, it's short shorts and a FAL.
Only if you want to be a man among men!
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:14:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#20]
The first couple paragraphs of that blog serve to warn the reader there is absolutely no reason to continue reading and any opinion the author holds should be discounted as fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Laughs in "Filthy 14."
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Wrong ! Fake news ! That guy is a rump camando !
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Another thing to remember is that a ton of those small, easy-to-lose springs, detents, and other small parts in an AR...

The gun will still function without them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:18:37 AM EDT
[#24]
People with blogs or you tube channels have to always post new content.  This content cannot be stuff you already know or you will quit following them.  Their good stuff is already used up.  So they need some kind of hook.   Commonly that hook is an exception to what you know, or a new "easy way" to do something that is not easy.  (sharpen your knife, etc)  And they just continue to spread bullshit.   for example see the youtube guy that sharpens knives by putting 2 nuts on a bolt  then puts the bolt in a drill and drags his knife through the gap between the nuts.  Simpletons flock to info like that.

My example is an easy one to spot,  but as you watch or read all of these you need to be a sceptic.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh muh god, he's right. we've been doing it all wrong.

Jackass belongs in a gun store.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Same 'Tard that thinks AR's are "too complex for preppers" Also wrote an article about belt-feds for preppers.

View Quote
Lol how can anyone take anything this fucktard says seriously?

Attachment Attached File

Look at my wife shooting my PKM in my avatar
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I'm not engaged in combat there are many good choices.

5.56 is not particularly stealthy when fired. And waaaaaaay too powerful for small edibles.

But an AR with a drop in 22 conversion kit in your bag would be a viable combo.
View Quote
Just aim for the noggin.

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:23:40 AM EDT
[#28]
OP should be banned and 6 months of community service for this crime of a post.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#29]
They do have some good blog articles, but when they post something that defies the prepper convention, they seem to get a lot of pushback from their readers.

Case in point: bug out bags

They have a couple of posts on the harsh realities of pack weight vs mission success, and seemed to get a lot of pushback … apparently from people who have never tried to actually do this stuff.  The harsh reality of not being able to take your ultimate rifle loadout, plate carrier, beanie babies, and everything else found at a gun show seem to trouble their readers - with comments like "a bug out isn't the same as a casual hike, you need to bring moar stuff!"  And, to their credit, it seems they even tried to arrange a 65 mile bugout demo (no vehicles) between several of their staffers/contributors, but it doesn't seem to have panned out.

The AK stuff obviously panders to their base.  It's a safe article for them to post.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I’ve had several boutique rifles.

I still have AR’s.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#32]
I feel like that was all written sarcastically
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I feel like that was all written sarcastically
View Quote
No... he's actually retarded.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Peppers aren't gearing up for fights, their mentality is to survive long term disaster situations. Self defense, hunting and general utility is how they think.

ARs are fighting rifles and they work really good for that purpose.

I've owned every battle rifle out there, in every caliber.

They all work, they all do their job. It's all about preference.

However, from a practical standpoint an AR has its advantages here in the U.S. above other rifles.

Magazines, ammo and spare parts.

They can be worked on with basic tools, and can be adapted to other calibers easily. Cops and military have them, they are plentiful.

A 10" barreled pistol can be broken in two halves and put in a back pack with 300 rounds, tell me that alone isn't a huge advantage.

You're not doing that with most other rifles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Article is so chock full of failure, I don't know where to begin.

I have several AR15s that have gone 1000 rounds of more with NO cleaning.

With anything even resembling a regular maintenance schedule, a properly built AR is dead nuts reliable as well as one of the most accurate rifles in its class.

Author is a liar. He is, at best, a REMF who is repeating fish stories from Private Snuffy.

At worst, he is a simple gun shop retard with access to a military weapons manual.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I mean...the guy cites Gen. Scales, for fuck's sake.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#37]
You can pick any design appart if you have the energy

Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

So are you going to carry a spare stock, a spare barrel, and a spare... front sight post...?
At that point, you may as well carry a spare rifle.  I think many people consider "spare parts" for an AR to be an extractor and some springs and things.

I have not encountered a situation, across all my firearms (pistol or rifle) where I needed a spare part to return it to functioning condition.  (Lord knows I have replaced absolutely scads of parts, but it wasn't because they needed to be replaced for the firearm to function.)

I'm not saying don't have spare parts or firearms never break, I just question the validity of the argument for SHTF.
View Quote
You're missing my point.  It's less about what you're going to swap in the field and more about what you will be able to fix over time.

Personally I've got 30+ AR's.  If one goes down (and I don't have the part needed laying around), it's parts for the others.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I would say then author is quite retarded. A huge part of prepping is making sure your shit (all of it) has commonality of resources. An AR platform when your nations military's standard issue weapon is virtually the same thing and when it is THE most common rifle in that country? Yes the AR make perfect sense and absolutely does not suck for preps
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#40]
who's the idiot ,,,,,,,,,  ar is the best all around weapon conceived   by man........
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#41]
In shtf there are plenty of parts lying around

And keeping them maintained is not that hard...
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Wasn't that what Larry Vickers did? There was an interview where he mentioned that and came to the same conclusion.
View Quote
Pretty sure Vickers went through back when you had to be at least an E5 and only came from Infantry, Medical, Commo or Engineers to even go to SFAS
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:06:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Everyone needs something to worry about apparently......when S really HTF.....nobody is going to care what they have, as long as they have something.
View Quote
At first probably yes but down the road? Get into a fight and run your mags dry and you are the only dude that cant just have a spare mag tossed to him and put into action. Hell you might have to unass your AO quick and shit gets left behind and spare parts and mags are gone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I myself thought the AR15 was the best all around weapon. But, after owning and shooting other weapons I'm not sure it is as good as I thought.
I have DI and GP AR15s. But I'm rethinking my go to weapon as I experience other weapons like the Tavor, Robertson XCR, Scar, B&T APC....

Well, after you kills some SEALs and IDF fags, they'll be lying all around the house.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
[youtube]PApRcRE-ft8?t=489[/youtube]

@8:09

What parts would you need? Barrel replacements and a few springs?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pretty sure Vickers went through back when you had to be at least an E5 and only came from Infantry, Medical, Commo or Engineers to even go to SFAS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't that what Larry Vickers did? There was an interview where he mentioned that and came to the same conclusion.
Nope, Larry Vickers went straight from AIT to Jump School to SF.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know what you did to fuck up your M16 / M4 in the military but my A1s and 2s were beat to fuck, and had the shit shot out of them and they never failed me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#48]
lol, preppers
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#49]
In an Idealized RKBA realm, the boyscouts would have a field strip and change an M4 firing pin portion of the klondike derby.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#50]
More of the same ol BS written by someone who doesn’t have the slightest clue in regards to the mechanical action of how the gun operates and why malfunctions occur.

100% fucking derp.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top