Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering they make their revolvers with 4.2" bbls so that they can be sold in Canada, they're ok in my books.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's your sample size?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know about hate but I would never recommend a basic Ruger 10-22 as a first semi .22 what with their quality issues.
The idea of Ruger's basic 10-22 today seems more of a "here is a so-so .22, now throw money at it to get it to run right".
That said Ruger's LCR, American Rimfire, and TD 10-22 are very nice weapons. The trader Bill Ruger is long dead along with his ideas at the company so if they would get their basic 10-22 up to snuff I would have no issue with them.

You know that there are a whole bunch of "basic" 10/22s. Maybe ten different models.  Which one sucks again?

All the taper barrel models save the TD. Hell it's not unusual to see them come out of the box with a loose V-block. No excuse for that.

What's your sample size?

P-value? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-value
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If I am an anything fanboy it is Ruger. I have several of their fine pieces of investment casting. 3 of them stainless and a 10/22 that has been flawless and even cycles on sub sonics.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't know about hate but I would never recommend a basic Ruger 10-22 as a first semi .22 what with their quality issues.
The idea of Ruger's basic 10-22 today seems more of a "here is a so-so .22, now throw money at it to get it to run right".
That said Ruger's LCR, American Rimfire, and TD 10-22 are very nice weapons. The trader Bill Ruger is long dead along with his ideas at the company so if they would get their basic 10-22 up to snuff I would have no issue with them.
View Quote

I'd value someone's opinion more if they knew the difference between trader and traitor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Old Bill Ruger (May satan be fucking his ass in hell) fucked us in '94.

Also they make piece of shit, redneck guns. Plus Bill was a cocksucking traitor piece of shit.
View Quote

Rugers are known for being over engineered. They are far from shit redneck guns. I have a friend that has several thousand rounds of 5.56 through his mini 14 with a .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rugers are known for being over engineered. They are far from shit redneck guns. I have a friend that has several thousand rounds of 5.56 through his mini 14 with a .223 chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old Bill Ruger (May satan be fucking his ass in hell) fucked us in '94.

Also they make piece of shit, redneck guns. Plus Bill was a cocksucking traitor piece of shit.

Overbuilt

An HK is over engineered
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
b/c bill ruger was a fudd bootlicker.

also b/c mini 14s and their bolt guns can't hit shit, used to anyway.

also b/c they never made good mags for mini30s

also b/c their mini 14 mags were too pensive

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with my taper barrel.  It's going to Randy at CPC for a chamber and crown, but I tend to dick around with all of my Rugers.   It's fine with good ammo.   My marlins will out shoot it, but I really can't complain for what it is.   No vblock issues either.  I think most can't shoot better than they can make excuses
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know that there are a whole bunch of "basic" 10/22s. Maybe ten different models.  Which one sucks again?

All the taper barrel models save the TD. Hell it's not unusual to see them come out of the box with a loose V-block. No excuse for that.

Nothing wrong with my taper barrel.  It's going to Randy at CPC for a chamber and crown, but I tend to dick around with all of my Rugers.   It's fine with good ammo.   My marlins will out shoot it, but I really can't complain for what it is.   No vblock issues either.  I think most can't shoot better than they can make excuses

Dollar for dollar, where do you get more for your money in a .22? Marlin, Ruger or elsewhere? I have a Marlin, and it is awesome. However, I'd prefer a magazine over a tube for my next purchase. Everyone says Remington sucks, I've looked at Savage too. At a glance, there doesn't seem to be significant differences. I have noticed that the Rugers have a lot more after market parts and mags.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No.

It is folks like you claim you sit on the sideline, and say, "I am just waiting for the ideal candidate to come along. Then. Then I will vote Republican. Oh, none of them are pure in every single way. Might as well attack conservative Republicans, and you all might as well support liberal Democrats."

A troll could never last here by outright saying, "vote democrat." But, "the Republican isn't perfect, might as well, might as well vote for the liberal Democrat," is somehow a popular stance.

Ruger was a Fudd. S and W was stupid for making deals with the DoJ. All the manufacturers were complicit in being willing to compromise with Democrats...

But it was the fault of Democrats turning screws that scared gun manufacturers into going-off half-cocked.

You like to exempt reality from your attacks of conservatives. You like to leave-out important context as you build your straw-man before you tear it down.

Context is everything.

Political reality is everything.

The fact that Democrat mayors were suing gun manufacturers, and the case was making its way through the courts is important context.

Leave it out, in a discussion of why all manufacturers started acting funny, and the manufacturers all acting funny makes no sense.

Leaving out the fact that Reagan dealt with democrat majorities is leaving-out important context of compromise Reagan had to make. Same with Romney. Romney had to deal with Democrat super-majorities.

Political reality is everything. Context is everything. You seem interested in panting with a broad brush and leaving-out important elements of context as you build your straw-man...

Yeah... The ideal, perfect, pure conservative ony exists in the minds of liberal Democrats and the certified retarded...

And the political reality of the situation back-then was that every manufacturer was acting stupid because they reacted wrongly to a growing political threat created solely by --wait for it-- LIBERAL DEMOCRATS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow.  I can lead you to water, but I can't make you drink.  

I accept that some here (you, Pensky, that guy from CA) want to rationalize anti-2A behavior when the actor is someone who should be defending the 2A.  At the same time, you imply that I'm a liberal sympathizer when I point out the obvious: there are some R's who are no friend of the 2A.  That's pretty sad.  

I'll await your defense of Chris Christie.  People like you are the reason people like Christie get the R nomination.  

No.

It is folks like you claim you sit on the sideline, and say, "I am just waiting for the ideal candidate to come along. Then. Then I will vote Republican. Oh, none of them are pure in every single way. Might as well attack conservative Republicans, and you all might as well support liberal Democrats."

A troll could never last here by outright saying, "vote democrat." But, "the Republican isn't perfect, might as well, might as well vote for the liberal Democrat," is somehow a popular stance.

Ruger was a Fudd. S and W was stupid for making deals with the DoJ. All the manufacturers were complicit in being willing to compromise with Democrats...

But it was the fault of Democrats turning screws that scared gun manufacturers into going-off half-cocked.

You like to exempt reality from your attacks of conservatives. You like to leave-out important context as you build your straw-man before you tear it down.

Context is everything.

Political reality is everything.

The fact that Democrat mayors were suing gun manufacturers, and the case was making its way through the courts is important context.

Leave it out, in a discussion of why all manufacturers started acting funny, and the manufacturers all acting funny makes no sense.

Leaving out the fact that Reagan dealt with democrat majorities is leaving-out important context of compromise Reagan had to make. Same with Romney. Romney had to deal with Democrat super-majorities.

Political reality is everything. Context is everything. You seem interested in panting with a broad brush and leaving-out important elements of context as you build your straw-man...

Yeah... The ideal, perfect, pure conservative ony exists in the minds of liberal Democrats and the certified retarded...

And the political reality of the situation back-then was that every manufacturer was acting stupid because they reacted wrongly to a growing political threat created solely by --wait for it-- LIBERAL DEMOCRATS.

You can't reconcile points I've made so you falsely accuse me of supporting liberal democrats.  That's so childish, but very predicable.  I'm not sitting on the sidelines waiting for anyone.  I've voted in nearly every election since 1994 and I've always pulled the R lever (I really had to plug my nose in 2008 and 2012 though).  I'm willing to accept all types of flawed candidates, but I'm not willing to accept any more compromises on the 2A.  The only two liberals I ever voted for were John McCain and Mitt Romney, but I guess that's okay in your mind because they both had (R)'s after their names.  Somehow, me thinking that Bush Sr, Romney, ect. were too progressive makes me a liberal in your mind.  That's nuts.

Again (focus on this paragraph), Bill Ruger wrote the letter encouraging congress to ban magazines in March of 1989; this was just two months after Bush Sr took office following Ronald Reagan.  Bill Clinton was still nearly 4 years away from being sworn in as president.  You said that Ruger only wrote this letter to lesson the chances of a much more draconian ban (like the present day Romney AWB in Mass).  If Bush Sr was a solid supporter of the 2A, it makes no sense that Ruger would write this letter and deliver to every member of congress.  Why would Ruger fear that Bush Sr would sign a draconian gun ban into law?  Either Bill Ruger was afraid that Bush Sr was anti-2A and would pass a more draconian ban, or Ruger had other motives; which one is it?

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like to hit what I'm aiming at?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Badeffect, a hi point goes bang every time. This does not equate to quality

What more does it need? That is the #1 thing I want in my guns, they go bang every time.
Going bang every time does not equate to quality. What. The. Fuck.

Ironically Hi Points are one of the most accurate handguns around today.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the company survives off of the 10/22 and Mark I/II/III and some fooled Mini-15/30 owners. Their wheel guns are alright. Everything else is shit.
View Quote

Their wheel guns aren't just "alright". They are by far the best DA revolvers currently made. It's not hard for them to do, considering the substandard revolvers S&W puts out now. They also make nice bolt-action rifles with Mauser claw extractors and a very nice falling-block rifle. They make a line of SA revolvers well-known for their durability, quality, and accuracy, which can't be beat at the price they sell them at.

So you're wrong. Ruger has a few lines(revolvers and falling-block rifles) that they dominate in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What more does it need? That is the #1 thing I want in my guns, they go bang every time.

No, they're not. Their accuracy is shit. It should come to no surprise when you look at the barrels.

Yes, I've shot them. They also lack durability. While they may be reliable out of the box, that reliability is short lived. They're disposable pistols.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, they're not. Their accuracy is shit. It should come to no surprise when you look at the barrels.

Yes, I've shot them. They also lack durability. While they may be reliable out of the box, that reliability is short lived. They're disposable pistols.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I've never shot one, but it's what I've heard on other forums for years, as well as some people at the range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The main thing I've gathered from this thread is that Mikhail_86 needs to switch to decaf.

And we're on page 7 of this train wreck so I'll do the first IBTL call.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Bill Ruger was a genuine POS to throw us under the bus with his 10 round mag bootlicking.

OTOH, my Ruger MKs are built like a brick shithouse and run like a sewing machine.

And my SAs too.

And my 10/22s.

And my 77/22.

And......

Aw hell, I hate the founder but I love the products.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Bill Ruger was a genuine POS to throw us under the bus with his 10 round mag bootlicking.

OTOH, my Ruger MKs are built like a brick shithouse and run like a sewing machine.
And my SAs too.
And my 10/22s.
And my 77/22.
And......

View Quote

Yeah well plenty of these Bill Ruger haters probably drive Fords...And Henry Ford did more to support Hitler than Ruger did to support the ban.

If you get into it, there are a lot of really asshole moves made by powerful people. If you try boycotting them all, you better live off the land in BFE.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I own a Ruger SR1911 CMD and love it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah well plenty of these Bill Ruger haters probably drive Fords...And Henry Ford did more to support Hitler than Ruger did to support the ban.

If you get into it, there are a lot of really asshole moves made by powerful people. If you try boycotting them all, you better live off the land in BFE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And my SAs too.
And my 10/22s.
And my 77/22.
And......

But...But... Ruger threatened our rights.  Hitler did nothing of the sort.  If he did why would XXX company use the SS XXX icon for their firearm brand?  That is just silly.

Stop being so rational
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Again (focus on this paragraph), Bill Ruger wrote the letter encouraging congress to ban magazines in March of 1989; this was just two months after Bush Sr took office following Ronald Reagan.  Bill Clinton was still nearly 4 years away from being sworn in as president.  You said that Ruger only wrote this letter to lesson the chances of a much more draconian ban (like the present day Romney AWB in Mass).  If Bush Sr was a solid supporter of the 2A, it makes no sense that Ruger would write this letter and deliver to every member of congress.  Why would Ruger fear that Bush Sr would sign a draconian gun ban into law?  Either Bill Ruger was afraid that Bush Sr was anti-2A and would pass a more draconian ban, or Ruger had other motives; which one is it?

View Quote

Democrats held a majority in the House.

Democrats held a majority in the Senate.

Ruger sent his letter to a body if government controlled by Democrats.

If whatever Republicans left (including Bush) were chomping at the bit for more gun control, it would have happened.

Yeah, Ruger went full-retard when democrats were in control and promised more gun control... But so did every other gun manufacturer.

Context is everything... The fact that Democrats were in control seems to have escaped your grasp of reality.

You can claim what you want. Your views are obviously slanted against Republicans.

You accuse me of acting childish, but played 13-year-old-popularity-contest games about blocking me earlier in the thread. Good grief. Take a look in a mirror...

Democrats were gaining control in the late-80's. Gun control was gaining momentum and steam. Not just Ruger, but *all* manufacturers started acting retarded.

It all culminated when Clinton was elected, and Democrats held every branch of government, and an openly-hostile Janet Reno led DoJ with Democrat Mayors demanding DoJ do something to get $$ from manufacturers... Democrat mayors wanted the DoJ to start to get a settlement with gun manufacturers like they were trying with tobacco companies...

Ruger was a Fudd of the highest order. He was no ally on gun rights. But it was a democrat-held congress that had promised gun control that motivated him (and other gun manufacturers) to start acting retarded. The threat all-along was the democrat majority...

Context is everything. Try to grasp it...
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a SS Super Blackhawk back in the day (pre '94). Fantastic wheel gun, wish I still had it. FF to 2013 and I'd been shopping for my first 1911. A LGS gets a shipment of SR1911's. My experience talks to me more than hateful words on the internet so I nab one. It shoots as well as that other Ruger I've been carrying only in my memories. Another fantastic gun.

2 home runs and I'm a fan.

Get over it people, Bill's dead.

Time for another Super Blackhawk me thinks. I'll sell my crap Colt and CZ pistols to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m a big fan of theirs.  Rock solid products and very good customer service.  Fuck people that hang on to what some dead guy said.  ymmv.

<shrug>

View Quote

+1 This, Get over it haters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Off the top of my head, I've had a P94, P95 (2), 3 or 4 10/22s, 22/45, mark iv hunter, sp101, super redhawk & super blackawk ( both .44 mag)

I have none now though they were all super reliable and I'd take any back now. They were workhorses, not precision which I tend to hold onto.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

MkII is easy.

MkIII, not so much.

Danny
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People bitch about taking down Mark IIs.  I've found it fine once you do it a few times.

Fine as in...sucks...if so I agree.

MkII is easy.

MkIII, not so much.

Danny

True but you only have to take them down and do a good cleaning about every third brick.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And my SAs too.
And my 10/22s.
And my 77/22.
And......

View Quote

This in a nutshell. Whoever is running the show now seems to be hard at work undoing ole Bill's herp and derp.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:46:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I've had a Ruger bolt action rifle and a DA revolver fail when brand new and go back to the factory.
My favorite Ruger is heavily customized. Before that, it wasn't that accurate.
While I like some of their designs and own several Rugers, they're not my favorites. Absent a MkIII or a SA revolver, they wouldn't be my first choice.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:07:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Ruger's Ive owned/still own: 44 super blackhawk, stainless 10/22, blued 10/22, vaquero, single six, mark II 22, old army bp revolver. Ive shot countless others, the most notable being an sr9c.
The super blackhawk is a damn fine revolver. Still own it.
The stainless 10/22 was a POS. It got stolen out of my sons truck years ago.
The blued 10/22 I havent shot yet. I just got it a couple weeks ago.
The vaquero is a novelty gun for me. Cant see paying for a colt.
The single six is another damn fine revolver. Still own it.
The mark II is fair. It typically jams at least once per magazine.
The old army revolver, decent, but not on par with the other revolvers.
The sr9c is the ONLY new ruger offering that Im seriously in the market for. Ive got a friend that has one and we have shot countless rds thru it with nary a fte or ftf and its DEAD NUTS ACCURATE.
The ruger line of centerfire rifles, I couldnt give two shits about. I dont like them at all and Ive shot SEVERAL.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:19:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I like Ruger.

+ side: strong, reliable, relatively inexpensive.

- side: some models look ugly, heavy. Accuracy issues with some models(example Mini14 and No.1)

I've several 10/22's still in factory configuration with 10's of 1000's of rounds thru them. Vaquero's with 1000's of rounds thru them(including max loads). MkII with eleventymillion rounds thru it.
Had a coupe of Mini-14's that ran 110% all day long just couldn't hit the ground if dropped.
Several No.1 and M77's that shot horribly. Even after bedding.

Several shooting buds that have 1000's thru theirs.

Overall they seem a good choice for most shooters.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I like Rugers; they're probably the best overall value for someone who doesn't have a lot of money to spend.  I've never had a problem with my Rugers: they go bang every time I pull the trigger, and they hit what I am aiming at.

Based on personal observations made during my years on ARFCOM and other gun forums I can safely say 90% of the Ruger hate is based on two things:  Bill Ruger's 1989 comment, and plain old snooty elitism.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to this thread, I HAD to shoot the newest addition, a laminated 10/22 I picked up a couple weeks ago. THsi rifle was made in 1987 ans was still BNIB when I got it. Now keep in mind, the last 10/22 I had was stainless and was a POS. Wouldnt go through a mag without a jam. This one, I must say, ran PERFECTLY.  I only ran about 10 bucks worth of ammo through it, or 50 rounds. LOL.  As seems to be the case so often, it hated federal bulk pack accuracy wise. 3 inch groups at 50 yards. It LOVED CCI though, groups ran around 3/4 of an inch, maybe less.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top