Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
What size bullet do you guys use to reload for plinking?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm seriously considering joining the master race. My LGS has a Henry H010B on the shelf. The brass receiver, walnut stock and octagonal barrel just do it for me.

Should I fo?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]
But it join the Master race.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm seriously considering joining the master race. My LGS has a Henry H010B on the shelf. The brass receiver, walnut stock and octagonal barrel just do it for me.

Should I fo?
View Quote
Fo forth and fonquer
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Should I fo?
View Quote
Why would you not do this?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got to admit they are beautiful rifles to look at and fondle, which is just as important as admiring. I just like a gate. But one of these could change my mind.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got to admit they are beautiful rifles to look at and fondle, which is just as important as admiring. I just like a gate. But one of these could change my mind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're in bear country and shooting a .45-70 fast enough to need a a loading gate you're gonna die anyway.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Is $829 a fair price? I know I could probably get it lower online but I don't mind giving the LGS some business....

@WhiskersTheCat
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is $829 a fair price? I know I could probably get it lower online but I don't mind giving the LGS some business....

@WhiskersTheCat
View Quote
Definitely. The brass ones, color case hardened ones and All Weather ones are usually $780-$820 from what I've seen.

Plain Jane blued is like $620-$650
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Definitely. The brass ones, color case hardened ones and All Weather ones are usually $780-$820 from what I've seen.

Plain Jane blued is like $620-$650
View Quote
Fenting is imminent. Peer pressure is too much.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm now a member of the master race.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is that actually a brass receiver, or steel with a brass colored finish?
View Quote
Brass receiver.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Brass receiver.
View Quote
You sure? I had the impression they were plated steel.

ETA-guess I was wrong.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#20]
From the Henry website...

This H011 and H011C use a specially-formulated hardened brass receiver with the same tensile strength as steel
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Me too.

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive got a Springfield 1873 coming in but if Im gonna shoot big fucking bears I think Ill take my 375H&H.
Or for rabbits for that matter. After all they have "nasty big pointy teeth"
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

If you've never shot a .45-70 revolver, go out and get one tomorrow. They are an absolute blast!
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Followed the earlier link to those and spent some time thinking it over before FOing on one this morning.  Noplace else like ARFCOM for costing me money.

I know it'll probably hurt with anything warm, much like the Ruger #3 carbine that I got my introduction to .45-70 with.  Hoping to have a lot of fun with plinking loads.  If I can put together a decent shooting load with Lyman's Gould hollow point cast bullet design, might even shoot a deer or two with it.

When this one arrives, there will be a round dozen .45-70s here (if the T/C Contender barrel counts as one).  Of course, boating accidents, etc, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Followed the earlier link to those and spent some time thinking it over before FOing on one this morning.  Noplace else like ARFCOM for costing me money.

I know it'll probably hurt with anything warm, much like the Ruger #3 carbine that I got my introduction to .45-70 with.  Hoping to have a lot of fun with plinking loads.  If I can put together a decent shooting load with Lyman's Gould hollow point cast bullet design, might even shoot a deer or two with it.

When this one arrives, there will be a round dozen .45-70s here (if the T/C Contender barrel counts as one).  Of course, boating accidents, etc, etc.
Finally got a chance to go pick it up after work yesterday.  Hoping to get out to the range this afternoon.  Initial handling impression is that it's REALLY reminiscent of that old Ruger #3 carbine.  Except even shorter.  I can almost touch the muzzle with my right hand while it's shouldered.

30 years+ and I still remember what a stone bitch that little Ruger was to shoot 300gr JHP factory loads out of before adding a pad, etc.  Was already planning to make sure that the PAST recoil shield gets packed, but now I'm at the stage of double and triple checking it's along before heading out.

Fortunately, factory loads aren't the only thing I'm bringing.  Even thought about digging around for the Lyman collar button bullets I cast up years ago and throwing together some cray light gallery-type loads, but laziness is saying 'Nope, not today."

Need to figure what other .45-70s to bring for a group shot.  Probably the Browning/Miroku 1886 SRC, the Marlin SBL and the Century 6-shooter.  Keeping with a short theme.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I keep trying different loads to find this terrible recoil everyone mentions.  I have not found it yet.  Worst load I've tried recoils about like a 20ga 870 with slugs.
View Quote
I think a lot of the problem for me is that the little carbines usually don't fit me very well.  I honestly think the recoil reduction I got after adding a pad to the Ruger #3 was as much from the extra length of pull as the cushioning effect.  Weight makes a difference, too.  Never had much trouble with the C. Sharps '75 or the full length rifle version of the Browning 1886, but the Browning 1886 in SRC configuration is a little more obnoxious.  OTOH, the Marlin SBL is a joy to play with, so I guess it's all subjective.  Or something.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What size bullet do you guys use to reload for plinking?
View Quote
405gr lead flat nose 13 grains trail boss.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I keep trying different loads to find this terrible recoil everyone mentions.  I have not found it yet.  Worst load I've tried recoils about like a 20ga 870 with slugs.
View Quote
I'm stealing this from another member, but I really like this description.

The recoil of a 45-70 isn't unpleasant or painful. It's just a big, slow, unstoppable push
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The recoil of a 45-70 isn't unpleasant or painful. It's just a big, slow, unstoppable push
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this true with Garrett +P Hammerhead ammo?  Honestly curious.  Not that I'd ever plan to shoot much of this power through a rifle but just curious how a relatively light lever action feels with thermonuclear .45-70 loads.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is this true with Garrett +P Hammerhead ammo?  Honestly curious.  Not that I'd ever plan to shoot much of this power through a rifle but just curious how a relatively light lever action feels with thermonuclear .45-70 loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, they're no big deal.

I did a box when I first got my gun just because. (Clearly can't afford to do that all the time.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made some .44 magnum that were unpleasant to shoot in my Rossi 92 I’m sure I could make something horrible with that case size,

Just bought some jacketed 300gr bullets. Let’s see what powder I have.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're in NoVA AeroE I'd be happy to let you shoot a whole bunch of stuff through mine at the range sometime
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I made some .44 magnum that were unpleasant to shoot in my Rossi 92 I’m sure I could make something horrible with that case size,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not likely to get a load in .45-70 that is truly punishing to shoot without either shooting it from a handgun or getting into unsafe pressures. For example, 46 grains of 4064 under a cast 405 is within trapdoor pressure levels. 3 or 4 more grains of powder makes a compressed load.

You can hotrod the caliber, and get loads that aren't exactly enjoyable but I can't imagine youd get .45-70 recoil to be any worse than a 3.5 inch 12 gauge with a safe load.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you're in bear country and shooting a .45-70 fast enough to need a a loading gate you're gonna die anyway.
View Quote
No no, for me having a loading gate has to do with looks, I like the way a lever action looks, handles. Don't give a shit about a bear, but you might be wrong here

because I can reach in my pocket and throw in a couple rounds to finish off imaginary bear attack, instead of screwing around with a tube.

I have 2 Henry rifles like I said before. they are nice, slim and handle like any other lever gun, IOW sweet. I still want a loading gate on my centerfires.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn man that's is sweet!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#36]
That's what I'm talking about right there!

That is as good as it gets, one sexy rifle wow, congrats!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/238591/28474_jpeg-866097.JPG

If you've never shot a .45-70 revolver, go out and get one tomorrow. They are an absolute blast!
View Quote
Blast being the key word. No thanks. 454 is more than I want anymore, in fact I think I'm going to trade it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
What rifle? I lost track, getting old ya know.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yesterday I was browsing the $5 bin at my LGS.  I found a real Zebra Skin rifle sling.  He takes off slings and scopes off of the rifles he takes in trade.  I think my Marlin will wear a safari theme for the forseable future, will post pic some time tonight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Cross posting another reason

Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a lever gun now, but long ago I had a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I wound up
selling it and I deserve to get pimp slapped for doing so.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you're in NoVA AeroE I'd be happy to let you shoot a whole bunch of stuff through mine at the range sometime
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes!  I’m in the Ashburn area and would definitely be down to put some .458 slugs down range.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I’ve seen fine of those at area Giants.  I was wondering what round to stick up on when these robots start their uprising.  The answer should have been obvious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Marlin 1895.
View Quote
You'd think you could get that marlin to kick yer ass pretty good.

A 400gr bullet @ 2100fps with 58grs of 4198 should blacken your shoulder after a mag dump!

2300fps with a Hornady 350gr and a case full of h 4198? should rock yer sock's. what you shooting? Pinkie loads
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#47]
That looks beautiful!
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I m in the 45-120 master race
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I m in the 45-120 master race
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Do the 110 and 120 have advantages over smokeless 45-70?
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top