BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I said high quality.

yeah i can tell a garbage mp3 but not one i ripped myself or just a good source one.

you can get an optical drive for your pc for like $20 and make some darn good mp3s from your cds at 320kbps i doubt you can tell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not even close.

Depends on the source the mp4 came from. Like I said most people haven’t heard a good recording

I said high quality.

yeah i can tell a garbage mp3 but not one i ripped myself or just a good source one.

you can get an optical drive for your pc for like $20 and make some darn good mp3s from your cds at 320kbps i doubt you can tell.

Depends on the source CD. Loudness wars started around mid-late 90s.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Of course it is.  Maybe 3% of drivers of vehicles equipped with a CD player actually use it today.  I just made that stat up.  I think I erred on the side of caution.

And I'm much older than the OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the service manager ever say that they can not troubleshoot and repair your system?  Did he ever suggest that it would not be covered under your manufacture's warranty?

Of course not.

We're they surprised that you are actually using the CD player?  Of course.  

OP's car is a 2019, not a 1999. I don't think their surprise is really warranted in this case.

Of course it is.  Maybe 3% of drivers of vehicles equipped with a CD player actually use it today.  I just made that stat up.  I think I erred on the side of caution.

And I'm much older than the OP.

Maybe so. Point being, they should've simply agreed to fix it without questioning the OP's listening habits. Especially when the CD player is only 3 years old.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It’s not even close.

Depends on the source the mp4 came from. Like I said most people haven’t heard a good recording
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you think you can actually tell the difference between a high quality mp4 and a cd in a moving vehicle?

It’s not even close.

It's the "in a moving vehicle" part where this conversation gets a bit dubious.

Can I tell the difference between good recordings and not so good recordings sitting at home with my Beyerdynamic headphones? Yeah.

Can I tell the difference between good recordings and not so good recordings listening to a decent bookshelf system without comparing them back to back? Maybe...

Can I tell the difference between good recordings and not so good recordings listening to a car stereo in a moving vehicle with road noise, wind noise, drivetrain noise, and traffic around me? Nope. And I'd bet damn near everyone would fail that Pepsi challenge, too.

Unless the recording is truly bad or you're using something crappy to get it to the stereo, it's not going to stick out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have CDs. Sometimes there is no internet or radio stations around.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, does listening to music while driving really warrant playing the best possible quality audio you can muster? Dude, you’re just cruising and listening to some tunes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You're saying a dealership tried to convince you not to fix something?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Maybe so. Point being, they should've simply agreed to fix it without questioning the OP's listening habits. Especially when the CD player is only 3 years old.

View Quote

That’s the point,  The op never actually said that they didn’t agree to fix it and he is clearly embellishing the story.

He just wanted the CD vs every other digital media “uber-est-audiophile” arfcom fight.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

well if your source cds are shit why do you care?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Geez my 23 yr old vehicle has USB for music. Who uses CDs these days?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wife's Lexus with factory mark levinson stereo upgrade (which is absolutely incredible btw, fantastic tone and imaging) CD player isn't reading CDs. So ask dealership to take a look on scheduled maintenance.

The dealership and techs/service manager raised eyebrows like we were fucking aliens. "Sir you can stream music, why would you use a CD?"  

Because it sounds way way fucking better, that's why!  Why do you think we paid so much for for this stereo option?  My more polite response gave more puzzled looks.   It boggles their mind that somebody was using the CD player.

They probably had to call corporate "we got somebody that listens to CDs and we have no idea what to do"
View Quote
Well, are you, you know, an alien?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Im 35.  All of my music is either on cds or an ipod with color and the little rotary touch button.  At least 5000 songs on that and its been with me since OIF/OEF back in thaday.  

Streaming music is horseshit.  Why did anyone ever want to do it that way?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im 35.  All of my music is either on cds or an ipod with color and the little rotary touch button.  At least 5000 songs on that and its been with me since OIF/OEF back in thaday.  

Streaming music is horseshit.  Why did anyone ever want to do it that way?
View Quote

more money from subscription based services over outright buying content.
like most software.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why would you use a CD?

View Quote

didnt read the OP huh?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#14]
320kbps MP3s work fine for me in my vehicle.
Good quality and you can fit many of them on one USB stick.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#15]
My 2018 F-250 has a CD player but I either play off of my 64gb thumb drive of ripped .MP3s or stream Pandora or similar.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#16]
One of my customers is a very successful music producer.  He kept his older BMW just for the stereo system in it.  

he'll cut a track, burn it and test it in the old car before it ever leaves his studio.  CraY expensive studio monitors, but it's not done till it goes through the BMW.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wife’s Lexus with factory mark levinson stereo upgrade (which is absolutely incredible btw, fantastic tone and imaging) CD player isn’t reading CDs. So ask dealership to take a look on scheduled maintenance.

The dealership and techs/service manager raised eyebrows like we were fucking aliens. “Sir you can stream music, why would you use a CD?”  

Because it sounds way way fucking better, that’s why!  Why do you think we paid so much for for this stereo option?  My more polite response gave more puzzled looks.   It boggles their mind that somebody was using the CD player.

They probably had to call corporate “we got somebody that listens to CDs and we have no idea what to do”
View Quote

Okay, boomer.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Can I tell the difference between good recordings and not so good recordings sitting at home with my Beyerdynamic headphones? Yeah.

Can I tell the difference between good recordings and not so good recordings listening to a decent bookshelf system without comparing them back to back? Maybe...

Can I tell the difference between good recordings and not so good recordings listening to a car stereo in a moving vehicle with road noise, wind noise, drivetrain noise, and traffic around me? Nope. And I'd bet damn near everyone would fail that Pepsi challenge, too.

Unless the recording is truly bad or you're using something crappy to get it to the stereo, it's not going to stick out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
you think you can actually tell the difference between a high quality mp4 and a cd in a moving vehicle?

It’s not even close.

Drive in a Lexus. You’ll understand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because mine are not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

vinyl is b?e?s?t? different
View Quote

Fixed that for you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I burned a couple CDs the other day and was laughing at myself but my truck still has a CD player so what the hell
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is pretty much the correct answer.

CDs aren't magic. They are just another physical storage medium for digital information, and they often are subject to the same compression and sampling shenanigans as other digital mediums.

There's also the issue of cars being noisy and acoustically terrible environments.

Something USB or Apple Car Play/Android Auto based would likely match the quality of CDs with far greater convenience. I don't think I've had the phone book size CD binder in a vehicle since 2009, and I don't miss that even a little bit.

OP deserves to have his vehicle made whole, but let's be realistic about what's being accomplished here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wife’s Lexus with factory mark levinson stereo upgrade (which is absolutely incredible btw, fantastic tone and imaging) CD player isn’t reading CDs. So ask dealership to take a look on scheduled maintenance.

The dealership and techs/service manager raised eyebrows like we were fucking aliens. “Sir you can stream music, why would you use a CD?”  

Because it sounds way way fucking better, that’s why!  Why do you think we paid so much for for this stereo option?  My more polite response gave more puzzled looks.   It boggles their mind that somebody was using the CD player.

They probably had to call corporate “we got somebody that listens to CDs and we have no idea what to do”

Most professional audiophiles cannot tell the difference between a CD and a 320kbps mp3. Even less will tell the difference between FLAC and a CD.

That said, CD player is broken, they should fix it.

This is pretty much the correct answer.

CDs aren't magic. They are just another physical storage medium for digital information, and they often are subject to the same compression and sampling shenanigans as other digital mediums.

There's also the issue of cars being noisy and acoustically terrible environments.

Something USB or Apple Car Play/Android Auto based would likely match the quality of CDs with far greater convenience. I don't think I've had the phone book size CD binder in a vehicle since 2009, and I don't miss that even a little bit.

OP deserves to have his vehicle made whole, but let's be realistic about what's being accomplished here.

Yep this.

Also, rip that CD collection to a NAS running Plex then stream them at whatever quality you want if the "quality" is the big deal you think it is. Then you have quality & the convenience of streaming.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I buy cds. You don't own and can't control non-physical media.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Why not just rip them in a lossless format, save it to a USB stick, and use that instead of a CD?

You know, like I do.

OP is a filthy casual.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#25]
In the parts department Lexus sells or did sell factory rebuilt radios
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Just put all the CDs in lossless format on a sd card.
On the upside now the ruff roads won't make the player wreck the discs.
I lost several CDs to CD players in multiple vehicles from bad roads.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#27]
CD's only max out their sound quality when you take a green sharpie and go around the edge of them...
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#28]
What if my cars DAC best for straight WAV files?  I mean I paid for a good DAC.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does a CD produce better music than digital audio file?

EDIT:
Quick google, says that OP is right. Streaming music is compressed and lower quality than CD.  My shitty ears certainly cant tell the difference.  Either way, the sound system in my truck sounds great to me.
View Quote

Just because it’s digital doesn’t mean it’s poor quality.

WAV soundforms (I.e. on your CD) encode at 44.1 kHz.

MP3s can encode at pretty much whatever sample rate you want (but you stick to at least 44.1 kHz), and bitrates above about 128 kbs are generally sonically indistinguishable, particularly in a noise environment like a vehicle.

I have 44 GB of music on my phone, encoded at 44.1/192 kbs. I’d have to haul around a whole damn box truck of CDs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The problem with them is they still are streaming a shitty compressed recording.

It’s not the digital compression. It’s the dynamic compression
View Quote

Then don’t stream!  Rip/convert all your CDs with something like EAC, copy to your phone, and win!

You do it right (doing it rights not harder than doing it wrong) and they’ll be sonically identical.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's very rude of them, boomers should get the same customer service as normal people
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#32]
We need to get back to CDs. My new Toyota didn’t come with one and that pisses me off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then don’t stream!  Rip/convert all your CDs with something like EAC, copy to your phone, and win!

You do it right (doing it rights not harder than doing it wrong) and they’ll be sonically identical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with them is they still are streaming a shitty compressed recording.

It’s not the digital compression. It’s the dynamic compression

And if the cars DAC is much better with pure WAV from the onboard CD transport?

Sonically identical is mathmatically impossible.

That’s why my Sony 777es sounds so incredible.  You gotta convert to analog somewhere.  Streaming from the phone sounds like shit. Hence why I want the cars CD player to work. It sounds so so so much better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I payed for it……..fix it you stupid fucks, leave the “why” to me
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:07:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Don’t worry about OP, you can borrow my Winamp playlist. I’ll even let you change the skins.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone mentioned FLAC yet?  Lose the CDs, the future is now old man jpg

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]
My car doesn't have a CD player, and I need to figure out a good way to hook one up.  Streaming audio "quality", isn't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#39]
To be fair. I have no idea if the CD player works in my 2016. Never had a cd in it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Has anyone mentioned FLAC yet?  Lose the CDs, the future is now old man jpg

View Quote

What’s your source for high quality FLAC recordings?  Are you purchasing them somewhere?  Where? Are you ripping them from vinyl?  What ADC you using?

Then what is the digital to analog chain?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What was the source of your “high quality music”?

Most folks haven’t heard a good recording their entire life. Dynamic compressed absolute shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:
Quick google, says that OP is right. Streaming music is compressed and lower quality than CD.  My shitty ears certainly cant tell the difference.  Either way, the sound system in my truck sounds great to me.

I have an SD card full of high quality music plugged into mine. Never even tested the Cd player.

Most folks haven’t heard a good recording their entire life. Dynamic compressed absolute shit.

What if I told you that you could rip the music off your current cds…….

The future is now old man. L
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Because mine are not.
View Quote

Well then what the fuck are you arguing about i said you can rip yours and make good quality mp3s

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDIT:

I have an SD card full of high quality music plugged into mine. Never even tested the Cd player.

Why not use the direct WAV from the cd with a dedicated transport and DAC?

Less jitter, much much more accurate waveform.  Otherwise all CD players would sound the same with can’t be further from the truth.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is this a 1996 Lexus? Do they even offer CD players anymore? The future is now Old Man
View Quote

My 2022 GX 460 still has a CD player and the 2023 does as well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We need to get back to CDs. My new Toyota didn't come with one and that pisses me off.
View Quote

My brother's new 2022 Subaru Forester came with one. I was surprised to see this.

Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And if the cars DAC is much better with pure WAV from the onboard CD transport?

Sonically identical is mathmatically impossible.

That’s why my Sony 777es sounds so incredible.  You gotta convert to analog somewhere.  Streaming from the phone sounds like shit. Hence why I want the cars CD player to work. It sounds so so so much better.
View Quote

Cds use cda files maybe phone sounds like shit through bluetooth?
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Just get her a walkman for Christmas
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can you even buy a CD anymore? Can't remember the last time I saw any in a store. Few months ago I dug out some of my friends old band I burnt a long time ago. Kids were fascinated by the shiny object. Still haven't found a place to play them.
View Quote
Yup! I buy my CDs on Amazon because it's cheaper than the MP3 album.......and 99 times out of 100 you get the mp3s as a download to boot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
lol this post represents arfcom gd perfectly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My 22 GTi doesn't have a cd player.

I know the sound quality is better, but I'd never be able to hear the difference driving on the surface of the moon (which would be an improvement over South Carolina roads)
View Quote

In space no one can hear Rob Halford scream.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top