BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What's the reason for avoiding the Navajo Rez?

I'll be driving through in early June.
View Quote

The Rez is mostly fine, the cops can be assholes and some of the areas are rough. If I were pulling a u-haul with a bunch of my possessions including guns, I would just find an alternate route.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I skipped a lot of classes
View Quote

I'm beginning to believe that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I skipped a lot of classes
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
34 hr route will be fine
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same reason the mountain men were safe and Conestoga wagon trains were targets.

Uhaul means settlers.

Scalpin’ time.
View Quote

U haul back charges you if you turn it in full of arrow holes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Take the northern route and you should reach minnesota the first day. Easy ride after that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
when i rent U-Hauls for work i always get the extra insurance.

my motto:  don't be gentle, it's a rental.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything more than about 800 miles in a day, day after day, is hard

Truckers are limited to 11hrs driving, and they are used to it
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#9]
You can do it easily in 2 days.  I drove straight through from central MN to Ft. Hood Texas a few times when with 1st Cav.  I did the 1,100 odd some miles in a little under 24 hours. Only stopped for gas, to pee and grab a bite to eat.  I did it in a 1987 Nissan pick-up as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reason the mountain men were safe and Conestoga wagon trains were targets.

Uhaul means settlers.

Scalpin’ time.

I think you can get extra insurance to cover that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can't rape the willing!
View Quote

Tell that to this guy...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anything more than about 800 miles in a day, day after day, is hard

Truckers are limited to 11hrs driving, and they are used to it
View Quote
yeah.

10 hours at 80 MPH is about my limit these days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I die I'm leaving you my rock island .38. In fact I'm going to write that with a sharpie on my undies just in case
View Quote

Makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Really what can I do? I'll try to pick out decent hotels but I'm not sleeping in it. If I'm driving or in the truck it'll be a shoot out. If I wake up and it's gone I'm getting a cab to an airport [shrug]

bye bye comic books and crappy guns
View Quote

Stick a couple Airtags on the more valuable items, hell stick a couple to the truck.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Rez is mostly fine, the cops can be assholes and some of the areas are rough. If I were pulling a u-haul with a bunch of my possessions including guns, I would just find an alternate route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the reason for avoiding the Navajo Rez?

I'll be driving through in early June.

Do I need to go undercover and put an "Equality" bumper sticker on my wife's Outback prior to driving through there?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I did Birmingham , AL to Portland, OR back in 1999 in less than 3 days. And I did it in a shitty, overburdened 1991 Accord.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
For a solo driver, in a modern vehicle with lane keeping assistance and adaptive cruise control, you can blaze along at 75+mph on the interstate for 12+ hours a day without a problem. The car handles most of the hard stuff and you're just monitoring everything for safety, performance, and switching lanes due to grandma doing 45mph.

In an unknown vintage Uhaul box truck? Fucccccck that. 8 hours a day at the speed limit is the most I would plan on. With a long relaxing lunch, stopping for breaks every 2 hours, etc.

Each co- driver adds 4 hours to the car, but only one extra driver can add 2 hours to the UHaul because there's nowhere to sleep in the cab.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In a modern vehicle with lane keeping assistance and adaptive cruise control, you can blaze along at 75+mph on the interstate for 12+ hours a day without a problem. The car handles most of the hard stuff and you're just monitoring everything for safety, performance, and switching lanes due to grandma doing 45mph.

In an unknown vintage Uhaul box truck? Fucccccck that. 8 hours a day at the speed limit is the most I would plan on. With a long relaxing lunch, stopping for breaks every 2 hours, etc.

Kharn
View Quote
last couple i've rented for worth have been new(ish) fords or chebbys that are governed at 65 MPH.

just stand on it the whole time whilst steering into a 30 MPH crosswind.

it's exhausting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Tough but doable. And you’d probably use all of the 3rd day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm going to.
View Quote

Did you ever find the headboard or mirror or whatever it was from the bedroom set?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#26]
OP I always back my trailer up to a light pole which renders the door (doors) unable to be opened without moving the vehicle forward. For the side door block it HARD from the inside.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes the movers returned it, thanks for asking
View Quote

I hope you updated that thread. A lot of us were emotionally invested.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP I always back my trailer up to a light pole which renders the door (doors) unable to be opened without moving the vehicle forward. For the side door block it HARD from the inside.
View Quote
recommendations on how to do this?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Do I need to go undercover and put an "Equality" bumper sticker on my wife's Outback prior to driving through there?
View Quote

You will fit in much better with a truck that looks like it just got back from a hunting or fishing trip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you think a U-Haul will run for 3 days?

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah it’s doable but man it’ll suck. Be prepared to pullover and rest a few times at a rest area or somewhere to get some sleep. I’ve done a drive similar to that, 13 hrs driving max is what I could do before I had to rest. If you’re tag-teaming with another this gets to be a lot easier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I live in St George. I love it here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#35]
The problem with the northern route is driving through Chicago and Iowa, which sucks and then boring. The problem with the southern route is Oklahoma, which is boring. Looks like the middle is the sweet spot. I'd do it over three nights, but two nights is doable if you've got the health and energy. Don't pull more weight than your vehicle is rated through the mountains, I killed a transmission in my youth that way.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Easy. Time zones are working in your favor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. Easily.

ETA: Take the middle route. I-70 west of Denver is pretty if you hit it without weekend traffic, and I-70 through the Swell is spectacular. Also avoids Chicago. Have done all of those routes several times.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I could do it, no problem.

Attachment Attached File

This is my plan for Mon-Thur next week but I'm limited by hours of service.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Get some members to guard your trailer while you sleep?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#43]

The fun starts when you get off the interstates.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't mind boring. Treacherous mountain passes and the police are my only real concerns. Truck should have a pretty light load
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with the northern route is driving through Chicago and Iowa, which sucks and then boring. The problem with the southern route is Oklahoma, which is boring. Looks like the middle is the sweet spot. I'd do it over three nights, but two nights is doable if you've got the health and energy. Don't pull more weight than your vehicle is rated through the mountains, I killed a transmission in my youth that way.
I don't mind boring. Treacherous mountain passes and the police are my only real concerns. Truck should have a pretty light load

Iowa it is!

@LittlePony This is your chance to ask THE MAN himself to lunch as he barrels through your state!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah I would never attempt to drive a uhaul that far personally, a Penske truck is absolutely worth the extra money. Imagine being broke down on the side of a highway and having to either wait for half a day or more or abandon the truck with all your possessions in it and go to a hotel. Then when they finally get you a replacement, you have to move all your stuff to the new truck. No thanks.

Time wise should be an easy drive. I’m not the road warrior I once was but I can still hit 12-14 hours a day easy. My old man does 20+ plus multiple times a year. Says he drives 12, stops and sits down and gets a big meal somewhere, drinks a few beers, then sleeps for 1 hour, wakes up and hits another 12. Not sure how he does that though, I couldn’t.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:20:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I did CA to east PA in under 72 hours cruising down I-80 with a truck and trailer.

Perfectly doable IME.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top