Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Easy three day trip.  When we travel these days my wife and I drive until we can't drive farther,  sleep in a rest stop for a few hours then keep going.  15 hours in a day isn't too bad.  I wouldn't want to do it for more than 2 or 3 days without taking a day off.   When we retire I plan to take more time but when you only have so much vacation you don't want to waste it on the road.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, 34 hours is less than 72 hours (3 days)

How much longer depends on if you have another driver and want to stop for more than gas and bathroom breaks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
We went to Kanab at the end of March, and took part of your southern route, from the Panhandle of Texas on west.  That would be I-40 across New Mexico and part of Arizona.  Once you get off 40, the route going up through Arizona and the Navajo reservation is mostly 2 lane road.  A lot of the Rez is 55mph.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:24:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Southern route is still better this time of year. Denver through Glenwood can still get pretty bad with weather and traffic seems to suck all the time. It’s a more mellow drive in the south for sure. Plus you can stop in Amarillo and take down the Big Texan while we all watch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
You know if you timed it right you could just stop at members homes for an hour or two and not have to worry about the truck.I am sure most of us would like to meet you in person!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]

IDTM

in during the move
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
would love to make this drive with you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i'd take the northern route and sleep in the cab of the truck to be safe.

i have six weeks of PTO saved up that i'm not allowed to use.

would love to make this drive with you.
View Quote

Took my first nap on my trip by driving my truck and trailer out into the desert then sleeping across the tool box on the bed of my truck with a pistol laying on my chest.  I didnt want to risk someone breaking into my trailer stopping in a populated area.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#14]
no, you can't.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I hate dealing with Chicago but honestly I-90 to 80 to 76 to 15 is probably the most efficient route.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know if you timed it right you could just stop at members homes for an hour or two and not have to worry about the truck.I am sure most of us would like to meet you in person!
View Quote

Aimless....watch yer corn hole bud.

This guy comes out of the woodwork with his post count and join date saying he'd like to meet you in person.

Sounds like a trap!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Took my first nap on my trip by driving my truck and trailer out into the desert then sleeping across the tool box on the bed of my truck with a pistol laying on my chest.  I didnt want to risk someone breaking into my trailer stopping in a populated area.
View Quote

I wouldn’t do that on the Navajo  Reservation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Aimless....watch yer corn hole bud.

This guy comes out of the woodwork with his post count and join date saying he'd like to meet you in person.

Sounds like a trap!
View Quote

JLPIII has dibs!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
80 is a drug route through PA. I am not sure if penguins are considered black or white though, so you may be ok.

Just don’t ride dirty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#22]
It's gonna be more like 15 hours a day when you figure in gas, meal, and rest stops. If I was driving that route it would take me a week to do it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]

"If you make a workman's comp claim,  I'll kill you" was cut off the end of the gif.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Everything I know about St. George was learned watching Matt’s Off Road Recovery
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you think a U-Haul will run for 3 days?

View Quote

Wasn't going to say this, but the last trips across from west to east and east to Midwest and then westish I never saw penskes stopped on the side of the road...uhauls on the other hand...
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

JLPIII has dibs!
View Quote
i've never been back east so this is my chance to see it.

plus i like a good road trip.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This was in UT on I-80 still west of Salt Lake.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#28]
I would hire someone to ride with me and share the driving...put him on a plane back home.
Stop for gas and a brief break drive straight through...
Watch NY disappear in your rear window...
I couldn't get to St George fast enough!
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Really what can I do? I'll try to pick out decent hotels but I'm not sleeping in it. If I'm driving or in the truck it'll be a shoot out. If I wake up and it's gone I'm getting a cab to an airport [shrug]

bye bye comic books and crappy guns
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your biggest worry is probably going to be protecting the trailer.
Really what can I do? I'll try to pick out decent hotels but I'm not sleeping in it. If I'm driving or in the truck it'll be a shoot out. If I wake up and it's gone I'm getting a cab to an airport [shrug]

bye bye comic books and crappy guns

Don't leave that thing unattended if you go through the Nav Nation and if you do go through there, I'd recommend doing it during daylight hours.  

I'd take either the 80 or 70 route.  Depends the time of day you're passing through the Chicago area. You don't want to get stuck in traffic there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/F90D5288-2C88-49A5-9BDE-755789247DEC-2368464.jpg

I have to admit I haven't knocked out a 12 hour day driving in awhile but the days are long so I'm going to be driving mostly in day light. Weather should be okay.

Would you risk going past Chicago with a uhaul full of killer robots or go south? Are the southerly routes avoiding Colorado better as I assume they're on level terrain? Do those roads across northern Arizona exist or are they old Mormon cart tracks? Will Arfcom have an epic thread trying to find my ghost truck full of pre ban guns and mags when I am never heard from again?
View Quote

1)  No

2) What will you be doing in St. George? (one of my favorite places)
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know nothing about the West but that's my suspicion
View Quote

If you do decide to take 50 through Dodge city and Pueblo CO pay attention the the road closures through Gunnison. During the week it's basically closed all dayy except for maybe an hour twice a day.  It's a nice way to go through and avoids all the Denver and I70 mess. It'll drop you right into Montrose and you can then hook it up to Junction and onto Utah.

https://www.us50info.com/
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Having driven from SLC to Medina, OH many times, I would suggest taking the route that avoids driving through Nebraska.

View Quote

I thought I was dead once.

Turns out I was just in Nebraska.    
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My family loves it. My wife is like a different person. We're trying to talk my sister and in laws to moving there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live in St George. I love it here.
My family loves it. My wife is like a different person. We're trying to talk my sister and in laws to moving there.

I'm visiting family down here this weekend...its the best of both worlds.

I get to enjoy St. George, but not live there.

All kidding aside, it is an awesome area. Some day when I'm old and decrepit I may even live down here full time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#35]
2 days, don’t be a bitch. I’ll give you 2 because you’re in a Uhaul.

Sucker someone into driving with you, alternate every fuel stop.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you do decide to take 50 through Dodge city and Pueblo CO pay attention the the road closures through Gunnison. During the week it's basically closed all dayy except for maybe an hour twice a day.  It's a nice way to go through and avoids all the Denver and I70 mess. It'll drop you right into Montrose and you can then hook it up to Junction and onto Utah.

https://www.us50info.com/
View Quote
50 is loooooooooooooong and windy from pueblo to salida.  i just made that drive for work.

i've driven 50 from gunnison to GJ many times but it's been a while.

if we're gonna do that let's just take 80 all the way across wyoming instead.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
50 is loooooooooooooong and windy from pueblo to salida.  i just made that drive for work.

i've driven 50 from gunnison to GJ many times but it's been a while.

if we're gonna do that let's just take 80 all the way across wyoming instead.
View Quote

For getting A to B, you’ll never beat interstates.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Interstates are REALLY easy to rack up miles.
Gasoline, coffee, piss breaks, occasional 90 minute cat-nap.... easy to do in  48 hours.
View Quote
THIS.

I did Kansas City to LA straight through once.  Only stopped for gas, food and restroom.  Wasn't that bad really.

Find a speeder, I call them blockers, and tuck behind them every chance you get  and you can make some pretty good time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

For getting A to B, you'll never beat interstates.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Wait until I disappear after driving a uhaul full of guns and ammo into some desert ravine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope you updated that thread. A lot of us were emotionally invested.
Wait until I disappear after driving a uhaul full of guns and ammo into some desert ravine.

So you’re passing through Steubenville then?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
THIS.

I did Kansas City to LA straight through once.  Only stopped for gas, food and restroom.  Wasn't that bad really.

Find a speeder, I call them blockers, and tuck behind them every chance you get  and you can make some pretty good time.
View Quote

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a32917037/a-man-drove-solo-across-america-in-25-hours-55-minutes-in-a-rental-mustang/

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I did San Diego to Detroit in 54 hours. Took food and drinks in a cooler, stopped to get gas, bathroom, and a few naps along the way. I also lost some hours in Black Canyon Az, the UHaul overheated, and then waiting for UHaul to open up in the morning, in Tucumcari NM, when the tow dolly broke.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd do the 35 hour route.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if we could organize this like a Semper Fi dog rescue convoy with a chain of volunteer drivers so the Uhaul never leaves the road? Do it in 30 hours straight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd do the 35 hour route.
View Quote

I second this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Have gone from Coastal NC to San Diego, California in 3 days several time. Going is easy, the sun travels with you so you can drive longer days, coming back is the bitch....
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:26:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Iowa it is!

@LittlePony This is your chance to ask THE MAN himself to lunch as he barrels through your state!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Stupid CDL rules....

Testing out Tuesday to get mine...
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top