Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the middle route.  Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I rented a uhaul to move from Houston to Daytona Beach in 2005. It's typically a 16 hour drive. We found out on day 1 in Baton Rouge the truck sucked down coolant and had an engine problem. I don't know how many gallons of coolant I went through on the whole trip but it was a LOT. I believe it took 3 days to do the trip. I've not rented a uhaul since. When I moved back I got a penske truck. It was well worth the extra expense.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
High of 46 tomorrow. I wouldn’t rule out a snowy i70 in May
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Three days in a fart filled uhaul cab?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

would love to make this drive with you.
Three days in a fart filled uhaul cab?

and full of dead half eaten fish...don't forget that either
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What part of town you moving to Aimless. I’m local. IM me. I’d love to take you to lunch.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Better get here before the Iron Man starts.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I rented a uhaul to move from Houston to Daytona Beach in 2005. It's typically a 16 hour drive. We found out on day 1 in Baton Rouge the truck sucked down coolant and had an engine problem. I don't know how many gallons of coolant I went through on the whole trip but it was a LOT. I believe it took 3 days to do the trip. I've not rented a uhaul since. When I moved back I got a penske truck. It was well worth the extra expense.
View Quote

As mentioned I saw a lot of uhauls sitting on the side of the road. But our penske wasn't perfect. Somewhere about halfway to the Midwest from the east coast our ac died, in July.... Penske really couldn't do much, either wait for them to repair it or unload/load another truck. I ended up just driving. I found myself tempted to rig up clarksons portable shower at one point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:17:40 PM EDT
[#9]
We will be doing Central CA to NW Ohio soon. Three day trip, give or take. Should be a good time
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Do not recall ever seeing a   penske on side of road
U haul.............many
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know nothing about the West but that's my suspicion
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Southern route is still better this time of year. Denver through Glenwood can still get pretty bad with weather and traffic seems to suck all the time. It's a more mellow drive in the south for sure. Plus you can stop in Amarillo and take down the Big Texan while we all watch.
I know nothing about the West but that's my suspicion
Wow. Hopefully you'll be inspired.

I knew a guy in Dallas who had never been west of Fort Worth. Blew my mind.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
You hydrate
You only stop for gas and pissing
Snack in truck
Protein drinks, water , caffeine
Stay someplace you can sleep well each night

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
After I rented it I thought "wait I think the Arfcom guys said to rent the other kind"
View Quote
Historical photo of Uhaul's first one way rental.  Uhaul has been downhill since.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I could, but I drive a lot normally

A penguin in a Porsche, should be fine.

In a uhaul truck? Fuck yo kidneys.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I would take the middle route. Drove through the Navajo Reservation yesterday and camped at  Navajo NM.  Now near Mexican Hat and getting sandblasted on the rim above the San Juan River.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would take the middle route. Drove through the Navajo Reservation yesterday and camped at  Navajo NM.  Now near Mexican Hat and getting sandblasted on the rim above the San Juan River.
View Quote
@SkiShooter

Is there any water in it?

I want to kayak that river.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I once did Knoxville to Amarillo straight.

I don’t recommend it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Easy peasy. 12 hours  is my standard drive time on vacation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Hasn't anyone here heard of The Cannonball Run???
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@SkiShooter

View Quote

There is. I met a guy at the camp spot who put in at Mexican Hat this morning. Here’s shot I just took at the Goosenecks.

I will be kayaking it at the end of the month.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Cool, send me a im when you go to get your stuff in pa and if free I will help you load up your truck.

Do the 35 hr route, run Waze on your phone or a spare hooked to Wi-Fi. Will pick up any police or traffic and reroute you accordingly .

You will average 57 mph withstops. Figure 1.5 hrs of stops a day and do the math.

41 hrs of driving it looks like so roughly 13.7 hrs a day or 781 miles a day. Easy peasy

“It’s a uhaul, if it’s a larger 26’ you may need to average a few more hours a day, if it’s a smaller 12-16 ‘ box then you should bea able to hit 75mph no problem and make up some time. The 26’ uhaul brands are notoriously show compared to Penske and all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is. I met a guy at the camp spot who put in at Mexican Hat this morning. Here's shot I just took at the Goosenecks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28681/BD6AC7CB-3149-4DFA-ADC2-831307D0E987_jpe-2369172.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@SkiShooter

There is. I met a guy at the camp spot who put in at Mexican Hat this morning. Here's shot I just took at the Goosenecks.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28681/BD6AC7CB-3149-4DFA-ADC2-831307D0E987_jpe-2369172.JPG
Nice, thanks. Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Two drivers in two days is doable.

Don't drive tried if you can help it. Pull over and swap drivers or pull off and rest. Saving a little time is not worth the risk of dying.

ETA: Make sure you check over the U-Haul really good before you get it loaded and out on the long haul.
I had to help drive one, that someone else rented, that I thought something was bent because the alignment so out of whack. That was very taxing and fatiguing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#27]
If you take the Amarillo route I’ll buy you a steak. I’d like to see a penguin eat a steak. PM me and I’ll give you my phone number for a free steak
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Doable.  I did Pittsburgh to Yellowstone in under 28 hours.  Granted that was with 3 of us in the car, 2 of us took turns driving and sleeping in the back seat, 3rd would stay awake to keep the driver company when they were getting tired.  12 hours per day x 3 days is easy.  Drive 6, get lunch, drive 6, get dinner, and sleep.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think so.  

Google's drive times have been all fucked up lately.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I once did Knoxville to Amarillo straight.

I don’t recommend it.
View Quote

Probably be tougher for a homo, Bible Belt and all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Day 1 Kansas City

Day 2 St. George.  

Bring a thermos and a urinal.  

I’ve done Pocatello ID to Columbus GA in 2 days…it was not fun.
View Quote

At least Wyoming was earlier in your trip so the scenery got better the further you went.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#33]
With a uhaul take the southern route. I70 through colorado makes my car bog down when i have it full and im climbing.
Yes you can do it in 3 days.  
Just eat salty foods to keep from peeing and dont drink too much. I once drove 37 hrs in 2 days. But never again.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Really what can I do? I'll try to pick out decent hotels but I'm not sleeping in it. If I'm driving or in the truck it'll be a shoot out. If I wake up and it's gone I'm getting a cab to an airport [shrug]

bye bye comic books and crappy guns
View Quote

I always disable the truck when I park at hotels.

Just pull the wire off of the coil packs or any other wire that will stop the truck from starting, then put the wire back on it in the morning and you're back on the road in 30 seconds.

Criminals don't carry extra ignition wires with them and won't spend any time trying to figure out why a truck won't start.

I had a buddy do just that last time he was moving duty stations and that night his Uhaul got the window smashed out, but the truck was still there with a busted ignition.

He would have lost everything he owned if he had not done that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#35]
While I'm in VA, I did a 3 week tour of a bunch if NPs last summer with the family, and we took that Southern route you have listed to get out there.  We did 64 east until St Loius which is where your route and the one I took merge together.

I can tell you from that point on, its reasonably flat.  Yes, there are some ups and downs, but no major passes like the Ike. Roads are fairly well maintained for the majority of that route.  Very scenic too. 3 days is possible, we did it in 4, and it was sedate.  I'd wished we'd done it in 3 to give is an extra day at one of the parks.

I will note that the fastest route from Gallup NM to Page AZ, so you can get to St George, goes through the middle of nowhere and isn't a good place to have an unknown vehicle with potential problems.  I'd recommend sticking with the Interstate to Flagstaff and then go up 89.  The traffic on that road sucks, but its at least got some places to stop.

Enjoy your new place, Aimless. If you like the outdoors, there's a shitload of stuff to do. Definitely hit up Bryce and GC North rim. They're awesome. Zion is a zoo, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

And if you weren't aware, it gets bloody hot there.  It was pushing 115 the day we went to Zion.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]
That's quite a trek, but certainly doable. Don't go through Chicago, especially with a UHaul.

I wouldn't push it too hard. No point doing 2 consecutive 17 hour driving days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hasn't anyone here heard of The Cannonball Run???
View Quote

Maybe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Arizona end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What part of town you moving to Aimless. I'm local. IM me. I'd love to take you to lunch.
The Arizona end.

Colorado city side?

Or Vegas east (aka St. George)? If you are stuck there already, Santa Clara is a nice community.

Better weather outside Cedar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Realistically, try to stay close to 600 miles a day with a good nights rest every night. Fatigued driving is just a dangerous as drunk driving.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:44:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I love St. George.  Wish I was moving there right now myself.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:48:01 PM EDT
[#41]
It depends on you.  I've made it from CNJ to Boulder in a day and a half, with my rear glued to the seat.  Not recommended.  Three days should be no problem, but be smart and stop if you're fatigued

If you want to avoid the mountain grades in Colorado (Eisenhower Tunnel and Vail Pass), stay on 80 through Wyoming and drop down on 15.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I did orlando to denver, through an ice storm in kansas, in 2 and a half days, with a dog, a wife driving a separate car and 2 toddlers. shouldn’t take you more than 2 days for your drive.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Your in Wilkes-barre?  

Its been many years now,  but I did both 70 and 80 back and forth from Bolder CO.  to Wilkes-Barre.      For me the north route was easier because I could stop out my Dads in Rockford IL.     ( which from here is a 12hr trip I make one or two times a year straight through one or two stops for fuel depending on if OH, IN or MI is cheaper for gas )
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

So driving 2 lane highways for hours on end with a bunch of dick cops watching them is fun. Ok.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:24:45 AM EDT
[#45]
There are several Route 66 Facebook groups that discuss where to stop to see cool things, and where to stay and eat. Might as well have some fun on the trip.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:51:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I wouldn't try.  The last UHaul I rented was not comfortable and not something I liked driving around the L.A. area let alone remote desert roads.  I'm too old at this point and wouldn't want to get bored/road hypnotized, etc., and drift off.  I'd take enough time to be safe and pick reasonable stopping/sleeping points. I get into Northern Arizona, southern Utah now and then from SoCal.  If taking the southern route, I'd say stay with I40.  Then up 89.   89A, 389, 59 would be ok and they've paved the cart tracks.  The roads through the reservation are just really remote and a problem would likely take an awful amount of time for UHaul to deal with.  I'm not sure where the "real" mountains are on the northern routes but aside from the wrestling the truck around curves, probably easier to stay awake.  This is all miles and miles of miles and miles.

Also, Google can get creative on recommended routes.  I was checking one the other day to get miles (not time) to get from where I live to Williams, Az and it had no trouble suggesting remote 2 lane county roads through the middle of the desert as a few minutes faster than the interstates.  And I40, btw is heavy truck traffic.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Sounds doable. I drove from AZ to Indiana six times during 2020-21, for grad school. Usually took 3 days, although on at least one trip I did it in two.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/F90D5288-2C88-49A5-9BDE-755789247DEC-2368464.jpg

I have to admit I haven't knocked out a 12 hour day driving in awhile but the days are long so I'm going to be driving mostly in day light. Weather should be okay.

Would you risk going past Chicago with a uhaul full of killer robots or go south? Are the southerly routes avoiding Colorado better as I assume they're on level terrain? Do those roads across northern Arizona exist or are they old Mormon cart tracks? Will Arfcom have an epic thread trying to find my ghost truck full of pre ban guns and mags when I am never heard from again?
View Quote

You managed to avoid Steubenville, you'll be okay.

"Old mormon cart tracks" Nope. Camel Trails

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:53:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Take the middle route.  Trust me on this.
View Quote

I agree.  The south route through NM takes you through Indian reservations and it can get a little sketchy in some spots.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#50]
The question is will your back survive 3-4 days in a Uhaul?
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top