Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nvm
View Quote
No. It's a boat tail too.
Powder is bought in large casks at places that load ammo.
That powder is likely similar to commercially packaged powers but is NOT the same.
They then work up loads with that powder before loading vast sums of ammo.
Hornaday doesn't load pussy ammo. Buy their 5.56 and shoot it in tighter chambered 223s and you will get poped primers. I had it happen.
Not saying that this happened to the op.
Those cases are ass out bada bing pressure.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I concur.

Primer pocket blow out, and case heads look
View Quote
Yea, with those ejector marks on the brass I can't believe the guy didn't know he had a problem before it blew. That gun was recoiling HARD....
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow...in for the results.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another picture of a spent case up close. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_221036-666954.JPG
View Quote
Primer indentation on the case head? Is it possible that a blown primer welded itself to bolt face and the gun was firing while not completely locked or OOB?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up OP.

Will keep an eye on here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#6]
OST for Hornady's response.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In before it's because piston guns "shit where they eat."
View Quote
That criticism is directed towards direct impingement rifles, not pistons.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't reload, so I'm not about to disassemble a round.  if someone was local in W. PA or E. OH, I would be more than happy to bring a few rounds to be pulled and checked.

Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i know but is it really worth it?
View Quote
Good point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
tag for followup with manufacture
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#11]
wow
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here are a few empty cases we found after the Kaboom.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215804-666944.JPG
View Quote
Chance number one to stop shooting the ammo...
Chance number two to stop shooting the ammo...
Chance number three to stop shooting the ammo
Chance number four to stop shooting the ammo .

Chance number Kaboom.

I have only seen one kaboom but there were signs that something was wrong and with those primers being blown out that is a huge sign the ammo is over charged. I am glad you friend is okay but send those cart and the ammo back and ask for a replacement AR. The ammo manufacturer really screwed the Pooh on those carts
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Hornady loads it ammo pretty warm.

Some of the 30-30 ammo will throw out bullets almost as fast 300 savage.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

I had some Hornady 300 Whisper/300BLK 110 grain Vmax do the same thing.  This was the worst one but probably one out of every 20 blew the primer. 1 out of 2 deformed the rim enough that it wouldn't fit into a shell holder.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I have several thousand rounds of Frontier loaded 75 gr BTHP ammo from years ago.  It was some stuff loaded up for the High Power guys and was loaded on LC or some foreign brass.  It'll pop primers or have a case head separation in anything other than a 5.56 chamber.  It doesn't even like my Wylde chambers.

I shoot it in a Mossberg MVP now.  Don't want to deal with it in my ARs.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have several thousand rounds of Frontier loaded 75 gr BTHP ammo from years ago.  It was some stuff loaded up for the High Power guys and was loaded on LC or some foreign brass.  It'll pop primers or have a case head separation in anything other than a 5.56 chamber. It doesn't even like my Wylde chambers.

I shoot it in a Mossberg MVP now.  Don't want to deal with it in my ARs.

CHRIS
View Quote
Holy shit!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#18]
OP and his friends are having the same issue when fired from a Stag rifle too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:56:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don’t know how much reloading you guys do, but I would say it was more likely UNDER charged instead of over charged with powder.

I’ve experimented with loading 5.56 nearly up to the neck with powder, compressing the powder with the bullet when seating, and never once had any problems other than a slightly flatter than normal primer.  However, when experimenting with subsonic loads, I undercharged one that really went kaboom (in a controlled environment for the purpose of testing).

From what I know, too little powder is far more dangerous and causes detonation than too much powder IN .223/5.56 AT LEAST due to the case design, it’s pretty much designed to be filled up dang near to the top.
View Quote
While I don't think that's the issue here, I remember back in the day people were blowing up cowboy revolvers due to this issue (super-soft, downloaded loads) in .38 spl. and 45 lc.  The issue, if I remember correctly, was there was so little powder in the case, that it all settled at the 'bottom' of the case (long east-west, the position it would be in when the gun was held in a shooting position), and, when the powder ignited, it didn't burn correctly / consistently, from the back to the front of the case, like would normally be encountered with a case full or mostly full of powder, and caused KBs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here are a few empty cases we found after the Kaboom.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180909_215804-666944.JPG
View Quote
Wow...way overcharged.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:06:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

While I don't think that's the issue here, I remember back in the day people were blowing up cowboy revolvers due to this issue (super-soft, downloaded loads) in .38 spl. and 45 lc.  The issue, if I remember correctly, was there was so little powder in the case, that it all settled at the 'bottom' of the case (long east-west, the position it would be in when the gun was held in a shooting position), and, when the powder ignited, it didn't burn correctly / consistently, from the back to the front of the case, like would normally be encountered with a case full or mostly full of powder, and caused KBs.
View Quote
Thank you for that explanation. I was wondering.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Perfect, my work rifle is a POS, i mean POF...fuck

eta; cause spelling
View Quote
If it's shooting fine now, it's not an issue. It's either ammo or headspace, so if you're not blowing primers and having FTE, don't worry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I have never actually seen it in person. Glad that everyone is ok.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Out of curiousity, do you know what the rifle was chambered in? 5.56 or 223?
View Quote
I don't think POF ever made .223-chambered guns.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Primer indentation on the case head? Is it possible that a blown primer welded itself to bolt face and the gun was firing while not completely locked or OOB?
View Quote
more like the plunger for the extractor is making the mark...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#26]
That's impressive.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Some things to keep in mind:

We have no evidence the cartridge is "overcharged".

Kaboom, blown primers, and strong ejector flow as seen can be caused by:

1.  Overcharge
2.  Incorrect burn rate of powder
3.  Incorrect brass hardness/composition. If the case is annealed improperly this cause cause ejector flow and case failure as well, even with a proper charge level.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116433/IMG_4128-667190.JPG

I had some Hornady 300 Whisper/300BLK 110 grain Vmax do the same thing.  This was the worst one but probably one out of every 20 blew the primer. 1 out of 2 deformed the rim enough that it wouldn't fit into a shell holder.
View Quote
Move over buffalo bore, Hornady is making everything +++p
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1.  Overcharge
3.  Incorrect brass hardness/composition. If the case is annealed improperly this cause cause ejector flow and case failure as well, even with a proper charge level.
View Quote
A short-throated chamber could also cause these symptoms with an otherwise safe load.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

more like the plunger for the extractor is making the mark...
View Quote
You’re right, I see the smooshed letters now...
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#31]
The bullet and the headstamp are literally the only difference between a run of this stuff and Lake City M193. That’s it.  My first thought is something to do with the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I suppose the alarm sounded.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted: Move over buffalo bore, Hornady is making everything +++p
View Quote
Don't you mean +++OP+ ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The bullet and the headstamp are literally the only difference between a run of this stuff and Lake City M193. That’s it.  My first thought is something to do with the bullet.
View Quote
Eh. I'm not really seeing the projo being the issue unless they're oversized or something. Which is a much slimmer chance than the things mentioned above. (Wrong powder used, accidental proof/+proof loads)

Clearly wasn't a squib as all of his brass shows severe over pressure signs
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:46:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged to check lot # of 500 rounds when I get home tonight.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hornady isn't afraid to play with pressure. Superformance  is some peppy stuff.
View Quote
Superformance is designed for bolt actions and semi-autos with rifle length gas systems. The Superformance doesn't necessarily have higher pressures, but the pressure curve maintains that peak pressure for a longer period of time. I've learned to just stay the hell away from it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow classic over pressure signs.... I start to sweat when I see a little primer flattening in my handloads lol.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:24:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Reloaded ammo blows up WAY more guns than Factory ammo does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn to roll your own, unless you're a tard.

Chris
It depends on whether the reloader is competent or not.  I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds over the past 20 plus years with no issues.  I can't say the same about factory ammo.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:43:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It depends on whether the reloader is competent or not.  I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds over the past 20 plus years with no issues.  I can't say the same about factory ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn to roll your own, unless you're a tard.

Chris
your also not doing anywhere near the volume of loading that factory would do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#40]
How many rounds did the upper have through it before the boom?

Never mind, was posted later, less than 1000.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#41]
As someone who's never experienced a blown primer....Is it something that is noticeable while shooting without inspecting the brass?  Other than when you kaboom the gun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wow.  I have  1K rounds that I haven't fired yet.  I'm probably not going to use that ammo.
View Quote
Same here wtf
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As someone who's never experienced a blown primer....Is it something that is noticeable while shooting without inspecting the brass?  Other than when you kaboom the gun.
View Quote
The only time I've had a blown primer it was very noticeable as I couldn't pull the trigger for the next shot.  Primer had made its way under the FCG preventing the trigger from being pulled.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It's for bolt guns though.

The popped crimped primers sure are an eye opener.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hornady isn’t afraid to play with pressure. Superformance  is some peppy stuff.
It's for bolt guns though.

The popped crimped primers sure are an eye opener.
Incorrect
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#45]
An AR15 blew up when I was on the range and someone I know was shooting it.  The upper receiver looked like a banana peel, the bolt carrier shattered, the extractor was blown off the bolt, magazine blew off the floor plate and it's sides were blown outward from pressure, but the barrel extension, barrel, lower receiver were fine.  The case looked as if someone had EDM machined from the primer straight through the extractor rim of the case.

I contacted the powder manufacturer, and they said that the powder was specifically designed for the Ar15 and done in such a way that it was impossible to fill a case to over pressure.  They said I could scoop a case full of as much powder I could get into it, and if I could get a bullet on top, it still wouldn't be over pressure.  They asked me to send some rounds for them to examine.  Their lab report said it must have been just a 1 in a million bad case.  Normal operating pressures should have been 50-60K CUP and the rounds I sent were right about 47K CUP and extremely consistent as in match ammo (which it was).    They also said there were no metallurgical issues with the bolt carrier that shattered.

I was able to use the barrel and lower for many more years with no problems.  Some times stuff just happens, but in OP's case I think he got into a lot of ammo that his rifle didn't like.

If Hornady has a pattern of hot loading ammo, it may just be a case where the ammo, and OP's rifle together make pressures that become problematic.  I thought that most manufacturers load to lower pressures just to compensate for rifles that may be too weak to handle hot ammo...the 6.5 Swede ammo is a great example.  The cartridge can be loaded to higher pressures, but most manufacturers deliberately load the Swede ammo to lower pressures because there are still lots of very old rifles that aren't strong enough to handle pressures that the cartridge is capable of handling.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

1.  Overcharge
View Quote
Overweight bullet/bullets
Oversize bullets
Bullet being pushed into case, sometimes yes sometimes not.
Shit primers, to thin of skin, which I know Hornady knows better, but accidents happen.
heavier case's than the test rounds had, and started production with them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
In an AR there's a good chance it'll jam the rifle up. I had one fall out after firing because I was reluctant to retire the brass; it got jammed between the bolt and the receiver extension.

In a bolt gun you know instantly.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The only time I've had a blown primer it was very noticeable as I couldn't pull the trigger for the next shot.  Primer had made its way under the FCG preventing the trigger from being pulled.
View Quote
That's when your primer drops out, when it's way overloaded and the pocket stretches out to the point of letting the primer go, maybe that's what he's asking IDK.

Punctured primers is what I have run into, and no I didn't notice it until I picked up brass, it eats your firing pin tip, which I have had happen to me.

Using CCI 400's. But when you run at max pressure cci 400's are not the primer to use , so my fault.

I kept my powder charge the same {a popular load with Hornady 55gr fmj} but switched primers, and with that same load I've never had another puncture.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was telling one of my other friends to be careful using the Frontier ammo because I had seen him use it before. He just texted me this picture. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126115/20180624_172827-666965.JPG
This was shot out of a Stag.
View Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the photo says 5.56 and Hornady ,but not Frontier .

Two differant " brands " of Hornady ammo ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Has OP's friend contacted Hornady yet?  Who is going to take care of OP's friend Hornady or Federal?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top