Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
We have the lot number from OP's photo, but does anyone have any other lot numbers associated with this type of failure?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like the photo says 5.56 and Hornady ,but not Frontier .

Two differant " brands " of Hornady ammo ?
View Quote
Sorry the other friend was shooting Hornady out of his Stag.
Here is the box with the lot number. He just sent me this picture. He thought it was Frontier.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Ran into a guy at the range who was also having popped primers with his frontier ammo, 55gr FMJs

ETA: DD and BCM factory built uppers/bcg's as well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has OP's friend contacted Hornady yet?  Who is going to take care of OP's friend Hornady or Federal?
View Quote
I haven't talked to my friend yet. He is at work , so I am sure he hasn't  had time to call. I will post info as soon as I find out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
For clarity, frontier or hornady black?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For clarity, frontier or hornady black?
View Quote
Both had blown out primers. The Frontier blew up the POF.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We have the lot number from OP's photo, but does anyone have any other lot numbers associated with this type of failure?
View Quote
I've got 3 of the 150 round boxes, different lot number. Haven't shot any of it yet, but I've got a range day planned for this Sunday. I'm going to take some and put it through a couple rifles while paying close attention to the spent brass. I'll report back next week.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I haven't talked to my friend yet. He is at work , so I am sure he hasn't  had time to call. I will post info as soon as I find out.
View Quote
Just curious as to which company will pony up and help your friend out.  Since it is sold under Hornadys brand but loaded by Federal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got 3 of the 150 round boxes, different lot number. Haven't shot any of it yet, but I've got a range day planned for this Sunday. I'm going to take some and put it through a couple rifles while paying close attention to the spent brass. I'll report back next week.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421675/1F1AD22F-D155-4F51-8637-4D485995C185-667593.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421675/25270A79-3762-40A1-AD1A-35D6B504CFF2-667594.JPG
View Quote
That's interesting... I also have the 150 round boxes of 55gr FMJ, but my item number is FR202 and the lot number is a similar format to OP's, not yours. Your label looks very different.

How long have you had yours? Any idea if it's older or newer production?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's interesting... I also have the 150 round boxes of 55gr FMJ, but my item number is FR202 and the lot number is a similar format to OP's, not yours. Your label looks very different.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421675/1F1AD22F-D155-4F51-8637-4D485995C185-667593.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/421675/25270A79-3762-40A1-AD1A-35D6B504CFF2-667594.JPG

Not sure about production date, just checked my email and it was ordered from Midway on 08/11/2018
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I always like to check fired casings when shooting a new batch of ammo.
This is why. I know it is a little paranoid, but it has saved me a few times.
View Quote
I do the same.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Was that gun chambered in 556 or 223 Wylde?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's when your primer drops out, when it's way overloaded and the pocket stretches out to the point of letting the primer go, maybe that's what he's asking IDK.

Punctured primers is what I have run into, and no I didn't notice it until I picked up brass, it eats your firing pin tip, which I have had happen to me.

Using CCI 400's. But when you run at max pressure cci 400's are not the primer to use , so my fault.

I kept my powder charge the same {a popular load with Hornady 55gr fmj} but switched primers, and with that same load I've never had another puncture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only time I've had a blown primer it was very noticeable as I couldn't pull the trigger for the next shot.  Primer had made its way under the FCG preventing the trigger from being pulled.
That's when your primer drops out, when it's way overloaded and the pocket stretches out to the point of letting the primer go, maybe that's what he's asking IDK.

Punctured primers is what I have run into, and no I didn't notice it until I picked up brass, it eats your firing pin tip, which I have had happen to me.

Using CCI 400's. But when you run at max pressure cci 400's are not the primer to use , so my fault.

I kept my powder charge the same {a popular load with Hornady 55gr fmj} but switched primers, and with that same load I've never had another puncture.
I was asking about blown primers as shown in the OP's picture.

I have had a squib round in a hand gun and noticed that because it didn't cycle properly.

I'm just curious if there are any other tell tale signs than looking at the brass.  I'm thinking if ammo is loaded hot enough to blow primers it would be noticeable but IDK.  Plus I pretty much shoot suppressed so I don't if that would mask signs of over pressure or not.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure about production date, just checked my email and it was ordered from Midway on 08/11/2018
View Quote
FR200, like OP has, is the item number for a 20 round box, and FR202, like I have, is the item number for the 150 round box of Frontier M193.

Item number FR2015 is not shown on Hornady's website, so I wonder if it's a special run for large retailers like Midway. It could also be their newest form of labeling and packaging.

I'll try to remember to check the item number at Cabela's the next time I am there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Was that gun chambered in 556 or 223 Wylde?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Check the headspace.

Even if a "GO" gauge fits if it is very tight fit you can have pressure/chambering issues.  BTDT twice in the last 10 or 12 years.  Grabbed several AR15's, took the bolts apart, checked headspace, swapped the loosest fit bolt for the tight one and no issues after that.

A bolt can "close" on a GO gauge.  The last one I built the bolt would close.  You could feel it grating/dragging as the bolt turned, but it would close/turn.  On the other AR15's I had a couple bolts that I could easily close on the GO gauge and even wiggle the bolt tale back and forth a little bit - but the NO GO gauge would not begin to fit in.

So, one AR15 ends up with a bolt to extension fit a little looser than it was (but still well in spec) and the other ends up with the bolt to extension fit a little tighter than it was (but still well in spec) and the rifles/carbines work/shoot fine with no high pressure signs.

I can't tell you just how many thousandths of an inch either one changed, but I can tell you both now work without the issues they had.  So, it doesn't take a lot of change, sometimes.

Back to get out the headspace gauges and check it out.

edited to add -

Yes, the first time the carbine was blowing primers out, leaving empty cases in the chamber, not chambering/bolt closing on some rounds and the reloads I was using were my "ancient" recipe that has worked just fine in thirteen (13) other AR15's I own or have built as gifts for my sons/wife.  After the bolt swap they work just fine in that problem carbine.  Have for 6 or 8 years now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost bought a 500 round box of the Frontier M193 this weekend for $150 but decided not to due to the sales tax, knew I could do better with a free shipping deal online...  Seems as though I chose well.  Wondering about the 200 rounds of Frontier 5.56, 75g I bought a few weeks ago now though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing.
View Quote
OP any chance you can get hold of a few round like 5 and break them down and weigh the powder load?
get a close up of the powder grains maybe we can identify what they used and how much.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP any chance you can get hold of a few round like 5 and break them down and weigh the powder load?
get a close up of the powder grains maybe we can identify what they used and how much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will ask my friend to send me a picture of a pulled round and powder. I have no idea if he has scales to weigh it.  This may take a day or so to get the info.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was asking about blown primers as shown in the OP's picture.

I have had a squib round in a hand gun and noticed that because it didn't cycle properly.

I'm just curious if there are any other tell tale signs than looking at the brass.  I'm thinking if ammo is loaded hot enough to blow primers it would be noticeable but IDK.  Plus I pretty much shoot suppressed so I don't if that would mask signs of over pressure or not.
View Quote
If it's hot enough to blow primers, it'll have very stout recoil. It would be noticeable even with a suppressor attached.

That said, in a pistol you're building pressure much faster than you are in a rifle. I've never actually seen a pistol blow a primer (I don't shoot a lot of pistols either); I would imagine that's because there's a much finer line between "really hot load" and "blow the gun up" in a semi-auto handgun.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will ask my friend to send me a picture of a pulled round and powder. I have no idea if he has scales to weigh it.  This may take a day or so to get the info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he doesn't and he's in the DFW area I've got a scale that's never been used.  About the time I was getting ready to start reloading ammo prices dropped  
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Tagging for Hornady's response!
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I always like to check fired casings when shooting a new batch of ammo.
This is why. I know it is a little paranoid, but it has saved me a few times.
View Quote
Same here. New gun or new ammo. Starting out shooting with mil-surps ingrained that habit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#24]
5.56 in a .223 maybe? Borderline over pressure for a 5.56 could just be too much for the .223?

Just spitballing here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
5.56 in a .223 maybe? Borderline over pressure for a 5.56 could just be too much for the .223?

Just spitballing here.
View Quote
No, if that were the case you'd see folks blowing primers/guns up constantly. It's not a good idea to run 5.56 in .223 chambers, but it's really a serious "danger".
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If he doesn't and he's in the DFW area I've got a scale that's never been used.  About the time I was getting ready to start reloading ammo prices dropped  
View Quote
I am pretty sure he has access to a scale. Thanks for the offer. It may be a couple of days for an update.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In before it's because piston guns "shit where they eat."
View Quote
You got that backwards. It's still retarded but you did it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As someone who's never experienced a blown primer....Is it something that is noticeable while shooting without inspecting the brass?  Other than when you kaboom the gun.
View Quote
You also might notice it when policing your brass.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#29]
My friend hasn't contacted Hornady yet. He has finally got the upper off the lower. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Damn, that bolt carrier just totally came apart.

Wow.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Check the headspace.

Even if a "GO" gauge fits if it is very tight fit you can have pressure/chambering issues.  BTDT twice in the last 10 or 12 years.  Grabbed several AR15's, took the bolts apart, checked headspace, swapped the loosest fit bolt for the tight one and no issues after that.

A bolt can "close" on a GO gauge.  The last one I built the bolt would close.  You could feel it grating/dragging as the bolt turned, but it would close/turn.  On the other AR15's I had a couple bolts that I could easily close on the GO gauge and even wiggle the bolt tale back and forth a little bit - but the NO GO gauge would not begin to fit in.

So, one AR15 ends up with a bolt to extension fit a little looser than it was (but still well in spec) and the other ends up with the bolt to extension fit a little tighter than it was (but still well in spec) and the rifles/carbines work/shoot fine with no high pressure signs.

I can't tell you just how many thousandths of an inch either one changed, but I can tell you both now work without the issues they had.  So, it doesn't take a lot of change, sometimes.

edited to add -

Yes, the first time the carbine was blowing primers out, leaving empty cases in the chamber, not chambering/bolt closing on some rounds and the reloads I was using were my "ancient" recipe that has worked just fine in thirteen (13) other AR15's I own or have built as gifts for my sons/wife.  After the bolt swap they work just fine in that problem carbine.  Have for 6 or 8 years now.
View Quote
Please explain in as much detail as possible how a tight headspace causes pressure to spike.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#33]
It was a nice gun!
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#34]
WOW bolt is still fully locked.
He can rule out out of battery bang.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Was the BCG staked?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Was the BCG staked?
View Quote
It is a piston POF. The bolt carrier is one peice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Without knowing what the burn characteristics of the powder are, weighing the powder load will not tell you anything.  A number of years ago, a friend mistakenly loaded 2400 instead of 4198 in a 7mm TCU, the results were impressive.  Fortunately the Thompson Center Contender is a VERY strong firearm, but he did stretch the frame.

Commercial manufacturers do not use the same powders that we can normally purchase from our suppliers. They purchase to a general spec and test the powder prior to establishing a load.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Cant help but notice that appears to be an SBR with a pistol gas located gas port distance.  Not saying it's not the ammo - but the cycle timing of that gun is going to be a bit different than typical - might be a factor?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cant help but notice that appears to be an SBR with a pistol gas located gas port distance.  Not saying it's not the ammo - but the cycle timing of that gun is going to be a bit different than typical - might be a factor?
View Quote
It is a POF 9.25" upper on a POF SBRed lower. Luckily the lower survived the kaboom.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Please explain in as much detail as possible how a tight headspace causes pressure to spike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Check the headspace.

edited to add -

Gonna love this one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#41]
With the new pictures, seeing the bolt locked in place, damn impressive!  Looks like the round may have been 1/2 full of  C-4.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#43]
There are labs that can test the remaining rounds in pressure barrels to measure peak chamber pressure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#45]
If you can get the extractor pushed back into place you could probably rotate the bolt and get it out, though it looks like brass flowed under it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
With the new pictures, seeing the bolt locked in place, damn impressive!  Looks like the round may have been 1/2 full of  C-4.
View Quote
50k PSI can do some amazing things to places it shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Its interesting also because I've chronoed this load and its noticeably slower than IMI, PPU and LC M193.

I've had zero issues with the 62gr SP, 55gr FMJ and 75gr T2 5.56 loadings. In fact, they're all fairly slow for 5.56 loads.

My 75gr handloads are faster than their T2 and I'm not even close to max loads (24gr Ramshot TAC).

I've got several hundred of the 75gr for a rainy day. I'll have to shoot 5 from each box over a chrono to verify  pressure
View Quote
Peak pressure could be too high and the projectile could still be moving slower than a different loading where the pressure curve was appropriate but with lower peak pressure.

It's actually a fairly simple calculus problem, area under the curve for the duration that the bullet is in the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No it's not.  At least not anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a piston POF. The bolt carrier is one peice.
No it's not.  At least not anymore.
You may be correct. I may be thinking of another piston gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm talking about this gun in particular.  
View Quote
True
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top