Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And I bet we are going to wind up with a lot of movies of shit blowing up/falling apart/failing to fly, much like the early days of aviation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice 

We're seeing a slow-paced version of the early days of aviation. Companies trying to make it into space for fun and profit... expect a lot of failures but a revolution in the end. 
And I bet we are going to wind up with a lot of movies of shit blowing up/falling apart/failing to fly, much like the early days of aviation.
Only in high definition.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Just because you can.....
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since i duped I'll add my post here

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199158/landscape-1496250796-dbk3ltru0ae3rta-220731.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/199158/gallery-1496253795-strato-leaves-hangar1-website-220732.JPG
The gargantuan Stratolaunch carrier aircraft, built by Scaled Composites and nicknamed the "Roc," has the longest wingspan of any aircraft ever built: 385 feet from tip to tip. The six-engine mothership is designed to carry rockets between its two fuselages. Once at altitude, the mega-plane will drop the launch vehicle, which will then fire its boosters and launch to space from the air.
This is the rocket it will be carrying 3 of!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpcXfaCVQE
Space stuff is always cool and I haven't read the article or much of this thread but you had me at L-1011.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you bet it breaks apart on flight?  That looks flimsy as hell
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure they've done all the calculations but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've talked to them. 60 hr minimum work week for about 1/2 what you would make working anywhere else. "Working at Space X" is a large part of their compensation package. Their burn out rate for employees is staggering.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've talked to them. 60 hr minimum work week for about 1/2 what you would make working anywhere else. "Working at Space X" is a large part of their compensation package. Their burn out rate for employees is staggering.

Quoted:
I've sent my CV to Space-X a couple of times. Hey, I can dream
I figured it would be something like that
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do you bet it breaks apart on flight?  That looks flimsy as hell
View Quote
It wouldn't be.

If anything the airframe would be reinforced.

Still, I'm looking for the why
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's designed and built by Scaled Composites - aka Burt Rutan.  I'd put my ass in ANY airplane he's designed and not worry about it.  This is just big brother to Boomerang and White Knight 2.
View Quote
This.  I'd be more than happy to volunteer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
40 years after the Conroy Virtus was proposed. For scale,those would have been 2 B-52 fuselages.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Virtus_dropping_orbiter.png/300px-Virtus_dropping_orbiter.png
View Quote
What I was thinking as well when I first saw it.  Conroy was designed as a proposed shuttle carrier along with a C-5 Galaxy concept as well.  Apparently there were wind tunnel models made using 2 747 and 2 C-5 fuselages.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

EXACTLY what I was thinking!   Howard Hughes is masturbating in his grave right now
View Quote
Lol. I think you meant drinking his own piss.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Form follows function. 
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's true mission is to ship Rosie O'Donnell to Canada...
View Quote
You're gonne need a bigger plane.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
that does not look structurally sound...
View Quote
I agree. I am no rocket engineer, but I am an engineer. There are better launch platforms you can buy cheaper than build, that come with proven engineering. Why would they come up with something like that, with major disadvantages in the design? Looks like a N. Koren mock up of a prototype.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn we got a whole lot of aeronautical engineers on this forum. I never knew.
View Quote
Amazing isn't it? They're really good ones? too. They can tell it's a stupid piece of crap just from a couple pictures!
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Eeeewwwwww!!!  That's s a freakingly ugly albatross!!!!...
View Quote
My first thought as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree. I am no rocket engineer, but I am an engineer. There are better launch platforms you can buy cheaper than build, that come with proven engineering. Why would they come up with something like that, with major disadvantages in the design? Looks like a N. Koren mock up of a prototype.
View Quote
Rutan and the Scaled folks know their stuff, but a lot of it is U2/SR71/Voyager type stuff- purpose built to achieve one thing at the expense of all other areas of capability.  I'd be happy to fly in that thing with a Bob Hoover type pilot, but not a Chuck Yeager.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rutan and the Scaled folks know their stuff, but a lot of it is U2/SR71/Voyager type stuff- purpose built to achieve one thing at the expense of all other areas of capability.  I'd be happy to fly in that thing with a Bob Hoover type pilot, but not a Chuck Yeager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have let Hoover fly me and mine anywhere at anytime in anything. Including stuff I might somehow have more time in. God Pilot.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#18]
That's a Scaled Composites craft, there's literally no other aerospace company I would trust more as an engineer to have figured out the problems in such a design. I know it looks different but so did the Concorde.

The main benefits of this kind of platform is that (a) you can build the rocket nozzles much more efficiently since they don't have to function near full atmospheric pressure and (b) your launch windows are enormous and it is much easier to rendezvous quickly with a variety of satellites in existing orbits.

Interesting precedent that I didn't know about until just now - in the 1970's the USAF launched a freaking Minuteman out of the back of a C-5!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b8LLcdBaQc
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]
All that just to heave a piece of shit "spacecraft" into suborbital flight for a few seconds to rip off stupid passengers. What a winning business model.

Virgin "Galactic" my ass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:57:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Is there some sort of aerodynamic function that is met by making it look less rigid than a patio umbrella?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm actually NOT an aerospace engineer, but I have taken enough college math and physics to know that without a stabilized tail like the P-38 Lightening
http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.d_uMmMeOCJk3WAp82PmGiwEsDZ&w=261&h=189&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.01&pid=1.7

......that brace between the two fuselages is going to have to be made out of solid titanium infused unobtanium to withstand the X-Y-Z axis stresses of flight, wind gust, weather, weight of 3 rockets and their aerodynamics, computer error, pilot error, etc.

If this thing gets off the ground at all it will have a shorter flight hr log than than Howard Hughs' Spruce Goose.
View Quote
Like this piece of junk?

Only THREE non-stop flights around the globe? Psssh....
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks like a B1 mated with a 747 and had a retarded conjoined kid.

I wonder how thick that center section is, and if it's honeycomb construction or something similar
View Quote
I dunno, looks more to me like the bastard offspring of Voyager and an Antonov Condor. With that wingspan, and the carriage of a heavy load between the fuselage, those wings will flap like a fucking vulture fleeing highway roadkill from an oncoming semi.

High speed harmonic and flutter tests should be interesting, as will be gust response. I wonder how many successful launches from this platform will be required to make it a cost-effective alternative to a first-stage booster rocket.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:03:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Simulations are not real.  Real operating conditions are all that count.
View Quote
It's the Windows 3.0 of aviation.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:04:11 AM EDT
[#24]
You have Paul Allen confused with Richard Branson, this is a different company entirely.

Quoted:
All that just to heave a piece of shit "spacecraft" into suborbital flight for a few seconds to rip off stupid passengers. What a winning business model.

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You think Paul Allen doesn't know how to properly simulate an aircraft design? How to test it for structural integrity under aerodynamic forces?
View Quote
The twin tail booms should be connected via the horizontal stabilizer.

You heard it here first.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I dunno, looks more to me like the bastard offspring of Voyager and an Antonov Condor. With that wingspan, and the carriage of a heavy load between the fuselage, those wings will flap like a fucking vulture fleeing highway roadkill from an oncoming semi.

High speed harmonic and flutter tests should be interesting, as will be gust response. I wonder how many successful launches from this platform will be required to make it a cost-effective alternative to a first-stage booster rocket.
View Quote
I think even if this isn't cheaper than what Space X is building it is going to have a useful place because of the extreme flexibility in the launch window and the variety of orbits it can quickly enter for rendezvous. This delivers a capability that governments would really want and need, or anyone who needs to intercept something in orbit on the order of hours and days rather than weeks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You have Paul Allen confused with Richard Branson, this is a different company entirely.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct, I hadn't even heard of this particular idiotic business model before.  Good luck with all this garbage to launch a mini "dream chaser".
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The twin tail booms should be connected via the horizontal stabilizer.

You heard it here first.
View Quote
Somewhere tonight there is a Scaled Composites engineer drinking whiskey and remembering the first fifty times he had this argument over the last 6 years.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm actually NOT an aerospace engineer, but I have taken enough college math and physics to know that without a stabilized tail like the P-38 Lightening
http://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.d_uMmMeOCJk3WAp82PmGiwEsDZ&w=261&h=189&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.01&pid=1.7

......that brace between the two fuselages is going to have to be made out of solid titanium infused unobtanium to withstand the X-Y-Z axis stresses of flight, wind gust, weather, weight of 3 rockets and their aerodynamics, computer error, pilot error, etc.

If this thing gets off the ground at all it will have a shorter flight hr log than than Howard Hughs' Spruce Goose.
View Quote
I think Spain will end up claiming it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Nice 

We're seeing a slow-paced version of the early days of aviation. Companies trying to make it into space for fun and profit... expect a lot of failures but a revolution in the end. 
View Quote
When old uncle Bob crashed the plane that he built in the barn, out in the hayfield, nobody but a few cows were affected by scattered wreckage flung over the fence.

When some new space company de-orbits 4 seconds too soon and the pressure hull lands in the middle of Metropolis taking out 12 blocks, people wont be amused.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Dargh, I'm GeeDee dumfuk and me's dont think dat plain can flie cause it lerks funnie
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#32]
This does not inspire confidence
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are correct, I hadn't even heard of this particular idiotic business model before.  Good luck with all this garbage to launch a mini "dream chaser".
View Quote
The rocket that will make best use of this platform is likely still in development, just like there weren't any boxcars or coal carriers when the first locomotives started to putter across the English landscape.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:19:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Computers controlling thrust, tail synchronicity...  We might all be in for a pleasant shock.

MAGA, and I don't care even if the dude is a flaming lib.  Watch what this aircraft does.  It's good for US.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#35]
I would not say this is the worlds largest aircraft.

Wingspan yes.

AN 225 is still bigger
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Ah, Scaled Composites.

I thought Burt Rutan as soon as I saw it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would not say this is the worlds largest aircraft.

Wingspan yes.

AN 225 is still bigger
View Quote
AN 225 weight: 628,317 lb
Stratolaunch weight: 1,200,000 lb

Define bigger?

Scratch that, trying to find better numbers for empty weight, journalists are throwing around different numbers.

AN 225 Max Takeoff weight: 1,410,958 lb
Stratolaunch Max Takeoff weight: 1,300,000 lb

Can't find the actual dry weight though, probably because they don't know yet. They said they fabricated 200,000 lbs of carbon fiber composites for the bird already! Damn.

Edit: more comparisons
AN 225 6x engines at 51,600 lbf each
Stratolaunch 6x engines at 46,000-66,500 lbf each
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:40:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Like this piece of junk?
http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/usa/scaled_globalflyer.jpg

Only THREE non-stop flights around the globe? Psssh....
View Quote
Totally different design.  Entire plane with flimsy wings designed to keep a SINGLE Centered cockpit in the air.
Now add 2 cockpits, and 3 heavyass rockets, and NO center support and see how far you get.
Let us know how your flight went with those unsupported tailfins kicking like a kid learning to dogpaddle with a bag of tire weights strapped to its belly , ok?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Even this had a conjoined tail.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:50:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
that does not look structurally sound...
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#41]
How many moabs could you hang in the middle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm not sure whether to laugh or be depressed at the attitudes in here. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:05:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How many moabs could you hang in the middle.
View Quote
There's space and cargo capacity enough to hang 24 right in a row . . .

Oh my God, imagine the Arclight strike with that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#44]
WOW!
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:14:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
looks like 2 queer planes holding hands as they fly.....
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:22:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice 

Doubtful.

Seeing as how everybody reading this is likely using as much computing power as all of 1960 NASA had access to, probably not.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The rocket that will make best use of this platform is likely still in development, just like there weren't any boxcars or coal carriers when the first locomotives started to putter across the English landscape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the XPrize launches they used a rocket with a "feathering" rear section.  Rutan's design there was genius.  A lift vehicle that could reenter the atmosphere sans any special heat shielding like on the early capsules and shuttles.   My guess here is this rig will eventually be used as a people shuttle. Leave Musk to lift tonnage.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:38:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On the XPrize launches they used a rocket with a "feathering" rear section.  Rutan's design there was genius.  A lift vehicle that could reenter the atmosphere sans any special heat shielding like on the early capsules and shuttles.   My guess here is this rig will eventually be used as a people shuttle. Leave Musk to lift tonnage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was no genius in that design, if you tried it at actual orbital velocities it would burn up in seconds.  It works when you are at suborbital altitude and a tiny fraction of orbital velocity.

The same genius mechanism killed a test pilot and damn near killed another on SS2, when it unlocked at speed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#50]
http://www.air-and-space.com/20041004%20Mojave/DSC_4325%20White%20Knight%20N318SL%20SpaceShipOne%20N328KF%20right%20side%20take-off%20m.jpg

Rutan's White Knight and the rocket that won the X Prize competition. Note that it's tail sections are not conjoined.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top