Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:09:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Black American men are safer in Mexico than any major US city.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:14:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know Mexico but I've been in a lot of South America. I imagine I would feel perfectly safe in touristy areas and mostly safe in non-touristy areas. Cartel zones I would stay the fuck out of. But even then, I'm sure you're good if you stay in the nice part of town and don't start shit. But keep in mind you could be cut up by a machete by someone who will have zero repercussions. I think you're probably more likely to just get robbed by some non-cartel simple gangster. Wherever you are, being a big fat stupid gringo will certainly put a target on your back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I avoid any place that has broken glass on top of walls, bars over windows or razor ribbon around homes or businesses.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of skittish Europeans, hemming and hawing over whether they should visit the US, on account of all the gun violence and school shootings, and such.

I mean - the news is pretty accurate, afterall. Right?
View Quote

For a bunch of wannabe apocalyptic warlords that talk big about what they'll do "when the balloon goes up"... it's funny to see them afraid to go to Cancun or any other number of places with less risk than you'd have in Chicago right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:34:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Did 2 interior trips in Mexico - 1998 and 1999.  We would camp for a week kayaking.  Beautiful places, mostly great people.  But we also knew we were in Cartel areas.  At that point in time, the Cartel did not really want to draw attention to themselves - for the most part we were probably more protected than threatened.  Cartel situation is different now.  More broken, more fighting, care less about killing a few Americans.

Second trip was during a Chipas uprising, we had Mexican troops guarding our campground.  I was sleeping in the back of my truck that year, I had Mexican Military with a vehicle mounted heavy machine gun less than 20' from me.  They would come in during the evenings (after the park was closed - we were an exception, tourism was considered good PR) and park right behind our vehicles for the night.  That said, the park we were at had a significant hydro electric plant in it - which they feared would be a target, not us.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Only with CAS...
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:48:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:53:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I avoid any place that has broken glass on top of walls, bars over windows or razor ribbon around homes or businesses.
View Quote

I also avoid anyplace I can't go armed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I've enjoyed Mexican cokes on the streets at all hours of the night by myself and it was fine. I've never been pulled over, forced to pay a bribe, or robbed (same thing, I guess ). Beggars and dogs wanting food? Sure.

The "real" Mexico is full of good people. Just don't look like you're lost and use your common sense - just like you would in any other place in the world.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wherever Pati's Mexican Table is filmed looks pretty safe.  She's a kinda hot "Mexican" milf with a nice rack that the producers try to hide.  Giada ain't afraid to show and they're both probably Catholic so what gives, Pati?

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's fine until it's not.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Let me ask RIOlover's friend about how safe it is there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:12:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Just got back from the Zona Norte in TJ.  Bunch of limp wristed slack jawed fags up in here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]
No, not really.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This thread reminds me of skittish Europeans, hemming and hawing over whether they should visit the US, on account of all the gun violence and school shootings, and such.

I mean - the news is pretty accurate, afterall. Right?
View Quote

A majority in this thread seem to have personal experience. It's being dismissed by some people.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I avoid any place whose residents feel they have to carry guns everywhere they go.

See how that works?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let me ask RIOlover's friend about how safe it is there.
View Quote

The guy did the equivalent of driving to the Robert Taylor homes in chicago in a new corvette and camping on top of it overnight? That idiot?

He literally drive a motorcycle through a known warzone where cops, gangs, and citizen vigilante groups were in frequent armed standoffs, and where every government and travel-focused website -in Mexico and the U.S, was warning people not to travel to for any reason? That guy?

People have a way of finding that they are looking for, be it rationalizations or trouble.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
When you say Mexico, do you mean Egypt?
View Quote

Spit coffee all over my laptop you bastard :-)
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't vaca to Mx anymore, even the resorts.

The narco-cartel influence is too powerful and too broad.  YMMV
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#26]
That close to the war in Gaza? Fuck no.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#27]
20 years ago my answer would already be no, based on friends in California who were naive enough to do so.

But if you like arguing with foreign police who want you to completely empty your wallet or go to jail, then go for it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:39:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Right, but that's true of like...anywhere, ain't it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Beavercreek Wal-Mart, in a nice area near me, is an infamously dangerous place.  The Mega in San Jose del Cabo is far nicer except every clerk tries to get you to go to a timeshare presentation.  Maybe that is worse than getting shot.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not up for stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:46:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Beavercreek Wal-Mart, in a nice area near me, is an infamously dangerous place.  The Mega in San Jose del Cabo is far nicer except every clerk tries to get you to go to a timeshare presentation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Beavercreek Wal-Mart, in a nice area near me, is an infamously dangerous place.  The Mega in San Jose del Cabo is far nicer except every clerk tries to get you to go to a timeshare presentation.

It's extremely weird for me to read your post.

Because I lived in Beavercreek on North Sunnyside drive from 1966-68 and it was nothing but country living back then.

We lived adjacent to the Bernhardt farm if you know where that is or was and it was a great place to be a kid.

I mean, the best.

Buckeye rings and fresh apple cider and the whole ball of wax.

There were green apple trees all around there back then that were supposed to have been introduced into that area by "Johnny Appleseed," if you have ever heard of that guy before.

Life was quite a bit more simple and relaxed back then as well.

We had good friends like family who lived in Fairborn too.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#31]
If you have to ask that question, you shouldn’t go.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#33]
No fucking way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#34]
My wife is feom Jalisco and we go down a couple, three times a year.

I wouldn’t go by myself.  

I took my in-laws to the bus station in Reynosa Tuesday.  It’s the worst place to be but if you stay on the biggest streets, avoid the West side, and gtfo before dark you’re probably ok.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#35]
No.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I haven't been to Mexico since 1988 and I ain;t missing shit.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

State-level maps like that don't tell the story well, but do help give an idea. There are parts of yellow states that deserve special mention, and parts of orange states that deserve none. There are even some very small parts of red states I wouldn't say you necessarily have to avoid, if you know the area. They are very small parts, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

State-level maps like that don't tell the story well, but do help give an idea. There are parts of yellow states that deserve special mention, and parts of orange states that deserve none. There are even some very small parts of red states I wouldn't say you necessarily have to avoid, if you know the area. They are very small parts, though.

This. Ensenada (yellow area, top of Baja) was pretty dodgy after dark when I did a job there a few years ago. Acapulco was downright dangerous (red area, Guerrero) when I was there about twelve years ago. My client had his service techs pick me up from the hotel every day in a windowless work van and hide me in the back. The guys told me in no uncertain terms that I was going to be kidnapped if I strayed from the hotel or took local transport. Lots of gunfire at night.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't speak enough Spanish to go to Mexico or many parts of America
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to drive to central Mexico to go caving back in the 80's.  I even took my two small children and my wife there to go camping.  No way in hell I would do that now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My wife is feom Jalisco and we go down a couple, three times a year.

I wouldn't go by myself.  

I took my in-laws to the bus station in Reynosa Tuesday.  It's the worst place to be but if you stay on the biggest streets, avoid the West side, and gtfo before dark you're probably ok.
View Quote

Such a shame. My Dad use to take us to the bull fights in Reynosa every Sunday back in the '60s.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Would rather travel there than the bad areas of New Orleans, St Louis, Detroit, etc.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cozumel has broken glass on walls, bars on windows, yet is very safe for tourists.  Never felt threatened there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's weird to me to read your post.

Because I lived in Beavercreek on North Sunnyside drive from 1966-68 and it was nothing but country living back then.

We lived adjacent to the Bernhardt farm if you know where that is or was and it was a great place to be a kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's weird to me to read your post.

No knowledge of the local old days.  Arrived in Fairborn in 2002.  A lot more people now than 2002 and with the increase in attractions and general societal decay there are a lot more problems. The mall area and WSU area is too easily accessible from urban and aged inner suburbs.  I'm east of 675 towards Yellow Springs in a zero crime neighborhood full of retired military and other upstanding citizens.  Widow ladies do pose an occasional issue for me and my wife is not amused particularly the stuck zipper incident.  How that lady got so tangled up IDK.  

We plan on going on annual two week vacations to Mexico as long as we are fit enough to travel unless the Riviera Maya gets to be far worse than it is now.  Where we stay is completely relaxing and no hassle, no soliciting, no timeshare, no need for dinner reservations.  Fun activities and entertainment that you can get away from if you want quiet.  Lots of restaurants and bars.   Low rise buildings well screened by trees and arranged so the huge place is a series of small and beautiful spaces.  6 tenths of a mile beach, 46,000 sq ft mainpool, 30,000 sq ft pool fringing the swim up suites, lots of palm tree shady spots in the pool.  Poolside food trucks, large swim up bars with fast service with roving servers if you can't summon the strength to wade over to one of the swim up bars.
Very friendly staff.  I'd like to go to a place like this in the States but there are none that come close.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:50:26 AM EDT
[#45]
One mild regret I have is not getting an ADV bike and riding Copper Canyon and surrounds 20 or so years ago. I'm kinda old for that now and it would be not safe nowadays more than likely.  ADVRider might have some current info about Copper Canyon but there is still the ride down through the border area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#46]

I saw the thread was already linked above, haha. When I logged on this morning this was the order on the front page.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:11:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/J3s7tWy_d.webp?maxwidth=760&fidelity=grand

I saw the thread was already linked above, haha. When I logged on this morning this was the order on the front page.
View Quote

That other one... Even the thread title would have you believe he was kidnapped in New York and then found thousands of miles away. It's not as dramatic when he's found a mile outside his home. But, still waiting for at least one other poster to acknowledge how ridiculous the idea of kidnappers leaving a tac vest, mags, and marijuana residue at the scene of the crime is. That whole thing reads like, "Mexican authorities don't want to make any direct accusations against American citizens because they know derp will be unleashed about victim blaming."
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Black American men are safer in Mexico than any major US city.
View Quote

Probably due to there being fewer black American men.

Statistically.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but in context of Mexico it’s a corrupt narco state.  Americans have become a resource to be exploited, whether by price gouging, bribes, or kidnapping and ransom.  It’s gotten bad everywhere not just Mexico.  The golden of age of travel is dying.  And in the CONUS our cities and parks are loaded with the same, we still have a decade or two to go to mirror how bad it’s in MX.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#50]
The cartels are here, in the USA, in every city. Not just the big ones, the small ones as well. They just don't operate in the same manner as they do in their contested areas in Mexico.

Contested areas are where it's dangerous; most of these are routes to get product to the USA as well as lots of border areas, for obvious reasons.

Basically, if you are in a town in Mexico, there is almost certainly cartel presence, but they go for the big trafficking money. They aren't going to mess around with muggings, kidnappings and other small-time crimes like that. Local thugs are more likely to join and go for the better payoff rather than continue to work as an "independent contractor," and in a lot of places the cartel is effectively keeping things running smoothly without violence as they have more power locally than the police do. Think the Mafia in NYC in the earlier part of the 1900s. For the average person living there or visiting, you're not going to likely even realize it unless you are doing sketchy stuff yourself, and THEN you'll find out.

The total number of Americans missing in Mexico is 550, and that's a total starting from 2006. And that doesn't differentiate on who these Americans are, why they were there, and what they could be involved in.

How many Americans do you think are missing in the USA?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top