Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I've made the drive all the way down to Belize many times...in the 70's.  No chance in hell I would attempt it now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cartels are here, in the USA, in every city. Not just the big ones, the small ones as well. They just don't operate in the same manner as they do in their contested areas in Mexico.

Contested areas are where it's dangerous; most of these are routes to get product to the USA as well as lots of border areas, for obvious reasons.

Basically, if you are in a town in Mexico, there is almost certainly cartel presence, but they go for the big trafficking money. They aren't going to mess around with muggings, kidnappings and other small-time crimes like that. Local thugs are more likely to join and go for the better payoff rather than continue to work as an "independent contractor," and in a lot of places the cartel is effectively keeping things running smoothly without violence as they have more power locally than the police do. Think the Mafia in NYC in the earlier part of the 1900s. For the average person living there or visiting, you're not going to likely even realize it unless you are doing sketchy stuff yourself, and THEN you'll find out.

The total number of Americans missing in Mexico is 550, and that's a total starting from 2006. And that doesn't differentiate on who these Americans are, why they were there, and what they could be involved in.

How many Americans do you think are missing in the USA?
View Quote

The problem with any news about "Americans" in Mexico is that, since the U.S. does not recognize dual citizenship by policy, we rarely know if those Americans aren't also Mexicans. Add to that the U.S.-born Mexican contingent which is a critical and useful aspect of any transborder organized crime enterprise, and it's all too easy to paint a picture of hazards to "tourists" that is more than a bit exaggerated.

What I don't understand is the people who are inconsistent in their exaggerated dramatizations. We are supposed to simultaneously believe that all of Mexico is a complete failed state of corrupt cops and narco-trafficking, permeating every aspect of society, while also refusing to accept that any "American" who is reported as the victim of a violent crime might have been an active part of that permeation. Nope, it's always spun as a naive idiot who got his just deserts because he believed the hype about retiring to Mexico, or that it was safe to vacation in Mexico. This is important to the narrative, because there is a constant and strong undercurrent of "you deserve what's coming to you" from the "not go anywhere without my gun" crowd.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is wholly dependent on both where in Mexico you are going, what you expect to do, and how you define "safe,"

I would not be driving down into the interior at all, but there are plenty of places where flying to said place and traveling about is not really any more risky than driving around a major U.S. city. There are very few places where I'd not avoid being out on the road during hours of darkness.
View Quote

huh ?  Double negative much?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got back from Baja. Go about 4 times a year. Next trip is in March, Loreto to Ensenada on the back roads, i.e. dirt. Not scared.  Most likely will retire on East Cape, or near Todos Santos.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is wholly dependent on both where in Mexico you are going, what you expect to do, and how you define "safe,"

I would not be driving down into the interior at all, but there are plenty of places where flying to said place and traveling about is not really any more risky than driving around a major U.S. city. There are very few places where I'd not avoid being out on the road during hours of darkness.

How should I have worded I Mr. Editor? "Generally, most places I'd avoid being out on the road during hours of darkness?"

Doesn't that lose some... panache?

Sometimes, a sentence needs panache.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The problem with any news about "Americans" in Mexico is that, since the U.S. does not recognize dual citizenship by policy, we rarely know if those Americans aren't also Mexicans. Add that the U.S.-born Mexican contingent which is a critical and useful aspect of any transborder organized crime enterprise, and it's all too easy to paint a picture of hazards to "tourists" that is more than a bit exaggerated.

What I don't understand is the people who are inconsistent in their exaggerated dramatizations. We are supposed to simultaneously believe that all of Mexico is a complete failed state of corrupt cops and narco-trafficking, permeating every aspect of society, while also refusing to accept that any "American" who is reported as the victim of a violent crime might have been an active part of that permeation. Nope, it's always spun a naive idiot who got his just deserts because he believed the hype about retiring to Mexico, or that it was safe to vacation in Mexico. This is important to the narrative, because there is a constant and strong undercurrent of "you deserve what's coming to you" from the "not go anywhere without my gun" crowd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cartels are here, in the USA, in every city. Not just the big ones, the small ones as well. They just don't operate in the same manner as they do in their contested areas in Mexico.

Contested areas are where it's dangerous; most of these are routes to get product to the USA as well as lots of border areas, for obvious reasons.

Basically, if you are in a town in Mexico, there is almost certainly cartel presence, but they go for the big trafficking money. They aren't going to mess around with muggings, kidnappings and other small-time crimes like that. Local thugs are more likely to join and go for the better payoff rather than continue to work as an "independent contractor," and in a lot of places the cartel is effectively keeping things running smoothly without violence as they have more power locally than the police do. Think the Mafia in NYC in the earlier part of the 1900s. For the average person living there or visiting, you're not going to likely even realize it unless you are doing sketchy stuff yourself, and THEN you'll find out.

The total number of Americans missing in Mexico is 550, and that's a total starting from 2006. And that doesn't differentiate on who these Americans are, why they were there, and what they could be involved in.

The problem with any news about "Americans" in Mexico is that, since the U.S. does not recognize dual citizenship by policy, we rarely know if those Americans aren't also Mexicans. Add that the U.S.-born Mexican contingent which is a critical and useful aspect of any transborder organized crime enterprise, and it's all too easy to paint a picture of hazards to "tourists" that is more than a bit exaggerated.

What I don't understand is the people who are inconsistent in their exaggerated dramatizations. We are supposed to simultaneously believe that all of Mexico is a complete failed state of corrupt cops and narco-trafficking, permeating every aspect of society, while also refusing to accept that any "American" who is reported as the victim of a violent crime might have been an active part of that permeation. Nope, it's always spun a naive idiot who got his just deserts because he believed the hype about retiring to Mexico, or that it was safe to vacation in Mexico. This is important to the narrative, because there is a constant and strong undercurrent of "you deserve what's coming to you" from the "not go anywhere without my gun" crowd.

Exactly, how many people were like the US citizens who were part of the "business" and summoned to Mexico to meet with the boss?

Good point about the dual citizenships as well.

Ultimately, the US and our drug addictions, as well as the criminalization of them which forces the black market, is fully responsible for the cartels' very existence. And there a lot of US citizens on their payroll.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to have to travel to Matamoros on business.

While I didn't like it, I never thought I was in danger.
View Quote

How long ago?
US Steel used to send some managers to some mills down their through their United Engineer Consultants group.  Something like 20-25 years ago they were warning people that went to avoid travel to certain areas and back then beware of bandits (no beheadings yet then)
I went to Monterrey once but we stayed and were driven  in the better and industrial sections.  So wasn’t that bad and no travel between cities.   But never had to go back.  
No way would I even want to go to a resort there now.  Well maybe on Baja California but nowhere else there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy kidnapping insurance...
View Quote

That's a policy you enjoy collecting on!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was going to post about this.  We haven't done a big trip in awhile and were thinking of going to Cabo in March or June.  My wife lived in Del Rio as a teenager and went to Mexico all the time.  I told her it's likely a lot different than the 90s.  I have friends who go every year to Cancun but they just stay at the resort.  I don't want to do that, I like to get out and explore.

That said, in Cabo do visitors just camp out at the resort or do they go up and down the coast between San Lucas and San Jose, hitting the beaches, restaurants, stores, etc.?  If one does go out does it need to be with organized tours?  Do you get a rental car or just take cabs or what?  Someone please explain if it's pretty safe to go around to do stuff or not.

Our other idea is Singapore.  If I book it right, the cost to Singapore isn't too much more.  Airfare is a bit more, and we'd have to use more days due to the distance of travel, but it's doable.  I have zero qualms about the safety in Singapore, everything is in English, but it's kinda cloudy, rainy and blah compared to that Baja peninsula.
View Quote

Cabo is not even MX. Drive regularly there, do stupid shit, hike, surf, motorcycle, anything I want no issues.  I have been by myself, last trip was with wife and ex-GF, no issues. Don't be an asshole, don't drive out of the cities at night.   Once you leave the main tourist areas, Spanish is required.   The most dangerous things in Cabo is the beaches and dumb gringos drowning. I have three sets of friends that live there full time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Cabo is not even MX. Drive regularly there, do stupid shit, hike, surf, motorcycle, anything I want no issues.  I have been by myself, last trip was with wife and ex-GF, no issues. Don't be an asshole, don't drive out of the cities at night.   Once you leave the main tourist areas, Spanish is required.   The most dangerous things in Cabo is the beaches and dumb gringos drowning. I have three sets of friends that live there full time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to post about this.  We haven't done a big trip in awhile and were thinking of going to Cabo in March or June.  My wife lived in Del Rio as a teenager and went to Mexico all the time.  I told her it's likely a lot different than the 90s.  I have friends who go every year to Cancun but they just stay at the resort.  I don't want to do that, I like to get out and explore.

That said, in Cabo do visitors just camp out at the resort or do they go up and down the coast between San Lucas and San Jose, hitting the beaches, restaurants, stores, etc.?  If one does go out does it need to be with organized tours?  Do you get a rental car or just take cabs or what?  Someone please explain if it's pretty safe to go around to do stuff or not.

Our other idea is Singapore.  If I book it right, the cost to Singapore isn't too much more.  Airfare is a bit more, and we'd have to use more days due to the distance of travel, but it's doable.  I have zero qualms about the safety in Singapore, everything is in English, but it's kinda cloudy, rainy and blah compared to that Baja peninsula.

Do they still have a daily english-language newspaper up that way?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do they still have a daily english-language newspaper up that way?
View Quote

Yep the Gringo Gazette.

Pic is East Cape, La Fortuna, nice ride from Zacatitos, Santiago, Cabo Pulmo and back.  Great day.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah.. not scared like the rest of the pussys.

Cabo Pulmo

Start of Bisbee

Tecolote

Santiago

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A lot of these guys are too scared to even go to their local WalMart.
View Quote

I have been to their local WMT's and I understand.

Planned travel this year. Big Bend (motorcycle camping), Dubai, Maldives (liveaboard)  NYC, SFO, Copenhagen, WY BDR (motorcycle) Loreto to Ensenda (motorcycle)  Baja, Prague, Vienna, Budapest.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have been to their local WMT's and I understand.

Planned travel this year. Big Bend (motorcycle camping), Dubai, Maldives (liveaboard)  NYC, SFO, Copenhagen, WY BDR (motorcycle) Loreto to Ensenda (motorcycle)  Baja, Prague, Vienna, Budapest.  
View Quote

To be fair, I think it's a good way to determine if it's a good neighborhood if you're relocating. Go to the nearest WalMart in the middle of the day and see if it has somewhat tolerable people there; because you're gonna see a cross-section of the worst.

That sounds awesome... I recently got back into motorcycles after a long break... I had mostly dual-sports before but this time opted for a full-dresser Harley; I'm older and prefer comfort. I've kicked around the idea of a long road trip since I work remotely.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Mexicans I work with refuse to drive home on their rotations. They'll only fly because cartels control the roads. They're from central Mexico (different parts of Jalisco) and even in Jalisco, cartels have taken over everything including avocado farms where they grew up. They say the entire country is dangerous so they stay close to home and only fly if they have to travel.
View Quote

A younger coworker of mine has been planning a big trip back with his father. His father was born there. They have not been down to visit in 15 years. They are flying down. They are not taking his wife and small children.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have said it for years, us citizens who frequent the border region know better then to go into Mexico. Kidnapping is big business there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Black American men are safer in Mexico than any major US city.
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To be fair, I think it's a good way to determine if it's a good neighborhood if you're relocating. Go to the nearest WalMart in the middle of the day and see if it has somewhat tolerable people there; because you're gonna see a cross-section of the worst.

That sounds awesome... I recently got back into motorcycles after a long break... I had mostly dual-sports before but this time opted for a full-dresser Harley; I'm older and prefer comfort. I've kicked around the idea of a long road trip since I work remotely.
View Quote

True...   I wonder if most of these people have ever left their mom's basement or banged someone they were not related to.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have said it for years, us citizens who frequent the border region know better then to go into Mexico. Kidnapping is big business there.
View Quote

Can you post some stats on how many US citizens are actually kidnapped in Mexico, since it is such a big business there? Even including the violent, turbulent US border regions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

... last trip was with wife and ex-GF, no issues....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Can you post some stats on how many US citizens are actually kidnapped in Mexico, since it is such a big business there? Even including the violent, turbulent US border regions.
View Quote

Lol, you can take my spot for visiting such a shithole country.  I've been there more than most that have posted in this thread but it is still a shithole country no matter how you look at it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

For a bunch of wannabe apocalyptic warlords that talk big about what they'll do "when the balloon goes up"... it's funny to see them afraid to go to Cancun or any other number of places with less risk than you'd have in Chicago right now.
View Quote

The deck is totally stacked against you if you have to race a threat in a foreign country.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:29:26 PM EDT
[#24]
87% of Mexico is safer than most large US cities.  There are places there I would avoid, but I would happily head to Mexico today.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Is it still illegal to have a gun there?

If the answer is yes, then it's not safe to go to Mexico.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Lol, you can take my spot for visiting such a shithole country.  I've been there more than most that have posted in this thread but it is still a shithole country no matter how you look at it.
View Quote

It’s a lot poorer than the US for sure. However I’m interested in the stats of  “big business of kidnapping” as it pertains to US citizens; not ignoring and deflecting with your personal feelings and beliefs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It’s a lot poorer than the US for sure. However I’m interested in the stats of  “big business of kidnapping” as it pertains to US citizens; not ignoring and deflecting with your personal feelings and beliefs.
View Quote

I don't give a fuck about your feelings, if you can't drink the water because of raw sewage being introduced into the water table it's a shithole country.  Again, fuck your "feelings", if you want to go there great, just don't try to argue that it's a great place to vacation when it's a shithole.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't give a fuck about your feelings, if you can't drink the water because of raw sewage being introduced into the water table it's a shithole country.  Again, fuck your "feelings", if you want to go there great, just don't try to argue that it's a great place to vacation when it's a shithole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It usually doesn't take long before nanny state sentiment manifests in these threads either.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you OK?

Again. I am interested specifically in the big business of kidnapping US citizens. Please get out of your intense emotions, take a Midol, and either move on or assist your friend in coming up with statistics showing how many Americans have been kidnapped.

I am curious whether there is other data available besides the TOTAL of 550 missing people since 2006, for any reason, while visiting or living in Mexico, that I have found while looking into it. 550 total in all those years, when over 20 million visit every single year. 33.5 million last year alone.

None of my posts have anything to do with feelings; unlike your irrational outbursts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Are you OK?

Again. I am interested specifically in the big business of kidnapping US citizens. Please get out of your intense emotions, take a Midol, and either move on or assist your friend in coming up with statistics showing how many Americans have been kidnapped.

I am curious whether there is other data available besides the TOTAL of 550 missing people since 2006, for any reason, while visiting or living in Mexico, that I have found while looking into it. 550 total in all those years, when over 20 million visit every single year. 33.5 million last year alone.

None of my posts have anything to do with feelings; unlike your irrational outbursts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you OK?

There is always a certain irony when people express such raw emotion while accusing others of too much focus in "feelings." Makes for entertainment, however.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, quite while you're ahead numnuts.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lol, quite while you're ahead numnuts.  
View Quote

Whatever personal struggles you're going through right now, I'm sorry and I hope things get better for you.

Thoughts and prayers going out to you for peace and healing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a lot poorer than the US for sure. However I'm interested in the stats of  "big business of kidnapping" as it pertains to US citizens; not ignoring and deflecting with your personal feelings and beliefs.

I suppose I could vacation in Appalachia.

Attachment Attached File

Or a shithole like Mexico

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Last June I was a young 70 years old.  Showing the colors...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Whatever personal struggles you're going through right now, I'm sorry and I hope things get better for you.

Thoughts and prayers going out to you for peace and healing.
View Quote

Just cooked some linguine Carbonara and washed it down with a bottle of Rodney Strong cab so I am good.  My credit score and income to debt ratio is better than you, or anyone in your entire family, will ever see in your whole lifetime.  Not many "personal struggles" to speak of.  Have a good night.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't tell him that the water is perfectly fine in most of those resorts or he might burst a vessel
View All Quotes
Never a problem with the sushi either.  Strolling to dinner has a similar ambiance to walking from the Days Inn to the next-door Waffle House though.  Lunch poolside was such a hassle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#37]
FINALLY I am number one at something
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just cooked some linguine Carbonara and washed it down with a bottle of Rodney Strong cab so I am good.  My credit score and income to debt ratio is better than you, or anyone in your entire family, will ever see in your whole lifetime.  Not many "personal struggles" to speak of.  Have a good night.
View Quote

LOL, you REALLY don't know me.

Hope the wine relaxed you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 9:58:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been to the border town of Nuevo Progreso twice in the past month. I felt safer and was hassled less than when I visit Las Vegas or any number of larger US cities. Add to that I ate street vendor food, drank a margarita with (I assume) Mexican ice. I didn’t get sick. I went to the doctor for some minor surgery and was pleased at the professionalism and cleanliness of the office as well as the results.

In general, it is very poor compared to the US but everyone was friendly, helpful  and polite. I was advised that the cartel runs the town and keeps it safe for those of us who visit and spend our dollars. Is that the truth?  Who knows, but whatever is going on it seems to work.

I have not traveled to the deep interior of Mexico yet but have begun planning a RV trip to Baja based on the positive reports from many others.

YMMV and all that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have been to the border town of Nuevo Progreso twice in the past month. I felt safer and was hassled less than when I visit Las Vegas or any number of larger US cities. Add to that I ate street vendor food, drank a margarita with (I assume) Mexican ice. I didn’t get sick. I went to the doctor for some minor surgery and was pleased at the professionalism and cleanliness of the office as well as the results.

In general, it is very poor compared to the US but everyone was friendly, helpful  and polite. I was advised that the cartel runs the town and keeps it safe for those of us who visit and spend our dollars. Is that the truth?  Who knows, but whatever is going on it seems to work.

I have not traveled to the deep interior of Mexico yet but have begun planning a RV trip to Baja based on the positive reports from many others.

YMMV and all that.
View Quote

That's historically Gulf Cartel Territory. Someone more current in those eastern border cartels would have to chime in as to what the actually means. Most of the news in that region was way back the they and the Zetas were duking things out.

Most of Mexico's drug violence in the past decade has been tied to the leadership collapse in the Sinaloa Cartel (what I half-jokingly refer to as the wars of Sinaloa Cartel secession) and the rise of the "Tierra Caliente," in the interior, especially the CJSC - Cartel Jalisco New Generation. They're up and comers and do what all of these criminal groups seem to do in that state - a lot of the old ultraviolence.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a lot poorer than the US for sure. However I'm interested in the stats of  "big business of kidnapping" as it pertains to US citizens; not ignoring and deflecting with your personal feelings and beliefs.

I suppose I could vacation in Appalachia.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/Truckin-Pool-Party-1_jpg-3124836.JPG

Or a shithole like Mexico

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/3-9-17_STB_Valentin_1200x612_jpg-3124843.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/IMG_2029_JPG-3124854.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/IMG_2033_JPG-3124856.JPG

Last June I was a young 70 years old.  Showing the colors...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312702/P7040178_JPG-3124865.JPG

I just stayed a month and a half at resorts on the Riviera Maya a couple of years ago. Still a shithole

That was right before gunmen shot up a hotel in Cancun, right around when several foreign tourists were killed in Tulum.

But yeah, feeling safe ftw lol
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I flew into Querataro and drove to San Miguel de Allende in a rental and stayed for a week in an Airbnb for a wedding with no issues. The traffic and driving patterns were nuts but other than that we had no issues. Never felt unsafe at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I flew into Querataro and drove to San Miguel de Allende in a rental and stayed for a week in an Airbnb for a wedding with no issues. The traffic and driving patterns were nuts but other than that we had no issues. Never felt unsafe at all.
View Quote

What was your drive time from Querétaro airport to San Miguel? Been wondering what that road is like.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Fuck no! Next question!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

From 01 January 2022 to 30 June 2022 115 US Citizens died in Mexico (US State Department data). That's roughly 20% less than your 500 missing persons figure which spanned 18 freaking years. Homicides, vehicle accidents, medical emergencies, food poisoning, etc.. With Mexico's rates of interpersonal violence and general backwards infrastructure, the odds are the infrequent traveler will be in a world of shit.

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Hell no.  Never had any desire to go to Mexico and probably never will.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

From 01 January 2022 to 30 June 2022 115 US Citizens died in Mexico (US State Department data). That's roughly 20% less than your 500 missing persons figure which spanned 18 freaking years. Homicides, vehicle accidents, medical emergencies, food poisoning, etc.. With Mexico's rates of interpersonal violence and general backwards infrastructure, the odds are the infrequent traveler will be in a world of shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

33.54 million US citizens visited Mexico in 2022. (cite) Divide that in half and that's approx 16.75 million from Jan through June.

So, 0.0007% of visiting US citizens would be expected to die each year, and that's not counting dual citizens/permanent residents who live primarily in Mexico who wouldn't be counted as "visitors" who may have died from any number of things, presumably even natural causes.

How does that indicate that the odds are that the infrequent traveler will be in a world of shit?

I'm just doing the math.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I just stayed a month and a half at resorts on the Riviera Maya a couple of years ago. Still a shithole

That was right before gunmen shot up a hotel in Cancun, right around when several foreign tourists were killed in Tulum.

But yeah, feeling safe ftw lol
View Quote
Try doing some research and pick decent resorts.  The first all-inclusive we went to in Mexico on a spur-of-the-moment trip sucked big time.  So we did some research before going again and hit gold.  There are lots of resorts down there I'd never choose for a variety of reasons - especially timeshares.  Off the resort, there is a lot of poverty but there are plenty of places to go and sights to see that are just as safe and fun as attractions in the states.

I've traveled quite a bit here in the States for work and fun.  Sometimes the hotel or resort turned out to be a shithole.  That's a risk if you don't know where your road trip will get you when it is time to stop for the night.  Suck it up unless there are bugs.  

I'll take the Grandkids and their friends to Kings Island several times each summer but if it is on a Friday or Saturday we leave at 5 or 6 o'clock because the crowd changes markedly for the worse.

We go to dinner in the Oregon District in Dayton occasionally.  9 dead, 17 wounded on August 4th, 2019 shot by a deranged piece of filth on the street in the Oregon District.

Las Vegas - 58 killed and nearly 500 injured in just a few minutes by (reportedly) one man means we should all not go there.  

I'll avoid Orlando and for sure the Pulse nightclub (well, I'm not gay so I'd have avoided that club anyway) - 48 killed and 53 wounded by one man.

9 dead at a Waco Twin Peaks MC gang shootout.  And on and on and on.  

Every year there are shootings at SW Ohio bars and clubs.  I choose carefully which ones I patronize.

In another thread, I got criticized because I crossed in the middle of the day, no stops, part of the Pine Ridge reservation on SD Rt44 on my bike with a grandson on the back cuz the rez ain't safe.  JFC.  

My advice to some people on here is never to leave your house, stay in the basement, and have Doordash slide your tendies and cheesy poofs down an armored chute.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#49]
In Pattaya Thailand businesses were shut down for almost 2 years because of Covid.
They were crazy, insane scared of it over here.
Even today I see a few locals wearing dust masks while walking around outside.
The shutdown was especially hard on the locals that depended on tourist business for their livelihoods.
All bars were closed for almost 2 years.
Most of the bars here are open air, meaning basically just a roof little to no walls and open on most sides to walk in traffic.
This is how one such bar was secured, locked up, unoccupied for 2 years.
The bottles of liquor were just inside a cage like a dog crate locked with a cheap padlock.
Notice speakers, flat screen TVs, fans etc are all outside their "secure" wall of tables and chairs.
IMHO in much of Latin America thieves would have made short work of stealing everything including the pool tables and bar tables and stools, even ashtrays and trashcans.
Here nothing was touched as it sat unoccupied.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 12:20:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In Pattaya Thailand businesses were shut down for almost 2 years because of Covid.
They were crazy, insane scared of it over here.
Even today I see a few locals wearing dust masks while walking around outside.
The shutdown was especially hard on the locals that depended on tourist business for their livelihoods.
All bars were closed for almost 2 years.
Most of the bars here are open air, meaning basically just a roof little to no walls and open on most sides to walk in traffic.
This is how one such bar was secured, locked up, unoccupied for 2 years.
The bottles of liquor were just inside a cage like a dog crate locked with a cheap padlock.
Notice speakers, flat screen TVs, fans etc are all outside their "secure" wall of tables and chairs.
IMHO in much of Latin America thieves would have made short work of stealing everything including the pool tables and bar tables and stools, even ashtrays and trashcans.
Here nothing was touched as it sat unoccupied.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/522423/20210602_100417_jpg-1981964.JPG

View Quote
Damn.  So when the bars reopened did they paste a "14 Years Old" sticker on the bottles of 12-year-old Scotch?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top