Quoted:
What is overkill?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering most of the deer killed across the country are probably killed within 150 yards, the 30/30 would be perfectly adequate for most hunters. The rifles and ammo are cheap, cup and core bullets at moderate velocities drop deer like a hammer.

I do laugh at all the assclowns who think they need a 7 Mag or 300 Win Mag for deer though. Especially in area where their shots will rarely exceed a hundred yards.
My cousin shoots a 300 Win Mag, he's never shot a deer over 100 yards.

Most of the time he practically blows the shoulder near the exit wound right to pieces, it's entirely too much gun for hunting around here. I've got to shoot one a few times, we were hitting steel at 300 yards without a problem, cool guns, but definitely overkill.
What is overkill?  
probably, in this context, the loss of too much meat.

Though, I have taken everything from coyotes to elk with my .338 and have not lost any more meat than I would have with, say, my .280.

I like to use all my hunting rifles on varmints. that way I know I can swing, follow through, and hit what I am aiming at with all of them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
My 92 saddlering carbine is a 25-20. Nice pics.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote
I have one in 38 WCF
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No way the 7.62x39 is equivalent to a .30-30 Winchester.

Can it throw a 160 gr bullet to 2400 fps?
View Quote
For medium game like whitetail or pig, they're close enough with similar rainbow-shaped trajectories.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
C Products Defense makes really good 5 round mags for less than $20.00.  Hornady Black is a brass cased SST.  They also make VMax (I think) in steel case.

Classic case of YMMV.  I have had zero feeding issues with CPD mags in my PSA. Its perfect for me for deer/hogs/coyotes out to about 250 yards.
View Quote
Interesting.  I learned something today!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had an eye out for a JM/ Pre Remington Marlin 336/ Glenfield 30A.

Everyone wants $$$ for early Marlins now, and the new ones are garbage.

Local pawn shop has a Glenfield for I think $379 in decent shape.  I'm thinking about FO'ing.  I have some really nice Walnut to put on one and the crappy wood is the only negative on the Glenfield vs the Marlin.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the OP is off the mark. At least a little.

Remington ruined Marlin and people aren't buying, so dealers are probably ordering less, so you're seeing less stock on the shelf. Marlin is also not putting out anywhere near the number of models they once were, despite what their catalog shows.

Subsequently, J.M. marked Marlins have increased rapidly in price and have become collectible overnight. Buyers gobble them up when they hit the shelves and drive many miles to pick one up. Even the cheaper plain Jane models are becoming collectible. Rehab models from pawn shops are being gobbled up as well.

Winchester shipped all of their lever action production to Mirokou of Japan (Browning). While very well made, they're also very expensive. They also have the taint of being foreign made.

Browning makes their excellent BLR rifle and it's readily available. It doesn't look like John Wayne's gun however and people have always been a bit priggish on it.

Henry seems to be making a go of it, but hasn't quite caught on completely. Their tube fed centerfires are perplexing to many.
View Quote
Henry's .30-30 isn't exactly a reasonably priced rifle. The basic blued and walnut model (H009) is almost $700 in most places.

It's weird saying this, but the best new production .30-30 rifle on the market for anyone looking for something practical is the Mossberg 464 SKU 41020. That one is ~$440 new, and it checks most of the right boxes.

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
One small anecdote.

When SKS's became popular, you could always tell when one of the neighbor's was hunting with one.

BOOM!!  BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!!!!!!-----------------------------BOOM!.

Sounded like a wedding in Beiruit.

Good friend of mine hunts hogs with a 7.62x39 AR using plain old Tula FMJ. I typically hunt with a 32-20 or .357 levergun with cast bullets.  We kill the same amount of hogs regardless.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One small anecdote.

When SKS's became popular, you could always tell when one of the neighbor's was hunting with one.

BOOM!!  BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM!!!!!!-----------------------------BOOM!.

Sounded like a wedding in Beiruit.

Good friend of mine hunts hogs with a 7.62x39 AR using plain old Tula FMJ. I typically hunt with a 32-20 or .357 levergun with cast bullets.  We kill the same amount of hogs regardless.
View Quote
People forget the 7.62x39 Tula 154GR SP is an actual hunting bullet and great on deer and hogs. It's not the hard plinking 123GR SP stuff. That's what I use out of my Rusky AR15.

That being said my Winchester 94 30-30 is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Interesting.  I learned something today!
View Quote

That's what its all about.  I learned that same stuff in the "AR Variants" forum.  I was wanting to ditch my AK but I had this ammo fort..so I did some research, signed up for PSAs email alerts and kept watching.  Add a P series mount and a Nikon P300  (ballistics are close enough out to 300 yards or so) and 5 CPD 30 rounders and I have about $700.00 in the rig total.  It works for me.

Still have my Norinco Para though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont sell a ton of 30/30 rifles at work , but always sell a shit load of 30-30 ammo every fall
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Almost 1k for a new winchester 3030. Thats the only new one i would buy new, and thats a lot of money for a outdated design.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dont sell a ton of 30/30 rifles at work , but always sell a shit load of 30-30 ammo every fall
View Quote
Yep.  Follow the ammo sales.  
Guns are durable goods, so gun sales do not reliably approximate the fielded population.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Love mine..  Got 'em in .44 mag, .30-30, 35 Rem and a couple in .22.   I've taken a boat load of game with them. I also have a couple of old Winchesters..  They are pretty popular around here and are getting hard to find. (at least the older ones)
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
There was a time when your lever action was not just a primary hunting rifle but a primary defensive carbine as well.

Yeah, they are losing market share.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There was a time when your lever action was not just a primary hunting rifle but a primary defensive carbine as well.

View Quote
When the hech was that grandpa?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
A lever action is still a nice gun for likely defensive scenarios.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
All the way until the debut of the M1 carbine, I'd argue. My only defensive rifle was a .30-30 Marlin up until I built an AR last spring. I used it on informal run-and-gun courses with buddies, and pretty well matched their ARs provided the round counts were kept realistic (10 rounds per run, give or take).
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup, but I would not want hech to shoot me with one!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Much like Matthew Quigley , I ain’t got much use for one.

And Henry uses a tube vs. a side loading gate, which makes it even more useless.

Hollywood makes them look cool. I will pass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not sure about popularity but my Marlin 336 is my favorite deer hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
My last two lever actions were 45LC's. For Elk and Deer I use an AR-10.

I have been trying to get my friend to sell me his Dad's 1894 25-35, but no luck so far. More than one hundred years old and still accurate with a hair trigger.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]
This may sound stupid - but having never owned a lever action, how safe are they?  The idea of storing ammo with the bullet touching the primer of the round in front of it makes me not want to stumble around in the woods with one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This may sound stupid - but having never owned a lever action, how safe are they?  The idea of storing ammo with the bullet touching the primer of the round in front of it makes me not want to stumble around in the woods with one.
View Quote
There’s a reason lever actions use flat tip or soft polymer tip ammo.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
The first gun I ever shot was my grandpa's pre 64 Model 94.
He drilled safety into my brain. Safety safety safety. Especially with an exposed hammer rifle.

He handed that rifle down to me a few years back so I decided to take it deer hunting.

Loaded up with Core-Lokt and hit the woods.
1st evening sit, big doe walks out about 70 yards down the lane. Gave her a little "merp" and she stopped, put 1 round right in the boiler room. She dropped right there, never even flinched.
I saw a little movement in the woods coming towards the doe. Her fawn from that year came and started sniffing the doe's body. Well, he ended up taking a round too. Dropped right where he stood.

2 for 2 with the ol 30-30. Iron sights for the win!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#26]
My first gun was a Marlin lever action in 22lr I got when I was 8.

I shot my first deer with a Marin 30 30.

They are rarely shot nowadays but I will never part with them.

I prefer bolt guns for hunting and ARs for fun.

Plus many fudds are dying off and the EBR is the new king.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#27]
With modern ammo like Hornady's Leverevolution I think it's brought the 30-30 back out of the gun safe once again.

I can't think of a context where I would ever sell my old 30-30.  I bought mine when I was 13 with $150 I earned by moving yards.

It still has the original Tasco scope on it....that is still zeroed after all these years.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you load spitzer or FMJ rounds into a mag tube....you're gonna have a bad time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Local pawn shop has a Glenfield for I think $379 in decent shape.  I'm thinking about FO'ing.  I have some really nice Walnut to put on one and the crappy wood is the only negative on the Glenfield vs the Marlin.
View Quote
I wish I would have Fo'd when a local pawn shop had them for $250.  Went back and they were nearly $400

Ended up getting one elsewhere for $320
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#30]

.300 Savage in a lever gun was once popular too.  .308 bolt guns did that in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ah. Got it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
In all my years as a guide I have only seen on 30-30 and the guy wanted to kill a turkey with it.

I love 30-30’s good brush guns, but most want.300 Win Mags.m

My 30-30 was bought new in 1978 by my FIL, I killed a few hogs with it.
View Quote
Bullshit.  A .300 Win Mag is borderline for a small deer.  Hogs require a 50 BMG, minimum.

30-30 might suffice for squirrels.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If you load spitzer or FMJ rounds into a mag tube....you're gonna have a bad time.
View Quote
That's only going to happen if somebody is stupid enough to reload a 30-30 with those type of bullets. And then only if they forget to treat it as a single shot and load some in the tube magazine. At that point karma takes over.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#34]
dupe
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only exceptions would be the Remington 14 and 141, which had a spiral magazine tube that would offset the tips of the rounds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Gun rags have told us we need uber ultimate nuclear deer blaster cannons to shoot whitetails with. When the 30/30 came out it is said a lot of hunters thought it was a bit much for deer more of an elk cartridge. The number of guys using magnums is something. When they lose a deer to poor shot placement the cure is to move up the power. I have a friend that used a 270 for years and decided he needed more power. Weatherby 270 mag I believe. Afew years later he went back to 270 win. I asked why. He said all that magnum did for his was help develope a nice flinch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Plenty of pre-Remington Marlin 336's in pawnshops. Everyone should own one.
View Quote
Last one I bought was a Marlin 336 .30-30 Rifle (Actual real deal Marlin, not a Remlin) - $ 250

If you peak in my safes you'll see my .30-30s

I have two Winchester Ranger 1894s (one with and one without the safety) in .30-30, a Marlin 336 in .30-30, a Winchester 1894 in .32 Winchester Special, two Henry .22LR rifles, a Browning BLR in .308, a Marlin 39A in .22LR, a Marlin 1895G in .45-70, and a Marlin 1894 CSS in .357 Mag.

The day of the Lever Action as the poor man's hunting gun is over.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Pretty much this. When 7.62x39 and others give similar performance in a much more useful package, the days of the .30-30 are numbered. Same thing with lever actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never was all that interested in them.

No real interesting history (family stories excluded), and there are better guns for hunting today.
Pretty much this. When 7.62x39 and others give similar performance in a much more useful package, the days of the .30-30 are numbered. Same thing with lever actions.
My CZ 527M does what my Winchester does with better accuracy and cheaper ammo. Now that Ruger as an American in it.... .30-30 will really fall by the wayside.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Henry's .308 is the future of lever guns in every way.  The action is insanely smooth. Quality is awesome. And .308 cased ammo is all the rage.
View Quote
I want one in .223
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Ever since John Wayne died.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Like others have posted, I think the good old 30-30 is on borrowed time. I'm sure they will always be with us, for those hunters with a sense of nostalgia and tradition. And they do perform very well for what they do.

But while lever actions have gone up in price, there are now an awful lot of decent quality bolt actions in the $300 to $400 range with a level of accuracy that would have been considered a target rifle 25 years ago.

I do like my lever guns, and can work an action pretty quick on my Marlin 357. It surprises guys at the range when I am easily ringing the 100 yard steel. But bolt guns and ARs have become less expensive, and they will definitely put a dent in 30-30 levers popularity. You can still get single action revolvers today, they just are not as prolific as the polymer 9mms , for example.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Old ones are appreciating in value, new ones generally aren’t very good, and those budget bolt guns you talk about offer better bang for buck for the people that are looking for tool for a job.

Most standard short action rifle cartridges outperform .30-30, and you get a rifle that’s easy to mount a scope to.
View Quote
This.

The market is changing. The old guard of Fudds is slowly dying off, as is the guy who only has one rifle and one shotgun in the house for hunting.

Today’s gun owner is a lot more comfortable using his AR or AK to drop a doe, so why limit yourself to fewer rounds or slower follow-up shots unless there is something to be gained...which would be accuracy...which is where the newer generation affordable but accurate bolt guns come in.

So the lever gun is slowly getting crushed between the hammer and anvil of semi-auto sporters and bolt guns. Lever guns are the El Camino of the gun world.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Still one of the top sellers of ammo components and reloading equipment. New ones by marlin are crap, new japchesters are overpriced, and there's a hell of a lot of older serviceable ones circulation on the used market. They might not be as popular as they once were pre ww2, but overall and overwhelmingly in certain areas there are still a lot of them. I have scads of boltguns, semi, etc. Still carry my old levers in the brush more often than not. CHoice between a scoped HV bolt gun and an open sighted straight grip lever in the brush <100 yards I usually end up taking the lever because it has seemed to work better for me. I never had a deer complain about getting hit with the .30-30, they just end up dying right there.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
C Products Defense makes really good 5 round mags for less than $20.00.  Hornady Black is a brass cased SST.  They also make VMax (I think) in steel case.

Classic case of YMMV.  I have had zero feeding issues with CPD mags in my PSA. Its perfect for me for deer/hogs/coyotes out to about 250 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have to disagree with this. Round taper issues aside, 7.62x39 ARs mags are oddball, and I've only ever seen 30 rounders, so you are stuck modifying mags to comply with many state hunting laws. I agree the round is nice ballistic equivalent with .30-30, but proper soft point hunting ammo is much more scarce.  Ergonomically, I'd much rather have a sleek profile lever gun in the brush over an caliber conversion AR with all its pointy proturbances.

If I had to go with 7.62x39, I'd go with an SKS.

Works great with the cheap ammo like this.

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They get a lot of hate for some reason.

They are one of the best deer rifles you can buy though if you are shooting under 200 yards.
View Quote
Define best.

Magazine capacity?
Accuracy?
Speed of follow-up shots?
Terminal performance?
External ballistics?
Rifle weight?
Ammo weight?
Ease of optics mounting?
Ammo selection?
Trigger pull?

There’s nothing wrong with using one. But if I were starting from scratch and wanted to acquire a deer-capable rifle, there’s no way I would limit myself to a lever-gun. There are too many other more versatile designs out there that out class the lever gun in most of those qualities.

In this day and age, I think lever guns are clearly relegated to the fun gun niche. I’ll snatch one up if the deal is right just to expand my collection, but it isn’t like i’m ever looking through the gun safe and find myself saying “I really need a lever gun for this application”. It’s been rendered obsolete.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I love my Marlin 336. It's my main deer gun. It's light and powerful enough to do the job.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Another one to look for is the 30GT, straight gripped Glenfield “Texan”.

This Western Field Marlin is my last remaining 30-30

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Guns are durable goods, so gun sales do not reliably approximate the fielded population.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eventually the ammo companies suspend production of ammo for guns that haven't been made in a while.

Look at .30 Carbine
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Eventually the ammo companies suspend production of ammo for guns that haven't been made in a while.

Look at .30 Carbine
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at .30 Carbine
Did people stop shooting .30 carbine because ammo started getting scarce, or did production stop because there was no appreciable demand?
Ammo sales should reflect high usage.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top