Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Link Posted: 10/12/2018 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your can cannon has a pin welded in the "barrel" that prevents a live round from going in
View Quote
Yeah, I know. I just wanted a triple-layer safety for taking some of my friends and family who are unfamiliar with guns out for an afternoon of fun with the blooper. Obvious things like big blue magazines that demonstratively can't physically fit a live round into them tend to convince the more timid folks to relax a bit and get more comfortable with guns in general. I've already converted one friend into a gun guy by starting him off with a single-shot .22lr from the 50's and my can launcher - and now he's buying his own AR15.

For now I just use a transparent 20 round magazine with a discolored floorplate. But I'd like a dedicated blank magazine that I don't feel bad about painting blue and just tossing in the ammo can with my M200's.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
You can make your own if needed. Takes a little time.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:58:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I might do that. Adding a block seems pretty trivial but I'm not sure where to start on the follower - most of them index off the front ribs, which I figure would hinder feeding once cut off to pass the block. I'll study a few of my mags to see if any of the followers might function well with a snipped front end.

But often times these things tend to just be easier to buy from someone who makes them professionally, which is why I was curious if anyone here has sourced any.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can make your own if needed. Takes a little time.
View Quote
Make your own what? You've caught my interest
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Update:

I have yet to receive my package from F5. I have sent the owner a email he did respond that it had shipped. It’s been over a week since I placed my order with no proof of shipping or receiving the order. Owner said he was looking into it on Tuesday and haven’t heard back from him since then.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, I might do that. Adding a block seems pretty trivial but I'm not sure where to start on the follower - most of them index off the front ribs, which I figure would hinder feeding once cut off to pass the block. I'll study a few of my mags to see if any of the followers might function well with a snipped front end.

But often times these things tend to just be easier to buy from someone who makes them professionally, which is why I was curious if anyone here has sourced any.
View Quote
Blank-only magazines were discussed and linked earlier in the thread - I’m on my phone now but I know I posted the ones I got.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Update:

I have yet to receive my package from F5. I have sent the owner a email he did respond that it had shipped. It’s been over a week since I placed my order with no proof of shipping or receiving the order. Owner said he was looking into it on Tuesday and haven’t heard back from him since then.
View Quote
Jeff is a good dude

I never got notification of my shipping either and it showed up in about a week

Just be patient
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm curious too. If you mount it on the upper receiver as far forward as possible, then use the sight/front of the tube, I'm wondering what the angle is gonna be...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's my plan. My sight delivered today, tiny, rust spot on one of the mounting screw nuts. It looks way better than the auction picture..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/39247/15391449151065121804836006400302-700161.JPG
Looks good! How is aiming? Do you think it will be adequate to use by indexing off the front of the launch tube, or will you need a riser of some sort to get the right angle? I am considering getting one of these to aid in consistent aiming as well as because they look so cool. But I do want to make sure it will work.
I'm curious too. If you mount it on the upper receiver as far forward as possible, then use the sight/front of the tube, I'm wondering what the angle is gonna be...
The sight works ok...

It's good for about 80yds max. this was using my blank loads.I forgot to grab some m200 blanks, it may be good for a bit more range using these. I'll try and get out again tomorrow and try some.

I have the sight as far forward as it will go on the upper, I'm getting 35ish degrees of angle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I know. I just wanted a triple-layer safety for taking some of my friends and family who are unfamiliar with guns out for an afternoon of fun with the blooper. Obvious things like big blue magazines that demonstratively can't physically fit a live round into them tend to convince the more timid folks to relax a bit and get more comfortable with guns in general. I've already converted one friend into a gun guy by starting him off with a single-shot .22lr from the 50's and my can launcher - and now he's buying his own AR15.

For now I just use a transparent 20 round magazine with a discolored floorplate. But I'd like a dedicated blank magazine that I don't feel bad about painting blue and just tossing in the ammo can with my M200's.
View Quote
To be honest, someone whose unfamiliar with firearms isn’t gonna notice the difference between a normal mag and one with a block in it

I would just get a brightly colored mag and teach them the difference

I don’t have any mags with 5.56 in the area when we pull out the can cannon so that mistake will likely never happen
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The sight works ok...

It's good for about 80yds max. this was using my blank loads.I forgot to grab some m200 blanks, it may be good for a bit more range using these. I'll try and get out again tomorrow and try some.

I have the sight as far forward as it will go on the upper, I'm getting 35ish degrees of angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's my plan. My sight delivered today, tiny, rust spot on one of the mounting screw nuts. It looks way better than the auction picture..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/39247/15391449151065121804836006400302-700161.JPG
Looks good! How is aiming? Do you think it will be adequate to use by indexing off the front of the launch tube, or will you need a riser of some sort to get the right angle? I am considering getting one of these to aid in consistent aiming as well as because they look so cool. But I do want to make sure it will work.
The sight works ok...

I'm wondering if a riser would get the sight higher, giving s better angle??  Moving the sight forward and rearward to get the right angle.  But what's the optimum angle for distance but still be able to use the sights/tube?

More research is needed....
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if a riser would get the sight higher, giving s better angle??  Moving the sight forward and rearward to get the right angle.  But what's the optimum angle for distance but still be able to use the sights/tube?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The sight works ok...

I was just tinkering with a riser! I happen to have a 1/2" riser. Looks like it gets the angle closer to 45 degrees. I think, this will be near perfect....

So tomorrows experiments will be M200 blanks, no riser. My blanks and M200 with the riser. I'm also taking 6oz and 12oz cans this time. First time out, all I took were 6oz.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was just tinkering with a riser! I happen to have a 1/2" riser. Looks like it gets the angle closer to 45 degrees. I think, this will be near perfect....

So tomorrows experiments will be M200 blanks, no riser. My blanks and M200 with the riser. I'm also taking 6oz and 12oz cans this time. First time out, all I took were 6oz.
View Quote
I wonder if flipping the ladder sight backwards might let you get a little more angle out of it as well? It would essentially move the vertical leaf closer to the muzzle which would make the aiming angle slightly higher. When it's on the "correct" way, the leaf flips back. If it were on backwards, the leaf would flip forward and be right at the base of the launch tube.

I think I'm going to order a surplus ladder sight tonight so I can play around with it...
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
They lit grenades and launched them out of these.

Attachment Attached File

Sold out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Blank-only magazines were discussed and linked earlier in the thread - I’m on my phone now but I know I posted the ones I got.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's what I got when rsolomon posted about them and they work great.

Blue Blank Mags
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Blue Blank Mags
View Quote
Those work well? I was wary of if those would still allow the function of M200 blanks, as they appeared to be designed with that super specialty marker training rounds in mind. If you say they work with M200's then I'll grab one to keep with my blanks and can launcher. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Those work well? I was wary of if those would still allow the function of M200 blanks, as they appeared to be designed with that super specialty marker training rounds in mind. If you say they work with M200's then I'll grab one to keep with my blanks and can launcher. Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue Blank Mags
I've ran 80 blanks through them with ZERO issues.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Jeff is a good dude

I never got notification of my shipping either and it showed up in about a week

Just be patient
View Quote
It’s been over a week with my order. He said he looked into it on Tuesday and would get back with me with a tracking number. I never heard back from him until today. Sent him a email last night inquiring about it again. Said his software provider  could not locate it and he would be shipping me another overnight at his expense. I guess if the other ever shows up I will send him some more cash or mail it back. I think I can sale it easy.

Will post pics when I get it.

Also when I spoke to x Products at the IV8888 YT shoot he spoke about how his design was stronger than the F5. Got to looking at some older x Products launchers on YT and at knob creek and they are exactly the same as F5. I guess F5 holds the patten on the original design and they had to figure out a new way to build a can cannon. There Barrel nut plate is press fit into the tube were as the F5 looks to be threaded and pinned into place.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Blue Blank Mags
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blue Blank Mags
Thanks BadMonk - yep, those are the ones - working great with standard blanks for me as well.  I think you probably could single-load them with a live round, but I didn't try it, definitely wouldn't be able to depress it into the body, but I remember looking at it and wondering if maybe a single live round would actually fit...
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I was not as lucky on the eBay sight. I might have even gotten the exact one in the pic.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Blue Blank Mags
View Quote
Shipping is the bugger on those, but I bought one...
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was not as lucky on the eBay sight. I might have even gotten the exact one in the pic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/IMG_3361_PNG-706911.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2158/IMG_3357_JPG-706294.JPG
View Quote
Wow that does look like the exact one from the pic, which was probably the worst condition of the lot as that's usually how sellers do it. Luck of the draw I guess. I wouldn't worry too much though - surface rust like that should be pretty easy to scrape off with some CLP and a nylon brush.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Id hit it with some steel wool and brake cleaner then spray paint it.

UPDATE ON MY ORDER:

I spoke to F5 on Saturday and he said he would air mail it Monday. I assumed he meant 2 day air or something similar. NO he freaking next day air mailed my upper to me. Left Vancouver WA yesterday at noon and should be delivered at the house here in GA by the end of the day. Fedex can ship fast when they want too!

I appreciate F5 going the extra mile on the shipping. I think there online sales software is garbage and caused this issue to start with. Not F5s fault.

Will keep everyone posted when I receive it.

Bought the combo upper Golf ball & Can plus a bag of blanks. I sure hope the blanks are in the box because I am going to shoot this bad boy today.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Let us know how the golf ball launcher works - I'm considering upgrading. I'm especially curious how much damage the golf balls take from launching. The classic screw-on-muzzle golf ball launchers leave a nice crater after each shot. But if this thing has an expansion chamber for the gas to slowly accelerate the golf ball instead of shooting it with a stream of hot gas, it might be much gentler and allow for a lot more recycling of the golf balls.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let us know how the golf ball launcher works - I'm considering upgrading. I'm especially curious how much damage the golf balls take from launching. The classic screw-on-muzzle golf ball launchers leave a nice crater after each shot. But if this thing has an expansion chamber for the gas to slowly accelerate the golf ball instead of shooting it with a stream of hot gas, it might be much gentler and allow for a lot more recycling of the golf balls.
View Quote
I plan on running them over my chrono and getting some numbers on both the cans and golf balls. Hope to find some mini cans as well. Should be interesting.

Yall check my math but I am figuring up 5480Gr as the weight on a full 12oz coke can.

The Golf ball is 708Gr.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I plan on running them over my chrono and getting some numbers on both the cans and golf balls. Hope to find some mini cans as well. Should be interesting.
View Quote
Keep us posted. I might order one when I get paid tomorrow.

Should I call to order instead of going online?
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Keep us posted. I might order one when I get paid tomorrow.

Should I call to order instead of going online?
View Quote
I would he said that his software company showed that my upper shipped. It would have been 2 weeks ago this coming Wednesday and never received a tracking number. But he said it shows "shipped" I dont believe it did.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Well guys it arrived at my home within 24hrs but he sent me the wrong dang upper. Also missing the blanks I ordered from them as well. This sucks. I purchased the can/golf ball version. O well.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Update:

The owner of F5 just called me and apologized to me. Said he couldn’t air mail the blanks but the the golf ball adopter not being included was a mix up on there end and he said he was sorry. He was very nice and vowed to make everything right. Said he would mail out my golf ball adapter and blanks today. FedEx ground is 5 days so just waiting on it to arrive at this point.

After speaking to Jeff I have no worries about F5 and really appreciate them going the extra mile to get me my launcher in time for a HTF shoot not this weekend but next. Seems to be a great guy.

He also hooked me up with some stickers and discount codes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Update:

The owner of F5 just called me and apologized to me. Said he couldn’t air mail the blanks but the the golf ball adopter not being included was a mix up on there end and he said he was sorry. He was very nice and vowed to make everything right. Said he would mail out my golf ball adapter and blanks today. FedEx ground is 5 days so just waiting on it to arrive at this point.

After speaking to Jeff I have no worries about F5 and really appreciate them going the extra mile to get me my launcher in time for a HTF shoot not this weekend but next. Seems to be a great guy.

View Quote
Sounds like a good dude. Good to hear! Now go buy some sodas
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote
He's good people
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah I just had me and the daughter so pumped to shoot it this week. Wish a shop local to me had some blanks.

I reload and have 2-3K of 556 brass just no crimp die.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#33]
That sucks about the wrong shipment. But I'm sure Jeff will make up for it. Once it's in hand and you guys are bloopin' cans all over the yard you'll see it was worth the wait.

Seriously I can't wait to go out with it next. Right now I'm more excited to shoot the can launcher than my silenced MP5!
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#34]
$690

http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/Hand-Mortar.html

What the hell can you fire out of a 2.5" bore? Too small for pop cans and tennis balls.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Forgot to post this video of the harpoon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok. Things kinda got out of hand.

Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnSZ1ZBZRXw
View Quote
I'm gonna need some more pics of that bad boy.

I need a fuckin cigarette now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
That’s awesome. I was at the shoot and noticed on a few occasions a steady stream of cans going down range. That’s awesome. I took the screen grab and then I realized that it looks very familiar. Then I found your post on the previous page. I thought you were building a self blank loader. This is much much cooler.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy shit man! You made a magazine and pump-action cocker for the can launcher? That is amazing! Please give us some detailed pics and/or video!?
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You, sir, are a genius. An evil genius, maybe, but a genius, nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Holy mother of god! That is the most ghetto-fabulous thing I have ever seen!
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You, sir, are a genius. An evil genius, maybe, but a genius, nonetheless.
View Quote
I would be willing to go as far as saying he is a magical genius.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That’s awesome. I was at the shoot and noticed on a few occasions a steady stream of cans going down range. That’s awesome. I took the screen grab and then I realized that it looks very familiar. Then I found your post on the previous page. I thought you were building a self blank loader. This is much much cooler.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/47625F05-BF40-41FA-BD4E-313D01C9F3D8_jpeg-707946.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/424008/47625F05-BF40-41FA-BD4E-313D01C9F3D8_jpeg-707946.JPG
I was! But...

I make no apologies.

It truth the thing was stupid heavy and hard to cycle. We ended up taking it off and just using the pump for the blanks, and that was still a lot more fun than the charging handle.

Fun, but it needs some work.  As one of the other shooters said "Sometimes you just need to put down the welder."
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:20:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was! But...

I make no apologies.

It truth the thing was stupid heavy and hard to cycle. We ended up taking it off and just using the pump for the blanks, and that was still a lot more fun than the charging handle.

Fun, but it needs some work.  As one of the other shooters said "Sometimes you just need to put down the welder."
View Quote
Well I think your overall design is very cool and I think your on to something with it.

The question I have is how short can you cut back the can cannon and still get some range and shorting the over all length of your design. And if your design could be made out of polymer could lighten the load more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 10:50:44 AM EDT
[#45]
That awesome contraption makes me think of the ballistas and flame throwers at the refinery in The Road Warrior.
Almost Steam Punkish.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:23:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this!^^^^^^^^^^^

That’s badass!
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
D@mn that might be the exact one.  Mine just had a little surface rust, I soaked it in some 3-in-1 oil for an our and wiped most of it off. I hit one area with a steel wool pad and it cleaned up really nice.  Hope yours cleans up for you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

D@mn that might be the exact one.  Mine just had a little surface rust, I soaked it in some 3-in-1 oil for an our and wiped most of it off. I hit one area with a steel wool pad and it cleaned up really nice.  Hope yours cleans up for you.
View Quote
Yeah, I looked for the ebay listing last night and when I seen it I was like, yep thats it. lol

I think It will clean up.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Anyone know what the best way to contact F5? I sent them an email with some questions and haven't heard back in a few days. I might just take the plunge and order from the site. I just didn't want to end up with a shipping SNAFU.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Anyone know what the best way to contact F5? I sent them an email with some questions and haven't heard back in a few days. I might just take the plunge and order from the site. I just didn't want to end up with a shipping SNAFU.
View Quote
Did you email him directly or through a contact form on his website? It sounds like his website provider might be on the fritz. If email doesn't work you could try contacting him on reddit - he hasn't posted in a month so It might be a longshot though. Username marcusnonious.
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top