Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 25
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but I can't find it now...

What's the optimum angle for max distance?
I assume the optimum angle is generally the same for all barrel lengths and all ammo/blank combinations. (?)

If configuration does matter for the optimum angle, I have the following possible combinations available:
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + M200 Blank + 12oz or 16oz Can
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + Golf 1 Blank + 12oz or 16oz Can
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + L.A.M. Blank + 16oz Can
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + M193 Blank + Tennis Balls

I'm going to take an old Primary Arms MD-09 Micro Dot sight I've got sitting around and mount it atop my can launcher receiver and then I want to modify a cheap picatinny riser mount to have the optimum angle built in. I'm going to cut the riser in half and machine an angled spacer to reassemble into the riser. I know the sight will be looking through the barrel, but it should allow for both-eyes-open aiming to paint the dot on the target. I've already got the mincro dot sitting around unused and the riser is $10 on ebay... hopefully the recoil doesn't murder the budget red dot
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know it was posted earlier in the thread, but I can't find it now...

What's the optimum angle for max distance?
I assume the optimum angle is generally the same for all barrel lengths and all ammo/blank combinations. (?)

If configuration does matter for the optimum angle, I have the following possible combinations available:
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + M200 Blank + 12oz or 16oz Can
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + Golf 1 Blank + 12oz or 16oz Can
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + L.A.M. Blank + 16oz Can
Original barrel stub style 11" launcher + M193 Blank + Tennis Balls

I'm going to take an old Primary Arms MD-09 Micro Dot sight I've got sitting around and mount it atop my can launcher receiver and then I want to modify a cheap picatinny riser mount to have the optimum angle built in. I'm going to cut the riser in half and machine an angled spacer to reassemble into the riser. I know the sight will be looking through the barrel, but it should allow for both-eyes-open aiming to paint the dot on the target. I've already got the mincro dot sitting around unused and the riser is $10 on ebay... hopefully the recoil doesn't murder the budget red dot
View Quote
I reversed my leaf sight to get more angle (pic on page 24).  I still don’t think it’s enough to max out the range and I’m still sighting off of the top of the tube. Thinking abt swapping to to one of the carry handle sights as they seem to be easier to use.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Hha optimizer mount
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I reversed my leaf sight to get more angle (pic on page 24).  I still don’t think it’s enough to max out the range and I’m still sighting off of the top of the tube. Thinking abt swapping to to one of the carry handle sights as they seem to be easier to use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a leaf sight... it's no where near optimum or usable. I actually bought a shotgun bead sight to tap into the top of the muzzle end of the launch tube and sort of use as  front sight post for the leaf sight, but the angle is still very shallow so I'm not going to bother keep messing with the M203 leaf sight. The leaf sight needs a significant riser to be usable anywhere near max range... so I might as well machine an angled riser and put a cheap red dot on it.

A) that looks crazy. I'm not even sure how I'd mount that to my BCA Side Charging upper receiver.

B) It looks like it hangs off the side and I dont want anything hanging over the side of my gun. Otherwise I'd get a quadrant sight and be done with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

I prefer the quadrant sight
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a leaf sight... it's no where near optimum or usable. I actually bought a shotgun bead sight to tap into the top of the muzzle end of the launch tube and sort of use as  front sight post for the leaf sight, but the angle is still very shallow so I'm not going to bother keep messing with the M203 leaf sight. The leaf sight needs a significant riser to be usable anywhere near max range... so I might as well machine an angled riser and put a cheap red dot on it.

A) that looks crazy. I'm not even sure how I'd mount that to my BCA Side Charging upper receiver.

B) It looks like it hangs off the side and I dont want anything hanging over the side of my gun. Otherwise I'd get a quadrant sight and be done with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

I’m using a riser already and still don’t think it’s tall enough.. (use the line on the table as a guide fur the angle)
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 8:51:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I really want to get a cosine angle indicator and relabel one of the scales for distance instead of cosine, but I'm not dropping $180 on one just to mark it up.

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the optimizers are designed for bow mounting. The pic rail mount ones don't have enough declination for grenading

i hope that the air softers clone this
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#9]
These look modifiable to launch cans

Link Posted: 12/31/2018 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Me too.  I found a NOS on ebay for $40.  Good enough for me!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Any of you needing blanks I suggest you look at Atlantic Wall Blanks again.

The code they gave us had expired on the 31st so I emailed them asking if they might renew it.

Discount code ARF is good again through June 30th, 2019.  15% OFF your first order.

Right now they're running a sale on some blanks and they're letting the code stack with the sale.  Damn fine customer service.

Edit: I was told in the email that they will not be full staffed for a few more days due to the holidays so please be patient if you order.  Give them a little leeway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone care to share their blank reloading data with me. Planning on buying some dies this week.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone care to share their blank reloading data with me. Planning on buying some dies this week.
View Quote
I've been thinking of doing the same especially since I just ordered one of the launchers with the golf ball tube.   You buying the CH4D dies or the Hornady dies?
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've been thinking of doing the same especially since I just ordered one of the launchers with the golf ball tube.   You buying the CH4D dies or the Hornady dies?
View Quote
Hornady dies. On eBay for $90 something. Hoping to find a 15% off coupon
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Archived blank loading thread...

Wish I’d have caught and bumped it before it got archived.

I bought the Hornady blank dies, but haven’t had time to mess with them.  Other stuff came up and I‘ve had to shelve the can cannon stuff for now.  I’ll get back to it eventually though.
Page / 25
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top