Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Games are going to be $99 each.  Fuck that!!

I don't know many people willing to pay $99 for console games.

I doubt that's true.

Go to amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Light-Xbox-One/dp/B00D2ZK2MQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_vg_12

That means nothing.

Amazon had the xbox one listed as $1k.

That's just a placeholder price.

Pretty much why I'm out of the conversation for a while.  

This is about the wailing and gnashing of teeth vs common sense.  

we will see what the pre-orders bring.  Should be interesting.

SNE has e3 to lose.  If they push Vita or kids games too much, it's going to knock the shine the haters are adding by massaging SNE PR right now.

Hopefully SNe will have something bright and shiny from Squeenix.  They need a push badly.  Killzone isn't going to cut it.

I want to hear about their DRM.

I know it's very likely they'll have similar restrictive policies, but I'm holding out hope...

I doubt mommy or little Timmy is going to care about DRM.

I bet preorders will be decent.

The DRM sucks...I'll admit that.  

Your not required to have internet acces to use your X1, but if your X1 can't connect to XBL at least once in 24 hours, it will lock you out of your games.  Everything else will work though.

If your signed into a friends x1, it requires to check XBL once an hour.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

Go to amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dying-Light-Xbox-One/dp/B00D2ZK2MQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_vg_12

That means nothing.

Amazon had the xbox one listed as $1k.

That's just a placeholder price.

Pretty much why I'm out of the conversation for a while.  

This is about the wailing and gnashing of teeth vs common sense.  

we will see what the pre-orders bring.  Should be interesting.

SNE has e3 to lose.  If they push Vita or kids games too much, it's going to knock the shine the haters are adding by massaging SNE PR right now.

Hopefully SNe will have something bright and shiny from Squeenix.  They need a push badly.  Killzone isn't going to cut it.

I want to hear about their DRM.

I know it's very likely they'll have similar restrictive policies, but I'm holding out hope...

I doubt mommy or little Timmy is going to care about DRM.

I bet preorders will be decent.

Little Timmy will.  He's been the bread and butter of the used game market.

Bu that's been such a recent development that it was bound to die.

When I was a kid, they sold atari games at Tom Thumb and some gas stations.  We'de pick them up on deep discount when they tried to dump brick and mortar inventory.

You'll see something of a return to that model (just my speculation here) with a moderate discount for digital.  MSFT makes more money of digital coming and going.  Patch pricing and the ability to market on Steams model does nothing but up their revenue stream off existing and future games.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So are they going to pay me $450 to allow it shelf space in my entertainment center.   Hmmm that's not enough.  Literally the worst move in game consoles ever.  They just threw the finger at all potential customers.  Microsoft is in desperate need of new leadership.  They don't seem to have a clue what anyone wants.  They didn't have to do much to slam dunk this console but instead they look like retarded spider monkeys trying to f a cactus.

If you take into consideration of the ammount of people who use thier xbox for Netflix alone...you can understand why they went the route that they did.  It's a great all around system.  You can entertain the kids with games and when they go off to bed...you get to watch movies and what not.  They are trying to balance it out and make it a center point of your entertainment system.  With this thought in mind, they are doing a great job.

A $59 Roku 2 does Netflix better. And uses much less power, with no fans. It can also do Aereo, which the xbox will not.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]

...snip

Your not required to have internet acces to use your X1, but if your X1 can't connect to XBL at least once in 24 hours, it will lock you out of your games.  Everything else will work though.

That's the only part that makes me go googly eyed.

It's mostly anti piracy and part anti cheat.  If they spun it as an anti cheating measure properly they could have owned the negative spin.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
that is about what i expected.  Little high but I'm not shocked

$499 was my guess all along.

Someone owes me a team membership.

I was expecting $500-$600 minimum.

I'm thinking the PS4 will be even less expensive...

I'm not confident enough to bet on it, though.

They might price it the same.

I read rumors of sub $400 range for PS4,  but they are just that.  Rumors.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
For those interested, you can already preorder on Amazon.  Personally, I'm going to pass
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...snip

It's mostly anti piracy and part anti cheat.  If they spun it as an anti cheating measure properly they could have owned the negative spin.

Anti-Cheating for single player?

It's a required feature if you think about it. (not anti-cheating, but the phone home process)

The games are installed on your HDD and don't require a disk.

If you didn't have the check, you could just unplug your internet and loan the game to your friends, and they could do the same.

The easy solution would be the same as the current system... Require the disk.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I put off buying an Xbox all these years.  I am looking to buy this one.  It looks interesting....more than just a console though I would primarily buy it for gaming.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#10]
The whole point of the XBOX was to use the model of "console" gaming.

With this level of DRM, including installing all the apps to your machine or your cloud or whatever the fuck, you may as well be on Steam using the PC.

Also, some of the shit is weird and creepy in the era of the NSA disclosures:  You can disable Kinect in-game, but the system cease to function if  you unplug it?   WTF? WHY?

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

With this level of DRM, including installing all the apps to your machine or your cloud or whatever the fuck, you may as well be on Steam using the PC.

Also, some of the shit is weird and creepy in the era of the NSA disclosures:  You can disable Kinect in-game, but the system cease to function if  you unplug it?   WTF? WHY?

There's no longer a benefit to consoles, aside from exclusives.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:12:54 AM EDT
[#12]
meh PS4 and master race it is I guess
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

Sounds like the NEO-GEO. I remember it coming out and blown away by the graphics. Imagine N64 graphics but right when the SNES came out. The system was by far the best system out but the price of the console $650 at that time in 1991, some games were $300. There is a reason why neo-geo is not a household name. I only knew one kid who ever owned one and his parents were exorbitantly rich.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...snip

It's a required feature if you think about it. (not anti-cheating, but the phone home process)

If you didn't have the check, you could just unplug your internet and loan the game to your friends, and they could do the same.

Works for disks to a point.  The daily check is partly to check for modded xboxes and unauthorized digital property most likely.

Not sure if you remember the time about 4 years ago they banned thousands of modded consoles in one fell swoop.  I think they are still dealing with that and it's become a bit draconian.

If MSFT came out and showed the squirt that was being used to hack the living hell out of bf4, they could have spun the checks as a good thing.  That's what I'm saying.

Instead, they are glossing over some of the larger issues without addressing them.  It's the Reed Hastings form of PR announcements.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#15]
XBOX One the next generation console.....muuuu huuu haaaaa haaaaa haaaaa.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

Sounds like the NEO-GEO. I remember it coming out and blown away by the graphics. Imagine N64 graphics but right when the SNES came out. The system was by far the best system out but the price of the console $650 at that time in 1991, some games were $300. There is a reason why neo-geo is not a household name. I only knew one kid who ever owned one and his parents were exorbitantly rich.  

I didn't know my neo geo cost that much.

I didn't even play it.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not worth it for government snooping. Microsoft should be trying to pay me money to take the thing.

Thread has reached full derp.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

3DO.

Same issue.  Retailed for 2-3k.  I bought mine after winning big on blackjack in Vegas as a 16 year old.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

I didn't even play it.

its true, neo-geo and the games especially were crazy expensive. I think the average title cost $200 and that was in early to mid 90s money
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

I didn't even play it.

The cartridge one was the expensive one the cd one not so much.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that's true.

I didn't even play it.

its true, neo-geo and the games especially were crazy expensive. I think the average title cost $200 and that was in early to mid 90s money

My dad must have been rich.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who even bothers with physical media for movies these days?  

No idea.

Maybe those of us who like the "first sale" doctrine and fought like crazy to kill the original DIVX concept.

Go in eBay and search for NES or SNES or N64.  Or even 5200, 2600, or Colecovision.

Now realize that that entire, vibrant market of older systems and games completely disappears for a market where the "phone home" function could go away.

IN fact, go look up the Digital Video Express debacle here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

Once the home base disappeared, those videos were dead.

One XBOX is on the XBOX (whatevahdafuqdanextgenwillbe) they'll stop supporting this one.  Boom, all the games die, you have to buy a new XBOX.. .fuck taht.

As for movies:   Take your $275  a year spent on Netflix, HULU, and Amazon Prime.   100 movies on Redbox.    Buy 10 to 15 discs depending on what you find on sale in the bin at Walmart.  You now OWN those movies and can watch them whenver you want, even if Netflix, Hulu or AP lose their distro contracts with the studios.    You bought the movie and paid for the first sale.   You can now give those discs as gifts, you can sell them on craigslist, you can exercise your rights as the first purchaser without the publisher picking your pocket again and again.

I think XBONE will be the death of the console platform, especially if Sony is dumb enough to follow suit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

...snip

Works for disks to a point.  The daily check is partly to check for modded xboxes and unauthorized digital property most likely.  

Not sure if you remember the time about 4 years ago they banned thousands of modded consoles in one fell swoop.  I think they are still dealing with that and it's become a bit draconian.

If MSFT came out and showed the squirt that was being used to hack the living hell out of bf4, they could have spun the checks as a good thing.  That's what I'm saying.

Instead, they are glossing over some of the larger issues without addressing them.  It's the Reed Hastings form of PR announcements.

That wouldn't make sense for single player games, though.

That's the main issue... Your single player content will not function if you aren't connected to the internet.

No more taking your console to the cabin.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn. I wish it was a little more reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not worth it for government snooping. Microsoft should be trying to pay me money to take the thing.

Are you on a laptop?

If so does it have a web cam?

Did you know that it can be accessed without you knowing?

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who even bothers with physical media for movies these days?  

No idea.

Maybe those of us who like the "first sale" doctrine and fought like crazy to kill the original DIVX concept.

Go in eBay and search for NES or SNES or N64.  Or even 5200, 2600, or Colecovision.

Now realize that that entire, vibrant market of older systems and games completely disappears for a market where the "phone home" function could go away.

IN fact, go look up the Digital Video Express debacle here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

One XBOX is on the XBOX (whatevahdafuqdanextgenwillbe) they'll stop supporting this one.  Boom, all the games die, you have to buy a new XBOX.. .fuck taht.

As for movies:   Take your $275  a year spent on Netflix, HULU, and Amazon Prime.   100 movies on Redbox.    Buy 10 to 15 discs depending on what you find on sale in the bin at Walmart.  You now OWN those movies and can watch them whenver you want, even if Netflix, Hulu or AP lose their distro contracts with the studios.    You bought the movie and paid for the first sale.   You can now give those discs as gifts, you can sell them on craigslist, you can exercise your rights as the first purchaser without the publisher picking your pocket again and again.

I think XBONE will be the death of the console platform, especially if Sony is dumb enough to follow suit.

I'm pretty sure Sony will be forced to follow suit.

It will be publisher mandated.

Plus, sony isn't our friend.

They sued Geohot into oblivion. At least they paid a price...
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you on a laptop?    

Why I use a Mac. Unix-based OS allows for far more complete control. I can see every process.

If I really want to, I can sudo to root and disable the Quicktime digitizer component and core process it uses permanently.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you on a laptop?    

You can cover it with tape and the laptop will still work.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Considering the amount of data the NSA will be getting from Microsoft on every home that has one, they should pay you...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/06/07/nsa-domestic-spying-program-makes-xbox-one-even-scarier/

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Does it still not play 360 games?

Cause at that pricepoint, fuck them, we're getting the new Wii.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Does it still not play 360 games?

Cause at that pricepoint, fuck them, we're getting the new Wii.

No, it doesn't play 360 games.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you on a laptop?    

You can cover it with tape and the laptop will still work.

So your saying you can not put the kinect in a shoe box?

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:28:24 AM EDT
[#33]

...snip

That's the main issue... Your single player content will not function if you aren't connected to the internet.

I think we are on different pages.

I'm talking PR and spin.  Had they said the online check was MSFT version of an anti cheating measure and offered a physical/motorized flip down shield for kinect it would have satisfied the hyper tards that have a one button issue and already are a part of the install base.  

Instead, they have been ignoring it and letting the wildfire run its course.  

That's what I meant by the Reed Hastings school of PR.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

...snip

I'm talking PR and spin.  Had they said the online check was MSFT version of an anti cheating measure and offered a physical/motorized flip down shield for kinect it would have satisfied the hyper tards that have a one button issue and already are a part of the install base.  

It would probably alleviate the concerns of most people... I guess you're right.

The hardcore gamers are the upset ones. They're a vocal minority.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I will just tape a piece of tinfoil and electrical tape across the camera/sensor
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#36]
They didn't mention a single kinect game today.

Kinda weird.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...snip

It would probably alleviate the concerns of most people... I guess you're right.

The hardcore gamers are the upset ones. They're a vocal minority.

It's funny.  I see it as the exact opposite from "hardcore".  That group will buy everything even if they have to sell a reproductive organ.

The used game crowd and those on the fence that honestly don't have the disposable income will scream and screech.

MSFT is taking away a potential toy through pricing so they cry out.  I'm not making fun of it or belittling it.  

But they aren't the group that's driving sales either.  No matter how loudly they claim they are.

(EDIT:  sorry for the typos today.  Trading KO while we talk so I'm typing with one eye on each monitor. )

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So are they going to pay me $450 to allow it shelf space in my entertainment center.   Hmmm that's not enough.  Literally the worst move in game consoles ever.  They just threw the finger at all potential customers.  Microsoft is in desperate need of new leadership.  They don't seem to have a clue what anyone wants.  They didn't have to do much to slam dunk this console but instead they look like retarded spider monkeys trying to f a cactus.

The heck are you talking about?

Windows 8.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They didn't mention a single kinect game today.

Kinda weird.

Cat & Mouse (NSA edition) Platinum!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I would guess that 1/2 the people here bitching about DRM being thrusted upon us are posting from an apple device chalked full of music and movies.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't think that this will be the case.  People raised holy hell when Valve forced everyone to use Steam for Half-Life 2.  Now it's a fact of life.  Admittedly Steam is a better deal than this garbage MS is proposing for Xbox One and on the PC there are quasi-legal alternate options like hacks, but it still has the inherent problem that if Valve/Steam ever goes tango uniform you lose everything you ever bought from them, barring hacks.  Big publishers have figured out that people will put up with this garbage if there is enough demand for a title, hence Valve using HL2 to launch Steam and  EA using Mass Effect 3 to launch Origin.  The only difficulty is having a hot enough commodity to get people to ignore the inconvenience.

The internet required shit is really going to fuck servicemembers. I can't even count all the xboxes I saw overseas.  A tiny portion of the market, to be sure, but still a dick move...
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would guess that 1/2 the people here bitching about DRM being thrusted upon us are posting from an apple device chalked full of music and movies.

Nope...Android only.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Zero interest in this console generation.  Fuck all the extra DRM layers and connectivity hoops they're making consumers jump through.  I have a perfectly capable PC to occupy what little time and interest I have left in gaming.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't think that this will be the case.  People raised holy hell when Valve forced everyone to use Steam for Half-Life 2.  Now it's a fact of life.  Admittedly Steam is a better deal than this garbage MS is proposing for Xbox One and on the PC there are quasi-legal alternate options like hacks, but it still has the inherent problem that if Valve/Steam ever goes tango uniform you lose everything you ever bought from them, barring hacks.  Big publishers have figured out that people will put up with this garbage if there is enough demand for a title, hence Valve using HL2 to launch Steam and  EA using Mass Effect 3 to launch Origin.  The only difficulty is having a hot enough commodity to get people to ignore the inconvenience.

The internet required shit is really going to fuck servicemembers. I can't even count all the xboxes I saw overseas.  A tiny portion of the market, to be sure, but still a dick move...

Steam has competition. (gog, amazon, origin(lol) , etc)

Consoles are closed platforms.

There won't be fantastic deals on the One.

And steam has actual benefits. Unified infrastructure for game clients. Automatic updates for server compatibility, etc.

We already had that on console.

Now we have a restriction with no additional benefits.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What? iTunes music doesn't have DRM anymore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm buying one, to sell for $1000 on ebay

Last time people were paying over $1000+ on ebay because of the short supply of the 360

Hope you waste your money .

No one is going to buy that fucker.  Going to be plenty left on the shelf.

Every screaming kid on Xbox Live will be begging for the new xbox and you know it. THere will still be a huge demand. If I cannot sell it, I can return it. I wont open the box!

Not if they have ever played video games.  Its pretty easy to see this is a terrible product.  Literally every "feature" is a restriction.  If PS4 sucks PC gaming will gain a lot of new gamers.

Do you seriously think parents are going to go out and by little Johnny a $1000 PC or even have a little know how on the subject?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

And the pirates will undoubtedly find a way to circumvent it proving once again that DRM only hurts honest people.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not super up to date on it, but the no used games is a huge turn off,  I don't like to blow a lot of money on something I will play like 5 times, since modern games seem to be getting shorter.

Also, if MS is going to try the "GOLD" subscription bullshit again, where you have to pay a fee to play online they can blow me, I will be going Sony.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm not super up to date on it, but the no used games is a huge turn off,  I don't like to blow a lot of money on something I will play like 5 times, since modern games seem to be getting shorter.

Also, if MS is going to try the "GOLD" subscription bullshit again, where you have to pay a fee to play online they can blow me, I will be going Sony.

Try?  They still use it and it was / is a great sucess.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Bye.

They didn't get the memo that their wildly successful and profitable model was going to lose you in time.

They regret the loss of a single person who didn't subscribe and only focused on used games.

You are pretty much why I'm not worried about the stock price.

EDIT:  titanfall is back on the stream.  It'll be coming to PC as well for those not playing on everything.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top