$100 per game, holy shit!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Will the Xbox 1 have a Blu-ray drive?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What a perfect avatar for that statement.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

As announced, yes.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, that is what happens if you can control  the used game market.

And watch, games will not go down in price at the current rate of about 15 bucks every 3-4 months after release.

The issues with this pile of crap is enough that i am likely to give up console gaming if sony is dumb enough to follow suit.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
$100 is a lot for a game, on the other hand I remember paying around $60-70 for some SNES games when they were new which is more than $100 today.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As announced, yes.  

Will it work if you're unconnected for more than 24 hours?   Can you cover up the Kinetic or unplug it an watch blue ray?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a piece of paper taped on to block my laptop camera, what's so hard about doing the same on the Kinect camera. Paranoia will destroy you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
$100 is a lot for a game, on the other hand I remember paying around $60-70 for some SNES games when they were new which is more than $100 today.

Kinda what I was thinking.

$100 is a bunch.  But heck...  soda out of the machine is $1.00.  A tank of gas is $100.  And so on.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a piece of paper taped on to block my laptop camera, what's so hard about doing the same on the Kinect camera. Paranoia will destroy you.

Couple of points:   If you go into your PC and disable the driver for that web cam, your PC still works, no?

Does you piece of paper block sound?

Do you find it the least bit odd that a device not necessary to play non Kinetic games still can't be unplugged or the machine stops working?   A device with IR camera, HD camera, and directional microphones?

\
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't been watching the stream.

Is this confirmed?  They stated "you cannot play XBOX without Kinect?"
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I was expecting $399 but $499 doesn't seem unreasonable.  High end smart phones fetch that much or more at retail and you don't get nearly the features or life out of them that you do from a console these days.

I'm hoping that price comes with some pretty capable hardware.  I know the specs are supposedly out but until rubber hits the roads it's all nerdish speculation on what you'll actually be able to get out of it.  I was pretty impressed with what they were able to squeeze out of both the Xbox and the Xbox 360 by the end of their respective life cycles.  

All the bullshit about DRM definitely raises my hackles but I'm hoping it's like many of the things on the Xbox 360 in the past which sucked at launch but they smoothed out over time and made for better user experiences.  I remember the VOIP quality was god awful at launch and it was an absolute chore to use your gamertag on multiple consoles.  Both of gripes were corrected by dashboard updates over time and now the Xbox 360 is one slick machine.  

I'd imagine the new DRM scheme will likewise go through a teething period and eventually evolve into something reasonable.  I actually like the DRM scheme on the Xbox 360 as it is for digital downloads because it allows me to download and play any of the games I own on any Xbox I log on to.  This is extremely convenient when you have boxes in multiple locations.  I have one at my primary house and one at my cabin in Northern Michigan so it works out really great.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As announced, yes.  

Will it work if you're unconnected for more than 24 hours?   Can you cover up the Kinetic or unplug it an watch blue ray?

Yes, you can cover up kinnect.  Hell, I already have a friend filing for a patent on his third party version due to the screaming here.

24 hour check is a yes.  No news on speed of patching or exactly what all the reasons for the 24 hour "always on" are.  We should all remember that the Wii was "always on".  It's the potentially sinister temporary bricking when you don't pass a check that has people outraged.  

It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes.  You can disable it in-game, but the Kinect still has to remain plugged in.

Begs the question "WHY" WTF?

ETA:  Read this and see how far your eyebrows get up your forehead before you pop a vein:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

This one in particular:  http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/main

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
For those that balk at the price, let me just remind you of one thing. The 360 came out in 2005. It will have been the current gen console for EIGHT YEARS by the time the new one comes out. Sure, the PC has pulled away from the station as far as performance goes. But the 360 is still a supported machine, and all the new games still come out for it.

I just spent $649 on a GTX780 video card for my PC. Sure it completely destroys, but its not going to be worth taking up space in my spare parts bin 8 years from now.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
People talking about price... Here are some points to consider.

At launch:

Xbox 360 : $399
Plus $150 for Kinect
Plus $99 for wireless adaptor
No Bluray

PS3 : $599
Included wireless and bluray
Plus $100 or so for that Move thing

Xbox One: $499
Wireless included
Blueray included
Kinect Included

Noone should be bitching about pricing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  You can disable it in-game, but the Kinect still has to remain plugged in.

ETA:  Read this and see how far your eyebrows get up your forehead before you pop a vein:

What specifically?

The use of Twitch and DVR alone mean that the privacy documentation should be 100000 pages long.  

I'm well aware my droid or iPhone can be tapped by the government.  At this time, I haven't epoxied my mic and only talk through a headset I can unplug.

I'm not giving you shit.  I'm just watching the BF4 stream and am politely asking for the Clifs notes on what flagged you.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

At launch:

Plus $150 for Kinect
No Bluray

Wireless included
Blueray included
Kinect Included

What is $399 in 2005 worth today?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To be honest there isn't really much there that raises my eyebrows too much.  IF privacy settings work as advertised.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At launch:

Plus $150 for Kinect
No Bluray

Wireless included
Blueray included
Kinect Included

$460

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

At launch:

Plus $150 for Kinect

No Bluray

Wireless included

Blueray included

Kinect Included

$460

Might find interesting.  Originally off curmudgeon gamer

If the online calculator I used is right, the new XOne falls to 432.62 in 2006 as it related to this chart.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Games are going to be $99 each.  Fuck that!!

I don't know many people willing to pay $99 for console games.

I doubt that's true.

Sounds like the NEO-GEO. I remember it coming out and blown away by the graphics. Imagine N64 graphics but right when the SNES came out. The system was by far the best system out but the price of the console $650 at that time in 1991, some games were $300. There is a reason why neo-geo is not a household name. I only knew one kid who ever owned one and his parents were exorbitantly rich.  

3DO.  

Same issue.  Retailed for 2-3k.  I bought mine after winning big on blackjack in Vegas as a 16 year old.  

???? 3do was $699.99 at launch. Also the Neo Geo had support from SNK until 2004 so I would not call that a failure. For the xbox one I am not going to buy it I am one that wants to be able to play the games 20 years from now and the always on bullshit would kill that. I think I am done with new consoles after this current generation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#23]
IIRC, the Xbox 360 Elite was $499
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...snip

???? 3do was $699.99 at launch. Also the Neo Geo had support from SNK until 2004 so I would not call that a failure. For the xbox one I am not going to buy it I am one that wants to be able to play the games 20 years from now and the always on bullshit would kill that. I think I am done with new consoles after this current generation.

Sorry, I adjusted for inflation from the chart above.  The neo Geo was awesome if you lived next to an arcade.  They had a way to switch your profile to the arcade machine if I remember correctly.

The 3d0 was 1k adjusted.  More than I had ever made before.  But the perfect port of Street fighter II was worth it.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The apologists in this thread are mind boggling...

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One thing I hate about the whole connected thing. This means if you do not have broaband say you live in some remote part of Alaska, then your screwed. Or something that hits home to a lot of guys in the military. If you are deployed or u/w you might as well not bring your system. For those not aware guys under way on navy and Coast guard ships play a lot of games on their off time to blow off steam, you now have a lot of people who will not buy the system because of this or be pissed because of this. This is sooo short sighted.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...snip

Sorry, I adjusted for inflation from the chart above.  The neo Geo was awesome if you lived next to an arcade.  They had a way to switch your profile to the arcade machine if I remember correctly.  

The 3d0 was 1k adjusted.  More than I had ever made before.  But the perfect port of Street fighter II was worth it.  

That makes sense. I had a 3do. I wish i had kept it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Have two on preorder. Second is getting fliped
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Have two on preorder. Second is getting fliped

From where?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...snip

That makes sense. I had a 3do. I wish i had kept it.

Still have mine.

If I ever get bored I'm building a monument to my childhood by making an arcade in my next house (assuming my next house isn't a boat).

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At launch:

Plus $150 for Kinect
No Bluray

Wireless included
Blueray included
Kinect Included

It is still worth $399. Interest rates and inflation are non factors in this stagnant economy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#32]
That's not as bad as the initial PS3 price.

Still high though, if I wait a year or two, the price will plummet, and there will be a plentiful supply of cheap games at GameStop.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So are they going to pay me $450 to allow it shelf space in my entertainment center.   Hmmm that's not enough.  Literally the worst move in game consoles ever.  They just threw the finger at all potential customers.  Microsoft is in desperate need of new leadership.  They don't seem to have a clue what anyone wants.  They didn't have to do much to slam dunk this console but instead they look like retarded spider monkeys trying to f a cactus.

If you take into consideration of the ammount of people who use thier xbox for Netflix alone...you can understand why they went the route that they did.  It's a great all around system.  You can entertain the kids with games and when they go off to bed...you get to watch movies and what not.  They are trying to balance it out and make it a center point of your entertainment system.  With this thought in mind, they are doing a great job.

I use my $90 blu-ray player to stream Netflix so I don't have to hear the Xbox fan spinning.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kinda what I was thinking.

$100 is a bunch.  But heck...  soda out of the machine is $1.00.  A tank of gas is $100.  And so on.

And due to all that, I ain't got no money for $100 video games.

Thanks oblama.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Does this mean each disc will be serial numbered?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

In a manner.  I can imagine no other mechanism for linking a specific copy of a game to an account.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Mine is pre ordered from Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It's going to have to have some sort of unique key.  

It's meant to destroy gamefly and force Gamestop into a distribution agreement.  If MSFt can force GME into a 1% fee on used games that's a huge revenue boost off a parallel market they never could touch before.  

Pissing off used gamers is like pissing off the hobos picking through Wendy's dumpster.  They really aren't the target demographic.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Well, guess I'm done with gaming.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Amazon and gamestop
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:53:45 PM EDT
[#41]
This console along with the PS4 will sell like hotcakes. You folks who think all the numbers and costs matter to people who generally put everything on a credit card to make their kids happy with whatever they want.

To you PC folks. How much did you drop on your last video card and how much does the one that comes out 2 months from now cost? Don't act like $500 is some crazy amount of money. I would say no used games may hurt some folks but when these new games come out like Madden, COD, BF4 etc. there are MILLIONS of pre-orders for new games. Those folks obviously dont give a crap about buying the games used.

Go look at pre-sales for BF4 and then see what Ghost brings in. Just those 2 numbers alone will prob be enough for MS or Sony to have a huge profit margin and make their consoles hard to find.

You guys worried about the kinect reporting you JO'ing on the couch to underwear section of the newest Walmart ad really need to get out from under your rock. If you aree\ that worried about it just point it backwards for your 5 minutes of enjoyment.

Someone actually said in this thread these will sit on the shelf and not sell. I hope you were just kidding.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Did you have to pay in full?
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

At launch:

Plus $150 for Kinect
No Bluray

Wireless included
Blueray included
Kinect Included

I didn't need the Kinect or wireless on the 360 to play though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's meant to destroy gamefly and force Gamestop into a distribution agreement.  If MSFt can force GME into a 1% fee on used games that's a huge revenue boost off a parallel market they never could touch before.  

Pissing off used gamers is like pissing off the hobos picking through Wendy's dumpster.  They really aren't the target demographic.

True.

Every game i own for my xbox was bought new.  I do wait for games to come down in price though and the speed at which games drop in price seems to be in relation to used game availability.   I can buy new at 60 bucks or wait 2-4 months and buy at 30-40 bucks.   I very typically wait with the exception of one or two titles a year.

So i do care, in a round about way, that used games be preserved.
I also trade titles regularly with my buddy across the street who does buy used games.  I play most of the time offline with the exception of Borderlands 2 and bf3.  I run a cat5 cable from my living room to the router.   I do not enjoy being connected 24/7

I have a good amount of disposable income, the price of games and the system itself wont hurt me.  It is just that i do not want to reward microsoft for their decisions nor pay to deal with increased frustrations.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you think about it, its no more expensive than the 360. As every console includes the Kinect. The only problem is, is that they are forcing you to buy th darn Kinect.

And the Kinect will be on 24.7

This is important to realize. The Xbox one will not work without the kinect being connected. You must have the camera on, connected at all times in order to use the console, which also must connect at some times to the Internet. In light of the NSA revelations and Microsoft's partnership with the government on PRISM, there is a very real possibility that the camera may be used and accessed by the .gov to spy on people.

No thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.
Every game i own for my xbox was bought new.  I do wait for games to come down in price though and the speed at which games drop in price seems to be in relation to used game availability.   I can buy new at 60 bucks or wait 2-4 months and buy at 30-40 bucks.   I very typically wait with the exception of one or two titles a year.
So i do care, in a round about way, that used games be preserved.

I also trade titles regularly with my buddy across the street who does buy used games.  I play most of the time offline with the exception of Borderlands 2 and bf3.  I run a cat5 cable from my living room to the router.   I do not enjoy being connected 24/7
I have a good amount of disposable income, the price of games and the system itself wont hurt me.  It is just that i do not want to reward microsoft for their decisions nor pay to deal with increased frustrations.

You could certainly be correct.  
I tend to look at the success of games like BF3 or any given MMO that games that are third party reliant to play show very little resistance or even outrage from players.  
They will show zero resistance from new gamers who see it as the new standard.
I honestly only see the tinfoil/insane complaining about privacy (again, who must have glued the mic silent on their phones and never use email and gps) and the justifiable resistance from those who lack broadband or those that rely to used games to play at all.  
Seems to be 3 fringe, but vocal demos and MSFT only profits from 2 of those.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#47]
That's nice, Microsoft. Keep it.

Like I wanted anything other than a handheld controller to control my games.... fuckin retards.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay when it ships.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pay when it ships.

Awesome, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Amazon and gamestop

Wow both of them can fuck themselves.

I signed up on both their sites to be notified when it was available for preorder
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top