Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's an old article.... They announced their policy today.

Sure, game publishers can do some stuff, but they can do that now.

The drm they have now is basically a joke, only a deterrent to the average consumer.  It is nothing compared to what they can do on the next gen consoles.

Do you really think companies like EA would drop their online passes out of the kindness of their heart?   No, they did it because they have a better drm system, one that they can use on both the PS4 and the Xbox One.

People are in for a shock when these consoles launch later this year.  (For example, couldn't sony make a statement at E3 about 3rd party DRM not bein allowed on the PS4 if that was the case?)

I'll be fine not purchasing any games with DRM or measures preventing used game sales.

We'll find out what third parties are up to.

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The drm they have now is basically a joke, only a deterrent to the average consumer.  It is nothing compared to what they can do on the next gen consoles.

Do you really think companies like EA would drop their online passes out of the kindness of their heart?   No, they did it because they have a better drm system, one that they can use on both the PS4 and the Xbox One.

People are in for a shock when these consoles launch later this year.  (For example, couldn't sony make a statement at E3 about 3rd party DRM not bein allowed on the PS4 if that was the case?)

I'll be fine not purchasing any games with DRM or measures preventing used game sales.

EA, Activision, Ubisoft are all in on it.

No Battlefield, no COD, No Tom Clancy Games, No Assassins Creed, No EA sports games, ect.

We are most likely screwed.
Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No Battlefield, no COD, No Tom Clancy Games, No Assassins Creed, No EA sports games, ect.

I'll wait and see.

I'll pirate on pc if I can't sell used games

Link Posted: 6/10/2013 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I'm not really stoked about either. I dont like the no backwards capatibility, I definitely dont like having to have kinect always hooked up (which I dont even have now) and MS using it to spy on me for what ever reason (supposedly they may use it as a DRM feature as it can sense the number of people in the room), that I idea that I cant share games or buy used ones without paying some bull shit fee.

I may just go to a nice PC rig and pirate the shit out of everything. I dont bother with it now because of the hassle, but if consoles are gonna be a hassle why not.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#5]
When my XBOX360 goes tits up, I will.  Not until then.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 4:56:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
thinking about it, those original restriction really don't bother me as much anymore.  

considering gamestop offers you dimes on the dollar for trade-ins I haven't sold a game quite some time
all the games that I play, I generally pre order, battlefield, or COD, so I haven't bought a used game in quite some time
I tried the original ghost recon in my 360 and it was abysmal, don't really play old games, especially last generation
i think i rented two games in the past two years, not really going to miss rentals

but i can see where people would switch to the ps4.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Price isn't bad but M$ is going to have to do alot of work to convince me that they have given up on the DRM crap and I don't have to have the kinect on all the time.

This.

Google is bad enough, theres no way in hell I'm going to let my TV spy on me 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
thinking about it, those original restriction really don't bother me as much anymore.  

considering gamestop offers you dimes on the dollar for trade-ins I haven't sold a game quite some time
all the games that I play, I generally pre order, battlefield, or COD, so I haven't bought a used game in quite some time
I tried the original ghost recon in my 360 and it was abysmal, don't really play old games, especially last generation
i think i rented two games in the past two years, not really going to miss rentals

One of the bigger things is having to be online all of the time to authenticate your account.  If for some reason your Internet is down you can play games.  That's ballsy.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well Sony is now charging for online gaming on the PS4, you need to have psn plus.

Also Sony said they wouldn't be doing any drm by default, they didn't say anything about what drm 3rd parties (publishers) can do.

Hurts that M$ backstabbed you so hard doesn't it.

**ETA** My back still hurts from 2010.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Watched this fresh this AM and still made me laugh out loud.

That's a bitch slap right there.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Huge XBOX fan, but not anymore ... Might jump ship to a PS4 to get my next-gen console fix, or just dump more money into my true preference, the PC master race.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If they are charging for online play they can stick it up their ass. Fuck that.

Are you serious? M$ has been doing it for YEARS.

Also. They one upped M$ and give you plenty of free games and auto game update.

At least you get something for your money instead of paying to play online only.

Didn't I see they are giving away Drive Club for free with P+ next gen?

That in itself is fucking worth it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:00:53 AM EDT
[#14]
havent bought a game system since the nintendo 64, the few games i do buy are computer games
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:01:45 AM EDT
[#15]
If I'd just bought a PS3 instead of a 360 I'd have saved enough Freedombucks to just out-and-out buy a PS4.

Well good for Sony. They might yet get my money.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Will ps4 allow installing the disc to the hdd, and playing the installed game withOUT the disc in the drive?

The "check in" mechanism MS has created to enable playing an installed game without the disc is the only way I can see to do it with physical media.  But i'm not that creative.

Even PC games have to have the disc in the drive.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of the bigger things is having to be online all of the time to authenticate your account.  If for some reason your Internet is down you can play games.  That's ballsy.

i can see that but honestly i really havent played a single player game in years.  if i get on its going to be with some friends to run some battlefield.  if online is down, i get on the reloading sticks

i get it, but i just dont see it impacting me at all

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i can see that but honestly i really havent played a single player game in years.  if i get on its going to be with some friends to run some battlefield.  if online is down, i get on the reloading sticks

i get it, but i just dont see it impacting me at all

Sounds like my situation.  I don't like it simply because of the, "you never know" situations.  There could be a few games I like that don't need the internet.  Say a router breaks or for some odd reason we lose cable, internet runs through that.  I can't fucking play anything?  That's retarded.  I'm a worst case scenario type of guy.  I like options.  We lost cable for a week or so after hurricane sandy.  We had everything else though.  During that week I played some campaign.  Couldn't have done that with X1.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No they do not

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Aside from having to have the disk in to play the soundtrack on Quake I, none of my PC games require this.

Hell... Only thing I can think of that does is Turbotax.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No they do not

My ubisoft games certainly did.  Last PC game for which I had physical media was Splinter Cell: Chaos theory, and it most certainly required the disc in the drive.

I know because I remember looking for hacked .exe files to get around it.

ETA:  Tribes: Vengeance did as well, if i recall correctly.  Been a while.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:25:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No they do not

My ubisoft games certainly did.  Last PC game for which I had physical media was Splinter Cell: Chaos theory, and it most certainly required the disc in the drive.

I know because I remember looking for hacked .exe files to get around it.

ETA:  Tribes: Vengeance did as well, if i recall correctly.  Been a while.
Interesting, I suppose it varies among publishers. The last 3 PC games I actually bought a disc for (Skyrim, Witcher 2, Mass Effect Trilogy) did not require the disc to be in the drive. And those are all different publishers

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:32:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll wait and see.
I'll pirate on pc if I can't sell used games

Had respect for you up to that statement.

You have a right to vote with your wallet.  

Theft is a bitch move no matter how bad your feelings got hurt.  

You have a billion dollar industry that is based around a level of sales and participation.  You aren't acting out V from Vendetta when you pirate something you desperately want to play.  

You're just a petty thief hiding behind a bullshit principle designed to justify your own bad behavior.  

In the end, you justify everything Microsoft is proposing with that one statement.  You also become the entire reason we are dealing with the current DRM issues.  If everyone was honest, we would not have gotten to this point.  And the fact that there are enough people who aren't that it's changing the face of gaming should be enough of a reason alone to hate thieves and pirates.

I know you're probably a decent guy, but seriously rethink that position.  I wouldn't condone carjacking someone because Ford charges for GPS or stealing a "rich" kid's iPad because "he can afford it" and you can't.  

You have to shave your own face in the morning.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Sony fanboys then: The Xbox 360 is only focused on games. The PS3 however comes with a blu-ray player, so it also replaces my entire home entertainment system. Microsoft sucks.

Sony fanboys this morning: The XboxOne is really an entire home entertainment system. On the other hand, Sony made the PS4 just focused on games. Microsoft sucks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Sony fanboys then: The Xbox 360 is only focused on games. The PS3 however comes with a blu-ray player, so it also replaces my entire home entertainment system. Microsoft sucks.

Sony fanboys this morning: The XboxOne is really an entire home entertainment system. On the other hand, Sony made the PS4 just focused on games. Microsoft sucks.

so true

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Does this mean each disc will be serial numbered?

In a manner.  I can imagine no other mechanism for linking a specific copy of a game to an account.

It sounds like the disc will just be a delivery vehicle and what you are REALLY getting with the purchase of the game is an activation code that links the game to your XBox Live account.  You'll notice one of their marketing points is the fact that you can log on to your XBL account on ANY Xbox and play ANY game you previously purchased.  This means you buy a game, activate it on your home consoles, go to your friends house and download it to his console and play it there as well as long as you log in using your XBL account.

The disc itself will have very little utility once you've installed the game and linked it to your account.  It'll literally be a throw away item.  I was wondering how Microsoft was going to handle the transition to eliminating physical media and this appears to be it.  

Everybody is pissed about about the DRM scheme but don't be surprised if it turns out that Microsoft is ahead of the curve on this one.  I get that the DRM scheme is going to suck for people in the used market, but for others it will end up being a feature.  I've got a 360 at my house and my vacation cabin.  Not having to remember to lug games between the two places or purchase redundant games for both locations is a feature for me.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#28]
crosspost

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
Does this mean each disc will be serial numbered?

In a manner.  I can imagine no other mechanism for linking a specific copy of a game to an account.

It sounds like the disc will just be a delivery vehicle and what you are REALLY getting with the purchase of the game is an activation code that links the game to your XBox Live account.  You'll notice one of their marketing points is the fact that you can log on to your XBL account on ANY Xbox and play ANY game you previously purchased.  This means you buy a game, activate it on your home consoles, go to your friends house and download it to his console and play it there as well as long as you log in using your XBL account.
The disc itself will have very little utility once you've installed the game and linked it to your account.  It'll literally be a throw away item.  I was wondering how Microsoft was going to handle the transition to eliminating physical media and this appears to be it.  
Everybody is pissed about about the DRM scheme but don't be surprised if it turns out that Microsoft is ahead of the curve on this one.  I get that the DRM scheme is going to suck for people in the used market, but for others it will end up being a feature.  I've got a 360 at my house and my vacation cabin.  Not having to remember to lug games between the two places or purchase redundant games for both locations is a feature for me.

Logic doesn't really have a place in this yet.  It's mostly the very angry used game people or the fanboys.  Both tend to be so tied to their own bias they don't pay attention well.

SNE showed a few ps3 exclusives and their show hinged on a display of a non exclusive game --- Destiny.

I would hazard half the folks watching last night still think Destiny is a ps4 exclusive as well as Elder Scrolls: online.  Neither are.

SNE might get a boost in early sales, but the later release date says even they don't think they will.  

Even if they do, can they hold that level of sales through year two and three when consoles start to turn a profit?  The answer right now is a resounding, "No".

How many of the fans here think Nintendo won the last console war?  They sold more consoles than either SNE or MSFT so they won right?

Ok, now we can see there must be other factors involved and PR is certainly one of them.

The biggest draw though is exclusives.  SNE doesn't have them and MSFT can buy them.

I love SNE.  I love them the way I loved Sega and Nintendo.  

My love for the well crafted titles they support doesn't effect the bottom line.  When Halo 5 comes out and Titanfall hits you will see SNe sales retard.  Most of us thought SNE was dead.  They simply cannot afford to play with MSFT right now.  

Which... is why they shot the Nintendo wad.  Focus on smaller and original IPs and a lower price point and customer satisfaction.

Wont play forever and we saw it 6 years ago with the Wii.

We don't even need to go over how the PC fanboys are playing on MSFT systems which gives MSFT another avenue to attack SNE and they know it.

It's a PR game now.

MSFT doesn't care if you buy a single Xone year one.  The 360 sales are making them money and they are supporting co development to keep pushing those sales.  If they see you buying year 2 or three, they will laugh all the way to the bank.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hopefully, competition does what it's supposed to do and forces MS to back off the DRM.  I don't buy used games so I couldn't care less, but I prefer the Xbox platform and especially Xbox Live - but if the friends I game with go to PS4 I will do the same.  99% of my gaming is online, much of it with a group of arfcommers with whom I play FPS like COD and BF.

Not a chance in the world.  It took me awhile to understand why they did this but it's clear to me now.  The DRM scheme is all about making physical discs obsolete.  This is Microsoft's way of transitioning to that future as most people are still pretty comfortable with the idea of working with discs.  

They were already moving in this direction with the Xbox 360.  Any game you download on XBL is tied to your XBL account and can be played on any Xbox, not just the one you bought it on.  Now they are doing this with physical copies as well on the XBONE.  The disc just becomes a delivery vehicle, interchangeable with the internet, and what you are really purchasing is the license for the game which is tied to your account.

The downside is that used games and game sharing will be fucked up but the upside is that the days of switching discs or having to bring your physical copy with you to place elsewhere are over.

Microsoft is doing a shitty job as usual of explaining themselves on this.  I didn't get it at first, but now I get it.  It's a feature for me as I don't buy used games but I do use the ones I buy on multiple boxes.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least you get something for your money instead of paying to play online only.

I have never owned a crap box due to the having to pay to play online. The reason i like the PS3 is free online gaming.
I might consider paying the $50 a year, but they will have to make it damn convincing to do so.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:03:13 AM EDT
[#32]
in the end i really think the xbox1 is going to win out, while at its sole the ps4 and xbox 1 are gaming consoles, the amount of hardcore gamers is pretty small compared to the casual gamer/parent shopping for child, or people who use it for hulu,amazon, or other enertainment pourposes. considering that most hardcore gamers build up super PC's they are not really going to bother with a outdated console on day one.

the PS4 may be a better gamming machine, but will get smoked by a high end PC the day it hits shelvs, so i think that alot of the stuff xbox 1 is offering is going to go a long way to preserving its place in the market.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have never owned a crap box due to the having to pay to play online. The reason i like the PS3 is free online gaming.
I might consider paying the $50 a year, but they will have to make it damn convincing to do so.

Think about it. Drive Club is a brand new game. How much will you have to pay for it? $60? $70? $100?  (haven't seen game prices yet...don't care how much they will be anyway)

Pay $50 once and you get that game plus countless others all year long.

I'd say that's worth it.

**ETA** I do think it was stupid to go the pay to play online route yes.... but I also find it stupid someone wouldn't get Plus. I mean honestly. $50 for a year and you give me a $60 game right off the bat? And more all year long? Your head would have to be pretty thick to not see the good deal in that.

Hell I bought it Day 1. They weren't even offereing free $60 games then. The Auto Game Update was the only thing that appealed to me.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about it. Drive Club is a brand new game. How much will you have to pay for it? $60? $70? $100?  (haven't seen game prices yet...don't care how much they will be anyway)
Pay $50 once and you get that game plus countless others all year long.
I'd say that's worth it.
**ETA** I do think it was stupid to go the pay to play online route yes.... but I also find it stupid someone wouldn't get Plus. I mean honestly. $50 for a year and you give me a $60 game right off the bat? And more all year long? Your head would have to be pretty thick to not see the good deal in that.
Hell I bought it Day 1. They weren't even offereing free $60 games then. The Auto Game Update was the only thing that appealed to me.

Your bias is really bad.

Both companies are giving away games.  MSFT is actually giving more.

I have both services right now and will keep both.

You keep inserting what you "want" to get out of a gaming system vs what is on the table.

Gold gets you 2 free titles a month.  Plus gets you 1 plus a mix.  ---as they were proposed recently.

FYI: Sony's instant games rotate.  It's a pretty great system if you've been a member a while.  New members have access to what comes up when they are a member.  That means people like me have more access than you.  Don't know if that's changing, but it't a great way to try to keep people loyal to their system.

EDIT:  MSFT or SNE could drop or change the system at anytime.  For the casual gamer, I really do think +plus is a good deal and the integration with Vita is great if you own one.  I think +plu may win over a big chunk of the used gamer crowd.  No real guess as to whether it's profitable over the console cycle yet.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#36]
No need to replace the Ps3 yet so neither.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your bias is really bad.    

Of course it is.

My eyes are open.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your bias is really bad.    

Of course it is.

My eyes are open.

Lol.  

I like you and am not trying to give you shit.  But you're a fanboy.

The absolute worst kind.  

The problem is that you just latched onto a new source of fandom so you will only see what supports your opinion for a while.  It's like hanging out with born again Christians.  

No matter how big a fan you are, let's really pick this conversation up a year from now again and see where things stand.  

I do think you're a good guy.   So, again, don't take me as someone pissing in your Cheerios.  But your enthusiasm is based on what you want to see and how you feel you've been wronged.  Both of those issues exist in your head and not on a balance sheet.

I hope SNE does well.  I've said that over and over.  Both SNE and MSFT can survive without their games division.  SNe has had to do it the past 6 years.  

Nintendo tried most of what's going on last console cycle.  It ended with NTDOY selling more untis than MSFT and SNE (at times combined!), but didn't net them "winner" or grow the bottom line to help produce more games.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 8:51:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
snip.

No love lost.

Like I said... I used to be a huge 360 fan boy. I looked at PS3 people like they were lepers.

Funny how time changes things.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I don't see how the Xbox is more of a home entertainment system than the PS4

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see how the Xbox is more of a home entertainment system than the PS4

It looked like MSFT pulled showing games during the first release because the News was covering the AAPL hearings and the tornado damage.

They only showed off the TV side for the most part.  

They are both evenly matched, but targeted at different groups right now.

MSFT has the rights to Fantasy Football and integration into the NFL games in real time.  Very cool to that crowd and to a non gamer crowd.

SNE has a massive catalog of movies and music under the Sony label and talked about pushing a "Sony TV" channel last night.

Right now, the integration, if you see it as a plus is a big win for MSFT

If you want to see indie programming under the Sony label and potentially what could become a "Sony premium" movie channel like Starz or HBO, then Sony has the win.

Both want to be your primary set top box, but the space right now is symbiotic.  MSFT is pushing for normal TV to run through the xbox.  SNE wants to be your destination for eveything not TV.

Win win for people who get both.

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 10:54:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the community of Xbox live gaming if you are into ist person shooters makes it worth it...always someone on line to shoot in the face
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#43]
PS4 + PC
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
PS4 + PC

/thread
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

PS4 + PC

Thats my plan

Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Sony shall never cross the threshold of my home.

I'm all for the new Xbox. I'm pretty excited for it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a PS/3 that I will be playing until I have exhausted all my options in Skyrim.

Which will be never.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a PS/3 that I will be playing until I have exhausted all my options in Skyrim.

Which will be never.

I am STILL finding new caves
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#49]
I was going to buy the Xbox One but not now since they are restricting the used game market. I don't even buy used games but it's principle of the thing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2013 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
$499

November.

Eta: Source - E3 announcement.

Let's add a poll.

Are you going to buy the xbox one?

Not at that price.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top