Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I make sure they know who I am.

Sometimes it’s good to be truthful.
View Quote

yup, I fill mine out with nothing held back. I'm civil and back up what I say with examples, but I won't lie and say things are great when they aren't. From the examples provided and projects mentioned, my managers will know exactly who submitted it.

I can replace them much easier than they can replace me - and they know it (Especially after the last opening for a similar position took six months to fill, and the person the brought in still isn't as good as I am)
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This!  I wish everyone on my team would just put 5s.  Then we don't have to have meetings that are a waste of time to understand the low scores and how to raise them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We each get a different link.  Took me 2 minutes to complete this year.   All 5s.   I don't want any more culture help.  Please God no.  

This!  I wish everyone on my team would just put 5s.  Then we don't have to have meetings that are a waste of time to understand the low scores and how to raise them.

Last job I had we'd get together as a team to review the survey results.  Huge company.  Well over 100,000 employees.  Categories like pay, work-life balance, working conditions, management local, management corporate, and corporate communications would get hammered.  Our team manager would go into great detail for the results for each category.  Year after year the conclusion was the company was going to fix all the issues by improving corporate communications.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Managers who use these things vindictively deserve the negative feedback they receive.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've straight up cussed out and told it like it is with one of the do nothing waste of oxygen managers at my work on those anon surveys.  Nothing ever comes of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything electronic is questionable.  That said, I normally answer the questions honestly.  I’ve always felt that if you’re afraid of the answer, don’t ask the question.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#6]
We had these for several years at a place I used to work.  They were a joke.  Finally, the reviews of management were so bad they just gave up and declared victory.

Supposed to be confidential.  I always signed mine with my phone number in case they had any questions.  Never got a call back.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to fill out an anonymous exit survey when I left my last employer. I already was hired(literally leaving Friday, starting Monday). new boss started me at absolute max based on my interview, I was solid.

I likely shouldn't have said "im 99% sure this isn't anonymous as you wanted my age, title,  years with company, years with department, years of education, sex, ethnic background, race, languages spoken at home, languages spoken at work, and THEN my actual survey questions. Since those aren't identifying characteristics and couldn't EASILY be abused. In that spirit, there is a currently employed male, x  to y age group, speaks X language at work, has XYZ education, works at XYZ location, X years with company, Y race… that has been committing felony time card tampering to result in OT denials, this was covered up by the unnamed emplyoee's supervisor who is X years with company, y education, z race, a age, b years old, ect. AND there is a middle level manager that has been using quid pro quo sexual harrassment on lower level female employees these emplyoees are unidentified but could be aged X, rank y, race z, education x, ect ect. If you would like actual details on these events I can "

apparently things got … SPORTING after I left. Management brushing things under the rug from higher corporate MIGHT have gotten a little rough.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Never be the nail sticking up during those "anonymous" surveys as you might just get hammered.

I learned that lesson a few years ago when I gave a blistering review following a "large event" in my area, specifically criticizing the decision to remove people from the field for housekeeping in the office.  The survey agency read my comment verbatim aloud in front of everyone, and leadership up the chain were P-I-S-S-E-D.  They tried everything to get the rep. to tell them who wrote the comment.  Failing that, they asked those in attendance who wrote that comment to fess up so that they can discuss the issue on the spot.  When no one stepped up (I certainly wasn't going to come clean after seeing the faces of my supervisors), one of the supervisors said, "It must have been Employee X because she is not here today."  I have no idea if anything was said to her about "her" comment, but she worked there for another ten years.  And, no one ever came to me because I am always the "quiet one" who usually does his best not to create ripples.

View Quote

So you let Ms. Employee X take the rap for your comments.

That's a courageous move, Cotton.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Few years ago I worked for the VA as a nurse. One my peers that had been there for years said management would 'take the survey for you if you don't.'

I know for a fact that at least 8 of my coworkers did not take the survey, myself included. It was one those typical bullshit how I feel I am being treated by management etc survey online.

Soon, an email came out from nursing admin thanking everyone for taking the survey and they had like a 104% participation rate. We heard management got a bonus for promoting such a positive environment.  

View Quote

Today, those managers are the running the elections in Belarus. And now you know THE REST OF THE STORY.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Heh. I wrote a truly anonymous course evaluation tool, and published the source code to prove it to the users.  I did explain that if I were served a warrant for some reason that I could probably figure out who submitted what by comparing access log time stamps and questions answered timestamps and ip addresses and such but that would only be if a user actually put something worthy of LE attention in a comment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I called put my company for its public declaration of wokeness in this years survey. Mentioned things like caving into political pressure from a VERY LOUD and vocal minority discriminates half their employees and that they should focus more on making money instead of being PC. From what i understand they send the data to a 3rd party.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I work in a software company that builds these.

Ours are anonymous down to the database level.  we could, theoretically,  get a developer to get into the DB, match the GUID key to the input and figure it out,  but it would require a company to come to us, and for us to do a bunch of work to pull that data out.  

they ARE anonymous to the customer.

that being said, the stupid stuff we see employees put in is hilarious.   "I hope these are anonymous,  but my boss, steve anderson, is a total moron.  He's fat and smells bad and is stupid.  Please don't tell him that I said he's an ahole.  signed, Bob"

It's HILARIOUS what people put into comments sometimes.  Kills me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm a lesbian Asian.
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just don't fill them out.
They are traps.

View Quote

This. I take issues to people who can do something about them...not HR and a circle jerk.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
To increase IT security awareness, my employer will also send out fake phishing emails trying to get people to click a link or open an attachment. When the company first graded employee results, they let it slip that "87% of you didn't even open the email! Good Job!"
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best thing to do is either not answer, or lie and give them high ratings on everything.  We're dealing with this at work now after several millennial new hires answered the survey honestly, bent the survey curve down, and brought corporate down on all our heads.

Based on management's reaction, it wasn't anonymous either.  Millennial tears were shed over the special high intensity training that has been implemented.
View Quote

The SHIT?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:22:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's ironic they say it's anon, but you have to log into the company's VPN to take it, then it ask whos your manager, dept, role, tenure etc.

They never turn out well and of course biased in most cases too, jmho.
View Quote

Right?

They also ask what my position is when I’m literally the only one in my company.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a lesbian Asian.

Go on...

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
lie like a rug, just like with pollsters
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go on...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a lesbian Asian.

Go on...
it means he's a guy with a penis
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't understand the point of anonymous surveys anyway.  I can't realistically expect management to address the issues I'm bringing up with a 2 sentence blurb and a circled number, so I always put my name on them somewhere.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
it means he's a guy with a penis
View Quote

Well that's no fun at all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm 100% sure they don't read mine, anonymous or not.

I've only talked to HR twice in a decade, once for insurance paperwork, another to be interviewed when they were trying to fire someone else.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Most I know do not participate in the Federal Viewpoint surveys as they do not trust they are anon.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:00:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, tell a department full of s/w engineers, database folks, and networking engineers that the computerized survey is anonymous.

The HR folks couldn't figure out why everyone was laughing at them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Our surveys are worded in a way that shifts all blame to our direct report.  Provide feedback aimed at getting C suite staff to do better, your immediate leader is punished.

One year our execs did some really scummy stuff.  More than a 3rd of my department left over the course of a few months.  I decided to give the survey another try...  same thing.  The structure and wording allows the execs to completely disavow any responsibility.

I won't participate anymore.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I called put my company for its public declaration of wokeness in this years survey. Mentioned things like caving into political pressure from a VERY LOUD and vocal minority discriminates half their employees and that they should focus more on making money instead of being PC. From what i understand they send the data to a 3rd party.
View Quote

bwahahahahahha

My former company was really starting to push the whole diversity thing middle of this year.  To the point where if you didn't participate in some sort of activity (where they were telling you how bad you were if you were white, and how every white person has oppressed POCs and made them feel bad, whether you knew it or not) you were getting talked down-to.  I had several colleagues tell me that they were afraid to voice their concerns or opinions over that direction because they were afraid of retribution.  And there was at least one person who DID voice an opinion and was told that their dissention was proof positive that they were harboring racist undertones.

I'm sure this cycle's engagement survey was going to be full of people sharing said concerns.  But knowing the way that company spins things, they'll probably say that there were "many comments confirming the need for continued diversity activities".  Heck, it was once a great company, and still has a lot going for it, for sure.  But they have been seen completely ignoring significant internal management issues - one of which completely wrecked a very large organization within the company - all for the sake of letting people take care of their pals instead of caring about the impact on the people (whom they still claim to put first - although that was once the case but is no more, honestly).
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We even get a individual code to enter. You know for "security" purposes...
View Quote

I would purposely type in my code incorrectly, temporary dyslexia  or something .

I'd get calls from the organizer of the survey why I hadn't submitted my survey.  I asked, "if it's anonymous, how do you know if I submitted it or not?"

after that, I'd purposely give vague comments and alternate between 1's and 5's for the scores.  A couple years of doing that, they stopped asking me to do 360s since it was obviously F'ing with their grades.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I was in part of a staff with only 4 people in our group. Anonymous yea right

One of the questions was "Are you currently looking for a new job"

I stupidly answered yes, then a few months later we were called together to review the answers for solutions. when they got to that question there was only 1 person who answered TRUTHFULLY which was me. My manager got to that question and looked at me when he read the results.

From then on I never answered them truthfully.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's ironic they say it's anon, but you have to log into the company's VPN to take it, then it ask whos your manager, dept, role, tenure etc.

View Quote

We each get a special link to ours. I tell the truth, don't lie and I try to be objective. Would this be an "Employee climate survey"
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There are plenty of legitimate ways to both track who has responded and keep the response content anonymous.  I seriously doubt any of them are ever used, of course, but it's possible.  Your HR drone just isn't very good at thinking for itself.
View Quote

if they can track who responded, then they can always track who responded with what.  They are never anonymous.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:36:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Managers who use these things vindictively deserve the negative feedback they receive.
View Quote

True, but that's little comfort to the guy standing in the unemployment line due to his feedback on his "anonymous" survey.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

True, but that's little comfort to the guy standing in the unemployment line due to his feedback on his "anonymous" survey.
View Quote

No argument there.

My comment was aimed at the poor managers.
It's a self fulfilling prophecy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No argument there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No argument there.

from what I have seen in my limited experience, Dunning-Kruger Theory could have been created by watching poor managers.  

Poor managers: "If people leave, it's not because we managers are shitty, it's because those people who left didn't have what it takes to serve on OUR TEAM!!! We didn't want those slackers here anyway, they were malcontents who never fit in!"
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

from what I have seen in my limited experience, Dunning-Kruger Theory could have been created by watching poor managers.  

Poor managers: "If people leave, it's not because we managers are shitty, it's because those people who left didn't have what it takes to serve on OUR TEAM!!! We didn't want those slackers here anyway, they were malcontents who never fit in!"
View Quote

Navy SWO (Surface Warfare Officer) Dogma to a tee.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#37]
We had one last year at work but I challenged them to contact me so I could tell them more details about what I put in there. I put my name, email and shift hours so they wouldn't miss me.

I work in a shitty position for my city.  Fire me if you want, but when I do the job better than 90% of the others and come up with ways to improve our process a couple of times a year, it'll look bad for them.

I never heard from anyone

We were given a simple url so we could do it on our personal device.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes these are always hilarious.

First they send them to your email, so I took the common url and vpn'ed from home from Europe. Then they send them with a unique url to your email, then remind you that you've not done them. Admin keeps pushing them because they're tied to their bonuses.

One year an entire department ignored it, and surprise they still had 100% participation. Our department avoided it as much as we could until the chief of staff stopped by our department to encourage us to do it. So we all did, but we all identified as female native american's that were in a same sex marriage and had worked in the department for 20+ years.

When the survey closing meeting was going on they flashed through the participation numbers. But we caught it, our department had 8 people responding, only we only had 6 people total in the department.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Ya we have the same BS
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My favorite is when management sends out completion percentages by department asking for participation.  As a manager I get % complete for my reports and requests to meet a certain %.  

For several years I’ve been submitting neutral responses to all questions for all the reasons shown in this thread.

It’s sad/funny that management wonders why participation is low and results are neutral.
View Quote

I submitted a lot of neutral answers to questions this year on mine.  If they count those as “negative” responses there’s no further explanation.  NMP...
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BigLaw firm dogma as well.

Then they wring their hands about "why aren't there more female senior partners in BigLaw?"   It's because women are more likely to have the courage to say "this 80hr/week lifestyle is bullshit, I actually WANT to see my spouse and kids and the house I live in, I'm OUT!" and they go solo or to a small firm with better quality of life.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I work in a software company that builds these.

Ours are anonymous down to the database level.  we could, theoretically,  get a developer to get into the DB, match the GUID key to the input and figure it out,  but it would require a company to come to us, and for us to do a bunch of work to pull that data out.  

they ARE anonymous to the customer.

that being said, the stupid stuff we see employees put in is hilarious.   "I hope these are anonymous,  but my boss, steve anderson, is a total moron.  He's fat and smells bad and is stupid.  Please don't tell him that I said he's an ahole.  signed, Bob"

It's HILARIOUS what people put into comments sometimes.  Kills me.
View Quote

What's funny is when Bill leaves that comment.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#43]
The Human Resources dept at the company I worked for decided to send out a questionnaire asking what we thought of them. It was a truly anonymous survey that was put out for everyone and was attached to their time card.
There were three girls who worked in Human Resources. When they got the results back they closed the office door and cried for three hours. No lie! They never asked again. Apparently, they had no clue what people thought.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#44]
I did not fill out my anonymous survey for the company this year due to that very reason.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#45]
HR is evil and cares nothing for employees or the products that define the company.

Change my mind.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Take it from me, they are not anonymous
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I work for a large hospital system.
for over 20 years I have watched anonymous departmental and hospital surveys be turned in by employee's...

I have watched dozens of employee's be called into management offices for issues they wrote on their surveys and get their asses burnt.
View Quote

I work in management in a fairly large Financial Service firm.  Our anonymous management feedback surveys are ...anonymous and the data is aggregated so you can’t see how any individual rated you.  Some of the comments - if they put enough info in - can be used to identify people but otherwise - no.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I gave my two weeks notice on one.

Turns out they are not anonymous.

Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Got confronted today about why I haven't taken ours-optional but they hound you until the deadline. I told her I'll take the survey when it's not tied to my password. Sure, nobody local can see who gave what answers, but somebody somewhere up the chain can. That, and don't tell me it's anonymous while requiring my login and password. It's insulting.

She called me a conspiracy theorist.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top